New Teased Modes - Discussion

Lord_Grima

New Mode Thoughts  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Town Building/ Battling (MyCastle v2)

• I'd like to play that.
    • I might want to play that.
    • Not sure if I'd want to play that or not.
    • Probably won't want to play that.
    • Don't want to play that.
  2. 2. Real Time Battles

• I'd like to play that.
  3. 3. Co-op Battles

• I'd like to play that.
  4. 4. Sleep Time Advancement

• I'd like to play that.

So with the survey IS sent out, there were a few questions regarding/teasing new modes. 

ZT6Jtav.jpg

Bnp0T5Q.jpg

tW4k7dP.jpg

tovHktF.jpg

eB9cwQI.jpg

If you haven't taken the survey yet, please do. The more feedback we give to IS, the better Heroes will be! Otherwise what are your thoughts on these new modes?

Edited by Lord_Grima

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“No” to all those questions. I just want better character development, TMS representation, being able to choose units from the friend list and new GHBs. BHBs are a crappy alternative to me. 

I said yes only to Real Time Battles. I don't think IS will actually see the light and use an AP system, but I would love to see something to break Fire Emblem's conservative gameplay design. 

Never mind. I saw the poll option and got excited, didn't realize it was just PVP and thus still turn based.

Edited by Reality
read OP instead of Poll

I'd accept the Mycastle stuff if it didn't come with the baggage that Fates had.. No to real time battles. My phone can barely handle the game by itself. Real time would kill it, and I'd be locked out of some pretty sweet rewards.

I said yes to the town building stuff, no to the real-time PvP and coop, and "I don't know what that is" to advancing for how long the game is off or whatever.

I enjoyed the My Castle feature in Fates from a gameplay standpoint, and it feels like it wouldn't get too in the way of the story here. Meanwhile, I'm not too big on multi-player, not helped by the fact that I'm Australian and most of my friends online are American, so if PvP or coop was added as a mode, I likely wouldn't use it.

And then for the last one, I'm familiar with modes/games where things advance in real time, but I've never seen a mode before that relies on the game being off, so I didn't really know what to think of that.

Town building was the only thing I responded positively to, since that's the sort of thing I normally associate with mobile games. Be sure to spend those orbs if you want your dumb buildings built faster! In all seriousness, I've been imagining some way to invest orbs in order to build and improve some sort of income or upgrading your daily log-in bonuses, and this town building thing seems like the most direct means to implement such a system. I wasn't thinking necessarily building towns, but instead taking Anna up on her offer to merchandise the Order of Heroes. Because who doesn't want Sharena and Alfonse action figures? But battling towns doesn't sound fun unless there's a way to build a landscape and plop a defense team down on it strategically. Because then, unlike Arena, you can have some direct control over what kind of fight people have to deal with. Build your own GHB, that's a winning mode.

Real time battles sound like a familiar pitfall for Fire Emblem multiplayer. Everybody would build enemy phase focused teams, and end their turns without attacking forcing constant stalemates. Boring. Co-op battles against AI opponents could be fun, but we need more details.

10 minutes ago, Kaen said:

Any ideas on what they'd do with sleep time advancement?

Sounds interesting to me since I like to play only when I have free time.

Ever played the Brave Default games which was mentioned in a few posts above by @Jingle Jangle? My first thought when I got to that part in the survey. So, in Bravely Default and Bravely Second, the sequel, you can build, or rather, rebuild a town. It takes time to build each section of the town, but you don't have to play the game, since it progresses regardless. For example, you're rebuilding a general shop and it takes an hour. That's fine, but then you get to like the sixth upgrade for it and it takes 12 hours. Unless you're doing something specific like grinding or farming for stuff, 12 hours is pretty extreme. In that case, you can just play normally, sleep, eat, etc., and check back when it's done. You can also speed up the process by assigning more workers to it that you get by playing the game or through Streepass.

Another example I can think of that is from a phone game is Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. If I recall correctly, things do progress and restore over time.

