Nintendo Direct Mini 2018-01-11

Thane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

This is a possibility I wanted to bring up in my previous post but also wanted to do more research on before sounding too speculative.

Most "Mini" or "Micro Directs" usually share a month with a larger Direct. But Direct Minis themselves have not been the norm since 2013 and earlier, so I didn't want to bring that up as reliable precedent. 

It has indeed been a long while since the last Nintendo Direct in a Mini/Micro format, and I think it is a good observation to point out that they never actually serve as a major type of presentation that Nintendo regularly holds every few months. In other words, it would be correct to say that what was shown today does not appear to be that, and it is still due to happen.

Edited by Prince of Iris

5 minutes ago, Talandar said:

For Nintendo the Wii U has never existed. Can't blame them, can we?

Just a couple more ports and the Wii U joins the ranks of the most obselete consoles of all time.

It's like, what? Wonderful 101, TMS, Pikmin 3, SSB4 and Super Mario 3D World that's left for major Nintendo games on the Wii U?

Maybe stretch it and say Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD, which I am sure will get ported over during a Zelda lull.

41 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Most "Mini" or "Micro Directs" usually share a month with a larger Direct. But Direct Minis themselves have not been the norm since 2013 and earlier, so I didn't want to bring that up as reliable precedent. 

While the case was a bit different, something similar did happen right before E3. We got the Pokemon Direct that showed off Pokken Tournament DX and USUM about a week before the E3 Direct.

Edit: @Slumber Adding to that list, Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade X. I feel like Super Mario Maker has a really high chance of getting a Switch port.

Edited by Armagon

24 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's like, what? Wonderful 101, TMS, Pikmin 3, SSB4 and Super Mario 3D World that's left for major Nintendo games on the Wii U?

Maybe stretch it and say Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD, which I am sure will get ported over during a Zelda lull.

Star Fox Zero (hey I know it's not great, but it's first party), Captain Toad, Splatoon 1, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the big one Super Mario Maker. Plus others like Mario Tennis and New Super Mario Bros U where they're the contractually obligated "one for each system" title. 

The Wii U ports we got and are getting make sense due to their lack of gamepad functionality. The only remaining games that wouldn't need any retweaking for a port are Smash and 3D World I think. I never played Wonderful 101 to know what gamepad stuff exists.

As far as Wii U games go, there’s also Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Nintendoland. For the latter, they could release each mini game as a separate entry on Switch. It’ll surely allow them to fill several weeks. 

I don't think the Wii U Mario Tennis will be ported, since a) it was poorly received (and rightfully so), and b) they've already announced a new Mario Tennis which can effectively replace it. There's not really anything for them to gain by releasing the Wii U one again.

But yeah, it's safe to say you are indeed seeing their plan in motion.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I see. And i'm guessing that, like most JRPG series, it doesn't really matter which Ys game i start with, right?

The Ys games are all interconnected with each other but loosely, and have been around since pretty much when Link was first created. It isn't really a JRPG its more like a heavy action style type of game with adventure, think The Legend of Zelda if all the puzzles were replaced with tons of combat and really fun boss fights. (Not 100% accurate but thats a good comparison). The main character Adol Christin basically has tons of adventures that don't particularly relate to one another and he travels a lot, so the only reoccurring things tend to be people he meets or potential events referenced.

You can jump into any of them, although if Trails/Kiseki gets ported to switch and you ask about those, thats about 9 games worth of connected continuity and can't be approached the same way.

General rule of thumb is that Falcom is awesome and its good to see them on Ninty even if its just Ys 8.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

The only remaining games that wouldn't need any retweaking for a port are Smash and 3D World I think.

They could port XCX, the gamepad is used for the map, but that is mostly a utilitarian bonus putting it on the gamepad. Other open world games are fine without a second screen, it just means a little more pausing for menu stuff.

I remember I enjoyed TWEWY when it first came out. I haven't played it in a long time, and while I would like to redo the story with fresh eyes from scratch, I'd have to delete the file I put a lot of work into to do that, and I don't want to. I'd probably be better at the gameplay now, but the characters and plot I'd probably criticize more. I would certainly frown on Shiki's awful design much more, but I don't know whether my old Hanekoma and Joshua likings would endure.

4 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

"Must... fight... emo urges..."
Is that bad it's the main thing I remember about that game ?

Another Day was a fine parody and break from all the seriousness of the main plot (well the Superboss building was still a bit serious, but the rest wasn't). I still recall the... what was it? Blue and some other color (aka Neku and Joshua) going together like that :wub: quip. 

