Why do people think the Switch is overpriced?

CriticalMiss

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Someone that doesn't have frequent access to a working computer or phone, I'd imagine.

Then i'd prioritize getting access to a computer or phone over a game console. When i buy a game console, i buy it to play games, not to surf the web. There's also the fact that Internet browsers on game consoles are always inferior to the ones on phones and computers. You can't download anything, you can't print, some sites just won't work if don't have a certain add-on, etc. It's just not ideal to use the Internet browser on a game console.

Going to echo the people that used browsers on consoles, even recently. For years I used my Wii U to put on Youtube videos, usually podcasts as background noise whenever I was playing a game on my computer. Running the video while running a game is possible, but that takes more effort for volume control and more of a strain on my computer which isn't quite a gaming rig. I also still use my Wii U as a Netflix machine, yet another thing Switch can't do yet. Gotta hope it's coming since Hulu has made its way to Switch a few months back.

In Australia, the price point is closer to 400-500.

That alone basically summarises why I'm finding it so difficult to nab. My poor to nonexistent income doesn't help, but... I think I got a Wii U bundled with New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U for cheaper.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Then i'd prioritize getting access to a computer or phone over a game console. When i buy a game console, i buy it to play games, not to surf the web. There's also the fact that Internet browsers on game consoles are always inferior to the ones on phones and computers. You can't download anything, you can't print, some sites just won't work if don't have a certain add-on, etc. It's just not ideal to use the Internet browser on a game console.

It's not ideal, and I wouldn't use it since I have consistent access to both a computer and a phone, but that is not what necessarily everyone has.

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

It's not ideal, and I wouldn't use it since I have consistent access to both a computer and a phone, but that is not what necessarily everyone has.

And i totally understand that but whether or not a game console has an Internet browser shouldn't be a deciding factor. You're honestly just better off saving up for a computer or phone. The laptop i'm currently using cost me about $212, which is less than the Switch.

8 minutes ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

it's because there's a bunch of extra add on shit you have to buy with it

Haha like what?

Well since I only have to buy one console this gen I think the price is fair.  Whenever I had to buy two new consoles to play the games I love I would groan, since I only had to shell out $300 this gen vs. the $500 I had to shell out last gen for the 3DS and the Wii U I am pretty happy that I don't have to spend that $200 for a new hand held system.  I was pretty sad when I found out that I can't play my Wii U games on it at first, but I figure that they will be kind of rare someday and I keep my old consoles so I can live with it.  I had to buy a new console for FE Warriors anyway and since Xenoblade 2 was coming as well I went and bought a Switch, I really like it and even if the specs are not top of the line they are good enough for me.  Plus for me since I live with other people and there is only one TV it is nice to be able to pick up my Switch and take it in to another room if my dad wants to watch TV but I want to keep playing my game in peace in another room.

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And i totally understand that but whether or not a game console has an Internet browser shouldn't be a deciding factor. You're honestly just better off saving up for a computer or phone. The laptop i'm currently using cost me about $212, which is less than the Switch.

A phone is usually bought as a contract that comes as a monthly payment, which is usually not preferable to people on a tight budget to have another bill when they are already paying for internet. Mostly though, it would be nice, not essential, to have during periods in which they either don't have access to those things or that they have broke. It's not unreasonable to hope that a gaming console makes an attempt to do something like that.

It's usually a bad idea to judge where people spend their money when things are tight, otherwise I would think that everyone should own a $1400 gaming PC like I do, but that's just not feasible.

31 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

A phone is usually bought as a contract that comes as a monthly payment, which is usually not preferable to people on a tight budget to have another bill when they are already paying for internet. Mostly though, it would be nice, not essential, to have during periods in which they either don't have access to those things or that they have broke. It's not unreasonable to hope that a gaming console makes an attempt to do something like that.

And i totally agree that a built-in Internet browser is nice to have. But it's not a necessity for a console and it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Cuz like, if you're gonna buy a game console but your decision hinges on whether or not it has an Internet browser, then you're just better off buying a computer or a laptop that is at a similar price.

i'm not into zelda and i already have a wii u. it's not just $300, it's that and whatever it costs to get a pro controller (iirc $65) and probably other stuff that i haven't bothered to find. i can't justify spending $365 when i'm already fairly satisfied with my wii u and could use it to get literally anything else. it'd need an outstanding FE game or mayyyyyyyybe the main series pokemon game for me to consider it.

Edited by Comet

On 12/29/2017 at 1:17 PM, Elieson said:

Having BOTW for Wii U is exactly what it is, a game on the Wii U. It's one of the only games next to Smash that my family and I continuously play together. If I buy a Switch though; now I gotta battle with my TV's two HDMI slots for one Switch, one Wii U and one DVD/Blu-Ray player, or go out and buy a splitter (which I actually ended up doing). Gone is the convenience that the Wii U gave when we were able to pack back up our old Wii to play three gens of games on one console. That's an extreme inconvenience for me. 

Yeah it really depends on your situation.  For me I held off a long while on getting a Switch mostly because I couldn't find one.  I actually got BoTW first on Wii U and then picked up a discounted used copy at a local game shop for my Switch.  For me the Switch was a big convenience because I work a job with a bit of a commute now and I also get in earlier than I need to so I'm on the go more often to me the Switch was a godsend.  

As for the cost I think its priced right where it should be for the base hardware.  To me the biggest cost comes with the SD card you know you will have to get if you plan on having anything digital.  Hell (excuse the pun) I even got Doom physically and there is still a 8GB install.  Plus there are other accessories like the pro controller a power add on (optional obviously) and soon you are up to potentially 450.  

If I do remember correctly though when the Wii U came out at first the 32GB model was 350 while the white base model of 8GB was 300.  

*Pro tip by the way if you are looking to save on a spare charger on the go the S8/S8+ phone chargers which also use USB Type C work on the Switch.