I made a FE8 Tier List. Thoughts?

Let me know what you think of the tier list, I want to improve as an FE player.

I consider how good a unit is by how much babying they require to viable, and well...just how viable they are. Strong, Fast, High Mov, Slayer skill, etc.

Also new to the Boards. Don't rip me a new one

1-10:

Spoiler

551b018fa90666db125dd124a2334fee.png

11-20:

Spoiler

6a90203ca0ef43c90b7cad75782f3918.png

21-30:

Spoiler

f0e4a641f1dd67f300860c48f4faa991.png

31-33:

Spoiler

db8cca26e2e8ebde22bfcff234f1f9ea.png

Edited by Corncake

At a glance, I'd say this is a flagrant failure of FE8 Tiering 101 - not accounting for route. Second, there's no way in the seven hells Myrrh is right under Seth when she is only available for like 5 chapters, and only really shines in two of those.

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

At a glance, I'd say this is a flagrant failure of FE8 Tiering 101 - not accounting for route. Second, there's no way in the seven hells Myrrh is right under Seth when she is only available for like 5 chapters, and only really shines in two of those.

I see, good point. I'm still learning, so I guess I gotta check her out. My logic is that she's like Late Seth, where she can one-round any monster out of the box, even if she comes late. You could invest time in another unit or just use one that's already really good. I'm also considering CC. 

But now that I think about it, you're right..but I still think she's worth deploying.

Also yeah WHOOPS. My Bad. I just made this kinda quickly for fun, I didn't put too much thought into it

Edited by Corncake

39 minutes ago, Corncake said:

I see, good point. I'm still learning, so I guess I gotta check her out. My logic is that she's like Late Seth, where she can one-round any monster out of the box, even if she comes late. You could invest time in another unit or just use one that's already really good. I'm also considering CC. 

But now that I think about it, you're right..but I still think she's worth deploying.

Also yeah WHOOPS. My Bad. I just made this kinda quickly for fun, I didn't put too much thought into it

That doesn't mean very much when most monsters aren't very threatening, and second, she comes really late, in addition to being limited in uses. Also, her flying movement is more of a handicap, since she can't afford to be left in range of enemy archers, and unlike the pegasi and wyverns, she doesn't have the movement to preempt archers. As for Slayer, the issue is that all of the units that can get it need to promote first, and second, all of them except one can't fight before promotion.

2 hours ago, Corncake said:

Let me know what you think of the tier list, I want to improve as an FE player.

I consider how good a unit is by how much babying they require to viable, and well...just how viable they are. Strong, Fast, High Mov, Slayer skill, etc.

Also new to the Boards. Don't rip me a new one

1-10:

Reveal hidden contents

551b018fa90666db125dd124a2334fee.png

11-20:

Reveal hidden contents

6a90203ca0ef43c90b7cad75782f3918.png

21-30:

Reveal hidden contents

f0e4a641f1dd67f300860c48f4faa991.png

31-33:

Reveal hidden contents

db8cca26e2e8ebde22bfcff234f1f9ea.png

A few units (Vanessa, Franz, Saleh, Garcia to name a few) are way underrated and others (Tana, Natasha, Myrrh) are way overrated. Overall, though, it's not terrible tier list, I just think you're missing a couple of important things here and there about character quality.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Not a bad list. However, it's best if you specify the difficulty and route this is taking place on, because it usually affects how a character stacks up (stats and availability). As for your rankings of characters, it's not bad, but usually people do it like Top>High>Mid>Low>Bottom. As for the characters themselves:

• Myrhh is way too high, IMO. She's available for a short time and can only really be used 50 times. Her stats and niche as a unit are great, but her limitations weigh her down too much.
  • Although I vastly prefer Tana over Vanessa, Vanessa is generally ranked higher because she comes earlier, and is really helpful in reaching villages and civilians before danger comes. 
  • I would put Franz a lot higher. I know he's already in a high position, but Franz can be higher. He's that good.
  • I would put Garcia and Neimi higher. He comes early and with an ax, only one of 2 axe users you get early on. While Neimi is the same, but with bows.
  • I would put Amelia and Ewan down, right next to Marisa. They come too late with a lot of babying. At least Ross comes within the first few chapters.

Echoing what everyone else already said.

Adding that I think Moulder should be tiered above Natasha.

Healers are always viable--Natasha doesn't need to drop too low. But Moulder's already going to be ahead of her on EXP by the time she join. Shes going to be slow to catch-up. And whereas Moulder's level-ups and promotion actually give him a fair-bit of tanking bulk and front-line staying power alongside his staff utility, Natasha is squishy and stays squishy.

He's just an all-around better unit.  

49 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Echoing what everyone else already said.

Adding that I think Moulder should be tiered above Natasha.

Healers are always viable--Natasha doesn't need to drop too low. But Moulder's already going to be ahead of her on EXP by the time she join. Shes going to be slow to catch-up. And whereas Moulder's level-ups and promotion actually give him a fair-bit of tanking bulk and front-line staying power alongside his staff utility, Natasha is squishy and stays squishy.

He's just an all-around better unit.  

I'm not disputing most of this, but I do take issue with the bold, because his nonexistent luck means he faces crit chances, and he's not durable enough to make up for it. And before you play the Hoplon Guard card, I'll cut that off by stating that it doesn't come along until late in the game.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Not gonna sugar coat anything here. Your tier list is absolutely terrible, and it shows that you lack knowledge and experience with this game.

Check out some LTC playthroughs and some drafts of this game. You can learn a lot.

I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna play though the games with the units I haven't used, to see what they can offer. I now I see put some of the Bishops, trainees (and definitely myrrh) too high and Franz, Vanessa, Dussel & Saleh too low. As well as Garcia and Neimi, I get that sub-30 is pretty bad, but they're still terrible. But, I now see they're better than the trainees; less babying.

