Nintendo Direct Mini 2018-01-11

Thane

Hello everyone.

I've seen a lot of buzz recently in regards to the possibility of a Nintendo Direct. While I don't know of any specific rumors or conspiracy theories, I seem to remember there being several Nintendo directs in January these last few years, especially in regards to Fire Emblem.

So, what do you think they'll show us, and when?

I should mention Nintendo recently posted this: 

And in the background, on the teal board, you can read "NEW FE". Since the game is set to release in 2018 if the initial announcement of it being in development is to be believed, I wouldn't be surprised if we got some news about it whenever Nintendo decided to have their next Direct. Maybe a teaser at least.

Edit: so Nintendo threw a curveball at us and uploaded this video without any concrete warning.

Edited by Thane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that EA is releasing a game called "Fe" gives me the bad feeling that Fire Emblem won't be here, and it's a huge tease.

Which is weird, because prior to this, I was certain that Fire Emblem would be there.

We're likely seeing some news on FE Switch. We'll also likely see new stuff on Yoshi, Kirby, Octopath, a couple of unannounced 3DS games, Pikmin 4 (assuming it's still alive). I'm also expecting a port of another Wii U game. I'd also like to see a short tease on the new story DLC for Xenoblade 2 set to release in Fall. Or at the very least, the Challenge Mode and new Rare Blade they teased back in November. We know DLC content for Xenoblade is planned throughout 2018 but right now it's just new items and stuff.

And remember folks

DSmWrBtVQAI_8rj.jpg

Step 6: Bonus if Smash 5/Switch wasn't announced

20 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The fact that EA is releasing a game called "Fe" gives me the bad feeling that Fire Emblem won't be here, and it's a huge tease.

I don't see what that would be an issue. I don't know why Nintendo would prioritize a third party game over a game from their own IP, an IP they consider to be A-tier.

Besides, Nintendo doesn't usually refer to Fire Emblem as "FE". 

Edit: @LucarioGamer812 Thane was making a joke about overanalyzing Nintendo's tweet for hints of a Direct.

Edited by Armagon

So there's a cute trend that every Fire Emblem, including spinoffs, has been first teased at a January Direct, dating all the way to 2013 with Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. If we don't see FE Switch this month that will...still technically be a true statement about Fire Emblem announcements, but a big surprise considering it's been a full year and we've had no concrete word on the game. So I think FE Switch is a lock. Another safety bet is Kirby Star Allies. I'm expecting this to be the first first party release of the year, maybe as early as February, no later than April. 

I'm predicting a big indie showcase. Since a lot of developers have been jumping onboard late last year now that they see how much better their types of games have been selling on Switch compared to PS4/Xbox One/Steam. Also probably gameplay of No More Heroes. They'll remind us of the Bayonetta 1+2 port slated for mid February but probably not be able to tell us anything about Bayonetta 3 at this time. A reminder of Wolfenstein with perhaps the promise of another Bethesda published game like Dishonored or Fallout 4. And the last third party offering I might expect is details on Mega Man legacy collections arriving on Switch, plus any other games Capcom is hoping to port over like Resident Evil, MvC, Street Fighter, etc.

As for new first party announcements, I think anything is possible, but it's best to keep expectations low. The only prediction I feel kind of strong about is a successor to Super Mario Maker. Dunno if they'll call it 2, Deluxe, or whatever. But that's the Wii U premiere app - the most deserving of another chance. And my second most confident prediction is spilling the details on the Online subscription service, as well as Virtual Console. Anything else from Metroid to Pokemon to Retro Studios' game, to some other franchise revival is a big Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Which is weird, because prior to this, I was certain that Fire Emblem would be there.

Why's that? Do you verbally refer to Fire Emblem as "Fe"? Because I've never heard somebody call it that.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

We're likely seeing some news on FE Switch. We'll also likely see new stuff on Yoshi, Kirby, Octopath, a couple of unannounced 3DS games, Pikmin 4 (assuming it's still alive). I'm also expecting a port of another Wii U game. I'd also like to see a short tease on the new story DLC for Xenoblade 2 set to release in Fall. Or at the very least, the Challenge Mode and new Rare Blade they teased back in November. We know DLC content for Xenoblade is planned throughout 2018 but right now it's just new items and stuff.

And remember folks

DSmWrBtVQAI_8rj.jpg

Step 6: Bonus if Smash 5/Switch wasn't announced

I don't see what that would be an issue. I don't know why Nintendo would prioritize a third party game over a game from their own IP, an IP they consider to be A-tier.

Edit: @LucarioGamer812 Thane was making a joke about overanalyzing Nintendo's tweet for hints of a Direct.

