Who is your favorite/least favorite Lord in the series?

indigoasis

I'm sure this has been done to death by now, but I'm curious as to which Lord(s) everyone likes/dislikes.

On that note, I would say my favorite lord in the series is Finn Leif. He honestly looks really cool to me, and he's a great character. I'm just waiting for him to be added to Heroes...

It's difficult to say which of the lords that I like is my top #1 favorite. Ike and Hector both are lords I like quite a lot, although I also like Sigurd and Seliph. I guess I would say that Ike is my favorite followed closely by Hector with Sigurd and Seliph earning high amounts of appeal for me.

Favorite: Alm and Roy. The former has a very likable personality. The latter has an inferiority complex that i can relate to. Roy's also one of my mains in Smash.

Least favorite: Sigurd. Props to him for having flaws and getting punished for it. I just could not care because of how boring he is. His manga adaptation fixed him but that's non-canon so...

Favorite: Well I like traits from each. And while I've largely become disenchanted with FE MCs as a whole, Hector retains some admiration on my part.

Least: Recently I've developed a disliking for Ephraim- way too reckless and yet nothing bad comes of it (save the little event where on Eirika's route her naïveté is emphasized). Say what you will of PoR Ike criticizing Sanaki- at least he got very heavily scolded for that and managed to learn to exercise some restrain. Ephraim never gets as much as that- and the one scene where his recklessness is punished, it doesn't outright say in any way "recklessness is bad, Ephraim made a mistake and it's all his fault".

My old, wrongful, impression of Ephraim was a lord with formal training in military matters. Skilled both in combat and strategy in a professional way and a prince/cess ready to perform that part of their royal duties. Not like Roy- brains without brawn, Hector- brawn without brains, Marth/Seliph- trained informally while in exile and otherwise prodigal, or Micaiah, who has zero military training and wins via miraculous powers.

This isn't to say any of those lords are bad, they aren't. It's just I'd like a lord totally mature in their natural royal duties of warring for change. Sigurd I'm not too familiar with, but he might count, I'd hope he would. Chrom- well he does kinda count, but gosh he is overly emotional, and I find getting past his childish bawling on the Robin sacrifice option difficult. Yet I'm not asking for perfection, I want a formally trained lord, but not an unrealistically always successful MC. Competency in strategy, fighting, and ruling are all desirable, but they can all be flawed while being competent, competent is not the same as perfect. Maybe they're a little indecisive, maybe a little too cautious, maybe they just make a bad decision at one point when presented with several options that all seem reasonable.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This isn't to say any of those lords are bad, they aren't. It's just I'd like a lord totally mature in their natural royal duties of warring for change. Sigurd I'm not too familiar with, but he might count, I'd hope he would.

I believe Sigurd would fit the bill. If you want to read about him, here's a link to the wiki page about him: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Sigurd

Favorite: Lyn, with Ike just behind her. To be honest I think they're equal in terms of quality, I just like Lyn more out of preference (I can't emphasis how small the gap is for me. I honestly love them both.)

Least Favorite: Corrin.

Favorite is Eliwood, I'm a sucker for the white prince archetype, and he plays it to a t, while still standing as his own character.

least favorite is Kris, and I don't even want to start that particular rant.

My favourite lord is Lyn. She has a lot of depth and I am a fan of her design. I guess Hector and Chrom also are honourable mentions.

Least Favourite: Roy. Such a pain to use him and drag him in long maps and a boring character from the very start of the game with almost no personality in him.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Favorite: Well I like traits from each. And while I've largely become disenchanted with FE MCs as a whole, Hector retains some admiration on my part.

Least: Recently I've developed a disliking for Ephraim- way too reckless and yet nothing bad comes of it (save the little event where on Eirika's route her naïveté is emphasized). Say what you will of PoR Ike criticizing Sanaki- at least he got very heavily scolded for that and managed to learn to exercise some restrain. Ephraim never gets as much as that- and the one scene where his recklessness is punished, it doesn't outright say in any way "recklessness is bad, Ephraim made a mistake and it's all his fault".

My old, wrongful, impression of Ephraim was a lord with formal training in military matters. Skilled both in combat and strategy in a professional way and a prince/cess ready to perform that part of their royal duties. Not like Roy- brains without brawn, Hector- brawn without brains, Marth/Seliph- trained informally while in exile and otherwise prodigal, or Micaiah, who has zero military training and wins via miraculous powers.

