Virtual Console titles you would like to see on Switch

Sentacotus

We know eventually its coming.  What stuff would you like to see on the VC for the Switch?  I would love to see GCN titles finally get put up there especially with the ability to play them portably too.  While I know theres been issues with saves being lost I also hope by syncing purchases to your Nintendo Account they would be able to back up at least the license to download the title itself on there since storage could quickly become an issue for some. 

Edited by LordOTaco

Many credible sources have claimed that a translated emulation of Mother 3 was definitely coming, and they ended up being wrong. These days most seem to believe that Mother 3 has been ready for years, and Nintendo has been waiting for the appropriate moment to release it. The debut of Switch VC feels like that time. When the Wii U's VC launch was eminent, they promised the release of Earthbound in the future. And we got it a few months later, cool trailer and all. I'm expecting that sort of treatment for Mother 3. Believe the hype, this is an incredible game.

Switch VC entices me not just due to the portable nature of the system, but also to the Switch's region un-locked eshop. For speedrunning, most games tend to run fastest on the Japanese version of the game. The text is the fastest in that language, and since Japanese release is usually the first release, it is the least tested version of the game that has all the delicious bugs and exploits. Furthermore, Virtual console games tend to be pretty well optimized for the new hardware, at least from what I personally noticed on Wii U. Games would load much faster than on their vintage console counterparts and boast superior frame rates, yet also have all the bugs intact. That's generally a best case scenario in which classic games get to be even faster than they ever could have been. 

As for gamecube games, nobody can say no to that. As a Fire Emblem fan, I definitely want Path of Radiance so that more people can experience it without breaking the bank. I also want Super Smash Bros. Melee. Some people clamor for a Melee HD remaster, but that's a very tone deaf suggestion with regards to people still playing the game competitively. Naturally these fans don't care about increased graphical fidelity, and they'd have to remaster from the most up to date version of the game - the PAL release. The PAL version is not officially recognized in tournaments due to numerous gameplay balance differences. A straight VC release of Melee would be the most palatable way of releasing the game for the sake of its players, as well as the most consumer friendly since it'll be cheaper and the Switch's region un-locked eshop allows you to nab other region's versions of the game if you don't live in North America.

First - I think that the Switch Virtual Console will combine the 3DS (past gen hand-held) and Wii U (past gen console) VC

I kind of think that the Switch's Joycon remote (like the Wii U's gamepad) would be helpful for the GBA-Link Gamecube games. Mostly Pac Man VS, Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Although download play in stuff like Animal Crossing/Billy Hatcher/Rayman 3 shouldn't be left out imo.

My default assumption is for First party titles, Sega titles, Konami titles, and Capcom titles, since those developers were the most supportive for the Wii U VC. I only stretch for other companies games when there is some precedent of support or the game's importance to the console's library makes it silly for Nintendo not to put in the extra effort for it.

SNES

Illusion of  Gaia

R type 3: Third Lightning

Actraiser

N64

I made a thread about this last year

But basically the first party titles not already on VC + the first 2 Turok games. Konami might put in it's N64 Goemon games + Castlevania, but they aren't that big a part of the console's legacy.

GCN

GCN Warioware - so many hours of playing this at my house

Battalian Wars - It's kind of a proof of concept, but I don't think we'll leap straight to Wii VC for Battalion Wars 2, so there.

Mario Party 4-7. - All have good qualities on their own. 

Wave Race : Blue Storm - I miss Wave Race more than F-Zero

F-Zero GX - it's still a defining game.

Mario Kart: Double Dash - Used to be very popular at my house, but I find a lot of the track design to be the most annoying in the series these days (mostly the special cup)

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - A lot of the Dreamcast ports (Crazy Taxi / Sonic Adventure) ported with Jankiness, but Skies of Arcadia was the one to make the best transition since it A: reduced the encounter rate from zubat level to still too high. and B: Added the bounty missions (optional superbosses) to an otherwise very easy game.

Mario Sunshine - I am usually a little negative about this game, but It has one of my favorite physics in the mario series. I still think the level design isn't quite worthy of the fluid movement aside from the Secret stages. but those are worth the price of admission alone.

