I've been meaning to play Thracia 776, but...

Flee Fleet!

Thracia 776 seems really interesting to play, given that I like Genealogy and would like to see what happens in this "midquel".

But...the problem is the translation. I can't play the original Japanese text because I can't read or speak Japanese, and I've heard that the old translation patch pretty much fucks up the script at times and the whole menu text is garbled.

However, iirc, the group working on the new FE4 translation patch planned to make a new translation patch for FE5, and there's also a new patch being created by ChimeraHardline, who also made a separate patch that only translates the menus. 

So, what I want to ask is....should I just go for it and play FE5 with the old translation patch? Or should I play the game with the menu patch and look at a separate script to know what the story is about? Or perhaps, should I just wait for a full translation patch of this game? Any advice and suggestions would be nice.

The only thing that the old translation patch has that is annoying is a bug in the semi final chapter where you have to disable the unit label( ie, when you point at units, it displays their names and HP) otherwise, the game will freeze if you select those mercenaries in said chapter. Not a big issue though.

However, the issue isn't with the old translation. That is the least of your problems because even so, its fan translated meaning it won't be properly localised and what not. The issue here is are you willing to play what might arguably be one of those hard games you've yet to experience? This game can't be done in just one sitting nor is it easier than FE6.

If you can put up with the challenge, then I'll tell you that the old patch is not going to like..atleast ruin the gameplay experience of the game. Granted, the text for shopkeepers and arena fights are horrendous but besides those and some major....plot text glitches, if you're just into the gameplay side of things, go for it. I did it and while I got frustrated in some aspects, I had a fun time with it and I may want to revisit it again someday.

However, if story is something you're into, then don't bother with the game or just learn Japanese and enjoy the game better that way. :P

The translation is buggy in places, the text is definitely not fixed in menus and it's kind of known for a meme for years now (unless that was an older patch I'm thinking of). It's merely serviceable and if you want to wait that's fine.

The issue for Thracia is that it's a game that is far tougher without guidance as there is a lot of weird mechanical differences and design choices that are plain frustrating. Doesn't help that the best guide for the game is on a Spanish site (which is alleviated by the guide getting a full translation without google translate). But if you do know what you're doing it's so exploitable that the difficulty really goes down.

I'd say that Thracia is the hardest title on it's lowest difficulty out of what I've played, particularly if playing blind.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

That is the least of your problems because even so, its fan translated meaning it won't be properly localised and what not.

I mean, considering FE4's, 6's and New Mystery's fan translations, the old Thracia 776 one could definitely improve itself.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

However, if story is something you're into, then don't bother with the game or just learn Japanese and enjoy the game better that way. :P

Well, I mean I could do that, but I'm too lazy to learn Japanese, lol. And yeah, I want to enjoy both the gameplay and story, hence why I asked if I should just read the script online along with using the menu patch.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

The translation is buggy in places, the text is definitely not fixed in menus and it's kind of known for a meme for years now (unless that was an older patch I'm thinking of). It's merely serviceable and if you want to wait that's fine.

Eeh if the translation is too buggy and the menus near to unreadable then I might as well not try the old patch.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

The issue for Thracia is that it's a game that is far tougher without guidance as there is a lot of weird mechanical differences and design choices that are plain frustrating. Doesn't help that the best guide for the game is on a Spanish site (which is alleviated by the guide getting a full translation without google translate). But if you do know what you're doing it's so exploitable that the difficulty really goes down.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

However, the issue isn't with the old translation. That is the least of your problems because even so, its fan translated meaning it won't be properly localised and what not. The issue here is are you willing to play what might arguably be one of those hard games you've yet to experience? This game can't be done in just one sitting nor is it easier than FE6.

I'm going to be using a guide for the most part, or at the very least, I'm going to make a separate topic for tips and advice while playing the game, kind of like the topic I made when I first played FE6. So yeah, I think I'll be able to handle the difficulty.

21 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Eeh if the translation is too buggy and the menus near to unreadable then I might as well not try the old patch.

It's more like you have to know what the messed up text means. It mostly affects options in the menu and flavour text for items, so stuff like items themselves, characters and numbers are fine. It's playable for sure.

This is from the patch I have, to give an idea of what it's like for gameplay. Didn't get any glitchy story dialogue in the short time I was checking, so this'll have to do.

Spoiler

This is from about mid-game.

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-05-00.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-05-42.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-06-30.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-07-01.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-07-29.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-10-34.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-11-19.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-12-17.png

Edited by Dayni

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

It's more like you have to know what the messed up text means. It mostly affects options in the menu and flavour text for items, so stuff like items themselves, characters and numbers are fine. It's playable for sure.

This is from the patch I have, to give an idea of what it's like for gameplay. Didn't get any glitchy story dialogue in the short time I was checking, so this'll have to do.

Hide contents

This is from about mid-game.

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-05-00.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-05-42.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-06-30.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-07-01.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-07-29.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-10-34.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-11-19.png

Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-12-17.png

Ah, I see, in that case I can play the game, although getting to used to what each "messed up text" option means will take some time, but it's not that big of a problem I guess.

In that case, I can play the game with the old patch just fine, from the gameplay perspective. What about the script in the patch? Is it accurate, does it have messed up text often e.t.c.?

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

In that case, I can play the game with the old patch just fine, from the gameplay perspective. What about the script in the patch? Is it accurate, does it have messed up text often e.t.c.?

I don't think it glitches up much at all, but it's been a while since I played it in full. I'm not someone who pretends to say a translation is accurate, so I'd ask someone else.

The only gamebreaking glitch is on a chapter near the end of the game but that's in gameplay and can be prevented by turning an option off in the menu.

22 hours ago, Dayni said:

I don't think it glitches up much at all, but it's been a while since I played it in full. I'm not someone who pretends to say a translation is accurate, so I'd ask someone else.

Ah, I see. Well, I'll just look it up or ask in the FE subreddit.

22 hours ago, Dayni said:

The only gamebreaking glitch is on a chapter near the end of the game but that's in gameplay and can be prevented by turning an option off in the menu.

I assume the option in question is related to Battle Animations? If so, then I can deal with that.

21 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I assume the option in question is related to Battle Animations? If so, then I can deal with that.

Actually no, it's an option that can be toggled off but it's not animations. Looking up generic enemy mercenaries (essentially the hero class) crashes the game, and that includes scrolling over them if you have certain options toggled on. But that's avoidable and they can be fought without crashing.

It only affects generic mercenaries in the last 3 chapters.

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

Looking up generic enemy mercenaries (essentially the hero class) crashes the game, and that includes scrolling over them if you have certain options toggled on. But that's avoidable and they can be fought without crashing.

Ah, well, that seems better, since I rather keep battle animations on. Thank you for the info.