Ch25B - Pale Flower of Darkness

vuttFE

When you forget to bring your own lock picker character...

So I found out it hard way that you can't finish chapter if you use one of the keys found on this level at center treasury room. In fact I was forced to play this ch 2,5 times. At first I got careless and Harken killed Lyn. Second time I played it fully trough and realized at the very end that I can't open all doors. Ant to add to the insult this ch sports snowing which slows your movement quite a bit.

I wonder if it's the only FE game where you can block completely your progress?   So far I have finished Path of Radiance, Awakening, Fates, Shadows of Valentia without facing this kind of problems. Maybe I have been just lucky.

13 hours ago, vuttFE said:

When you forget to bring your own lock picker character...

So I found out it hard way that you can't finish chapter if you use one of the keys found on this level at center treasury room. In fact I was forced to play this ch 2,5 times. At first I got careless and Harken killed Lyn. Second time I played it fully trough and realized at the very end that I can't open all doors. Ant to add to the insult this ch sports snowing which slows your movement quite a bit.

I wonder if it's the only FE game where you can block completely your progress?   So far I have finished Path of Radiance, Awakening, Fates, Shadows of Valentia without facing this kind of problems. Maybe I have been just lucky.

Nope, but luckily, it's doable even with the keys provided (I think?).  There's one room you have to ignore.

The "gotcha" in Thracia is bad enough to force a restart.

It's technically possible to come into an unwinnable situation in PoR's hard mode if Ike doesn't have the strength to hurt Ashnard and Ena/Nasir died prior to that chapter. Highly unlikely though, of course.

FE7 has one on Lyn Normal Mode if you let all your non-Lyn units die before Dorcas' recruitment chapter. The game forces you to move Lyn east and then recruit Dorcas, which is enough for the brigands to reach Natalie if you have noone else to block them.

I've never put any real thought into it, but wouldn't it be possible to make any file unwinnable by losing too many weapons and units? Highly unlikely, but the fear is still there. Though I suppose unbreakable weapons and stores in the preparations screen mitigate it greatly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jerme's PFoD map has only enough keys for all buildings, save for the treasure room. The trick is to hold onto a door key before coming to this chapter to be able open all doors if you don't want to bring a thief or they've been killed off.

But only the treasure room has no enemies, so it's not required.

It can get worse if you play a randomized run, as Lyn mode can be next to unplayable if she becomes a non combat unit and make Hector Mode Chapter 11 nearly unbeatable. But these depend on how much you decide to randomize.