A question for older gamers: Does gaming fatigue you faster?

Water Mage

This is something I’ve been noticing as I get older, that I can’t game for hours like used to. These days, I get fatigued when gaming much faster, for example, I recently got Super Mario Odyssey, and if I was a teenager, I would have gone to Cap Kingdom to New Donk City in one sitting, but now at 27, I went from the Cap Kingdom to half of the Desert, and I already got pretty fatigued from it. Does anybody else feel like they are getting fatigued from gaming faster as you get older?

I count 22 being old. Once you're out of high school, your gaming hours spiral down.

I used to be able to game for hours every day when I was a kid all the way til 1st year of college. Now I can barely play 2 hours without getting cramps or feeling sleepy.

Another thing is that it seems that there is a pattern of which games fatigued me faster. Large consoles games seems to tire me faster, particularly those where you have a lot do, like Breath of the Wild. God, Breath of Wild tires me so fast, I can’t play it for more 2 hours. And like Roonie, and tend to get cramps really fast while gaming these days.

I'm 26, and I can still binge like I did when I was a kid, supposing the game I'm binging is good/engaging.

However, I have a much harder time working up the motivation to actually play games. I'd go to BlockBuster as a kid, pick up some random bullshit, and blow through it in no time every hour I wasn't terrorizing my best friend's block. Now, the sixty moons of Saturn need to align for me to pick up a new game.

Edited by Slumber

I definitely notice this. I used to plow through a entire world on any of the classic Spyro games in one sitting, but now I do like a level a sitting, maybe two. Sometimes less. Maybe it's because it's not as exciting anymore since I've done it a million times, but I notice even on games I haven't played as much, I still don't binge. My gaming sessions never really last longer than an hour.

I'm not sure. On one hand, I can play for hours upon end if I'm motivated but most of the time, I have no motivation.

Pokémon X is a fantastic example of my motivation being high. I didn't put the game down except for eating or sleeping. I loved it (and still do).
But then something I still have to complete like a fair few FE games require a little more motivation for some reason.

The thing is, I've got plenty of time but the motivation just doesn't show up.

So, I suppose it's a bit of both, at least for me.

I'm 24 and have no obligations.

For me it's less age and more depression forcing you to exert effort into actually playing a game. My motivation is already pretty low and I have to use those spoons to handle all of my college responsibilities. Some games I can play for hours if it's something I've been looking forward to for a while, but usually only on a first playthrough. But games that I pick up on Steam, for example, during sales, I get fatigued just starting the game. I wish I could go back to my childhood and play games endlessly lol

I once thought it did but that turned out to be the result of the last years of the Wii and 360 being a barren wasteland. I could either pick games I already played a lot or new ones that only appealed to me because there was nothing better available. When I got a Wii-U and some great games again the fatigue disappeared almost immediately. 

I don't think I'm that old at 21 but what I've noticed is that I play less and less due to College and RL and when I have the time to play at times the fatigue gets the best of me so I end up sleeping even when I had the time to play. Of course this doesn't always apply, during stuff like Spring break and the like I can play for 10+ hours as long as I'm invested in the game, that's what happened with BotW actually, I could play that game somewhere around 11 AM and at the end of the session it would be 11 PM (of course with bathroom/food breaks).

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I once thought it did but that turned out to be the result of the last years of the Wii and 360 being a barren wasteland. I could either pick games I already played a lot or new ones that only appealed to me because there was nothing better available. When I got a Wii-U and some great games again the fatigue disappeared almost immediately. 

Now that you mention it, that does feel about right.

I'm 19, feeling like I'm one of the younger members in the site. Gaming doesn't fatigue me very much, it mostly depends on the game. Slower paced game I play in burst, but faster paced ones I'll breeze right through. But the biggest killer of playing games is my brother, asking for his turn on the computer several times a day. I love him, but sometimes I want to play more.

I'm 22, but I've also realized that can't really put more than 2 to 4 hours into a game without taking a break. My work has been closed because of the weather for the last two weeks and I've only beat Fire Emblem Warriors story mode and put about 12 hours into Horizon Zero Down. That's about 25 hours total. That amount would have been about 3 days worth if I was a kid.

I also have other issues. I feel the need to have a YouTube video or a Twitch stream playing in the background while I play. I also have a real bad struggle of trying new things. I could play new Final Fantasy or a new Fire Emblem with no trouble at all. But I've always been interested in The Legend of Zelda and Metroid, but it took me about a year to force myself to actually play Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime and it took several hours of playing it in order for me to actually get into it. But I feel like as a kid I wouldn't have issues with either one of these things

10 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I also have other issues. I feel the need to have a YouTube video or a Twitch stream playing in the background while I play.

I can sympathize with that. I have that need as well, although not all the time. It’s like, I feel like I need something happening in the background so I can concentrate.

4 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I can sympathize with that. I have that need as well, although not all the time. It’s like, I feel like I need something happening in the background so I can concentrate.

I know right? But it's a bit awkward at times because I like to play jrpgs, and I can't really read/pay attention to the cutscene and listen to the video I'm trying to listen to so I end up pausing the video a lot. And then the cutscene will end and I will continue to have the video paused for about 5 or 10 minutes only to realize that the video is not playing and then play it

Warriors? pretty good game to have a video on as background noise. Xenoblade 2? Not so much

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Overall I'd say it does fatigue me faster. I got a Switch for Christmas, after about 2-3 hours of playing SMO, the fun begins to fade, things become a drag, and my eyes get really tired. Yet hopping on my 3DS doesn't fatigue me quite the same and I can play much longer.

This plus mustering the motivation to play a game (years later, I still haven't played my copy of Black 2 at all or completed Skyward Sword) and defeat my evil backlog, and near total abstinence from gaming (particularly time consuming JRPGs) during school semesters has restricted how much I've played games compared to my younger self.

21 minutes ago, Zera said:

I don't get gaming fatigue because I only play Good Games. A lot of people are bad at recognizing padding.

I'd rather recognize padding in conversation than padding in a game.

I'm 22 and I just don't have the time I used to have but yes, I really can't play as long as I used to

I've also developed some kind of motion sickness, I can't play fast paced shooters anymore, but something slow like Skyrim I can handle

I'm 31, and I would game for hours if I could, but I have two kids who divert me attention every five minutes.  That's part of why I can only play turn base of games.

When I do have free time, I can play for hours, and I'm probably one of the oldest ones here.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm 22 and I just don't have the time I used to have but yes, I really can't play as long as I used to

I've also developed some kind of motion sickness, I can't play fast paced shooters anymore, but something slow like Skyrim I can handle

I've always had this, sadly.  It means I can't play most action RPGs.  Weirdly enough, FFXV doesn't trigger it.

The worst was when I played Mass Effect.  I had problems standing up afterwards.

38 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm 31, and I would game for hours if I could, but I have two kids who divert me attention every five minutes.  That's part of why I can only play turn base of games.

When I do have free time, I can play for hours, and I'm probably one of the oldest ones here.

Get off my lawn, etc. :P:

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Get off my lawn, etc. :P:

Just how much younger than another do you need to be before it is inappropriate to loiter on one's lawn?

Its actually kinda weird dynamic with me.  Now I'm out in the real world earning and saving up my own money.  I usually wait awhile to get games either on a steam sale or once they've gone down in price.  Yet this seems to still grow my backlog.  I find myself spreading my time across many titles at once.  Also with working IT and all I find myself console gaming again more since the last thing I wanna do after long patching and SA work is sit in front of another screen.  I've also wasted tons of hours using my Roku streaming anime netflix etc because after most long days I just want to lay back.