AGDQ 2018

Reality

Awesome Games Done Quick is an annual charity put on by speedrunners.  This year's schedule has been fixed for January 7-14 and the schedule is already up.

I'm a pretty hardcore viewer I guess so I'm going to watch most of it. 

Notes on the schedule this year :

Platforming games are the most represented Genre, as always.

Puzzle games have been cut way down. This makes me sad.

No extreme sports games.

F-Zero GX and Burnout Paradise are the only Racing games.'

FPS games are reasonably represented, split between early PC releases (Build engine games) and a couple modern shooters

A little more RPG heavy than usual for an AGDQ.

There are only 2 relay events. For the Megaman BLock and then for Enviro Bear 2000 during Awful Games Done Quick.

There are six Co-Op events - Little Big Planet 2 , Contra , Left 4 Dead 2, Dying Light , Guerrila War , Legend of Mystical Ninja

There are 13 Races - Super Mario Sunshiine 120 shine , Donkey Kong Country 2 , Sonic Adventure Race 2 , Legend of Zelda Link to the Past Randomizer , Legend of Zelda (NES) 100%, Super Mario World,  Mega Man X , Lovely Planet , Resident Evil 3,  Chip N Dale , Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Ori and the Blind Forest.

Runners doing multiple games : ThaRixer(2) , dxtr (3) , TheMexicanRunner (3) , angrylanks(2) , Brossentia (2) , peteyboo(2) Kirbymastah(2) , claris (2) ColonelFatso(2) kotti(2) DrTChops(3) sigma(3) whitehat 94 (4) Joka (2)  JSR2Gamers  (2) EndySWE (4) whitman_price (2) calco2 (2) Zic3 (2) SNeaky (2) Kowalazy (2) garbanzcurity (2)  Mike Uyama (2) Dragondarch (2) bjw(2)  halfcoordinated (2) 

The majority of the above are  running partly or all NES games or other 3rd gen consoles. 

There is no Super Metroid Race.

Personally I'm most excited for the Genesis and NES block and some one off things (cloudbuilt super monkey ball, jedi academy). I'll definitely look in on most of the other platforming games though. 

Dont forget Kirbymastah is running Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, with a bidwar for Eirika vs Ephraim route (obviously we make him take Ephraim route because early dozla is best dozla).

FE8, running Tuesday, Jan 9 @ 11:35am

@kirbymastah you gonna get Vanessa luck like what Gwimp had during the ExtraLife run?

Edited by Elieson

Impressed to see that BotW is already in an AGDQ and that they're doing something longer than "rush immediately to Ganon." Also nice to see more Fire Emblem and the LttP Randomizer.

So at SGDQ 2017, Breath of the Wild was not on the schedule, but secretly held back as a donation incentive announced on the second to last day, during the FF7 run if I recall correctly. I'm expecting them to do precisely the same thing in the case of Super Mario Odyssey Any%, also a game that can be beaten in an hour by one of no doubt dozens or hundreds of runners in attendance. Look at the schedule for the "Setup Block", those are the hour-long time frames they like to hide such runs in, and it happened six times at the last event. The stated purpose of these blocks is a buffer in case runs get too far off-schedule. My particular guess for Odyssey Any% is Setup Block 7, immediately following Super Mario World but before the Botw finale. 

The Super Metroid thing is definitely unfortunate. Such an incredible treat to watch runners race such a mechanically taxing game. But part of the reason why it's always a race is due to the likelihood of each runner dying. A death in Super Metroid is the end of the run. The last event was really tragic, as all but one of the runners got Game Over before the first half of the run. So the race became a one man run. The same thing happened a year before that at SGDQ 2016 where three out of four runners dropped. It's embarrassing, frankly, but I hope it wasn't the cause of its cancellation. Maybe it's a fake out and it will appear as a surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

In other, Metroid related news, Metroid Prime 3 makes it gdq debut this year. Now if they could just accept our Other M submissions...

Behemoth's SGDQ 2016 Super Metroid run where he was the only survivor was still a good run as the death of the frontrunner was the very end of the game, but to be honest the Super Metroid runs were becoming quite toxic and not really as "fun" as they were in years prior, although some of that had to do with long categories like 100%. For AGDQ in particular though, their last Super Metroid was really uncomfortable with the whole "go jump in front of a bus" moment, although thankfully Undertale salvaged the mood after that run. My guess is that it'll potentially be back in randomizer form as those races have been taking off and rando communities are extremely fresh.

ChristosOwen vs Andy in LTTP randomizer should be one hell of a ride. LTTP Rando has become one of the hottest head to heads among runners for its accessibility and fun factor and those two runners are two of the best at oddball LTTP categories. In the last main Open tournament, Andy and Christos both finished in the top 16 bracket out of 40 runners.

One of the donation incentive blocks I hear will be GrandPOOBear running Super Dram World? Which should be good.

Also people who can stay up late Wednesday/super early Thursday should tune in for Awful Games Done Quick. I hear there's a bidwar for Enviro-bear 2000 for a mystery 5th racer. I believe the candidates are Keizaron, authorblues and Brossentia?

