A question for older gamers: Does gaming fatigue you faster?

Water Mage

Used to, but age wasn't the factor in my case, it was circumstances. Being unable to do my thing for a long time made me lose my ability to get stuck in for long periods of time.

I may not be the oldest guy on the site, but I've noticed that choice-heavy games and 4X games tend to wear me out the fastest/most.

As much as I love KOTOR 2 for how many choices you're given, as well as how it's one of the few games were your decisions actually matter, this can be a double edged sword at times, as you can easily walk between one deep, thoughtful, and memorable conversation into another, which can get pretty tiring after a while. The overall darker tone of the story and setting doesn't help matters. And despite not having gotten that far in the game, Planescape: Torment is in the same boat (fittingly, they were written by the same guy).

The sheer length, scope, and size of 4X games like Civilization and Master of Orion also tend to wear me out after a while, simply because these games aren't short and a lot of strategy goes into the several different aspects of your empire. Granted, some of this fatigue comes from Master of Orion requiring micromanagement at times, but is compensated by the fact you can get a lot done in a single hour of playtime, while Civilization has the opposite issue.

I'm 34, and nope, I find the opposite.

However, this is largely because I'm almost solely a mobile gamer. Since having kids I've had NO time for TV consoles. Around the age of 27-28 I could easily spend 7-8 straight hours on the 360 or PS3.

Mobile gaming (DS, Switch) make it really easy to play games, though. I managed 500+ hrs in Fates with many long sessions because that's when my youngest was a baby and was feeding frequently, so I was often tied to a chair or the bed. These days I can play 7.30 pm (bedtime for the kids) - midnight easily (although I usually pause to do chores).

I think it'll also depend on the type of game and your personality, though. My husband gets bored easily with games; half the time he can't decide what to play, and when he does, he doesn't play for long. I have an obsessive personality so I get really, really into a couple of games a year. I rarely have under 50 hours in a game; if it's a short game, I play it multiple times. 

I bought Skyrim for the Switch last month and completed it last week with just shy of 200 hrs into it - that's an average of 6.5 hours a day, oops! 

I'm 27 and I can't play more than usually two hours of a game without feeling tired, as oppossed to when I was younger and would spend around five hours or so.

Though I feel like its more related to other factors than just age alone (ie. responsibilities, more health problems both physically and mentally, stress) and just even getting the motivation to want to feel like playing a game is such a chore.