Oh, I actually thought it could mean something since he pointed it out, Oh well just the usually overhoping for stuff getting teased.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Why's that? Do you verbally refer to Fire Emblem as "Fe"? Because I've never heard somebody call it that.

Because the leaks last month showed that EA would be showing off Fe in this direct, so we know that there IS going to be a "Fe", but it's not going to be our "FE".

That, combined with the fact that Nintendo doesn't usually ever refer to Fire Emblem as "FE"(TMS being the only example I can think of where Fire Emblem is referred to as "FE"), gives me the feeling that the "FE" hidden in the image might not mean "Fire Emblem".

As to why this means Fire Emblem couldn't ALSO be shown is just a feeling I have. The tease of an "FE" and having it refer to two different things seems like an odd choice for Nintendo.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Because the leaks last month showed that EA would be showing off Fe in this direct, so we know that there IS going to be a "Fe", but it's not going to be our "FE".

Iirc, those leaks specifically involved EA. Didn't that leak only list like 5 or 6 games? I doubt that's all that will be shown.

Just now, Armagon said:

Iirc, those leaks specifically involved EA. Didn't that leak only list like 5 or 6 games? I doubt that's all that will be shown.

That's not what I was saying.

Pokémon Switch/Detective Pikachu, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 stuff, indies, Wolfenstein 2, Kirby, Yoshi, maybe an update to Animal Crossing Pocket Camp/FE Heroes, Bayonetta 1+2, Paid Online details.

If Smash is shown off this year, it won't be until E3 at the earliest.

Most Likely:

Fire Emblem Switch

Kirby Star Allies 

Yoshi Switch 

Likely:

Project Octopath Traveler:(w/Official new name)

That Fe game

Bayonetta 1+2 even 3 if lucky

Some more 3rd party games

Possible:

Animal Crossing Switch

Pikmin 4

A new Switch 1st party Nintendo game

Pokemon(yeah unlikely but GF might surprise maybe)

Brief Nindi stuff

Probably not:

SMT V

Smash

Retros new IP

Metroid Prime 4

Pokemon(50/50 to me)

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

My predictions:

- Super Mario Odyssey DLC: The NoA Twitter tease probably refers to this. New worlds based on other Nintendo IPs, with Zelda and Splatoon in Wave 1.

- New trailer: Kirby: Star Allies

- New trailer: Yoshi

- Trailer of the FE Warriors Awakening DLC, showing off Tharja and Olivia footage.

- Details on paid online, as well as benefits for subscribers, like discounts and free games.

- Virtual Console confirmed for Switch. Details on prices and release dates, starting with NES, SNES, GB, GBC and GBA. N64 and (for the first time) Gamecube confirmed but coming at a later date.

- First Look: Fire Emblem Switch

- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo Switch. Expanded port of the Wii U version with extra features; Wii U levels and progress carries over for those who linked their old Nintendo Network accounts.

- Footage teaser: Metroid Prime 4.

- First look: EA's new game "Fe".

- New game: F-Zero Switch

- Indie trailer, showcasing several upcoming titles including a couple of new ones.

- Retro's game finally revealed. Predicting the third (and last) Donkey Kong game to complete the trilogy.

- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. Expanded port of the Wii U version, with all characters and stages from the Wii U version as well as most 3DS stages, DLC included. Extra content such as modes and characters, including Wolf and the Ice Climbers and newcomer Inkling. We think the trailer is over only to be greeted with the WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen again, followed by a 3rd party newcomer.

Only going to make predictions for stuff I actually care about.

Fire Emblem Switch will be shown.

Possible Bayonetta 3 footage. Since the first two are coming pretty early this year to Switch, it makes sense to release 3 later in the same year, so they would need to start showing it off.

Possible Metroid Prime 4 teaser. Probably not a full trailer, but at least a look at something more than a 4, and with a ballpark release date.

Smash Bros. on Switch...is a toss-up. It depends on a few different factors. If it's an enhanced port, this year will be a good year to release it, and they'd need to reveal it soon. Anything other than that and Smash probably won't show.

Pokemon games aren't usually revealed on general Nintendo directs...right? We know a game is coming, but nothing else, so GF will probably do something themselves like they did with the Sun/Moon reveal later.

Switch's online subscription features and virtual console (though I don't think it will be called "Virtual Console" anymore) will likely be shown/detailed/explained.

Honestly I am keeping my hopes down so that I will be happy with what is shown and not be mad.  FE Switch is hopefully going be shown.  Though that image makes me think it is something about a TMS#FE port for Switch.  I am hoping for info on the paid service because that is supposed to start soon at least from what they said before.  VC news would be great.  Bayonetta 3 trailer would be cool since that and SMT V are the two 3rd party games I want the most.  

