Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

"Barry, you are far oversimplifying the debate. Engel is intangible, but blesses people with tangible things, like food, shelter, family, and even friends. These things are seen as good in the eyes of many. Belial is, according to some, tangible, but deals in the intangible, like knowledge, wealth, and the ability to conjure the souls of the damned. Those are seen as evil in the eyes of the powerful, and the masses cannot protest this, lest they risk death. As for the other part of the triangle, it is those who are tangible and only believe in such. These are the godless, who range from being indifferent to either Engel or Belial, to being liable to only focus on the here and now, to killing anyone who believes in anything. Those last ones make up the Southern Tribes most of the time, and the first mostly everyone here, including you both, and Hiero." The rain sounded like stones hitting glass on Astaroth's helmet, but he never minded it before, and he certainly didn't now. His gambeson, though soaking outside, was thick enough that he himself wasn't wet. The same could not be said of his associates, especially not Barry and Paul.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rain. It certainly didn't bother Sylvia overly much... having grown used to the frothy spray of an, at times, enraged sea left rainfall feeling rather tepid in comparison, and the leather she wore was better than most fabric at keeping the water from soaking her skin particularly thoroughly. That aside, the others were making a few good points on the matter... namely that if they didn't camp well, a day's worth of rain would be more than a mite unpleasant... wet skin and clothing to accompany a cold night's air, and utter hell to try and build, let alone maintain a fire... the prospects weren't exactly pleasant. They had been travelling for days now over featureless plains, having not made much progress at all if you chose to measure it in differing scenery.

"Well, it's still early. We can afford to keep moving a bit longer, I'd think. Iffin' it looks like the ground is gettin' too soft, we can stop tryin' t'press on for a time. Tryin' t'camp on the plains durin' a rain storm is never gonna be pleasant, so we may as well see iffin' we can't find a better option down the road. Even some tree cover would do a world a'good, if nothin' else." Sylvia noted, as discussion seemed to be turning towards how to proceed. Taking a swig of grog, Sylvia replaced her bottle afterwards. What a miserable start to a day.

The points made about dragging the wagon out of the mud were good consideration. She hadn't thought the plains would become so wet and murky, but Naiman would know better than her. "If things become too drenched, we'll stop and make some proper camp, of course. Let us hope that we find anything to help with that, as we pass through." The haze in the distance, as well as how barren the plains were, it would be hard to find much at all. Even just one tree would be enough to create some sort of fire under, to get warm and dry.

Cass smiled at Alain's observation, his noticing making her apparently happier. "Well, this isn't that bad. It's quite warm, more like a pleasant wash than an unfortunate downpour... And I had a nice conversation with some of our new friends," she stole a quick glance at Naiman, "so my outlook is rather positive. I'm sure we'll find what we're looking for... And if not, we'll make do, either way. Aurelio's lived out here this long, he can manage one more night. Rain isn't about to take him, or any of us out. You especially have been through far worse, sir Duhamel." Making light of his brushes with death was probably not the nicest thing to do, but with how close he'd come, and so often, it almost seemed comical. Almost.

"If anything, as long as I have what's left of this tome on me, we can always start a fire... Just need to make it out of the rain."

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had taken Belial's lack of communication as just matter of course, and was secretly beginning to wonder if the magic man of the party had conjured up the initial arrow to begin with. She still didn't quite know what to make of him, and how this ended up panning out would probably give a hefty nudge in one direction or the other. At least he saw reason when it was pointed out, and got the group started moving downward from the hilltop.

"I suppose you're right, and perhaps we even send someone ranging ahead, to turn back and warn us when they see the way beginning to get more treacherous. Someone with their own mount would likely move faster alone than these horses pulling along everything else." Nodding, she willingly accepted the privateer's offered correction. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had perhaps been overcautious, and hasty to air her concerns as if they were the final word on the matter.

Sandy's self-assurance was a mite irksome, but it probably was meant well enough. Still, "Starting the fire might be all well and good, but that doesn't guarantee we can keep it going. Still, it is much better than no fire at all, and if your tome and your energies last long enough to dry out sufficient fuel to where it's self-maintaining, even better. But yes, finding that initial cover is the order of the day, isn't it? Let us be off."

