How much do the FPS drops for animations on Youtube bother you?

shadowofchaos

As someone who is still working on a GBA critical collection 9 years later... it bothers the heck out of me.

Sorry to say @VincentASM your old video in particular from years ago... watching it now BOTHERS THE EVER LIVING HELL OUT OF ME lol

I wish Youtube had 60fps for lower quality videos like Nico Nico.

Yes, I realize this doesn't affect gameplay or the experience when you, yourself are playing on a GBA or emulator... but I just wanted to put this out there.

Well, *TECHNICALLY* it does affect actual play experience. The VC on the 3DS uses motion blur if you hack a GBA game in like FE7.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I have avoided watching that video so far, although YouTube suggested to me to watch that. Keep in mind I did this, because I thought in video games(where even 30fps can do a lot of cool stuff), and not YouTube. If YouTube have videos in 480p without blurring the image, then 60fps can make sense, we can have good video quality without going to HD setting - let us see those pixel graphics clearly. =)

Although I'm not sure if YouTube team is going to bother them about this. They probably don't change the quality options just for nostalgia folks like us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 7:30 PM, shadowofchaos said:

I wish Youtube had 60fps for lower quality videos like Nico Nico.

Huh. But your next vid is available in 480p60 and 360p60. :huh:

Anyway, it does bother me a little. If a game, especially a GBA game, is originally 60 fps, then watching a vid of it at 30 fps is a bit grating.

But there's one that bothers me more in particular when it comes to the GBA FE's. I brought it up a really long time ago, but nothing ever came of it. Animations seem to play at a different rate (and I don't mean frames) in an emulator vs an actual GBA. It's especially noticeable to me with tomes like Fimbulvetr and Ereshkigal. Now that I know it's not a difference in framerate, I think it's actually refresh rate/CPU clock speed/something of that nature.

Compare Ereshkigal's animation in an emulator (top) vs actual cartridge in a Game Boy Player (bottom). I want to know for sure if it is indeed a difference in refresh rate, clock speed, or whatever. For all I know this might be obvious and well-known, but I've never seen anyone bring it up. It's something I've always noticed and it's always bugged the heck out of me.