Fire Emblem Switch Teaser Expectations

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Introducing Barcel City! And the Grass Starter ends up becoming a Grass-Fighting Matador. 

I'm going to be totally skeptical of whatever story gets shown in the trailers, or even skip it and the support dialogue outright. After Fates, tis best to be wary. Why one should be wary going back to Radiant Dawn if you're a major Micaiah fan. I say this because what do RD, Awakening, Fates, and SoV all have in common? The plot presentation shown in the early trailers and info releases is betrayed. Micaiah is important to RD, but after P1 she no longer is the lone nor central star in the sky (not that I'm raving mad about this- I'm not but everyone can agree Micaiah needed more)- they also dropped that weird Micaiah-Caineghis duel (which the Red Lion King would have deserved to win). Awakening overemphasizes the Chrom-Lucina duel in its promotional stuff, which lasts for the whole of five turns in Chapter 4. Fates- there is no real choice after the one, there is no reform of Nohr, the birthright is a tenuous stepchildright. SoV- way of peace and way of the sword each different and of merit,-nope! It's Alm's perfect way or Celica's overly passive one.

But this doesn't really matter to me since unless FE pulls a Mega Man X7 in gameplay (to name a major changeup bomb), I'm totally going to get it. And therefore, the teaser, which I doubt would show off much gameplay, is meaningless to me. 

Was there something saying that they wanted to try continuing with SoV's 3D exploration segments? Would FE Switch do that, or would Switch 2? Since SoV wasn't released and fan feedback, if they wanted it, obtained by the time FES started development? How late into the development cycle could one add such a feature? 

I'm trying to wrap my head around how one could make an open world FE work, since open world is hot nowadays. Not saying FE should go in that direction, I'm just trying to think how they could if they wanted to.

At least Lucina was important in the story even if that duel was just a one chapter thing (and anyway, the own game intro shows you that "Marth" is actually an ally)... I feel a lot more betrayed for the bull crap that Fates did... specially that scene with Azura and Corrin... and I feel the own intro betrayed me about the game all things considered.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, gralbeord said:

that makes it sound like the dungeon sections of echoes but just for the whole overworld. not sure I really want FE to go that direction

Honestly, I'd be fine if they started a spin-off series that followed Shadows of Valentia's example. Make a spin-off series that was more oriented around RPG mechanics like overworlds, dungeons, and stuff like that, but keep the main series more streamlined and strategy focused.

Kind of like how the SMT series always has SMT as its mainline, hardcore, no-nonsense JRPG games, but then you get spin-offs like Persona and stuff for more deviation for the main formula.

Edited by Slumber

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

Honestly, I'd be fine if they started a spin-off series that followed Shadows of Valentia's example. Make a spin-off series that was more oriented around RPG mechanics like overworlds, dungeons, and stuff like that, but keep the main series more streamlined and strategy focused.

Kind of like how the SMT series always has SMT as its mainline, hardcore, no-nonsense JRPG games, but then you get spin-offs like Persona and stuff for more deviation for the main formula.

lol, inb4 Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd actually welcome a second TMS. But I understand if others don't.

See, I wouldn't mind this so much if the hypothetical TMSFE2 either included more Shin Megami Tensei references or pulled from more games like Jugdral and/or Elibe that veterans like as well.  The lack of either of these made the original very unappealing as a crossover.

Ah well. Personally, I still liked it just fine for what it was. But anyway, I'd think it's best we have a main game next at the moment, not another spin-off of any kind.

For my bet, I’ll take an opening shot of the protagonist’s bation’s flag waving high, before pannning down to see a big battle taking place before flashing to see some gameplay and epic music before we see some cinematic cuts featuring the protagonist, and then eventually cut to the title reveal to end the reveal trailer. 

First we see the sun, then the camera pans down revealing a japanese highschool while a j-pop number starts up, the camera then cuts to the main character's stalker's enormous cleavage, then cuts to her right thigh showing that her skirt is much too short to fit with typical school uniform standards, we then cut to our resident loli holding a dragonstone to remind us all that this is fire emblem, we then get a brief montage of the avatars your harem, and then face rubbing, lots and lots of face rubbing. and then we get the reveal of our protagonist... You! a typical japanese highschool boy, who also happens to be really good at sword fighting for whatever reason, and is also an otaku. also, the fire emblem (a notebook with tips on how to pick up women) is inside the girls locker room.

I was told to keep my expectations low, this is the result. I guess that I can say that it's hard to be disappointed with this kind of thought on my mind.

when's that bus coming?

9 hours ago, MetalAmethyst said:

Come time for the next Nintendo Direct, if they announce Fire Emblem's title, who will be the one to post it on this site?

Not me! We should probably let one of the Vincents do it.

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

First we see the sun, then the camera pans down revealing a japanese highschool while a j-pop number starts up, the camera then cuts to the main character's stalker's enormous cleavage, then cuts to her right thigh showing that her skirt is much too short to fit with typical school uniform standards, we then cut to our resident loli holding a dragonstone to remind us all that this is fire emblem, we then get a brief montage of the avatars your harem, and then face rubbing, lots and lots of face rubbing. and then we get the reveal of our protagonist... You! a typical japanese highschool boy, who also happens to be really good at sword fighting for whatever reason, and is also an otaku. also, the fire emblem (a notebook with tips on how to pick up women) is inside the girls locker room.

I was told to keep my expectations low, this is the result. I guess that I can say that it's hard to be disappointed with this kind of thought on my mind.

when's that bus coming?

Don't forget the picture mode! Reference: that one game where the protagonists runs around taking panty shots

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

when's that bus coming?

The thing that kills me inside is that the audience that would eat that shit up eclipses the audience that would enjoy an old-school FE. 