Billy Hatcher - It's a nice 3-D platformer, although I always thought that the ground pound/double jump thing made the game feel more heavy and slow than it should, and while Glover overall is the worse game due to it's level design, it WAS more fluid in its movement (see dribbling in Glover vs the spastic use of the Dash button in this game or being able to walk on top of the ball without needing a specific power up hat) 

Wind Waker - I still  think the HD version a while back could have cut down on the ocean's size (beyond adding the swiftsail) as it's more obvious than ever that it partly exists to hide loading times.

Twilight Princess

Viewtifull Joe 1-2 -

Metroid Prime 1-2 - 

Super Monkeyball 1-2 - I know that the levels from the first 2 games are stuffed into the modern portable SMB games, but I've never really considered those to be "on the level"

DK : Jungle Beat - I think it got a "new motion plus" edition, but it really deserves more recognition than it gets, since it's pretty much the best 2-D platformer of the 6th console generation. It doesn't try to be DKC 4, but instead it has a kind of unique kind of score-attack design, and some of the levels I absolutely adore (Grape, Pinapple, Peach kingdom)

Star Wars: Rouge Leader - LucasArts re-released the PC version of Rogue Squadron, and this is by far the superior game.

Paper Mario: TTYD

Eternal Darkness - I really wanted to like this game more than I did, but having to play through it 3 times for the true ending makes it's slow pace really noticeable. It does have a really good setting and tone the first time through though.

Baten Kaitos : Personally I think that the Baten Kaitos Card system is really uninteresting until it starts adding mechanics in disc 2 (the story is pretty slow up to that point as well) but it is one of the definitive GCN RPGs. 

Several crossplatform games - probbably not going to happen

Every rare and/or expensive game that's impossible to get physically without donating your bank account.

Path of Radiance, Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, Super Robot Taisen Endless Frontier, Rival Schools, Project Justice, Power Stone 2.

Well, I'd like for the next VC to introduce the long-lost cousin of Isara and-

Oh wait, you mean Virtual Console.

Well, definitely want them to jam the Tellius games in there.  Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are too difficult to acquire, and I would hope that with the growing popularity of FE and the huge success Ike saw in that CYL poll that devs seem to rely on a little too much, they'd see more reason to make those games more accessible.

It'd also be cool if we could get a translated version of Mystery of the Emblem or even New Mystery of the Emblem.  A lot of Americans really only have access to the first part of Marth's story, which is a crying shame.  I won't expect the Jugdral games to get translations as well since I think it's more likely that they'll get the Echoes treatment.

Aside from that...  Maybe they ought to just get some of the more obscure stuff.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Aside from that...  Maybe they ought to just get some of the more obscure stuff.

Speaking of that, I'd take Custom Robo on GC VC (not that I'd need it since I still have all my Gamecube stuff). It is something of a shame there hasn't been another entry in the series since Arena, which while loaded with far more customization options and therefore better gameplay, had a kiddy anime aesthetic like most of them. While Battle Revolution (the Japanese subtitle for the GC one) was more of a serious-ish (not totally given sexy chief lab scientist and battleable enemy generics in just their underwear) teenage anime aesthetic with more realistic-ish robos that would look awesome in HD

It's a shame I gave up on ever playing Terranigma, since the plot of that game sounds really cool for its time from what Wikipedia summarized of it. But I only read Wikipedia's summary since I thought I'd never actually get the chance to play it and hence would never see the plot outside looking it up online.

Obviously they need Paper Mario Thousand Year Door and they better do that yesterday! Loved the game despite its backtracking faults. My younger self never tackled the Pit, nor learned to superguard, but I love PMTTYD. Yoshi, Ms. Mowz, Vivian, Excess Express, Glitz Pit, and Rogueport, I wish for others to know you. But I really wish they got rid of those two bizarre scenes with Peach

Spoiler

- the one where she showers and TEC opens the door afterwards (implying he saw her bathing or something), and the one later where its implied she had to remove at least her dress to go invisible due to a potion.

This is like the suggestion of rape and pedophilia scenes in Skies of Arcadia. Seriously mature themes that have absolutely no place in their child friendly games and are so stark and dislikable for that.

I can get used to Zero existing in Kirby, but not these since Zero is only blood, these are so much worse.

For the love of Beat Em Ups, could they put Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 on GC VC? Although the GC version of VJ1 would lack the PS2 port's playable Dante- least we still have Alaster.

