Why Don't Pegasi Like Men?

Why don't they, are we too heavy, are we too strong, or do they just not like how are parts rest on them?

Or is there some deep lore I don't know about as to why they don't like us?

Edited by Captain Karnage

Pegasi lack the integrity in their bones to lift heavy people and men are heavier than women.

That's pure conjecture, I don't really know.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

cuz men are pigs /s

Real talk, I think it is because that females are more gentle in nature or maybe it's just the double standard as Pegasi are associated with females more often

The main reason comes from the myth of the unicorn which states that only pure-hearted maidens could approach them. Now, pegasi aren't unicorns though promoted Pegasus Knights do ride winged unicorns.

Then came Fates and said fuck that and gave us a new breed of pegasi that don't hate men.

14 minutes ago, KriegerZeta said:

Yeah, it's gonna be because what men have between their legs. Also, horses are more sensitve than dragons.

Is that why Pegasus Knights always wear miniskirts?  The Pegasus has to be sure there isn't any unwelcome addition between the legs?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The main reason comes from the myth of the unicorn which states that only pure-hearted maidens could approach them. Now, pegasi aren't unicorns though promoted Pegasus Knights do ride winged unicorns.

Then came Fates and said fuck that and gave us a new breed of pegasi that don't hate men.

The myth I remember is that the rider has to be a virgin to ride a unicorn.  Now the pegasi myths I remember have men riding them, not women.  I wonder if the myths were combined in Japan?  I guess I need to look up Japanese mythical horses to find out what their views on the subject are.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Is that why Pegasus Knights always wear miniskirts?  The Pegasus has to be sure there isn't any unwelcome addition between the legs?

Maybe. But now, when I think about it, maybe it is also because the positioning of the riders and also they attack their enemies.

1 minute ago, EricaofRenais said:

The myth I remember is that the rider has to be a virgin to ride a unicorn.  Now the pegasi myths I remember have men riding them, not women.  I wonder if the myths were combined in Japan?  I guess I need to look up Japanese mythical horses to find out what their views on the subject are.

Juno is a mother in FE6, and Fiora has a fling with Kent in FE7, so virginity doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Juno is a mother in FE6, and Fiora has a fling with Kent in FE7, so virginity doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.

I know, it is just that is where women being paired with unicorns comes from, since "purity" was a "woman's" trait when the myths were written down on paper, and because of that the unicorn became a symbol of the virgin Mary.  I don't remember any myths I have read with winged horses in them where the rider was a woman, all the ones I remember had male riders.  I think I am going to look up Japanese mythical horses right now and see what their myths say since I have the time, I will post again if I find anything interesting.

Well, from my brief research, while there are winged horses in Asian myths they are all depicted with male riders, and the unicorns in Asian myths do not have riders and are the keepers of law.  I guess it goes back to IS using the European unicorn myths as a base.  I think they mixed up unicorns and Pegasi and kept that up until Fates.

Edited by EricaofRenais

At least there's an explanation. Not unlike the Troubadours or Fighters who were not unisex because... because.

Anyway, personally, I think it was a neat little idea. So what if it doesn't match with Earth mythology; the FE settings don't take place on Earth, after all. Barring #FE, of course. Anyway, I'd wish it could actually remain that way, instead of going the Fates route. But eh, I'll deal either way.

20 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well, from my brief research, while there are winged horses in Asian myths they are all depicted with male riders, and the unicorns in Asian myths do not have riders and are the keepers of law.  I guess it goes back to IS using the European unicorn myths as a base.  I think they mixed up unicorns and Pegasi and kept that up until Fates.

They purposely made it like that to reference European Unicorns. The reason they changed it in fates was probably because classes are locked by route, and gender locking doesn’t work with the new partner and friendship seal with the already limited classes.

Edited by ZeManaphy

I wouldn't want a dude riding me, either, so I can relate.

34 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Pegasi and the term "Pegasus" are both from Greek mythology. There are also Norse Valkyries, who were exclusively women, who are often depicted as riding or winged or flying horses. So there are a lot of European sources for winged/flying horses.

Given that Pegasus Riders typically come from the "cold north", and their status as being almost entirely female, I'd wager Valkyries were more of an inspiration than unicorns.

Edited by Slumber

If a flying mount existed in reality, it'd be incredibly important that their riders be as light as possible. (They'd also wear little armour and use light weapons/equipment.) Women are smaller on average and the very smallest adult humans (say, under 80 pounds) are predominantly women.

The advantage that females would have as pegasus riders would probably eventually become ingrained in a weird cultural sentiment like "only women should ride pegasi". In other words, the in-universe explanation that pegasi prefer women is most likely total crap, but rather it's a cultural expectation humans have created with some basis in reality.

Hoshido is clearly a culture which gave that prejudice the finger. It's possible its pegasi are a little stronger, too.

I suspect wyverns are considered to be just so strong that the weight of their riders isn't as important (although this is questionable as a premise, but whatever it's dragons), hence why many of male and larger female riders of flying mounts tend to be wyvern riders, and often wear more armour too.