And to further darken my soul, it's that reason that makes me think "That sounds dumb and awful, but it's best for business, so it's totally likely." 

I'd totally take TMS#FE2. Heck, right now I'd rather have that over FE16 since I feel very burnt out on FE after everything on the 3DS.

At least, TMS should get a port to Switch. I'd double-dip to show support because that series doesn't deserve to die so soon.

Early Fates reveal trailers emphasized the choice split, which is bately a quarter of the game.

They need to reveal the premise, at least, but yeah, the Chrom/"Marth" duel in the arena is supposed to be the set-piece scene of Awakening, for some reason. It's even referenced in the Robin and Lucina Smash trailer, despite being far less important over all compared to the "choice" in Fates.

I don't recall Echoes using anything special in the promotion materials other than just showing off how freaking pretty it is.

Speaking of Smash, I feel Smash 5 has a good chance of getting announced, but I doubt it will release in 2018. Maybe Chrom will finally get in, but I feel adding the next game's lead would be more sensible. Corrin acted as some handy cross-promotion with the release window. (Also wasn't a clone, which was a step up from Lucina.)

16 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

You! a typical japanese highschool boy, who also happens to be really good at sword fighting for whatever reason, and is also an otaku. also, the fire emblem (a notebook with tips on how to pick up women) is inside the girls locker room.

One little detail you're missing, the Fire Emblem has a dot on it for each dateable girl plus one in the middle for the guy. It's an easy way of seeing how far you've progressed in all your relationships. To unleash your true power, you must progress all of these relationships far enough that they all perform a magical song to power you up in the final fight.

I liked TMS a lot, but purely for the gameplay. I never got into the story, nor ever watched one of the those JPOP numbers, not even the Fire Emblem Opera of Light scene. The characters, my liking for them isn't that deep (not that you have to like everyone deeply), because there isn't much depth to anyone and everyone is a cliche. The aesthetics, the normal music, and some of the costume/carnage/mirage designs were quite cool.

I'd take a sequel, ideally featuring different games as the inspirations, and perhaps with a non-Japan setting the way Sakura Wars that beloved anime pretending to be game series went on to Paris and New York after the first 2-3 games were in Japan. I don't hate Sakura Wars or have ever played one by the way, but the heavy emphasis on anime dating scenes would keep me from ever playing it.

13 hours ago, Jave said:

At least, TMS should get a port to Switch. I'd double-dip to show support because that series doesn't deserve to die so soon.

With playable Illusory Dancer Maiko using an Olivia Mirage! And also using Magic to attack, since there is significantly less Magic use than Physical use in TMS, and packing super support skills named after the Rings in FE7. Aya also gets her own set of character sidequests showing her rehabilitation after years of possession. Itsuki is no longer mandatory in every battle too. Plus a business management minigame for unlocking trivial Fortuna Office and Bloom Palace decor and maybe a couple costumes. Add a full fledged bonus dungeon while we're at it.

...Is that too much to ask for?

On 1/4/2018 at 11:24 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Introducing Barcel City! And the Grass Starter ends up becoming a Grass-Fighting Matador. 

I'm going to be totally skeptical of whatever story gets shown in the trailers, or even skip it and the support dialogue outright. After Fates, tis best to be wary. Why one should be wary going back to Radiant Dawn if you're a major Micaiah fan. I say this because what do RD, Awakening, Fates, and SoV all have in common? The plot presentation shown in the early trailers and info releases is betrayed. Micaiah is important to RD, but after P1 she no longer is the lone nor central star in the sky (not that I'm raving mad about this- I'm not but everyone can agree Micaiah needed more)- they also dropped that weird Micaiah-Caineghis duel (which the Red Lion King would have deserved to win). Awakening overemphasizes the Chrom-Lucina duel in its promotional stuff, which lasts for the whole of five turns in Chapter 4. Fates- there is no real choice after the one, there is no reform of Nohr, the birthright is a tenuous stepchildright. SoV- way of peace and way of the sword each different and of merit,-nope! It's Alm's perfect way or Celica's overly passive one.

Wait where was this shown? That's pretty hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Wait where was this shown? That's pretty hilarious. 

Don't know where it came from or the context (I'd say just look up the earliest released info on Goddess of Dawn/RD if you want to find that out), but here is the picture:

Spoiler

changesmikca2.jpg

Well it looks like Micaiah will absolutely lose at 50 hit and 4HKO vs. Caineghis killing in 2 100% Hits. Micaiah, how did this happen to you and why is something burning in the background? The only chapter with such a background in the final game is 3-3 (the tent and ramparts are reminiscent of it too), which makes this extremely strange and wondering if there was some sort of scrapped actual story going on here, or if the picture was just for showing off the new MC locked in epic battle with an old powerhouse who we never actually saw fight in PoR. Note Micaiah is also only a Light Sage here but has 60 HP, her finished game Light Priestess HP cap is only 50. Maybe they weren't going to do unique Beorc HP caps for individual classes and only 40 unpromoted 60 promoted again?

You also have this beta title screen

changesfe10logo.jpg

Seriously hope it really is this Thursday as well I know a January direct is obviously confirmed but with all these false leaks (although the Vampire one isn't done in really yet but being honest this likely is too) I really want to see this game soon its been almost over a year of 0 info its about time for it's official unveiling for this years game.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

1 hour ago, kisooni said:

If the January direct was coming out this Thursday, should we have heard news about it yet? I want to hear about the new FE since they've been silent for song long, but it's 3 days before the supposed direct and no announcement. 

The FE Direct last year was announced the day before. Direct was 18th, it was announced on the 17th. So, if the direct is coming Thursday(which I really hope it is), then most likely we will hear Tuesday or Wednesday.