The ability replay any individual day freely once you beat the game was a great feature of it, and the Secret Reports you could collect were neat, if a little esoteric jargon filled.

Honestly, I'm still feeling a Fire Emblem Direct, starting with Switch ports of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (weren't Radiant Dawn HD assets found somewhere?) and then the reveal of Fire Emblem Switch.

It's a best case scenario for sure, but I'm feeling positive. This mini Direct felt like it was mostly just touching on ports and updates so that they could clear the way for bigger titles later.

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

Honestly, I'm still feeling a Fire Emblem Direct, starting with Switch ports of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (weren't Radiant Dawn HD assets found somewhere?) and then the reveal of Fire Emblem Switch.

It's a best case scenario for sure, but I'm feeling positive. This mini Direct felt like it was mostly just touching on ports and updates so that they could clear the way for bigger titles later.

I still personally think Switch ports of the Tellius duo are pipedreams myself, but we'll see.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I still personally think Switch ports of the Tellius duo are pipedreams myself, but we'll see.

I've got zero proof backing it up, so you might be right. However, we're seeing a lot of ports (and no news of the Virtual Console), so who knows. I wouldn't have expected a The World Ends With You port, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

I've got zero proof backing it up, so you might be right. However, we're seeing a lot of ports (and no news of the Virtual Console), so who knows. I wouldn't have expected a The World Ends With You port, that's for sure.

And I certainly didn't expect a Ys 8 port to Switch considering Falcom hasn't been on Nintendo in ages. 

So we'll definitely see, I expect just FESwitch, info on the SD DLC for Warriors and maybe an announcement of Binding Blade Echoes for FE. Mostly just the first though.

Spoiler

For anyone not familiar with Ys, but found the trailer for VIII good: Ys VIII is the most recent title of the series, which is not a remake of an older game. The series has been around for even longer than Final Fantasy, thus it could be called the Godfather of JRPG. There has been lots of remakes troughout the years, but in my opinion all of them turned out to be good. If you want to jump into the series, you can easily do it on PC, where every game is available (steam/gog) except Memories of Celceta, the remake of the original Ys IV (it only had a PC release in China). Starting with Ys VIII is not a bad idea, it should be even ecouraged, since it is the most recent one, thus probably the easiest to get into (also, the games don't really connect with one another, except for a few reference... the only ones you shoudln't mix up is I, II, and Origins, which should be played in this order, to learn the most about the story). If anyone want to learn more about the world of Ys, I will leave a link here to the (probably) best Ys fansite, where you can get reccomendations of the order to play the games, and other related stuff. I can really just recommend this series, it is probably my other favourite next to Fire Emblem :) (also, sorry for the novel, I really should learn how to not write this much....)

edit: it should be called godfather instead of father, since it might save people from having the wrong idea

TL;DR :  Here you can learn more about Ys: http://www.digitalemelas.com/index.php

Edited by coldhand25

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

So we'll definitely see, I expect just FESwitch, info on the SD DLC for Warriors and maybe an announcement of Binding Blade Echoes for FE. Mostly just the first though.

To be honest, that's the most important part. 

Not going to lie, while I didn't believe the "leaks" for a second, the way they introduced Dark Souls Remastered had me thinking they were going to reveal Gothic Emblem.

6 minutes ago, coldhand25 said:
  Hide contents

For anyone not familiar with Ys, but found the trailer for VIII good: Ys VIII is the most recent title of the series, which is not a remake of an older game. The series has been around for even longer than Final Fantasy, thus it could be called the Father of JRPG. 

Whoa, that's a bold statement. The father of JRPG is Dungeons and Dragons. Or when sticking strictly to video games, Ultima. JRPGs are just the Japanese response to western CRPGs that tried to adapt tabeletop games. It's also odd to point to Ys 1 as the father of JRPGs when it doesn't have turn based combat, character creation, or menus you select abilities from. 

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Whoa, that's a bold statement. The father of JRPG is Dungeons and Dragons. Or when sticking strictly to video games, Ultima. JRPGs are just the Japanese response to western CRPGs that tried to adapt tabeletop games. It's also odd to point to Ys 1 as the father of JRPGs when it doesn't have turn based combat, character creation, or menus you select abilities from. 

I'd say its more the father of Action RPGs.

3 hours ago, Prince of Iris said:

I think there's a small misunderstanding here, so I'd like to try and clear it up to ensure that we can all be on the same page about it.