She followed after Alain then, presumably with the other two women close behind. While passing by Astaroth and his lackeys, she was a bit disgruntled to hear they were still engaged in fruitless navel gazing over the nature of non-existent deities and their possible allegiances. Rolling her eyes, she chimed in with a sarcastic "Why stop at just a triangle. Mightn't it be a full circle?"

Devil's Entrance

Both Barry and Paul were completely stumped by their leader's explanation, even the less dim brother hadn't caught a word of it. "See, that's why he's in charge, Barry. He thinks about the questions that we don't even ask." Paul added, nodding his head in supposed agreement. "If all the answers were so easy, people wouldn't have to think about it so long. It's why I do all the thinking for you, that way you have more time do things."

"That's very kind, Paul. I don't know how much time I'd spend thinking about things." Barry replied, scratching his chin as he looked across the rainy hills. "I once had to decide what I wanted for dinner, by the time I decided it was breakfast already."

Uuliinyagaantsetseg stood by Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, the rain dripping down her amazonian body. She hadn't been dressed for the weather, her leather garb poorly suited for heavy rain. "Chief, this faith these people have in the beyond does not fill me with confidence. Father Sky appears to have decided to bring his rivers to the land, his spears would be a battle we should not face." she replied, gripping her spear. "It is unusual for flooding at this time of year, the spring floods should have passed many moons ago. To see such waters and with such fury... nature alone could not bring this to us."

The talks of continuing had left them with very few options, water was starting to gather at the bottom of the hills in large pools. The wagon's wheels were already partially sunken into the muddy ground and the pellets of rain were hammering its fabric roof. Aurelio opened his mouth, ready to complain again about their situation, but his fury was dampened by the rain, turning into a reluctant patience. "Rain ain't gonna kill me too quickly, but I'm not keen on giving it a chance." he replied, trying to usher the wagon forward. "If the guy in the sky's deciding he wants to piss on us, let's just hope your friend Belial feels like playing too."

"Such willing playthings, I'm rather touched that you trust me so much. Drowning would deliver you much faster to me... but I feel like rewarding you."

The dark message only seemed to touch the ears of Cass and Alain, their connection to Belial perhaps their bridge to his words. Graham shivered, looking around timidly in confusion.

"Come to meet your fellow worshipers, you are united by your devotion to me. You may be in for a pleasant surprise."

It hadn't been exactly clear before, but there was an opening at the base of the hill ahead of them. The rain parted gently ahead of them, leaving a relatively dry path towards it. It wasn't exactly clear, but to Belial's loyal subjects, there was an almost tempting pull towards it.

Hiero had a wide smile on his face from the rain. He had always loved it. Maybe it’s because it was like him, escaping the thing that held them back, similar to what happened to him in his life. Either that or he loved the feel of it on his face. Anyways, he loved the rain. So, that was why he was walking with Michalis next to the wagon. He could tell Aurileo was furious with the rain, which made Hiero smile even more. The bickering Barry and Paul had reminded him of when he had to cordinate the two to pack the tents correctly. Those two knuckle heads, thought Hiero. At the mention of his name, Hiero perked up, but then perked down when he realized Astaroth was just saying he was an atheist. “Anyways,” Hiero said, looking at Alain. “I would assume you know where you voodoo brothers are?” Hiero said, seeming to make a joke at worshipers of Belial.

"Don't worry about my ability to keep a spell going. Fire is simple enough that I'm confident I could conjure one for an hour at the least. Plenty of time to dry whatever we would need out... Still, your concern is appreciated, and you're quite right. We need to find a place to--"

Cass was cut off by the sinister voice that suddenly ran itself through her ears. She'd frozen in place, looking to Alain first, then to everyone else... Had they heard this? Had he? No, he must've, but what... Cass gulped. She had to admit, this Engel Belial nonsense wasn't quite her forte, she'd never truly believed in either past them being some blind faith that was tossed around, and yet... You're... Y-You're real? It could've been some practitioner playing tricks on the group from afar, but the timing of things was simply too perfect for that.