I know it's wrong, but my logic for Myrrh was while every other unit in the game needs investment; Myrrh only needs a handful of Gorgon eggs and she can destroy any monster. I know she joins dumb late, but my logic is she's better than 95% of units in the game by that point. Obviously, units like Seth and Franz are better generally; but not at the point Myrrh Joins onward, even if she needs a tad babying...but I guess you could use a Sacred Twin weapon. She's not #2, but I think she's still worth deploying. I wonder what you guys think of Athos? 

I put every possible Bishop really high cause times 3 damage to everything is pretty good. Then I put the fliers, then the mounted units below that. I also do grind the healers and Tethys up 'till Lv.20 asap, so I probably don't know their flaws as good. (at least I don't use Valni?)

What exactly should I REALLY understand? 

Edited by Corncake

20 minutes ago, Corncake said:

I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna play though the games with the units I haven't used, to see what they can offer. I now I see put some of the Bishops, trainees (and definitely myrrh) too high and Franz, Vanessa, Dussel & Saleh too low. As well as Garcia and Neimi, I get that sub-30 is pretty bad, but they're still terrible. But, I now see they're better than the trainees; less babying.

I know it's wrong, but my logic for Myrrh was while every other unit in the game needs investment; Myrrh only needs a handful of Gorgon eggs and she can destroy any monster. I know she joins dumb late, but my logic is she's better than 95% of units in the game by that point. Obviously, units like Seth and Franz are better generally; but not at the point Myrrh Joins onward, even if she needs a tad babying...but I guess you could use a Sacred Twin weapon. She's not #2, but I think she's still worth deploying. I wonder what you guys think of Athos? 

I put every possible Bishop really high cause times 3 damage to everything is pretty good. Then I put the fliers, then the mounted units below that. I also do grind the healers and Tethys up 'till Lv.20 asap, so I probably don't know their flaws as good. (at least I don't use Valni?)

The problem is, Myrrh has 5 movement, meaning that she's not likely to get to any Gorgon eggs before your horses get to and destroy them.

And that's wrong because that effective damage bonus only kicks in for like 2, maybe 3 chapters. Humans are still the majority of enemies in SS, after all...

The problem is, Myrrh has 5 movement, meaning that she's not likely to get to any Gorgon eggs before your horses get to and destroy them.

And that's wrong because that effective damage bonus only kicks in for like 2, maybe 3 chapters. Humans are still the majority of enemies in SS, after all...

Myrrh has 6, but I guess that doesn't matter much. Yes, she does get it slower than the others but she can still One-Round them to get EXP. I guess the last few chapters shouldn't have any more unit investment and more about just killing..but she only needs 3 or 4 eggs to be on par with the other units; at least in raw power. The only Snipers Myrrh-onward are the Snipers in Chp 23, and only in the top corridor. 

And you're right, damage bonus doesn't matter as much as I thought. I was also thinking too much about the end-game and not as much the "all-game". Thanks for the advice

Edited by Corncake

7 minutes ago, Corncake said:

Myrrh has 6, but I guess that doesn't matter much. Yes, she does get it slower than the others but she can still One-Round them to get EXP. I guess the last few chapters shouldn't have any more unit investment and more about just killing..but she only needs 3 or 4 eggs to be on par with the other units; at least in raw power. The only Snipers Myrrh-onward are the Snipers in Chp 23, and only in the top corridor. 

And you're right, damage bonus doesn't matter as much as I thought. I was also thinking too much about the end-game and not as much the "all-game". Thanks for the advice

And some Rangers that try to barge in from the bottom of the map where Riev is. Also, that's chapter 19. On top of that, anyone can use Gorgon eggs for a big boost - this isn't some Myrrh-exclusive factor.

2 hours ago, Corncake said:

You aren't considering the cumulative contribution and instead you only think about what a unit does in a vacuum. Yes, in a vacuum Myrrh can do a lot of damage and is useful after she joins, but Franz has had nearly 20 chapters of contributing prior to Myrrh doing a single thing in the game. In other words, there are a number of chapters where Myrrh is totally unviable because you can't deploy her at all - how can she be so far ahead of a unit like Franz that joined in chapter 2 and has been doing stuff for the entire game?

I dunno how much we scale in relatively difficulty but I've always thought Last Hope was by far the trickiest of the endgame fights, and it's one where Myrrh is hardly useful at all because she doesn't hit weakness + defences aren't good enough to ward off silver weapons, especially the bows present in both major trouble spots of the map. That makes it hard for me to rate her particularly high. Sure, she can carve through trash in Darkling Woods and has good damage against dracozombies and cyclopes (but so does everyone else with a sacred twin).

Myyrh also has zero business being above Ephraim and Eirika. Like her, they also provide you with a free monster-slayer for the lategame. Unlike her, said weapons are still really strong even against humans, and they have better statlines. And horses. And can contribute before the lategame.

Good Advice. Don't worry guys, I GET the point that Myrrh is stupid high, I see all your points.

I may make a new tier list, but after some weeks and after I research a bit more and just kinda...get good? Myrrh is between Gilliam and Rennac (#23), And top 5 is Seth, Vanessa, Tethys, Franz and Gerik in that order. Tana & Cormag are right below them and most pre-promotes (Saleh, Duessel) are a bit below Ephraim.

Garcia, Niemi and Marisa are right above the last two bottoms; Amelia and Ewan; so I don't know if they still belong there?

I don't wanna spam this Topic, but I just want some last advice so I can make this better.

Am I really the only one here who's bothered by the fact that this list fails to take route into account? Because some units, mainly Gerik and Cormag, are obviously better on one route than on the other. Speaking of which, I'm not sure that he or Tethys should be as high as they are because they miss half the game on their better route...