Every major Switch title in 2017 was announced in the January Switch presentation so I think it will be a similar overview for 2018, though since this isn't the Switch's first year they might save some stuff for later. The Pokémon Company tends to do its own thing so I don't expect to see any Pokémon games announced, and any "big" games (like Prime 4) likely won't be released this year if they aren't in this direct.

Basically it'll be the Yoshi, Kirby, and Fire Emblem we already know about and a bunch of other things we don't know about, maybe Pikmin 4 if we're lucky and Miyamoto decides that nine years is too long to wait (again).

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I did not see that as I thought that was just a mario odyssey reference tweet.

What? Clearly, it's Henry singing. The CAW gives him away.

34 minutes ago, Florete said:

Smash Bros. on Switch...is a toss-up. It depends on a few different factors. If it's an enhanced port, this year will be a good year to release it, and they'd need to reveal it soon. Anything other than that and Smash probably won't show.

I'd almost dare to hope they might finally realize how many players want an official reboot of older Smash games if I weren't fairly certain Sakurai is trying to get all future Smash Bros. as far away from Melee as possible. I could see a Sm4sh Port being a thing, though a single JoyCon would be garbage for that so a bunch of people would probably get mad since there's like no chance they'll update the 3DS version to work as a controller. On the other hand, considering how they had to push the launch date for Sm4sh back, it's possible they may goof up again and give us a trailer for 5mash earlier than they should. Either way, it'd be nice to see, I guess, but I doubt it'll happen.

The last direct around this time announced SoV, January 18th. How a year flies. I'll put my bets around that time (not sure what day they are but that one was on a Wednesday, so I'll say the 17th, or the week after)

Edited by Tryhard

I'm hoping for FE Switch, anything on Pokemon Switch, and some word on the last Etrian Odyssey game on 3DS.

But like I said, I'm only hoping. The only one I expect to see is FE Switch, since it's been a year since it was announced, but I wouldn't be too shocked if it didn't show up. Hell, I thoroughly doubt there'll be anything on a new EO game, it just feels to soon to 5's launch to get any word in an English Direct. Maybe in the Jpn Direct, but that's about all I've got for that one.

I'll be happy with a trailer for FE Switch, or at least news on what its actual name will be.

Genuine Predictions:

- FE Switch

- Yoshi Switch

Non-Serious Predictions that Would be Nice If They Were Real:

- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Switch: a remake of Skyward Sword for Nintendo Switch that uses the Joy-Con motion controls in place of the Wii Remote Motion Controls. Included as a new feature is the option to choose, when starting a new game, for Link to be left-handed or right-handed; a choice that is reflected in the game controls. That way, left-handed and right-handed players can play the game with equal ease.

- Captain Toad: The Treasure Tracking Continues: a sequel to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Switch that includes almost 100 maps of varying size and new gameplay features.

Joke Predictions:

- Super Mario Illiad: a prequel game to Super Mario Odyssey, as well as a knockoff of both games: Super Mario Aeneid.

- Dark Souls Switch: a port of all three Dark Souls games for the Nintendo Switch

- Pokémon Forest and Desert: the 8th generation of Pokémon.

- A port of all three Dragon Age games for the Switch

- 1, 2, Switch: Resort

- Smash Bros. 5

Edited by vanguard333

What I want most are definitely these.

- FE Switch (it's practically given, as it was said to release this year and we still know zero about it other than that it exists)

- Super Mario Odyssey DLC featuring playable Luigi! This was even teased once when someone asked Nintendo in a tweet or something about why he wasn't in the game and the answer was "I hope you look forward to hearing more about that." It's a sin that Luigi didn't even appear as an NPC!

- Yoshi Switch, along with a proper name for it

- Paper Mario Switch announcement

- Pokemon Switch (not very likely though, given that Pokemon normally gets its own separate announcements/Directs)

- And if the Awakening DLC pack for FE Warriors has a Frederick costume (not including the broken armor model), I'll go for that, though that's not likely either since he isn't super popular. :/

- Smash, though that is also kind of unlikely.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Switch: a remake of Skyward Sword for Nintendo Switch that uses the Joy-Con motion controls in place of the Wii Remote Motion Controls. Included as a new feature is the option to choose, when starting a new game, for Link to be left-handed or right-handed; a choice that is reflected in the game controls. That way, left-handed and right-handed players can play the game with equal ease.

@vanguard333 This would be awesome too! SS is my favorite Zelda.

Edited by Anacybele

13 minutes ago, Thane said:

Nintendo of America just posted this:

Yes, there's no text. Just someone on Fire. 

That's a character from his own game though. I forget his name. But definitely not an FE reference.