Antihero Anonydraft Mafia (Game Over)

BBM

I picked Vengeful cuz I was early on the drafting order and really didn't want scum to have it and thought it would be a pretty good role since I die a lot and like to kill people. Picking Doc or Follower would've gambled on me not being obvious enough in the anon aspect of the game to get namekilled

had I been REALLY LOW in the drafting order I would've tried to pick something like hooker / follower / hijacker to gamble on town and scum both forgetting to pick it or overguessing it already being picked. I remember nobody picked follower in Anonydraft. worst case scenario is you get intel on a strong role being in the game

i don't think anybody picked doc in anonydraft either lol so honestly good on shinori for making good use of his drafting spot

Edited by Prims

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Amnesiac because I didn't want to put any effort into deciding what to pick but also wanted a guaranteed role.  Doctor/I Can't Believe It's Not Rolecop are also roles I despise playing, so I'd never try to pick either of those.  Probably should have thought harder about Hooker/Hijacker though.

I also thought it'd work the same night I'd use it though, which ended up not being the case.

Edited by Refa

image.thumb.png.facb368052afd5d7a974bcbafd63b710.png

SO when I went to post apparently instead of posting it took a screenshot of part of my post instead. I spent 2 hours writing stuff and I'm not going to write it again so this is all you guys get, sucks. The more experienced players know mostly what they did well and badly anyways.

Obviously I picked vengeful because it was the only role that would benefit me after becoming the D1 lynch. Why did people not figure out my identity from that?

6 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I really wish endeavour hadn't given up and voted you instead, I might have realised your interactions were scum/town not scum/scum

Tbf, Lapis was my stronger scumread at the time, so I would only have voted Beast because it would give him more votes D3. Also, I'm not sure our interactions were that obvious scum/town, since I was fine with him after he started posting more reads and he wasn't really in danger when I voted him.

Honestly, I've been flaking hard this game, so apologies for that.The worst part is that I feel like I'd have avoided a lynch by just not flaking so much...

@SullyMcGully Just letting you know, but when you started referencing my defence for not posting much from last game, your identity became pretty obvious to me.
Only other people I figured out were Via and Shinori.

Also, since we won by pure luck, does that make Refa mvp?

Yeah, I meant in the sense of not-me-over-me. I noted eclipse objected to your lynch without looking into the votes on you, which suggests scum trying to look good on a ML, but I felt happy to sit on you because you weren't posting. Even if it seems hopeless, it's always a good idea to fight your lynch in case something happens to change people's minds.

I guess Marf picked Amnesiac because he thought people would have the same opinion of drafting it instead of a good role?

I was last and thought no one would pick Amnesiac when there were much better roles to pick.

Then again, I also didn't think that anyone would pick the same numbers that I did and look where that got me?

1 hour ago, Bartozio said:

Also, since we won by pure luck, does that make Refa mvp?

That's exactly what it means.

I'm annoyed at the way I handled the NL suggestion as well because it was in the back of my mind going into D4 but then the threat of me being turbod at 5AM in the morning messed me up and is what eventually led to me fumbling my numbers. I should've done a better job at keeping my composure.

I dunno what you meant about focusing too much on the big plays though? If you mean my role targets then I disagree. If I didn't hijack mello N3 by being a dumbass who constantly doubts his own reads then I would've hijacked SB. and won the game then and there.

40 minutes ago, kirsche said:

I dunno what you meant about focusing too much on the big plays though? If you mean my role targets then I disagree. If I didn't hijack mello N3 by being a dumbass who constantly doubts his own reads then I would've hijacked SB. and won the game then and there.

I thought it was implying that at the time, he thought you fucked up your roleclaim on purpose, although I could be wrong...

7 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Yeah, I meant in the sense of not-me-over-me. I noted eclipse objected to your lynch without looking into the votes on you, which suggests scum trying to look good on a ML, but I felt happy to sit on you because you weren't posting. Even if it seems hopeless, it's always a good idea to fight your lynch in case something happens to change people's minds.

I guess Marf picked Amnesiac because he thought people would have the same opinion of drafting it instead of a good role?

Real talk: I ran out of time and energy.  I knew I had less than 24 hours to do something, and the game was an apathetic clusterfuck at the time.

nah I was referring to the Hijacker targets. Mello also fell into the category of "townreads you were paranoid about" like Nagito and The Batter. I think generally speaking while using your role the way you did increases the odds of breaking the game open with a scum -> scum hijack; the odds of that are so low to begin with that you also increase the chances of just doing nothing until there's only scum alive, which is basically what happened here.

idk it's preference and heavily dependent on context I guess. In a vanilla-heavy game like this maybe that was the right thing to do, but you didn't necessarily know how many active roles the mafia had. I think on average just targeting scummy people is usually better than going for the big play.

