Canon Pairings or Your Choice?

Lau

14 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'll throw all the shade in the world at it and blame all my problems from my first playthrough on Village Maiden.

I have acquisitioned the game of FEW, as well as the Pass of the Season, and of course have drafted the good Captain of the Battleship 'Boro into my frontline forces.

I've only gotten a couple of her supports.  I have her supports with original Caeldori and Amy the Hedgehog (Hinoka).  I think I just generally like the supports in the game.

Then I'll continue to push Henry+Peri as the One True Headcanon. Join the movement, it's getting lonely with just me.

Yeah, most of them are fairly well-written, though all of Camilla's suck because they're bent on ruining what little actual character she still had by the end of Fates(her Sakura Support is particularly disturbing). Overall, though, an awesome game, looking forward to the Shadow Dragon pack! As for Awakening…my money's on Owain and Tharja both being clones, so it pretty much all rests on Olivia to make it worth the cash. And she hates being the center of attention too...

By the way, owning a ship isn't the only amazing thing about Oboro...

Edited by SoulWeaver

18 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Ah yes, stabbing airliners.  Truly, a favorite past time of mine.  I mean, knowing the controversies certain airlines started, it was probably in self-defense.

18 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Yeah, most of them are fairly well-written, though all of Camilla's suck because they're bent on ruining what little actual character she still had by the end of Fates(her Sakura Support is particularly disturbing).

I did find her support with Fred entertaining.  Just how she gave Frederick new ideas on how to embarrass better serve Chrom, and how they wound up teaming up to create an anthem and banner for Chrom and Corrin.  Oh, and how Fred got Camilla into pebble collecting.

Okay, maybe I just like Frederick's side of it all, but... you know.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Ah yes, stabbing airliners.  Truly, a favorite past time of mine.  I mean, knowing the controversies certain airlines started, it was probably in self-defense.

I did find her support with Fred entertaining.  Just how she gave Frederick new ideas on how to embarrass better serve Chrom, and how they wound up teaming up to create an anthem and banner for Chrom and Corrin.  Oh, and how Fred got Camilla into pebble collecting.

Okay, maybe I just like Frederick's side of it all, but... you know.

Of course, who doesn't love to poke holes in already conceptually unsound machines?!

Her Chrom one is weird too, because Chrom's trying to say look, you're acting like Frederick, be reasonable, and she's like but Frederick's not protective enough. Really, chances are you come out of any Camilla Support only appreciating the other guy's side of it and just being more disturbed by Camilla than you already were.

I like it when there's clear cannon pairings, but choice can be fun too. Maybe have some cannon pairs, particularly with the main characters, but also have some of the more minor characters have multiple choices?

On 12/28/2017 at 7:20 PM, Zangetsu said:

But is it really canon just because Oboro has crush on him? They're very endearing couple, but that doesn't stop people from hooking her up with Corrin. Granted a lot of that has to do with shameless bias but still.

But you just said it is terrible if it is canon? I'm confuse.

There's nothing to suggest that M!Robin/Avatar & Lucina hooks up. That 1 cutscene is just developer foresight.

Was there evidence on that pairing? I had Hector hook up with Farina, so I don't know any exclusive scene regarding the Hector & Lyn.

The main piece of evidence I've found with that pairing is that they have a "Lovebirds" song unlocked with their pairing, and the only other pairing that does this is Eliwood x Ninian. which is widely encouraged in-game and liked by the fandom. Plus, Caelin merging into Ostia can be done by marriage (the most common method. Historically, marriages lead to mergers. There's hardly any abdications, which is what we believe. However, this is a fantasy land with a character with an unusual background. Lyn can't fit into a historic mold, IMO.)

I'm generally a Lyn x Rath fan too, but there's a couple of things that pair her and Hector.

Regardless, I never really liked any of Hector's pairings. Although Florina's relationship with him is cute, the fact that Lilina is a mage despite the potential mother pool comprising of physical-based units, doesn't make much sense to me. Serra or Priscilla make more sense to be her mother from a unit standpoint.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, Slumber said:

And it makes the most sense to me. While I have no doubt that Kent would give up his knightly duties to go out to the plains and live with Lyn, it does seem a little off, since Kent's main schtick is being a strict knight figure. All endings with Lyn going off and living in a big castle and being a quiet queen just scream "No" to me with her character.

Funnily enough, in all of the endings where Kent gets an A support with a female he marries, he actually leaves to go with his wife, which I always liked, since it always seems the other way round in other endings. So I think he's a bit more free with his future once Caelin is no longer a thing - his main thing is loyalty, whether to his country (which is no longer there since it's absorbed into Pherae if I recall) or his love. But that's my interpretation, and I appreciate other people see him a different way. It's one thing I've always liked about him, though.

I do agree, though. Lyn's most likely ending is Rath, to me. I can't imagine her being a lady since all through the story she's wanting to return to the plains. I don't like Eliwood or Hector's endings for her, personally.

Overall, I like it being my choice. I don't mind a character having a choice of X amount, but I hate feeling truly hemmed in. Honestly, I'd much prefer Abel x Palla and the fact that Geoffrey only has Elincia has always rankled me. Clair and Gray just don't feel natural to me at all. I felt like one like with Lukas had more chemistry -.-

That being said, I do like Marth x Caeda, Mathilda x Clive, Pent x Louise and a few other canon pairings. I just don't prefer it over my own choice.