And obviously I want the Baten Kaitos duology up there. For all their faults (I'd say BKEWatLO has slightly more), they are two solid JRPGs.

I think the game used the Mic so I don't know what they could do about that, but Odama, the Feudal Japan Pinball RTS, is certainly one of the more unique GC titles out there.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, I'd like for the next VC to introduce the long-lost cousin of Isara

Spoiler

Since I did play up to the point where she died (I think I might restart the adventure and complete it this time soon). I was totally surprised by it. A random enemy attack by generics and she randomly gets killed in the fray IRRC. No noble sacrifice, not sign at all she was to die. I thought she plus Welkin and Alicia formed an unkillable mascot trio! She was really nice too. Why?

Although if my memory hasn't distorted itself. I recall noticing how the R&D was a little odd with only the bro guy running it and the green haired nerd (Kreis right?) nowhere to be seen whenever you're shopping there. So when I saw he took over Isara's job, I kinda went "So that is why he was never in R&D! They'd have to alter the shop after he leaves and didn't want to bother doing that!".

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals

I would buy a switch the day that this is advertised, simply for this eshop VC rerelease

There isn't really anything that I'd ask on the VC to be honest. I mean, I'd rather that a complete remake comes for Tellius which tells all three main characters' stories properly and in full, and a HD remake for F-Zero GX which tells an additional story of how the F-Zero world transitioned into Maximum Velocity 25 years later.

Edited by henrymidfields

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

There isn't really anything that I'd ask on the VC to be honest. I mean, I'd rather that a complete remake comes for Tellius which tells all three main characters' stories properly and in full, and a HD remake for F-Zero GX which tells an additional story of how the F-Zero world transitioned into Maximum Velocity 25 years later.

Geez yes i would go into cardiac arrest if we ever got an HD overhaul of F-zero GX.

I forgot to mention the two Pokemon Colosseum games, actually. The only question is whether we can send anything from the Pokemon VC games...

But I still think that very few games from GC and GBA have been worth my attention, and the ones that I think are worth getting are either non-exclusives (Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) or ones that I'd rather wish remade and upgraded on the Switch (the aforementioned FE Tellius duo, all SFC and GBA FE games, and F-Zero).

Edited by henrymidfields

More third party consoles like the Sega Saturn, Sharp X6800, Turbo-Grafx-16, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, etc.  More Nintendo consoles is fine (I can get the appeal, especially considering the Switch's portable nature), it's just boring and not particularly interesting for me.  If I wanted GameCube games, I'd just buy them and play them at home.

I suspect that this will not happen and the Switch VC will be god awful just like the 3DS VC (no Virtual Boy games on a system designed for 3D gameplay is the biggest missed opportunity of all time, there were so many other portable consoles that would have made great additions, and even the consoles that they did have don't have great representation).  Wii U VC was incredibly disappointing too but it had a lot more highlights, at least.  Nintendo has not bothered to put any effort into making a half decent VC library since the original Wii, and the ability to buy those games is going to be gone in a few months.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Every single Super Robot Wars game that's been in a Nintendo console/handheld.

Sounds wonderful- and if you can handle the Japanese, then the ability to shop other regions eShops would make this easy. But has SRW ever gone on VC or anything of the sort? I'd think licensing would be a hindrance to this. Although I think SRW64 is a little more in legal issues since so far, OG hasn't included them at all, that its originals are the predecessors to the Advance mecha of Soulgain, Angelg, Vysaga, Ash Saber, and I think Zweizergain even, shouldn't be too big a deal. Since if the original Hucky is capable of standing tall alongside the Mk III (although the Mk II isn't), no reason the Earthgain can't compete with Axel's. Or maybe Banpresto just dislikes 64, since the Irm and Ring alternatives from the Classic series have been ignored and they don't presumably have the same issues. 

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds wonderful- and if you can handle the Japanese, then the ability to shop other regions eShops would make this easy. But has SRW ever gone on VC or anything of the sort? I'd think licensing would be a hindrance to this. Although I think SRW64 is a little more in legal issues since so far, OG hasn't included them at all, that its originals are the predecessors to the Advance mecha of Soulgain, Angelg, Vysaga, Ash Saber, and I think Zweizergain even, shouldn't be too big a deal. Since if the original Hucky is capable of standing tall alongside the Mk III (although the Mk II isn't), no reason the Earthgain can't compete with Axel's. Or maybe Banpresto just dislikes 64, since the Irm and Ring alternatives from the Classic series have been ignored and they don't presumably have the same issues. 