The rain parted slightly and a small opening revealed itself... A way out of the rain and to dry safety. But, what was contained within? Looking over at Alain once more, he seemed rather confident all of a sudden. "Did you...?" she asked, just above a whisper. Coughing a bit to clear her throat, still shivering, despite the warmth of the rain, Cass nodded. "Right, a-a way forward. Looks like we're in luck, or perhaps, finally where that arrow had intended... If so, these are your friends, Alain. You first."

"If it's all the same to you, Princess Cassandra, I will take up the rear. Besides, I would see if we were followed. You never know... right?" In reality, the reasons for Astaroth wanting to stay in the back were mostly selfish. He had no real desire to meet other followers of the old devil, but he was willing to learn whether they were more like Alain, or if they were like what he thought they might be: dirty hermits mumbling about with an army of damned souls serving their every whim. He looked at his saddlebag. As much as I want to get that out right now, the rain would destroy it, and this "illusion" would react quite adversely to it. For now, I just have to pray that my faith in him is not shaken. Astaroth observed the harness his horse was attached to. He kept in mind the place it was weakest, so that a well placed sword swing could release it, should it need to be freed from it.

"Hm? Did I what? You must be imagining things Cassandra," Alain remarked coolly, the faintest hint of a smile forming on his lips. She'd heard him no doubt--the demon who whispers in the hearts of all men. But for Alain, such words came as mere assurance rather than grand revelation. It wasn't that he trusted the demon, as Belial's words seemed to imply--rather he trusted the demon's desires. Even for all his power, he was an entity cast out--maligned by all and his followers marred just the same. It was a laughable state of affairs and surely even he sought some form of change?  

"Indeed, it seems the path has been laid out to us. Soon perhaps, the truth of my words will be brought to light," he said, his eyes shining with wicked delight. 

Now things were just getting weird... scratch that, they had already been weird... but now they were moving even further towards strange. First the mysterious arrow in the plains, and now, as Cassandra had pointed out, what appeared to be a parting in the rain clouds, leaving a dry stretch in front of them... well, relatively dry. The mud itself was still stirred into a bit of a mire, but it had not yet grown foul enough to waylay the wagon. Belial certainly seemed to place more stock in affirming his existence to the faithful than Engel ever had, at least insofar as Sylvia was aware. Or perhaps it was some other sort of trickery... Alain certainly seemed devious and cunning enough to pull of such a thing, and the privateer was unaware to what extent his magic could truly work... but it didn't matter much to her, whoever had ceased the rainfall was well and alright in her books.

"Belial sure seems to put more stock in bein' convenient than I've known most deity-types to do. Not that I'm gonna complain on that... we should take that openin' before he done decides that we're takin' too long."

The Garden of Evil

The opening to the cave was several feet wide and tall, a gentle warm glow radiating from inside of it as the group drew closer. The path was still slippery, easily a good few inches of mud for boots to sink into as they trudged towards it. Aurelio appeared to share the same observations as Sylvia, the man looking at the edge of their dry curtain curiously. There was a definite line that separated the torrential rain around them and the passageway they'd been granted by Belial. A dark robed man stood at the mouth of the cave, ushering them inside.

"Come, brothers and sisters... Lord Belial has told us that you would be joining us." he greeted eerily, his tones smooth and unsettling. He gestured for them to enter, his disturbing grin visible from underneath his hood. "Bring your allies, your supplies and your steeds... we can accommodate for all. Lord Belial casts away not those who seek the light, for he can still deliver them to his darkness. Come this way towards him."

The entrance corridor was dimly lit, the light flickering against the dirt walls. Whatever the set-up the Belialists had, it did not give off the air of being a permanent fixture. The tunnel's edges were freshly carved, with the occasional wooden beam supporting it at the edges. A musky scent tainted their path forwards, the odour getting stronger with every step. It was a mix between long settled dust and an earthy spice, with almost enough offense to make one's eyes water. There was a large holding area to the side, one that could be assumed to be a stable of sorts. The tunnel ahead twisted and split into multiple branches, perhaps signifying a complex network beneath the hill.

