[DATAMINE] Special Heroes Coming! Hoshidan New Years Banner - From Dec. 31

Coolmanio

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You know, here's a question. What does IS have against male units being flying units? They made female Corrin and now Azura seasonal flying units, and gave Nowi a broom for no reason, but I don't believe we've ever had a male seasonal flying unit. Not even a conventional one. Male Corrin can reclass into flying things, like female Corrin, and Takumi even has kinshi knight by default. There was no reason to keep both boys infantry while making Azura flying for no reason. The fuck, development team?

EDIT: Heck, even if you want to look at non-seasonal units, Tsubaki is our only male flying unit in the summoning pool, with all the other males being wyvern and GHB. Why!

1. Literally all but two canon pegasus knights in the series are male (and one of the two exceptions is in FEH, as you noted).

2. Most of the more popular wyvern riders are female, such as Camilla, Minerva, and Cherche.

3. Many of the male wyvern riders are bosses, who are typically GHBs, and GHB characters don't go into the summoning pool.

It's not some sort of conspiracy, it's just reflecting the reality of most PC fliers in Fire Emblem being female, with many of the exceptions not being especially cared-about characters (Zeiss, Heath, Cormag). As for fixing this, I doubt IS considers it some sort of priority to specifically get male fliers into the flying pool.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You know, here's a question. What does IS have against male units being flying units? They made female Corrin and now Azura seasonal flying units, and gave Nowi a broom for no reason, but I don't believe we've ever had a male seasonal flying unit. Not even a conventional one. Male Corrin can reclass into flying things, like female Corrin, and Takumi even has kinshi knight by default. There was no reason to keep both boys infantry while making Azura flying for no reason. The fuck, development team?

EDIT: Heck, even if you want to look at non-seasonal units, Tsubaki is our only male flying unit in the summoning pool, with all the other males being GHB. Singer!Shigure didn't even get his pegasus. Why!

Honestly that question could be applisd to the Fire Emblem series. The majority of the flying units in Fire Emblem are female. Even playable Wyvern Riders, which is an unisex class, are mostly female, and the first Wyvern Rider you get in the games are usually female. And even in Fates, the game that introduced male Pegasus Knights, still have more female Pegasus Knights. So it’s not really a problem with Heroes, but rather, the series as a whole. 

1 minute ago, Liliesgrace said:

Oh wow, yeah I guess that makes sense from a company standpoint. Kinda wish they'd done that from the beginning then so I wouldn't know any different. I miss the early banners that were evenly balanced.

like..... the banner with Lyn and roy on the same one when the game first came out? or marth and tiki?

Yeah, I get that FE in general doesn't have a lot of men on flying things either. Which makes me wonder why they didn't bother to add in, like, Heath or Zeiss if they weren't shy about adding in a few FE6+7 characters. Besides, seasonal banners basically are a free-for-all and characters can use weapons they've never used and ride things that they can't ride in-game and be classes they otherwise can't reclass into. If they were going to put Camilla and Azura on flying mounts already, why not just make the entire banner a flying banner, especially since Christmas was all-armors? Flying bow would've been nice, too, they had no issue putting a bow armor or a mage armor. Or a bow cavalry.

Just now, Sunwoo said:

Which makes me wonder why they didn't bother to add in, like, Heath or Zeiss if they weren't shy about adding in a few FE6+7 characters.

Because those are not popular characters, to put it mildly, and IS doesn't share your desire to get male non-boss fliers in the game for the sake of it. There are many FE6+7 characters I'd expect to get first, such as Kent, Sain, Pent, Milady, Rutger, Perceval, etc.

I'd have liked a flying bow too, mind, but the gender of the character wielding it isn't too important to me. (Would like to see Reina at some point, for instance, and she's a natural choice for it... just like I'd like to see Rath/Sue/Sin/Dayan to have a natural bow cavalier.)

8 minutes ago, Thany said:

like..... the banner with Lyn and roy on the same one when the game first came out? or marth and tiki?

Not the very first ones no, but the ones that introduced new characters with all four colors represented like the first CYL set and Sacred Stones. Even the three character skill ones almost always had three different colors which was nice.

