Anyone else super bummed that Warriors doesn't have anyone from FE9 and 10?

NYCorona

9 minutes ago, guedesbrawl said:

Oh, i don't believe for a second they were a response for the backlash that happened.

They knew some parts of the fanbase would riot, i'm sure. The backlash was predicted.

With Niles being 100% intentional for the base game i doubt Anna was ever planned as more than a Navi until either IS forced her or they realized they wouldn't get Oboro's moveset done in time which forced then to cut niles to maintain roster balance between Fates's two games.

Anna doesn't really accomplish anything as a playable character and her primary role was support-only. Heck, i admit i haven't unlocked her yet so this could change, but look at the voice selection menu. Anna's voice is simply listed as "Default". Not even a NAME.

Niles was 100% intentional for the base game? News to me. Source?

What does Niles accomplish as a playable character that Anna doesn't? And Anna actually does have her own name listed for voice selection. Yes, there are essentially two options for her.

Anna has more recurrences in the series than any other character and you actually think they weren't going to include her? Ugh, why am I surprised? I thought she was the easiest prediction, but apparently no one else did. We know who was right in the end, though.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, guedesbrawl said:

Anna doesn't really accomplish anything as a playable character and her primary role was support-only

As a playable character Anna can open chests without keys if you forgot to do them the first time through story plus she can be used on any mission that requires you to use characters from a specific game like for example 'Awakening Heroes' or 'Shadow Dragon' only, things like that.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Anna has more recurrences in the series than any other character and you actually think they weren't going to include her? Ugh, why am I surprised? I thought she was the easiest prediction, but apparently no one else did. We know who was right in the end, though.

I mean, I might be one of the few who actually wanted Anna to a playable character in Warriors but bad PR made it sound like she was only going to be a npc.

2 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I mean, I might be one of the few who actually wanted Anna to a playable character in Warriors but bad PR made it sound like she was only going to be a npc.

Eh, I disagree. I actually thought she was being hinted at when her model was shown off early and she was shown in that collection of pins. Anna as an NPC if anything should have been an even stronger hint towards her being playable. Even in Awakening the player most likely sees an NPC Anna before the recruitable one. Nothing was ever said that suggested she wouldn't be playable.

I'm okay with the roster. 

I do wish they made Celica a magic user with Ragnarok instead though... Or more magically inclined. Even if she wouldve been at the very least a clone of Robin. Oh well.

As for Ike, it seems like what happened with the SSB4 FE reveal. I guess there's bound to be a balance? I recall Chrom being the poster character for Warriors... I do see Koei and IS doing something with the Ike Roy and Alm amiibos (Alm's maybe less so).

As for the boob argument...  If the sexualization reason was the truth, I think we would've seen Charlotte and Orochi, and/or maybe Aversa. (actually on second thought all 3 would probably have unique playstyles if they made it in....)

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Eh, I disagree. I actually thought she was being hinted at when her model was shown off early and she was shown in that collection of pins. Anna as an NPC if anything should have been an even stronger hint towards her being playable. Even in Awakening the player most likely sees an NPC Anna before the recruitable one. Nothing was ever said that suggested she wouldn't be playable.

I thought she was hinted at being playable as early as when they showed off her concept art alongside Marth and around that time I think something was said on their jp.twitter account like 'there will be characters who appear in this game as NPCs like Anna' which made me think she was being deconfirmed. I could be wrong about that but if I did remember that correctly I could see it as them explaining it away as NPC Anna not being the same Anna as playable Anna just to fool everyone.

3 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

'there will be characters who appear in this game as NPCs like Anna' which made me think she was being deconfirmed.

That's an unfortunately common misconception. That was never said...by the devs, at least. The person who translated the interview it supposedly came from added that little tidbit in their quick summary (yes, on Twitter, as I recall) because they thought it was referring to her.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

Niles was 100% intentional for the base game? News to me. Source?

What does Niles accomplish as a playable character that Anna doesn't? And Anna actually does have her own name listed for voice selection. Yes, there are essentially two options for her.