Also, I hate people calling things that have a choice 'canon'. To me, it's only canon if it happens in the game. Even if it happens in a manga, etc, based on the game, it's still not canon. If you can choose to have Hector marry one of three and the choice isn't confirmed in that game (or maybe a follow up game), then it is not canon to me, just the one the seems most likely or appeals the most (though, again, Hector x Lyn has never made sense to me because of what's mentioned in the quote).

Edited by Cute Chao

I don't mind 100% canon pairings as long as they're done well and make sense. But otherwise, I'd rather pick my own. However, I don't think Awakening does that very well either. The everyone x everyone crap is stupid and makes some marriages feel forced and out of character. Some supports don't make sense at certain points either, from both the children and the parents.

And Fates shouldn't have had the marriage and children system to begin with.

Edited by Anacybele

I prefer to leave relationships to be more open ended, unless the couple is an NPC or is pulled off very well.

Part of the fun of Fire Emblem when you’re allowed to pair up characters of your choice is to see the chemistry between them and witness a relationship start to bloom, whether it be platonic or romantic. This can lead to several alternate endings and can allow for a lot of replay value for the game. I just like being in control of the game instead of being forced to accept a pairing which I’ll either accept or find lame. The only downside is that 1) some supports are clearly better and make more sense than others and 2) these tend to lead to many arguments concerning which ships are “better”, though this isn’t the game’s fault.

Canon pairings eh. Out of the ones we have I’m fine with Marth and Caeda, Celica and Alm, and Sigurd and Deidre. Now there are some implied though not exactly canon pairings such as Chrom and Sumia (ugh), Eliwood and Ninian, and I suppose Micaiah and Sothe. These I mostly dislike, since I like Chrom with Olivia and Sumia with Robin etc. But to each their own.

Canonical/lone choice pairs don't always work out the best. MicaiahxSothe is a poor romance (a presumably happy marriage, but a terrible romance), and Lyn with Hector or Eliwood, while I very much like EliwoodxLyn and prefer it to EliwoodxNinian, is a bit out of character for Lyn. 

I'm not fond of Awakening/Fates marry anyone. But at the same time I do like the GBA giving a smaller handful of choices to certain characters. Kent with three picks works better for me than Stahl with ten or so. Sure individuals cases I might not like, like HectorxFlorina, but the player still gets some creativity to choose, but with boundaries that are reasonable, if not perfect,  for the individual. That Stahl can love Sully is indirectly cheapened by Stahl being able to love Tharja, since Sully is just another option of many disparate choices. For Kent, Fiora isn't just another option, since he only has two others, the weight of the option of Fiora is stronger. Do I make sense?

Would a canonical mother have strengthened Lucina? Quite possibly. Would a canonical pairing have helped Chrom? Not so sure of that. But still, straying from Awakening and Fates where anyone can marry anyone is a good idea. At least fix the lords' partners, or a handful of other characters. 

I highly prefer canon pairings or at most a limited quota of romantic supports. I honestly find it obnoxious if every support between male and female must end with some sort of confession, since this either influences previous supports (the chemistry between the characters has to be set up somehow) or the sudden romance suddenly falls out of the blue sky. As such, I see all these shipping options more as a restriction for the writers because they have to keep all eventualities covered, without much pay-off - for me. I'm quite aware that other players have much more fun playing matchmaker than I do.

On January 5, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Anacybele said:

And Fates shouldn't have had the marriage and children system to begin with.

Eh, the marriage part wasn't so bad if you ask me, they just shouldn't have extended it to children because there was no way they could make it not be done wrong.

• 4 years later...

My choice. And I will say why: the canon pairings in this series aren't better written than most optional pairings. I don't see how Celica x Alm is better than Dorothea x Byleth for example. I mentioned Celica x Alm seeing that it's a recent remake and their romance is badly written, despite the potential being there. 

Then, while not canon, there's some developer favoured pairings that are boring to hell and often the worst optional romance story-wise. I don't see any substantial narrative for Chrom x Sumia or Lilina x Roy that Roy x Sue or Roy x Sophia;   Chrom x Olivia or Chrom x Sully can't fulfill and do even do better, for example.  So between having a canon pairing for no reason, that add nothing to the meta narrative, I'd rather chose those minor details. 

Sometimes having a canon pairing make the worldbuilding and narrative more complete, but this is rarely the case in Fire Emblem. In Fire Emblem it just matter if them being married is important for the meta narrative (ex Sigurd x Deirdre that is a tragic romance but moves the plot forward); otherwise I prefer to chose; or at best I don't care for many Fire Emblem canon romances to be honest. 

Edited by genesis

I prefer the ability to choose, That way, I can choose the option I prefer myself. I do agree that the number of options should be kept low though. 2-3 options would be ideal.

That being said, I would still like to see more happy pre-established couples in these games. Not everyone should be single and ready to mingle.

If there are canon pairings, I’d prefer them to be wed prior to the events of the game. With non canon pairings, I at least get some interesting surprises like Cordelia and Gregor, and integrating that into the timeline of the game lets me reflect on how insane it is. Already wed couples don’t need to waste time on introductions and can show a more dynamic bond. Alm/Celica is what I dread the most, wasting time on bland, predictable interactions, I understand they don’t have time to develop in large scale war, but I’d rather wonder than have something forced.

• 2 weeks later...

Non canon pairings suck. The big problem for me is that if a choice is super amazing with tons of chemistry, just kiss it goodbye after the game is over. It will never be represented in that character's identity. It's never anything more than just a single support, it's as if they might as well stay single with how hard FE dances around any sort of romance. Canon usually gets pretty good action.