I decide to check Sereneforest late at night just for the fun of it and I find out that there is another seasonal banner coming and all the units have already been datamined. That was fast.

Anyways I was expecting to see a blue tome armor unit this time but I'm glad IS decided to give armors a rest for now and are focusing on fliers again.

Which by the way I'm definitely going to pull for Azura. Not sure why IS seem to have a thing for making Azura an axe unit twice now but I'm always up for more refresher units and I'm still mad that friggin Inigo came and stopped me eight times from getting PA Azura a few months ago.

I didn't really bother with the Christmas banner because I don't really like using armor units and I saved a bunch of orbs in case I decided to pull on the Legendary banner but I might skip that now too for the New Year banner. I really hope IS don't come out with more new banners before the New Years banner releases.

I'm so annoyed that Azura is our first flying refresher unit and not Shigure from the last dancer banner. He would have made so much more sense and we'd finally have a male flying 'must have' on the team, since they've given all the tomes to females, unless they decide to finally branch out.

We still don't have a male flying sword or tome unit -.-

(That being said, we do need a female sword cavalry unit - or female red cavalry unit to balance out my protest a bit, but I'm not trying to create all female teams, personally. There's also no female sword armour, but there is at least a female red armour).

Reading through the thread, I'm now even more annoyed they didn't take the opportunity to make Takumi and Corrin flying dagger/archer units. Why just make them infantry and again give female fliers all the unique things? It's really annoying -.-

Edited by Cute Chao

No one can deny this game has some serious Nohr bias going on. It's disgusting just how blatant it is. Hoshido will never get the equivalent of a Nohrian summer. They'd rather just keep shoving Xander, Camilla and Azura down our throats. (Repeat Leo is gguaranteed in the next banner) These characters are starting to be marketed more obnoxiously than Lucina. And for everyone crying about Fateswakening, I don't know how often I have so say this, 11 Nohrian themed characters (counting the Nohrian coded Jakob and Nohrian styled Azura and Shigure in the dancers banner) as oppsed to 4 (counting M!Corn and Kimono!Azura) Hoshidan themed ones. Clearly you should be complaining about Nohrwakening or Conqwakening at this point.

19 minutes ago, Nanima said:

No one can deny this game has some serious Nohr bias going on. It's disgusting just how blatant it is. Hoshido will never get the equivalent of a Nohrian summer. They'd rather just keep shoving Xander, Camilla and Azura down our throats. (Repeat Leo is gguaranteed in the next banner) These characters are starting to be marketed more obnoxiously than Lucina. And for everyone crying about Fateswakening, I don't know how often I have so say this, 11 Nohrian themed characters (counting the Nohrian coded Jakob and Nohrian styled Azura and Shigure in the dancers banner) as oppsed to 4 (counting M!Corn and Kimono!Azura) Hoshidan themed ones. Clearly you should be complaining about Nohrwakening or Conqwakening at this point.

Which is why I want pre-3DS era seasonal characters. Mage Eliwood, mage Lucius, bride Eirika, lance Larchel

Edited by silveraura25

We get more Conquest and Awakening because those are the two most popular games cast-wise. A special Hinoka or Eliwood wouldn't get nearly as many people to spend money as a special Chrom or Camilla. I don't find this terribly unfair myself, and I don't think "shoving [characters] down our throats" is a fair description of this at all. They react to our tastes, rather than pushing their own favourites on us.

There's nothing wrong with liking characters that aren't in the absolute upper echelon of popularity - I could hype plenty myself - but you're better off not expecting them to get alternate forms in Heroes, because it's almost certainly not gonna happen. (And if it does, consider it a bonus!)

3 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

They react to our tastes, rather than pushing their own favourites on us.

I'unno. At some point it gets almost a bit silly, if you ask me. It's not like they've even tried making a seasonal banner consisting only of non-3DS character. I'm sure Hector, Lyn, Ike, Roy, etc. would sell just as well.

As for this banner, I'm surprised they call it "Hoshidan New Year" but feature only one Hoshidan. However, the art is stellar and the clothing is actually pretty tasteful, so I'm at least happy with that.