His role in the story is actually a thing unlike Anna's, who could be deleted from the game without anyone even noticing she was there. It's obvious, but if i remember correctly you are that one guy that refuses to see it despite it being in big red letters so i'll drop it. I mean, if knowing about datamined supports and how Oboro's gimmick that her NPC self never uses is spoiled by her profile entry, nothing will convince you short of an official statement.

By the time we were seeing stuff about the game i'm sure they had already settled on Anna. But while she has a lot of games she appears in, her roles are so micro, but so micro, that they don't justify her being playable at all. A Navi role would be a perfect representaiton of Anna.

Edited by guedesbrawl

6 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

As for the boob argument...  If the sexualization reason was the truth, I think we would've seen Charlotte and Orochi, and/or maybe Aversa. (actually on second thought all 3 would probably have unique playstyles if they made it in....)

Wow, boob argument?I guess I skipped something.

Regardless, i see this a real reason for them going with Linde over a Paladin. Gotta have something that appeal to the Fates/Awakening audience if they don't give a damn about SD, I guess. 

5 hours ago, guedesbrawl said:

His role in the story is actually a thing unlike Anna's, who could be deleted from the game without anyone even noticing she was there. It's obvious, but if i remember correctly you are that one guy that refuses to see it despite it being in big red letters so i'll drop it. I mean, if knowing about datamined supports and how Oboro's gimmick that her NPC self never uses is spoiled by her profile entry, nothing will convince you short of an official statement.

By the time we were seeing stuff about the game i'm sure they had already settled on Anna. But while she has a lot of games she appears in, her roles are so micro, but so micro, that they don't justify her being playable at all. A Navi role would be a perfect representaiton of Anna.

You have nothing backing up your argument except speculation and hearsay. I'm the one who is actually basing my opinions off what we got and what the devs said. There are no "big red letters" here and if you think there are you are merely twisting facts to mean what you want them to mean.

It is a bummer. Tellius is unique in that we could have gotten more shapeshifting characters than just Tiki. Laguz are the defining feature of Tellius. And we could have had mooks that were cats instead of faceless dudes wearing red.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It is a bummer. Tellius is unique in that we could have gotten more shapeshifting characters than just Tiki. Laguz are the defining feature of Tellius. And we could have had mooks that were cats instead of faceless dudes wearing red.

They wear blue too.

19 hours ago, guedesbrawl said:

Not me. I like every american FE and i'm super happy with the roster.

Having just 3 focus games was the best move they could've done, only botched by the fanbase that refused to see this was for the best and led to Lyn and Celica and Anna being wasted slots.

Tellius is a 2-in1 deal. Like Fates. It's bound to get a fair bit of love in FEW2, much more than it would ever get in,

Besides, Ike's just a swordsman, pretty sure people were complaining about too many swords.

I don't think anyone had a problem with the concept of focusing on just three game. It was the combination of the three chosen games that was the problem. With Awakening and Fates providing the vast majority of the roster the game is only really cattering to the newer fanbase while the Japanese get a bone thrown their way with Archenea. Meanwhile if you're a western fan that started with the GBA games or Tellius the game does very little to appeal to you. Those fans got a single character who doesn't even appear in the story. 

If a game only really appeals to one part of the fanbase, throws the other part of the fanbase only the barest of a bone and does everything to ignore the last part then I can imagine people, especially from the ignored part of the fanbase refusing to see how its for the best. 

20 hours ago, Florete said:

Ike, Elincia, and Mist all use swords, but would play differently due to being infantry, flying, and cavalry (hopefully) respectively. Titania's primary weapon has always been axes and she's only been able to wield a sword upon promoting in RD. And for Sothe, I should have mentioned that I'm imagining this for a theoretical sequel where knives would be introduced.

Erm, I think you said something that I don't think is helping (indirectly mentioning Mist not starting off on a mount). And the lack of variety is also concerning... would you really expect them to take liberties with Titania??