Most if not all of the PSX (Complete Box (2,3,EX), Shin, 4 Scramble, F, FF, Alpha, Alpha Gaiden) games are in the PSN. Also the first Z game is also in the PSN. And of course, PS3 and PS4 games have their digital releases.  Outside of that... no idea. At least Nintendo-wise. I know the rest of the PS2 games aren't in the PSN. So, I doubt licensing is an issue. Considering the Alpha Games and Z have big casts... heck, Alpha has Giant Robo, whose liscencing price nowadays is through the roof.

It's certainly no problem. I've already bought Alpha and Alpha Gaiden from the PSN, so I know my way through the Japanese online shop, hahahaha.

I think it was stated 64 won't be making an appearance in the OGverse, though I don't remember the reason why. But it's not because they dislike them, that's for sure. I'd think. As for Team PTX... well, in Alphaverse and OGverse canon, they're all dead except for Irm and Rin, though that's likely how they chose to not have them show up, not because.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

In general, Gamecube Titles are a safe choice.
- Tales of Symphonia (the GC version was the best one)
- Paper Mario: Thousands-Year Door (because Nintendo really needs a message about Paper Mario)
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

But I want to have a title more than anything; a series to be exact.
Freaking Metroid Prime Triology. Make that one happen.

If we're getting Gamecube games:

Path of Radiance

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Sonic Heroes

NFS Underground 2

NFS Most Wanted

Kirby Air Ride

Super Mario Sunshine

Star Fox Assault 

Mario Kart Double Dash

Tales of Symphonia 

Luigi's Mansion

Pokemon Colosseum 

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

MegaMan X: Command Mission 

Super Smash Bros. Melee 

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Edited by RulerJeanne

Honestly the more I think about it I kinda wish they would just upload the entire VC on there at once.  I was always kinda curious why they didn't do it with the Wii U.  Sure maybe not to strain the servers you do it weekly split it up in fourths and upload the entire VC within the month.

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

Honestly the more I think about it I kinda wish they would just upload the entire VC on there at once.  I was always kinda curious why they didn't do it with the Wii U.  Sure maybe not to strain the servers you do it weekly split it up in fourths and upload the entire VC within the month.

I assume it takes more effort to get games on the VC then just uploading a file to the eshop servers. If you've ever tried emulation, you may have encountered games that clearly don't look or sound right. Weird visual artifacts, sound effects being distorted or appearing in the wrong spots. Various HD Collections can also serve as examples of shoddy port jobs, most notably the Silent Hill HD collection that features a very broken Silent Hill 2. Nintendo is a stickler for putting out finished products, so they'd have to fix any issues that may arise. The people doing the emulation work are not the game's original developers, so even if they were given access to the same developer tools used to make the game, they'd have to become proficient in developing that game's unique framework, and that takes immense skill and a lot of wage paid labor. Usually changes to games made in VC ports are simple ones like text changes or cutting down on flashing visual effects that may enduce seizures. So it's not always some fiasco to port a game. I also find it highly unlikely that any games put on the NES Classic and SNES Classic weren't also made Switch ready in preparation for the Switch's theoretical Virtual Console.

Another aspect of Virtual console that can delay releases is simply renewing usage rights. I'm no expert on the subject, but I assume Nintendo must pay for the privilege of selling games they themselves never made. And games that are decades old could have their rights split up amongst numerous publishers. So all in all If Nintendo thinks they'd have to pay more money/development time to put a game on VC then they'd reasonably earn back, then it's not worth it from a business perspective.

16 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Another aspect of Virtual console that can delay releases is simply renewing usage rights. I'm no expert on the subject, but I assume Nintendo must pay for the privilege of selling games they themselves never made. And games that are decades old could have their rights split up amongst numerous publishers. So all in all If Nintendo thinks they'd have to pay more money/development time to put a game on VC then they'd reasonably earn back, then it's not worth it from a business perspective.

In all likelihood thats likely the biggest issue it did take a very long time after all to get Genesis, TurboGrafix, Neo Geo games on the VC.