This isn't to say any of those lords are bad, they aren't. It's just I'd like a lord totally mature in their natural royal duties of warring for change. Sigurd I'm not too familiar with, but he might count, I'd hope he would. Chrom- well he does kinda count, but gosh he is overly emotional, and I find getting past his childish bawling on the Robin sacrifice option difficult. Yet I'm not asking for perfection, I want a formally trained lord, but not an unrealistically always successful MC. Competency in strategy, fighting, and ruling are all desirable, but they can all be flawed while being competent, competent is not the same as perfect. Maybe they're a little indecisive, maybe a little too cautious, maybe they just make a bad decision at one point when presented with several options that all seem reasonable.

Interesting that Ephraim used to be one of your favorite lords but now he's one of your least favorites. I guess your opinions on characters shift constantly similar to mine. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Interesting that Ephraim used to be one of your favorite lords but now he's one of your least favorites. I guess your opinions on characters shift constantly similar to mine.

Well when you reread the dialogue, you question whether you ever actually read it in the first place sometimes. I long thought that Bastian's boss convo with Izuka was Bastian asking Izuka about a cure for the Feral drug and Izuka saying something to the effect of "There is no cure for the feral drug you fool!", that is totally absolutely not what Bastian and Izuka actually say. The closest thing in the script is Bastian saying he was trying to get a cure from Izuka, and Izuka offering to make a cure in exchange for his freedom, which Bastian turns down because letting Izuka free is a bad thing. Maybe my mind was distorting that, and I'm doubting I ever actually had Bastian and Izuka fight when I was younger now that I think about it.

For Ephraim, this little line from 5x upon rereading suddenly sent the ship of love into the Marianas Trench. 

Kyle:
“We’ve secured the entire castle. You were brilliant, Prince Ephraim! What a plan! What a battle!”

Ephraim:
“I estimate at least half of the enemy troops are in the field. We took the castle, but we don’t have the manpower to hold it in a siege. There’s no point in lingering here. Let’s continue on to Grado Keep.”

You have 3 playables including yourself, probably no more than two hundred soldiers or something in invisible NPCs, given we know he's been desperate and doing guerilla warfare. You say you can't hold a single castle in case of a siege, and that you took it while the enemy's bulk was elsewhere.

And yet you have the audacity to think that you have the power to defeat Grado, the biggest most militarily prepared country in all of Magvel with that?! George Washington might as well have sailed to London and made England American! Or how about the modern little Polynesian island of Nauru invade Washington DC right this very instant? Ephraim, I really like the first two sentences up there, and the third is fine, but by whatever gods you worship, how did you seriously think the last?

There is also just changes in yourself and what you want of course/what your outlooks are. That happens too.

Rereading Ike's rather badass throwdown to Ashera before the final battle starts has suddenly led me to compare to Super Robot Wars's Kyosuke Nanbu, since he makes a similar final boss throwdown in OG1 on his route I think (or was it OG2? I can't remember). Helps that Ike and Kyosuke are alike in that they're quite stoic and very talented. Ike using the Ragnell, a big heavy sword and being himself physically a giant in RD reminds me of Kyosuke's personal mecha the Alteisen (Old Iron in German). Which he got because he's a test pilot used to unstable experimental mechs. Alteisen is big, heavy, loaded with close range weaponry in an awkward manner, the result being a robot that has major issues just standing upright. Yet Kyosuke manages to actually control it. The concept of the Alteisen is massive rushing offensive power. Later in OG2 the Alteisen is upgraded to Alteisen Reise (Old Iron Giant), it gets a Tesla Drive- a device for enabling constant flight- added to it. Yet the Tesla Drive doesn't actually let the Reise fly, since it got a bunch of armor and weapon upgrades that made it so incredibly unstable it needs the Tesla Drive simply to remain upright. 

Long story sort- Ike in my headcanon has an Alteisen Reise called Alteisen Strahlend (Radiant in German) with the Revolver Stake/Bunker replaced by a giant Ragnell, the Claymore launchers replaced by explosive Ettards, the Heat/Plasma Horn by a Regal Sword, and the Autocannon can fire mini Iron Swords or something. Rampage Ghost is replaced by... well I don't know what Soren's ideal mecha would be so I can't say.

31 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

It used to be the same for me. 

I used to really like Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim and Ike. Basically the manly, self-assured, headstrong lords. But as time went on, I realized that Sigurd, Hector, and Ike(PoR Ike, mostly) were flawed, imperfect, or weren't loved by everyone. 