"Is this perhaps a popular form of decor among Belialists, Sir Duhamel?" Sebastian asked cheekily, his eyes focused on the cultist as they sealed the entrance with a large wooden barricade. "Your certainly do not appear to comply with their dressing convention."

Graham was also focused on the cultist, uncertain as to how much he could trust their host. The man turned slowly, grinning at the young noble and giving him a slow wave.

"Pardon my manners, I have not had a chance to introduce myself. It must be difficult to trust an individual with no name, even if they are a fellow brother, no?" he laughed, his laughter perhaps going on a second or two too long to be comfortable. "I am Raum, a humble servant of Belial. My Lord owns my heart and soul, his words fuel my mind... our elders were told of your coming by Lord Belial himself. Your hardships, your battles... you will be among brother and sisters whilst you reside here. Our elders would be delighted to meet you all, especially Sir Duhamel... and Princess Cassandra."

Soon... Things were getting ominous, even for Cass' standards, though she pressed forward all the same. Hearing Belial in her ears seemed to have set the tone for how things were going to go... This abode was as creepy and unwelcoming as she had expected, and this cultist, Raum... He certainly fit the stereotype for what one might presume an 'evil practitioner' to look like. Still...

"It's better than staying soaked, isn't it?" Hopefully the group agreed. The pungent smell assaulted her nose, but didn't elicit more than a sniffle. The stench of death was not something she was unbeknownst to, and this mixture only touched at that particular stink. It was almost welcoming, the floors becoming much drier and less coated in mud the further in. A little dim lit hovel... But, a place to be dry and warm all the same.

The elders, though... Were told of their coming. You cheeky devil. She almost made herself smile. "Of course. Let the rest of the group get settled inside... Alain and I will be happy to see to your elders." Hopefully their doorman was not the standard for things around here. Cass hoped to meet more like Alain, surely they had some decency of dress at a point in the rung. "You may take us when you're ready, Raum. I have a lot that needs to be done... I should waste no time." The idea of splitting off from the group with these new strangers was mildly disconcerting, but she could trust Alain, and she would watch his back all the same. It didn't seem like anyone else was quite comfortable with the idea of Belial yet, anyway... Having them meet the elders would likely cause more issue than good.

Astaroth looked at his immediate entourage. "Come. The four of us must tether the horses, and Michalis, to these posts. Hopefully, there is a place we can remain close to the entrance. Otherwise, both myself and Hiero would be, what's the phrase, 'caught with our pants down?' so to say?" Astaroth unhitched his horse from the wagon and tied it to one of the posts. The horse shook his head, snorting. "If you sense any danger, be loud. These walls will echo, I can tell. And if I sense anything, I will come running to you. Trust me on this." The horse stared silently ahead. Astaroth stayed nearby, waiting for Barry, Paul and Hiero to finish tying the mounts to the other beams.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

She was still willing to call her 'Chief'! It was a little thing, but it warmed Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's heart. Were it not for the worrying words that accompanied Uuliinyagaantsetseg's address, she would have smiled. Instead, she was forced to wear a grim face, as she couldn't help but agree. "The speed with which the weather continues to worsen does not bode well at all, you are right. There may be some unnatural bent to this aft--" her words cut off as the downpouring sheets parted somewhat, producing a path to deliverance... or to damnation. A hiss of indrawn breath, and she bit her lip, quickly casting her glance to the most likely suspects.

Well, the princess appeared to have been caught just as much off-guard as Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had been, pausing mid-sentence after having finished bragging about her magical prowess. Not her then. The other? The man whose first impression on her had been calling down imitation lightning of his own? Who had since been rising and falling in esteem, like some children's toy of wood and string? There was something in his expression that troubled her, he almost seemed to sparkle with dark delight, but whether that was because he had pulled an elaborate ruse, or 'twere a genuine sign from his... friends, she could not tell. If he was playing a game on them all, he was rather adept at it.

The robed fellow emerging from a cleft in the base of the hill, that somehow had gone unnoticed, put to rest that part of her concerns, though now they were wading ever deeper into the troubling territory of magicks, even as they ceased needing to wade through the mud. But with everyone else cautiously on board, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was left with little choice. Hands once again making the familiar signs, even as she grew less certain they would hold any real effect at keeping her safe, she followed after into the dimly lit halls beneath.