8 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

We get more Conquest and Awakening because those are the two most popular games cast-wise. A special Hinoka or Eliwood wouldn't get nearly as many people to spend money as a special Chrom or Camilla. I don't find this terribly unfair myself, and I don't think "shoving [characters] down our throats" is a fair description of this at all. They react to our tastes, rather than pushing their own favourites on us.

There's nothing wrong with liking characters that aren't in the absolute upper echelon of popularity - I could hype plenty myself - but you're better off not expecting them to get alternate forms in Heroes, because it's almost certainly not gonna happen. (And if it does, consider it a bonus!)

Ryouma was one place below Xander in the Heroes poll, "clearly" he'll never bring people to town. Xander really deserved 2+ reps for that.  The Hoshidans weren't that far apart from their counterparts (with the exception of Hinoka) and we've clearly seen them giving even less popular characters such as Charlotte and Shigure attention. Plus, I'll remind you that the top ten for this poll is not made up exclusively of Nohrwakening characters, so they are not catering to our tastes by any means. It's a damn poor excuse.

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, I get that FE in general doesn't have a lot of men on flying things either. Which makes me wonder why they didn't bother to add in, like, Heath or Zeiss if they weren't shy about adding in a few FE6+7 characters. Besides, seasonal banners basically are a free-for-all and characters can use weapons they've never used and ride things that they can't ride in-game and be classes they otherwise can't reclass into. If they were going to put Camilla and Azura on flying mounts already, why not just make the entire banner a flying banner, especially since Christmas was all-armors? Flying bow would've been nice, too, they had no issue putting a bow armor or a mage armor. Or a bow cavalry.

I agree with you. It's sad that they make both the females fliers when we have plenty of special female fliers but just make the males infantry - and one of them the same colour as he already is (I know, different weapon, but if he could be a dagger flier than at least make him a different colour to bows). Seasonal units are meant to bring something different - unique female fliers is becoming the norm, which is annoying to someone like me who prefers to run all male teams -.-

I know, I'm in the minority, but it's not like people wouldn't pull for a bow flier just because it's Takumi and not a female if they really wanted that bow flier (except maybe a few here and there who really, really hate Takumi).

If Takumi was a flier, he would be a flying unit throwing mochi to defeat enemies. Amazing.

Anyways, since I was able to get 3/4 units from the Christmas banner (and x3 copies of each), I don't really feel the need to pull more seasonal units as I don't really like these. I will just do the free pull as usual. 

I prefer to run characters I like, but even still I think it's really stupid that only female characters are getting to be mage fliers or even be fliers in general. If male Corrin was going to get a bow, he should've been a kinshi knight to mirror his seasonal female counterpart, who was a malig knight. And heck, why not just put Takumi on a damn kinshi at that rate?

Also, I agree with Nanima. The character choices at this point are not even really aligned with CYL. Otherwise, Camilla and Xander and Chrom would not have more seasonal outfits than Lyn. Or heck, Lucina. Only spring Lucina really counts as a seasonal. Not to mention number 1, 2, and 3 male characters still don't have any. I can maybe excuse their choice of characters slightly -- only slightly -- if we assume that these were all made before the CYL poll was done. But now they know how the top 10 came out. So if we continue to see no Ike, Roy, Hector, Ryoma, no regular Micaiah, and they only continue to pander the same Awakening and Nohr units ... then it's not even the fans' choice at all.

Edited by Sunwoo

9 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Ryouma was one place below Xander in the Heroes poll, "clearly" he'll never bring people to town. Xander really deserved 2+ reps for that.  The Hoshidans weren't that far apart from their counterparts (with the exception of Hinoka) and we've clearly seen them giving even less popular characters such as Charlotte and Shigure attention. Plus, I'll remind you that the top ten for this poll is not made up exclusively of Nohrwakening characters, so they are not catering to our tastes by any means. It's a damn poor excuse.

I think I could have accepted the Nohrians getting their seasonal characters first, but it's unreasonable that they're getting multiple seasonals before any other characters. This banner in particular is obnoxious in that they turned an explicitly Japanese celebration into a chance for more Nohrians. What's next, Nohrian Tanabata?