Edited by Kaden

I laughed, questions 12 and 13 have some questions put backwards, should I say that I dislike that the rewards in the training tower are worth it, or should I say that I like how not worth it they are. 

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Can some confirm if the JP version of the survery have all the games mentioned? It does not include the Blazing Blade in English at least.

They did. Don't know why they're trying to hide the existence of the older games. 

27 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

They did. Don't know why they're trying to hide the existence of the older games. 

I can only guess as to why Blazing Blade was left off (maybe they just forgot it? Maybe whoever made the poll thought simply "Fire Emblem" must have been the first game and they knew the first game was never released outside Japan?), but they obviously didn't include Japan-only games because they're Japan-only.

If they were trying to "hide" the existence of older games they're doing a pretty horrible job considering we have characters from Japan-only games in Heroes.

Town Building/Battling: I'd like this. A lot of characters imply that there is a town and shops, and that the kingdom of Askr is absolutely beautiful and wonderful... but we never see any of it in-game, just the castle room. It would be nice to have this fleshed out and even have it become part of the gameplay. Not only that, but doesn't this sort of imply that perhaps King Sutyr is going to destroy at least part of Askr? It would help motivate players to rebuild after the horrible attack. If implemented well, I think this could work nicely.

Real Time Battles: I said yes even though it will probably never work unless they handle it with extreme care. I'm just really curious how they will make it work if they decided to add this feature in.

Co-op Battles: Absolutely! This would potentially add an actual meaning to the friend list other than 10 feathers per day (which is a pretty insulting amount already. I mean, if you got them every day for an entire year you'd only have 3,650 feathers to show for it. That's not even enough to upgrade TWO 3-star characters. Wow), though I've been using it to get a variety of Voting Gauntlet units and see all of the greeting messages from all the characters :)

Sleep Time Advancement: Eeeeeh... this is the only one I'm wary about. Being rewarded for NOT playing a game seems dubious. We already need to wait for literally everything else, why add even more waiting? Plus, that sends a weird message. "Don't play our game! We'll give you stuff for the game if you don't play the game!" I don't really get it. Plus, Stamina is already like that. I do not know how the game could benefit from this feature. Also, if this means "wait 6 hours for your building to finish" I guess it might be okay, but you just know they'll take advantage of that somehow, such as adding a building that takes six days to finish but dropping a banner that somehow benefits from that building being finished and the banner only lasts 5 days. Better spend those Orbs to finish it quicker! Bleh. But to be fair, IS hasn't done tooooo many things like that. Hopefully they will keep that stuff to a minimum, I think they've been really excellent so far.

tl;dr - Yes, yes, sure why not, and eeeehhh...

So for town building and the real time battles I am slightly interested and interested in seeing how they incorporate them. I said no to co-op as the maps are already too small with the current unit numbers and it would be difficult to communicate and plan together. I also said no to sleep time progression as I put 80+ hours into bravely default just getting that done so I could try to optimize my playthrough and it burnt me out of the game for a while.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

they probably are assuming you haven't have played them.

I honestly wish they did include some of the older games, as it would show how interested the overseas fanbase is in said titles. I myself have played New Mystery and part of Binding Blade. I also would hope that Nintendo/IS takes note of the results and see what games are rarely played and maybe re-release them (Looking at you Tellius games) despite how much of a longshot that is.

Don't like the idea of town building or PvP since...well, advance wars this isn't.

Also, yeah, it's a bit strange that Blazing Blade was absent. The others I understand, but that one is weird.

I kind of wonder how many casual fans will see/do this survey since it was kind of buried in the notifications and a lot of casuals have probably stopped playing altogether.

Town building might be interesting depending on how they do it. Probably gonna need a ton of new tech if they try to do the town assault or defense, though, as the map sizes as they are would be super restrictive.

Co-op is something I'd definitely want, though I think it'd also probably run afoul of map-size issues.

Real-time PvP sounds like a horrifying train wreck waiting to happen. I almost want it to happen just to see how terrible it would turn out.