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think anyone had a problem with the concept of focusing on just three game. It was the combination of the three chosen games that was the problem. With Awakening and Fates providing the vast majority of the roster the game is only really cattering to the newer fanbase while the Japanese get a bone thrown their way with Archenea. Meanwhile if you're a western fan that started with the GBA games or Tellius the game does very little to appeal to you. Those fans got a single character who doesn't even appear in the story. 

If a game only really appeals to one part of the fanbase, throws the other part of the fanbase only the barest of a bone and does everything to ignore the last part then I can imagine people, especially from the ignored part of the fanbase refusing to see how its for the best. 

You mean westerns fans that started with GBA/Tellius and didn't like the 3Ds games.

Can't empathize. I liked them all.

5 minutes ago, guedesbrawl said:

You mean westerns fans that started with GBA/Tellius and didn't like the 3Ds games.

Can't empathize. I liked them all.

Not necessarily. A large number of the old fans don't like the news games but I'm willing to guess that a larger extend does like them all. But if that's their starting point, their favored era or the one they hold in the highest regard. 

I like the new games well enough but I prefer the older characters and am annoyed that the game went out of its way to ignore them. And I can empathize with older fans not liking the newer games because those games do drop certain aspects that they liked about those games. 

Those fans have every right to be annoyed because they aren't just ignored but are the only part of the fanbase that got ignored. The Archenea fans didn't get the best deal in this game but they were at least taken in consideration. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Not necessarily. A large number of the old fans don't like the news games but I'm willing to guess that a larger extend does like them all. But if that's their starting point, their favored era or the one they hold in the highest regard. 

I like the new games well enough but I prefer the older characters and am annoyed that the game went out of its way to ignore them. And I can empathize with older fans not liking the newer games because those games do drop certain aspects that they liked about those games. 

As someone that started with Fe7... well.

i still think people should be happy and look at the positive side: next game is going to give them much more than a "complete" FEW1 could ever dream to.

13 minutes ago, guedesbrawl said:

As someone that started with Fe7... well.

i still think people should be happy and look at the positive side: next game is going to give them much more than a "complete" FEW1 could ever dream to.

Oh no doubt. But we had no idea how well this game would sell and thus also no idea whether there would be a a FEW2. If these three games really would be the only thing Fire emblem Warriors would give us then it would be a massive waste of potential. 

I don't think we still know the full sales figures. Koei said they were very happy to with the sales but I also saw a gamefaqs topic about Warriors not even making the top 10 Switch games in terms of sales. Then again Gamefaqs isn't entirely trustworthy. 

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Erm, I think you said something that I don't think is helping (indirectly mentioning Mist not starting off on a mount). And the lack of variety is also concerning... would you really expect them to take liberties with Titania??

Lissa doesn't start with axes, Sakura doesn't start with bows. They've done it before, they'll do it again, especially if it's based off PoR where Mist doesn't have a weapon in her base class at all. Regardless, lack of variety didn't prevent them from already putting a million sword users into this game.

What liberties? Titania has always been an axe-based unit. In PoR she starts with A axes, C lances and comes with a steel axe and iron axe, literally unable to use swords. In RD she uses only axes in her base class.

Edited by Florete

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh no doubt. But we had no idea how well this game would sell and thus also no idea whether there would be a a FEW2. If these three games really would be the only thing Fire emblem Warriors would give us then it would be a massive waste of potential. 

I don't think we still know the full sales figures. Koei said they were very happy to with the sales but I also saw a gamefaqs topic about Warriors not even making the top 10 Switch games in terms of sales. Then again Gamefaqs isn't entirely trustworthy. 

The big thing here is that people aren't looking at the full picture.

First? Sales. People need to STOP. You can't get ANYTHING worthwhile out of Sales without knowing Cost to determine Profit. and Profit is what truly matters. I'm sure some people might remember that Tomb Raider game that sold super well but, square I believe, was not happy at all with the sales. And that's because of Cost.

And form past KT successes, it's pretty easy to see their games are low-cost. They've been happy with games that sold quite a bit less--and FEW probably had money from nintendo poured into it.

Second: All of the thigns surrounding FEW were successes. Hyrule Warriors, the Switch, 3DS, Fates, Awakening, Heroes, Shadow Dragon (remember: Cost. Ds games are cheap to make).

