Idea's for special Story Mode runs of FE:W?

Jedi

Now while i've been grinding my weapons up and slowly going through the new History Maps, I've been wondering, is there a way I could do a new game in an entertaining way? This is a ire emblem title after all, and multitudes of runs with restrictions or oddball goals are always fun. 

Would any of you like to give me suggestions on a possible one for a series of videos or a stream down the line?

Aside from the obvious ideas (all of X type of units/only units from a specific game), I can't think of anything interesting that wouldn't be counter-productive to the whole "grinding" deal.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Aside from the obvious ideas (all of X type of units/only units from a specific game), I can't think of anything interesting that wouldn't be counter-productive to the whole "grinding" deal.

Well it'd be a brand new file (since they allow 3) I was thinking a low level run where I have to keep rotating out the higher level units to challenge myself against the higher scaled enemies.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well it'd be a brand new file (since they allow 3) I was thinking a low level run where I have to keep rotating out the higher level units to challenge myself against the higher scaled enemies.

Gah, how'd I miss that?

In that case, a two person run: only your main lord and one other character under your control (when you can; when you're forced to have more, you have to put them in pair-up/can not attack with them).

Here's one I had a lot of fun with: play starting on Hard and continue through to Lunatic without ever using the Camp, except for that one forced tutorial. That means no smithy, cash for levels, promotions or crests of any kind.

And, of course, there's always ye olde speed run as a challenge.

Oh, and, for any of these, do it without Azura, because she's super dumb with her Prf Brave.

Use bronze weapons with no weapon attributes.

Always have units fight at a weapon triangle disadvantage.

No promotions.

Use fliers as your exclusive archer counter.

Use Frederick and other low-res units to counter mages.  Bonus: if you have a Conduit Axe or some other (preferably weak) weapon with Topsy-Turvy, give it to him.

Use "low-tier" units (whoever those may be).

PMU's?

Run solo (as in, use only Rowan or Lianna; no allies at all unless mandatory).  Can do subsequent runs solo or otherwise with other unleveled, unpromoted units, and on higher difficulties as well.

Are these good suggestions?

question on the new game thing with dlc, do you get the units as soon as you get access to the history maps? cause im thinking when all the dlc is out, a dlc character only story run would be fun to try out.

49 minutes ago, Thany said:

question on the new game thing with dlc, do you get the units as soon as you get access to the history maps? cause im thinking when all the dlc is out, a dlc character only story run would be fun to try out.

You literally get them all on Chapter 2, so I think that's a "yes".  Even Oboro and Niles, as if the game ignores the fact that they are supposed to show up later in the story.  And during the Fates arc, you can use them interchangeably (as in, you can use Oboro in a Nohrian chapter, then use her in a Hoshidan chapter).  It's quite silly, but at least you can always use two foot lancers in case you ever are worried about archers but want to retain that WTA.

I'm going to assume the same applies for all other DLC characters.  If that is the case, then that opens up a lot of different possibilities for challenge runs.

One recommendation I have is for a potential challenge run, you either always have the protagonist pair up with someone so he/she effectively does not exist except for in stat boosts, or you play through the game first on easy with just the protagonist and whoever else you don't intend to use, then go through the story again with the characters you actually intend to use.  In case you don't remember, you actually can remove units from the deployment.  I might recommend the latter only because then you'll have access to all four deployment slots as well as Lunatic difficulty with all the units you intend to use at just level 1, but it'd all just depend on what you want to do.

10 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

You literally get them all on Chapter 2, so I think that's a "yes".  Even Oboro and Niles, as if the game ignores the fact that they are supposed to show up later in the story.  And during the Fates arc, you can use them interchangeably (as in, you can use Oboro in a Nohrian chapter, then use her in a Hoshidan chapter).  It's quite silly, but at least you can always use two foot lancers in case you ever are worried about archers but want to retain that WTA.

I'm going to assume the same applies for all other DLC characters.  If that is the case, then that opens up a lot of different possibilities for challenge runs.

One recommendation I have is for a potential challenge run, you either always have the protagonist pair up with someone so he/she effectively does not exist except for in stat boosts, or you play through the game first on easy with just the protagonist and whoever else you don't intend to use, then go through the story again with the characters you actually intend to use.  In case you don't remember, you actually can remove units from the deployment.  I might recommend the latter only because then you'll have access to all four deployment slots as well as Lunatic difficulty with all the units you intend to use at just level 1, but it'd all just depend on what you want to do.

Interesting but that sounds fairly time consuming haha.