The way I see it is that if the players who I think are scummy ARE scum (e.g. Lapis/Beast/Endeavor etc) then they're gonna be lynched or vigged either way. The only issue is if there's a townread scum lurking about(like Kokichi). Either I'm hijacking and then basically clearing a super townie or I'm gonna get the kill and end the game then and there.

But you're only clearing them if they're the last scum left. If that's not the case then you're probably just targeting a townie and potentially messing up their role.

18 hours ago, BBM said:

I talk about my thoughts wrt role selection and Amnesiac more specifically in the mod qt, so I'll just add- I think that players should pay more attention to balancing their desire to pick their favourite role with their responsibility to help their alignment by picking a role which is of a quality commensurate to their draft pick.

okay listen bro i want to pick a role that i know isn't going to be taken at my pick. we wanna help our team but you also wanna be motivated and i wasn't about to pick a high-demand role like doctor at fucking pick 5 and end up vanilla like you know is gonna happen. like yeah in hindsight i should have taken networker because that was my second pick and nobody got networker so that sucked but mafia is still a game that people want to enjoy and maybe people wanna pick their fave role and if they think it ain't gonna be picked then let them pick their fave role it's better at least getting that role than ending up vanilla. let me take the lower safer risk options. Serious Businessing the draft game isn't the only way to play it. if people aren't playing the way you want to the point you're in my PMs making me doubt my role choice (and yes i know it was my choice in the end but i'm fucking flimsy and dumb and easily influenced) then i don't know what to say people are gonna play how they want to play i'm sorry if that disappoints you as the host.

Edited by Propeller Knight

1) I know you don't believe me but I honestly didn't mean to influence you in any way by saying "I thought you would pick Amnesiac". I didn't say it because I didn't like that you picked Insomniac; I said it because I know you like Amnesiac and was expecting you to take it. I would have said the same thing if you'd picked Networker or Hooker or Follower. I know that it did influence you into switching your pick and I'm sorry that it ended up in you being a Vanilla.

2) I'm not saying you should 100% serious business but there's a balance between that and taking a role that isn't very good just because you don't want to be a Vanilla. shrug.

3) The comment wasn't aimed just at you; it was also aimed at Refa, Gaius, and to a lesser extent Bartozio.

I understand why you would say that BBM as I would have thought the same remark from the same joke pov but I would have backed off on commenting until picks were fully set to avoid influencing the game. like just in the future U gotta be careful

Edited by Prims

it's the last time i'm going to talk about it but i'm really just salty i feel pressured to play a certain way if it isn't going to personally work for me. i know i play unconventionally i get that but i've been trying my best to play better & put more thought into what i do while still keeping my play genuine.

maybe i'm just not cut out for draft games. 

and despite what i said after picking amn over insomniac i still would have played better with insomniac

Edited by Propeller Knight

2 hours ago, BBM said:

But you're only clearing them if they're the last scum left. If that's not the case then you're probably just targeting a townie and potentially messing up their role.

Not necessarily. Mello was basically cleared after beast flipped scum. Batter was also pretty much cleared too as there was a great chance they were on the night kill, the only person more likely to be on the nightkill at that time FMPoV was Kokichi who I should have hijacked but I am bad at mafia.

On teh flipside, since I'm only hijacking people to people I find scummy at the time, I only mess up people with positive roles aka doctor and sidekick. Sidekick is not very strong and in this case doctor claimed D2 anyway so really the coast was clear. D1 I hadn't cleared Nagito in my mind yet but like I said in my role pm it might have been better for me to just idle then.

tbh I don't really see the problem with making an unconventional pick in a draft game. like you play to win and if you feel like you're going to play worse / do less for town if you pick a power role then it makes sense not to pick that role. eg I wouldn't pick doc as anything since I'm usually NKed in these games.

Refa should have totally picked follower though because his playstyle is perfect for info roles (universal townread who never dies).

Yeah I agree I shouldn't have made the comment and I didn't after that to others when I realized it had caused Via to change his pick.

@via- idrt there was a problem with your play other than that you couldn't keep up with the activity cuz of irl stuff. but if you feel that you play better with certain roles then take those roles I guess.

@kirsche- that's fair I guess but it wouldn't have worked if Beast hadn't been venge-killed. 

But then what hijack would have been better from my point of view at the time? Going for beast/Lapis is a nearly guaranteed miss on the nightkill and nothing else is really worth hijacking other than like scum!hooker. At the very least it lets me put aside my paranoia about the slot that I target.