It's true that I've been talking about FE Switch lately, but the specific idea that it will have its own separate Direct is not something I've been trying to hint at, or that there is a new FE Direct coming.

More news will be coming from Nintendo in the next few days in the form of another Nintendo Direct, and it should include the new Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch.

Do you have an idea of when the Direct might occur?

Alright, let me hop in on this on-going discussion that I haven't really read much into.

Lots of stuff I just don't know anything about...

I might see about getting Kirb.  I've barely played much in that series, but it's some good fun.

Hyrule Warriors... of course this has the idiots at GameFAQs proclaiming that this dooms FEW and a bunch of other nonsensical drivel along those lines.  I just feel burned that I went and bought the Wii U version a while back.  I don't know if I really want to go back to Uncle Nando's Wild Ride of giant bosses.  I think I'll just stick with FEW, and hope the sequel to HW is better for me.

Mario getting a tennis game, huh?  I played the N64 game and Power Tennis on the GameCube, and that's about it.  Honestly, the Mario sports games are good fun, but such games are kind of past me now as I don't really play multiplayer all that much anymore.

People blowing up about Weegee being a side show in Mario Odyssey...  I don't think I ever had any expectations of Luigi being a playable variant of Mario, at least not in this game.  And I actually like the nervous bastard.

Dong in the Rabbids?  Is he quick and nimble, and quick, and nimble, and quick, and nimble?  Maybe I should go and pick that game up at some point.  Not necessarily because of DK, but just because X-Com Mario is actually kind of cool.

For something that was titled "Nintendo Direct Mini", that was probably more than I expected.  But I preemptively set my expectations low, so I'm not particularly perturbed by the lack of FE Switch.  Will probably get info later in the month.

58 minutes ago, Thane said:

Wait, WHAT. Where did you hear about any RD HD assets, Thane? I wanna know! I'm not getting my hopes up that these ports will become real, but man that would be so awesome! It'd just be too bad that they wouldn't be full remakes that would add the cut PoR supports and Amiibo support and stuff. Or maybe they would add a few little things like the other ports are, with Amiibo function being one of them. Gimme that Ike x Elincia ending too, plz. Who knows?

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, the point is, it is said to be the father of JRPGs, since it was released before Final Fantasy, which became the first huge japanese RPG, that went worldwide, creating the genre which we know today (turn-based combat and stuff). If Ys could've had the same success, it could've potentially created the JRPG genre, since it was non-existent before afaik (which means there were no rules to follow when creating one). I didn't meant any offense, and I am a big fan of Final Fantasy, and JRPGs in general as well. Tbh, I as well tought JRPG must have turn-based combat, ability/magic menu, multiple character controlling in battles, until I learned about Ys and - since it is a japanese RPG - it also should count as a JRPG, and if it indeed was the first one, it could be called the father of JRPGs, but not the JRPG genre we know today. (I know I've repeated myself sometimes here, please excuse it if possible, english is not my mother tongue, so sometimes it gets tricky for me to express what I want to say)

Edit: maybe saying father is a bit misleading, I should probably go with the word digitalemelas used, and call it godfather instead, it might not give people the wrong idea

Edited by coldhand25

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, WHAT. Where did you hear about any RD HD assets, Thane? I wanna know! I'm not getting my hopes up that these ports will become real, but man that would be so awesome! It'd just be too bad that they wouldn't be full remakes that would add the cut PoR supports and Amiibo support and stuff. Or maybe they would add a few little things like the other ports are, with Amiibo function being one of them. Gimme that Ike x Elincia ending too, plz. Who knows?

As far as I know just in heroes with Micaiah and Sothe among others which their trailer is up.

Anyways I honestly was dissapointed with this despite it being a mini. But I'll state my part: So DLC/update content for Pokken, Odyssey, and Mario+Rabbids. I still need to pick up two of those but good seeing them getting support. Also kinda interested in that Y's JRPG. Final point of interest is Dark Souls getting a switch version. I honestly won't get it as not my game but I have a friend who is dedicated to Dark Souls and if/when he gets a switch it'll be his first game.

I do hope there is another actual direct soonish (within 2 months) that'll give us information on FE Switch and I personally want to know what Xenoblade 2's dlc is going to have as I've been speculating about it. I guess news on Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch for those who are interested (I'll be very interested in Pokemon Switch if it's revealed to be a gen 4 remake and especially if it's Platinum)