Ephraim wasn't. He WAS flawless, he was boring, and he was loved by everyone. He's an incredibly boring character, since you more or less see his entire character in his first scene. He gets some scenes with Lyon, but it's not enough. 

The only reason he's not my least favorite is because I'd rather have a flawless character than somebody who is 90% flaws, but treated as if they're flawless. Which is why Corrin is such a pain. I used to think Robin was worse, but putting things into perspective REALLY makes Corrin dreadful. Because at least Robin more or less acts like the things people bend over backwards to suck his/her dick for. Corrin could step in dog crap on the side of the road, and basically everyone would applaud him/her for cleaning the streets. Except for CQ Takumi, who would probably accuse Corrin of putting the dog crap there in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Ephraim wasn't. He WAS flawless, he was boring, and he was loved by everyone. He's an incredibly boring character, since you more or less see his entire character in his first scene. He gets some scenes with Lyon, but it's not enough. 

Wait...Ephiram is a flawless character? I thought that was Roy's problem....

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Corrin could step in dog crap on the side of the road, and basically everyone would applaud him/her for cleaning the streets. Except for CQ Takumi, who would probably accuse Corrin of putting the dog crap there in the first place. 

Beautiful metaphor, I've tried concocting similar ones before, but none quite so nice. Helps Corrin is always barefooted. 

Ephraim's only redeeming features are: unique weapon type (not a Sword- yay!), pretty nice stats plus Reginleif, and an awesome looking base class. At least his perfectionist warrior bark is matched by his gameplay bite- they were consistent here.

And okay his Supports weren't bad for me- the perfection reckless streak doesn't appear here thankfully and I like him telling off Myrrh about the ridiculousness of some of her requests for closeness. That was good at the time, and extra good after TMS where Itsuki lets Tiki (who I think is fine- if contributing indirectly to the lolikete issue by putting one in a spinoff even if by itself her inclusion wasn't bad) call him brother all the time. Ephraim does let Myrrh call him brother, but its nice to know he isn't a passive sponge who will let this dependent little girl get everything she wants. Not to say people should trample over Myrrh, but Ephraim is encouraging her to grow as an individual and break from dependency, which is again nice given things like Faye in modern FE where dependency/obsession without any attempt to fix it is a thing. Soren I've heard some, with some validity, argue never grows out of dependency on Ike either, not good for him personally, not good for his character for us. 

Just now, Harvey said:

Wait...Ephiram is a flawless character? I thought that was Roy's problem....

It is the problem of: Marth (mostly FE1/11), Seliph, Roy, Ephraim, Ike, Corrin, Alm. They never lose, and any personality flaws are glossed over either completely in the case of Corrin and Ephraim, or just don't exist like Marth, Seliph, Roy, and Alm. Ike does get called out, but not enough compared to the praise and plot attention they get for some people, which can be reasonably argued. Marth, Roy, and probably Seliph all have self doubts and put on facades of strength, but that isn't a personality flaw, unless they suddenly have a nervous breakdown in their games, which they don't last time I checked. I wouldn't mind that though. Chrom might also be a Corrin-like situation, flawed, but his flaws are ignored spun in positive light. 

So most of the male lords are arguably perfect/flawless. The ladies never have qualified, Lyn being the closest in terms of what happens to her in the plot, but that is because after LM, she is unimportant- so no damselism, naïveté or major chance to show imperfection. And in terms of tactical perfection, Micaiah is the strongest with her miraculous powers guiding her military moves, but too much chaos can blur them and fatigue her outside of direct combat. Combat perfection- Micaiah is frail, so I'd hazard Lyn or Celica.

Favorite:

- Story-Wise - Sigurd. Mainly due to how he fits into the plot, his personality is just like most other lords boring

- Design Wise - Sigurd or Ike have the coolest character designs (visually). Ike looks like a real superhero, while Sigurd look likes a very grandiose and holy figure. Honorable mentions to Celica, and her magnificent red-orange hair and white-golden clothing. Edit: Oh and another honorable mention to Sigurd's badass armor, and clothes.

- Personality Wise - I feel like a lot of the FE lords have very similar personalities, but I'll go with Chrom just because he seems like he the does the best job at being this moral high-ground, no flaws, selfless, and accepting pretty-boy lord.

Least Favorite:

- Story-Wise - Corrin. He bends the plot over and takes it from the behind.

- Design Wise - Still Corrin to even my own surprise. Why? Because no shoes.

- Personality-Wise - Hmm. Probably Marth/Corrin, too pacifistic for my taste.

Edited by Logos