The stream is live

23 hours ago, Samias said:

Also people who can stay up late Wednesday/super early Thursday should tune in for Awful Games Done Quick. I hear there's a bidwar for Enviro-bear 2000 for a mystery 5th racer. I believe the candidates are Keizaron, authorblues and Brossentia?

The Awful block is often my favorite part of a GDQ. Also I remember that Undertale run from that year, such a good finale. And I'm not an especially big fan of Undertale either, I just really enjoyed how into the run everybody was, especially the HUG THE GOAT chant.

The Games Done Quick youtube channel just started uploading videos of stuff from the first few days if you couldn't catch it live. As always, it's very sporadic and they aren't uploading in chronological order , but they will probbably switch some of the videos to unlisted and then properly number them by event by the time they have the full marathon represented. 

Of special interest to the people on this forum will be the Sacred Stones speedrun and Metroid 3, which were in this first group of videos. 

I do really encourage people to watch the NES games, but that's just me.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:01 AM, Elieson said:

Dont forget Kirbymastah is running Fire Emblem Sacred Stones@kirbymastah, with a bidwar for Eirika vs Ephraim route (obviously we make him take Ephraim route because early dozla is best dozla).

Funny thing about this: I watched his practice streams and in Ephraim route he actually beats the map with L'Arachel and Dozla so fast they don't show up and aren't recruited at all. Not the case with Eirika route, where they are on the map from the start.

It's over! And they even broke the insane record already set by ADGQ 2017 even without Super Metroid, even without the bump from Undertale fans, and even with the gripes about sub-only mode chat. This also has been maybe the most consistently quality GDQ events, with very punctual set-ups and no instances of anyone blowing up on camera. Even the downtime blocks were worth watching for Sent's prize pitches at the tail end of interviews.

HUGE shoutout to @kirbymastah for both an incredibly fun Sacred Stones run (I'm sorry I missed your Sonic run but that took place during my morning commute...), but also his amazing commentary on many, many games throughout the entire week. You're awesome, dude.

For people wondering what VODs to watch, I personally recommend Skyrim, Sonic Mania, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Resident Evil 7, RE3 race, Silent Hill, Battletoads + blindfolded Turbo Tunnel, Dragon Warrior, Metroid, Super Mario Sunshine, the entire Awful Games block, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy, Ori and the Blind Forest race, Owlboy, Mega Man 1-3 relay race, Ocarina of Time, Diablo, Bloodborne, Link to the Past randomizer, Super Mario World race, and Super Dram World 2 + TASBot. And that hardly scratches the surface of good runs. I also got up in the middle of the night to see tinahacks' Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap run because she is literally one of the kindest, most thoughtful speedrunners in the whole world who deserves a couple more eyes on her.

Awright, couldn't sit down and watch as many of the runs as I'd like, but here's some runs I can personally recommend at the moment.

Dying Light Any% Co-op. This game makes its gdq appearance this year and the co-op format really expands what the players can do. They haven't put this one up on the official Youtube at the time of this writing, but I'm sure somebody has

Super Mario Sunshine 120 Shines. Speaking as a former Sunshine runner, anybody can put out a half decent any% run, but 120 shines is an intense category where blue coin collection makes many of the easiest levels into some of the hardest. It also shows the full extent of Sunshine's bizarre glitches that you wouldn't see in Any%. You haven't seen Sunshine speedrunning until you see how they deal with the Sand Bird level at 2:07:40, as well as the clutch backup strat if you miss the final rocket.

Everything in the awful block. I most recommend Titenic. It's short and sweet.

Strider Tutorial. A new type of run where you watch a runner learn a speed game in real time and then perform their first run. Really excited to see if they do this format again at future events.

Warcraft 3 is a game I know very little about, but the commentators were incredibly into it, and that's all I needed in order to stay engaged. 

Link to the Past Randomizer is a real treat. GDQ generally doesn't accept categories that require hacked ROMs, but this one got in. Patty returns to grill his bud, Andy.

Edit: Oh, and how could I forget Punch Out + Super Punch Out. Not content with just being able to beat these games blindfolded, this community brings us two games at once with a single controller. 

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

You haven't seen Sunshine speedrunning until you see how they deal with the Sand Bird level at 2:07:40, as well as the clutch backup strat if you miss the final rocket.

Watched part of the run, including that Sand Bird segment. What kind of trickery is that Rocket Nozzle super launch? Or more importantly, that body slam with more air under it than a 747? Also, fun to watch how the Spin Jump got used so much, when for me it was a frilly unnecessary technique. 

Really, this shows that for all my years of gaming, I am only average or mediocre.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Edit: Oh, and how could I forget Punch Out + Super Punch Out. Not content with just being able to beat these games blindfolded, this community brings us two games at once with a single controller. 

I forgot about that one too in my list. I couldn't even beat one of these on my own, let alone two games at once. Amazing management of downtime and buffering to basically turn Punch Out into a boxing themed World Ends With You.