Let's talk about those Pokemon Switch rumors

Zapp Branniglenn

You may have heard about this anywhere else on the web, but here's the initial source. Here's the bullet points:

• The Chinese localization team has already finished translating the games’ script
  • There will be no new Mega Evolutions introduced in the new games
  • Z-Moves return and now use motion control to activate using the Joy-Cons
  • Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation
  • Region inspiration has been rumored to be Spain or Italy
  • Release to come late 2018 (~December) or early 2019

Among the bullet points, The first is the least believable thing on the list for me. I have never worked in game design or localization, but I just don't buy that the enormous script for a JRPG is finished so early, and already translated into a different language a year before release. I just imagine changes to the script and by extension changes to the translation would be happening even into the late stages of a game's development.

And the bombshell rumor:

the games feature a new, simplified battle system which has been compared to that of the Digimon World games. For those not familiar with them they use a real-time battle style in which moves are still selected via menu and include the option to attack or block moves from your opponent. It has also been compared to the battle system of Pokkén Tournament in which moves are either attacks, blocks or grabs and work in a rock-scissors-paper fashion.

Whoa. Keep in mind these are comparisons to other games. Which is about the best you can give if you're not personally on the development or QA team to know what the battle system is all about from experience. The initial rumors for Mario + Rabbids for instance kept insisting the game is a third person cover-based shooter before they could clarify it was actually a strategy game in which taking cover was just one of the mechanics. I would definitely like to see some alterations to Pokemon's battle system, and people often theorize real time elements to replace the turn based system. I just hope that the battles still rely primarily on strategy and type matchups, and not so much about reflexes or reading your opponent like this is a fighting game. Because there's a reason fighting games don't stress the viability of their single player modes. Reacting to and reading an AI opponent is not nearly as interesting as another human player. And I have to imagine Pokemon Switch is still a single player experience before it's a multiplayer one. 

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

I remember those Pokemon Stars rumors and how wrong they were. It's probably the same case here.

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Z-Moves return and now use motion control to activate using the Joy-Cons

No. Stop right there. I don't want this to be a thing. Don't shoehorn motion controls where they don't belong. Especially when some of those Z-Moves look rather awkward to pull off. 

27 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Region inspiration has been rumored to be Spain or Italy

That'd be cool actually.

I think the big giveaway that this is fake though is that new simplified battle system. Main series games always follow the same battle formula, with some new twists (Triple Battles, etc) but never something so drastic of a change.

The only way this would maybe be real is if it was a spin-off but i think they established that this is a main series game.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember those Pokemon Stars rumors and how wrong they were. It's probably the same case here.

Those came from Eurogamer, which has a pretty good track record when it comes to rumors-- hence why they caught on.

Anyways, right now I'm on team hopefully not. Don't like the sound of things and feel it could destroy the competitive scene if true.

59 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:
  • The Chinese localization team has already finished translating the games’ script

I have my doubts about these two in tandem with one another.

Also pls no to the motion controlled Z-moves

51 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

I have my doubts about these two in tandem with one another.

Also pls no to the motion controlled Z-moves

How so? I would think that something like the script would already be in the finishing stages or so, on paper at least, barring mid-development changes. The Chinese localization would also be done the quickest. And that means a year of development and releasing details by the testing stages.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Seems.......unique I guess? I'll be honest pokemon lost me with gen 7, I waited on picking up Sun and haven't picked up an Ultra yet as it really has lost the appeal I originally found in it. Meanwhile prior to this I always tried to get the games asap, prior to gen 7 I got both versions of ORAS day 1 and beat AS pretty quick for my standards, heck by my standards that was speedrun, and this is coming from the person who put over 300 hours into one awakening save file just cause he could.

Back on topic, I guess it's good they're trying new things, as sun and moon did that and sold pretty well if I recall right (more than X/Y I think, which those games helped push the 3ds when they came out).

Spoiler

Though as one may infer, that innovating is kinda what lost my interest, among other reasons, also attributing to the pokemon anime, I should have known better but watching Ash lose in the Kalos league along with him still not having a Lucario just sent me over the edge I think, trust me I know Ash will never win but still logically he should have won, due to Pikachu weakening Charizard before it mega-evolved and having Ash-Greninja which at best was neutral/resistant to Mega-Charizard X. Plus X's special defenses aren't the best when looking at Greninja where special attack is a strong point.

On the development it seems possible but not plausible, though as said interesting take they're doing on it, if there is motion controls I hope it's optional. Though to be honest at this stage I'm only buying a pokemon game if it is a platinum remake or a ranger game.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:
  • There will be no new Mega Evolutions introduced in the new games
  • Z-Moves return and now use motion control to activate using the Joy-Cons
  • Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation
  • Region inspiration has been rumored to be Spain or Italy
  • Uhhhh, that's great?
  • Kinda disappointing, but not entirely surprised. I liked my Megas when executed well, and later gens were so shafted (like Mega Audino whhhhhhhhhhhhhy).
  • Z-moves didn't really impress me and as someone who doesn't care for motion controls this is a whole load of meh for me.
  • That's... actually fairly interesting. If this is all true then I'm curious to see if it's pulled off well.
  • Honestly I wanted a Australian or U.K. based region above anything else. Italy could be decent enough, but Spain? Eh. 
  • Hard to to bullish on that date. I think it'll be a bit later than that (around Spring 2019 is my estimation). 

Also the battle rehaul is a hard NO for me. Please don't mess with a formula that's worked splendidly for over 20 years. XP