Any advice on finding safe GBA ROMs?

Golgotha of the Hills

If the file being downloaded is a 8-16 mbs gba file, then you're sure it's the rom and its safe. 

If it's a .zip, then make sure that the file inside is the gba rom before unzipping, and there's no shady exe.

If the file being downloaded is an exe, you should probably delete it, It'll either be a shady installer that will install other programs without telling you, or just a plain virus.

I don't exactly know if this kind of discussion is allowed, but the file extension should be a giveaway generally.

Edited by DragonLord

One thing to know is that Nintendo has taken down a lot of roms like Pokemon ones, so if you find one, you might download it, but the file might be blocked. So search for whatever rom you want with "unblocked" at the end of it.

Also make sure it's a gba file like Kirb said.

Edited by eclipse
That's getting into weird territory.

Talk about toeing the line, guys.

Anyway, you're kind of on your own, TC.  "Safest" way IMO would be to have a dedicated computer to play ROMs on, with said computer having no network card to speak of.  But that's not realistic for most people.

Sorry Eclipse! Thanks for not actually giving me an infraction though, I appreciate it.

Anyway. If someone has a dedicated rom computer without a network card, wouldn't it still get the virus if the "rom" was a virus installer? I mean, yeah, the average virus works by getting online stuff, but it can still probably do some things if you're offline, could'nt it?

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Sorry Eclipse! Thanks for not actually giving me an infraction though, I appreciate it.

Anyway. If someone has a dedicated rom computer without a network card, wouldn't it still get the virus if the "rom" was a virus installer? I mean, yeah, the average virus works by getting online stuff, but it can still probably do some things if you're offline, could'nt it?

It'll stop whatever needs to phone home for instructions.  It's not a perfect solution (the ideal one would be "don't download ROMs", but finding legit copies of old games can be challenging and pricey), but it's better than running an unknown binary on a computer that has a bunch of personal things on it!

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

(the ideal one would be "don't download ROMs", but finding legit copies of old games can be challenging and pricey)

Not only that, but you'd also need a rom dumper if you wanted to play on an emulator/hack your game, and that'd also mean your dumped rom would be different to the one you used to make your hack, which would make patching difficult.