As they piled into the entrance, while some of the party were splitting off to the side area that seemed to serve as stables, the man who'd arrived to guide them continued his welcome, for what it was worth.

"Named or not, humble Raum, I still find you somewhat beyond trust," she fired back. "Still, I think I, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, shall cautiously accept this invitation of yours, to meet the elders." While she hadn't been mentioned by name, or noted as one of the two worthy of special interest, the man had said they were interested in meeting them all... despite Sandy having apparently come to a different conclusion. So she did her best to resolve herself, to man up and take this chance, to push against discomfort and try to learn what she could.

"You know what they say, 'Grow to know your friends, but seek even closer study of those who might wish you harm.' Uuliinyagaantsetseg, I would not force this upon you. If you wish, you are free to remain here, to aid Astaroth and his company."

Alain returned Sebastian's question with a snort. "It appears that Belial doesn't care much for appearances. Quite noble I should say. Equality for both the prince and the pauper. Though I'm afraid her Majesty's court demands a bit of a higher standard, so I wont be changing my attire anytime soon." He dragged his fingers along the earthen walls, chaffing away any of the dirt he'd picked up along the way. The place was every-bit as dark, dingy, and morose as he could have imagined. Granted, it sure beat Malaphar's world, but when it came to their tour-guide, well... Raum was every bit as shaky, hollow, and eerie as the grounds upon which he presided.

Perhaps it was wrong to judge so early, but it was no surprise now that these cultists held the reputation that they did. To Alain's knowledge, this man marked the third Belialist he'd met--and between him, the old man, and Constance, they didn't really stray too far from the mark. They were all unhinged in one way or the other. Was it the the madness of Belial, or the stupor of old age? He couldn't know for sure, but an unsettling shudder crawled through his body all the same.

Either would prove their own kind of damnation... 

"In any event let us be hasty Raum. I've traveled a great deal already, and I'm eager to meet these so called brothers and sisters of mine," he said. He began to usher the man forward but stopped to spare a glance back towards Naiman. Her proverb had been lost on him, but he could tell her interest had been piqued even if she dared not to admit it. He offered her a wry smile and beckoned her forward. Where had her haughty disinterest wandered off to, he wondered? 

"It seems you've made a good impression on her Raum, I'm impressed." Eccentric though the man was, they, like Belial, couldn't afford to give much credence to appearances, at least for now. They were in desperate need of powerful allies--hopefully the elders would provide. "The rest of you are free to remain here if you like, though I imagine staring at dirt walls and floors can only captivate for so long." 

Naiman wanted to come with them? Cass spared a curious glance her way, not about to deny her, but, "I'm surprised you want a part in this. The way you spoke of magic, I'd assumed you were above all of this 'nonsense'... But, if you truly wish to come along, then I'm not one to forbid you." Really, Cass has assumed only Alain and her would've been going, mostly because of how disturbed everyone seemed, not just Naiman. Even Sebastian didn't seem quite like he normally was, out of his element like this. "In any case, Alain is correct. For all of those that wish to accompany us, let us make haste now rather than later. There's too much to discuss to put it off." For Cass esppecially. She could rest after.

After seeing the what Hiero could assume were signs of the gods, he still didn’t want to worship them. Anyways, Hiero hated the dark area below, with being to similar to the hellhole he grew up in. Michalis also seemed to share these feelings, growling at every little thing. When Hiero tied Michalis up, he could tell Michalis was very anxious to get out. Hiero cooed Michalis, saying, “Shh, Shh, It’ll be fine. We will be in and out, faster than you know it.” This seemed to calm the wyvern down. “Alright.” Hiero said, standing up. “I’m ready to go further down. Are you Astaroth?”

Astaroth looked at Barry and Paul. "Maybe you two should stay here. Besides, you most likely won't be alone, if the look on Uulinyagaansetseg's face is anything to go by. Even if you come, I ask that you stay close to one another, lest one of you end up in danger and beyond help." Astaroth turned, grabbing the pommel of his sword. "I do not wish to remain here any more than I have to. Let us go forward. And... Raum, was it? Only a fool would reject the darkness, as confronting it makes their light ever brighter. Do not dismay if I do not turn, but rejoice that you know my conviction is true, and that the quarrels of gods need not be the quarrels of man, much as the Church would disagree. Those fools clad as the clouds are not my compatriots. Whether Alain thinks the same of you is not my place to judge." Astaroth turned to the same direction as everyone else.