It was a recipe for success. And even if it was NOT, having Ike and Roy carrying your marketing campaign together with the fancy new Fire Emblem is definitively going to draw attention. 

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Lissa doesn't start with axes, Sakura doesn't start with bows. They've done it before, they'll do it again, especially if it's based off PoR where Mist doesn't have a weapon in her base class at all. Regardless, lack of variety didn't prevent them from already putting a million sword users into this game.

What liberties? Titania has always been an axe-based unit. In PoR she starts with A axes, C lances and comes with a steel axe and iron axe, literally unable to use swords. In RD she uses only axes in her base class.

Mist actually starts with Sword in RD, so that's even better for her should they do a PoR focus. The bigger problem is the horse for a RD focus, but that's something they'll face with the SS Lords and I'm sure they'll just leave them on-foot with promoted outfits.

About the game's swords: look at who is leading each moveset. The only sword moveset not rooted in a Lord would be Olivia's, and she's only the 9th Awakening pick and they really didn't have a better option for that slot, as the only few interesting movesets conflict with a future shoe-in (gaius -> Sothe, for example).

There's a lot of people vying for those Tellius slots that I don't think Mist even has a shot. Especially since a RD Focus is much more likely for FEW2 since that' Ike's current identity, so seh has competition with: Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Soren, Elincia, Black Knight, A beast Laguz, Tibarn, Nephenee, Mia, Titania... all characters with more plot importance, uniqueness or popularity, if not all three.

2 hours ago, CmdrQuartz said:

There's shape shifters in every game. Could've gotten Killer bunnies from awakening or kitsune and wolves from Fates. For that matter I wish I could have awakening's manakete model and Nowi in this game.

Yeah but I mention them because Tellius is the only world where shapeshifters make up half of the continent and help drive the story. Besides I guess Divine Dragons as a light plot device in Archanea but Tiki's already in. Shapeshifters in other games are just window dressing. 

19 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah but I mention them because Tellius is the only world where shapeshifters make up half of the continent and help drive the story. Besides I guess Divine Dragons as a light plot device in Archanea but Tiki's already in. Shapeshifters in other games are just window dressing. 

not to mention all but Nowi and Selkie have crap popularity in japan.

We had too much fates and having two people doing Tiki's niche in two sides of the map is too ridic, so neither would happen anyway

13 minutes ago, guedesbrawl said:

There's a lot of people vying for those Tellius slots that I don't think Mist even has a shot. Especially since a RD Focus is much more likely for FEW2 since that' Ike's current identity, so seh has competition with: Ike, Micaiah, Sothe, Soren, Elincia, Black Knight, A beast Laguz, Tibarn, Nephenee, Mia, Titania... all characters with more plot importance, uniqueness or popularity, if not all three.

It depends on how they do it. In the base game, each focus game's characters were a specific "group." The primary shepherds (+ Cordelia) and the Ylissean royal kids for Awakening, all royal family members for Fates, and...well, Marth, Caeda, and Tiki. Point is, if they follow that trend for Tellius, they're going to start with a chunk of the Greil Mercenaries, and since I can't see them adding all of them (too many men), they're going to add the most relevant, initial ones, which is how I determined my list. Black Knight is a villain, so unless they decide to give us playable villains he's not happening. No beast laguz is really relevant enough unless Skrimir manages to make it in. I see no particular reason why Tibarn would make it in, his relevance is similar to the likes of Basilio and Flavia. Nephenee and Mia aren't relevant enough, though popularity could get them in as DLC, maybe Mia in the base game if it's RD-focused, but they might not want to add another sword.

I don't think it would be RD-focused. How is that Ike's "current identity" outside of Smash, which is even further from FE canon than Heroes and Warriors? PoR Ike won the CYL vote, both Ikes in Heroes are based on PoR, and among the fanbase PoR is just a better-known and more well-liked game (as much as it pains me for that to be true). I do think they'd make an excuse to slot at least Micaiah in, though, and quite possibly Sothe, as well.