[FE5] "Unified Thracia" prototype: Menu and script translation through Ch. 3

ChimeraHardline

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I just uploaded a new version 0.3.6, which adds the script for 4, 4x, 5, and 6.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, IkeBoyDude said:

also, if I patch the rev 1 rom with the English patch first and then apply the 2.3 or 3.3 patches from here, it'll work? 

um, I wonder if this will work on the 3ds ver of snesx9? 

I have a SNES N3ds XL to test this out.

If you mean the other English script patch, then I don't think it will work. I haven't tried it myself but others have been unsuccessful, and given what I've changed in the ROM, I highly doubt that they'd be compatible. But I've actually played my hack on Snes9x for 3DS homebrew, and it worked out of the box. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ChimeraHardline said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I just uploaded a new version 0.3.6, which adds the script for 4, 4x, 5, and 6.

I love you. Thank you so, so much for your continued hard work!

Hey chimera! So you might have known this, but there was another thracia translation patch in the works, by Kirb and Zane. Unfortunately KIrb, who was doing a majority of the text insertion, gave up on the project at chapter 5, and he didnt want to keep going. But he did make a discord server for fans of the project, and of fe5 in general to just hang out and maybe help with the patch if he needed it. Since he left, I somehow have ownership of the server, and now we just kinda hang out and talk about fe5. But, if you want to, you could join the server, and the server would be based around your patch! There are also some pretty knowledgeable people that might be able to help with the patch, if necessary! Anywho, heres the invite, https://discord.gg/XV4Qht . Just let me know if it expired! Thanks!

That is actually impressive, the translation works just fine, you can read the dialogue easely thanks to that beautiful font, everything works and i love it.

Just hope to se this game fully translated one day and not be another dropped project.

Edited by Red Leaf

18 hours ago, Red Leaf said:

Just hope to se this game fully translated one day and not be another dropped project.

Hoping this is the one to watch. Please let this game be playable properly without having to learn an entire language.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:57 AM, ChimeraHardline said:

If you mean the other English script patch, then I don't think it will work. I haven't tried it myself but others have been unsuccessful, and given what I've changed in the ROM, I highly doubt that they'd be compatible. But I've actually played my hack on Snes9x for 3DS homebrew, and it worked out of the box. :)

yeah, after trying to run the English patched game with your patch it didn't work at all, the game won't even load in openEMU. 

oh well, no problem 

also, the patch v0.3.3 works past ch 3 (for menu only) perfectly fine, 

which is great as if the menu is totally readable/useable you can pretty much play the game even without needing the text :)

I used my ch 9 .srm save from the English patch and the v0.3.3 worked fine :) 

also, can't wait to try out the newest patch :) 

a good, clean,compelte,readable menu is super as before you couldn't understand anything in it (English patched menu), which made playing 776 totally unplayable 

now it's like 100% playable :) 

I'll keep an eye out for future updates this patch is all that we needed to make 776 playable like the other FE JAP games :) 

I'm pretty sure you already know this but when you open the menu with R after everyone ended their turn, the text cuts out of the box. There's also a few frames of weird text before the menu turns into English. The player and enemy phases don't show up either when their turns begin. Outside of these minor details it honestly looks great.

Thank you for all the effort being put into this project. As someone who's always wanted to play Thracia, and to play it properly, your work here is all I could ask for.

My best wishes moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thunderfang said:

So in about how many years should I anticipate to see this project done, and therefore be able to play Fire Emblem 5 in English?

Some time after FE5 Echoes.

My cynicism towards every other FE5 translation project won't let me believe that this will ever get finished.

I logged in after who knows how many years of anon-lurking just to say

THANK YOU

TC. 

Back in the days many years ago I, myself, struggled to make a clean, polished menu patch.

Had to modify pointers, the font graphics and whatnot to make it decently nice although incompatible with the story patch.

As I didn't want to play with either a clean menu patch or a story patch with garbled gameplay text (or vice versa) I simply didn't play more than the 1st chapter.

Now I can finally play this game (at least for 6 chapters).

I know one day you'll have this completed. I will put this on my backlog for now, but I will be watching this thread (as I have been since last year and the previous thread).

You deserve WAY more replies and thanks, I guess it's because this thread is burried in "Fan Projects" instead of the NES-SNES ERA sub board...

Anyway, I wish you all the best in your daily life TC.

On 8-5-2018 at 7:55 AM, Thunderfang said:

So in about how many years should I anticipate to see this project done, and therefore be able to play Fire Emblem 5 in English?

On 8-5-2018 at 9:50 AM, Slumber said:

Some time after FE5 Echoes.

My cynicism towards every other FE5 translation project won't let me believe that this will ever get finished.

These comments are extremely rude and disrespectful toward the creator of the translation. Making a translation patch takes time, especially when the translation is of a high quality like this one is, and not everyone has a lot of time to work on it each day. Keep in mind that Chimera does all the hacking and translations himself. He does absolutely not owe you anything and he has no deadline. Instead of whinging about the patch taking ‘years’, how about you enjoy what has been released and appreciate that?

1 hour ago, Quirino said:

These comments are extremely rude and disrespectful toward the creator of the translation. Making a translation patch takes time, especially when the translation is of a high quality like this one is, and not everyone has a lot of time to work on it each day. Keep in mind that Chimera does all the hacking and translations himself. He does absolutely not owe you anything and he has no deadline. Instead of whinging about the patch taking ‘years’, how about you enjoy what has been released and appreciate that?

But they do have a point.

If every translation needs to update the localized character name everytime FE Heroes releases a new set of characters, it can't be finished until the real official remake/localization version of the game is out there for sale.

15 hours ago, hanhnn said:

But they do have a point.

If every translation needs to update the localized character name everytime FE Heroes releases a new set of characters, it can't be finished until the real official remake/localization version of the game is out there for sale.

That has nothing to do with previous Thracia translation projects, or insinuations that this project is too slow/will be abandoned...

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TJC0122 said:

I can't seem to get the newest version to run. Does it need a clean rom or one with the old version of the translation? (I'm using snes9x)

You need the Rev A version of Thracia 776 to work. And yes, the rom itself needs to be a clean unmodified rom.

Alright been lurking here awhile and decided to post  to report a bug with Karin and her ride as soon as she starts riding it causes her sprite to glitch out into a mess and even changing appearance depending on what unit I've moved last. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this. But from what has been finished so far the patch is really great I love how it looks and is going so far! I can hardly wait to see more.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Leon345
Rewording sentences.