Unfortunately, the cave they had been shown to for shelter was far less... welcoming than the parted rain cloud outside... sadly it would have been unlikely to hold itself open had they dawdled, but despite the deep musk and morose feel of this place, it was at least dry, and relatively warm. The man who had greeted them... Raum, apparently, was also quite a character. He seemed unhinged, almost demented... honestly he reminded Sylvia of a depressed sailor who had gotten too deep into a barrel of rum and begun spouting off tales of a deceitful wench at last land, all the while stumbling about and putting himself into disrepair.

Not that Raum was doing any of those things specifically, so much as he gave off the impression of being equally as far into the deep end, floating along through the briny drink with little care.

"What the hell, may as well get a look at what we're in for, aye? Lead on, Raum."

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg wasn't quite sure which annoyed her more. The faintly amused, somewhat knowing smile Alain made as he waved her onward, or the almost incredulous look Sandy shot her. Her expression soured, had her explanation been insufficient? She was not in a mood to say anything further, though, simply letting her flinty expression do the talking. As she walked forward, however, her hand did slide unconsciously to where her wound had been, before it had been healed, almost as if checking to see if the sorcery had worn off.

Friendly Faces

Raum only smirked, gesturing for Alain, Cass and Naimanzuunnadintsetseg to follow after him. "Thank you kindly for accepting such a... troubling invitiation, Miss Naimanzuunadintsetseg. I would have worried that you were too shy to come forth and meet my seniors." he chuckled, looking up to reveal a pair of large almost vacant eyes. His face was still partially obscured, but his eyes were still unsettling enough to dominate it. "I can only apologise for my untrustworthiness in your eyes, perhaps I will be able to reassure you once I prove myself less repulsive, no? Come, Princess, fellow brother... my elders welcome you all... even those who blind themselves with a foolish light."

He let out another dry cackle, lumbering towards one of the many tunnels. Uuliinyagaantsetseg looked at Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, somewhat unsettled by the offer of an invitation. The hesitance crept across her face but she decided to step forward with her chief. "Chief, I shall accompany you. I know not the darkness, but my pride will not allow you to face whilst I hide." she replied, her confidence slowly returning.

"I'll keep an eye on the chuckle brothers, I'm not particularly fond of having fun with goats." Aurelio remarked, joining Barry and Paul in sorting out their wagon. "Just put in a good word for me, let them know I'm not exactly live sacrifice material."

-

Devil's Shoulder

"Your friend amuses me, he masks his fear of the darkness with humour well." Raum commented, looking back at the group following him. Out of Cass' party, only Aurelio, Barry and Paul had remained behind, even Graham had decided to tag along despite his concerns. Sebastian remained very much on guard, not having uttered a quip since beginning the journey through the tunnel. They had turned countless times, their path veering off a side tunnel every few minutes. The earth passage was steadily narrowing, barely large enough for the amazonian frame of Uuliinyagaantsetseg to pass through. "He needs not to worry, he is very safe among our people... our monthly sacrifice was yesterday."

Raum let out another unsettling laugh, grinning as his eyes settled on Graham. Graham flinched, his face growing slightly pale as Raum continued to stare at him. Sebastian put his hand on his master's shoulder, giving Raum a firm glare back.

"I jest of course, one develops a rather... unique sense of humour in a community like this one. Especially after what we have experienced." he muttered, his eery face actually somewhat disgruntled. "We once had our own settlement above ground, but after recent events it became far too unsafe. Much of Angelcynn do not appreciate our worship, even in the wilds on Magonsaete. There were many more of us... but they have left this world to join our master Belial in the abyss."

Raum's words appeared to be true, they'd only seen shadows of people travelling through the other tunnels, not having come face to face with even a single person. At last, the tunnel began to widen into another hallway. The hall was as dimly lit as the entrance. A strange purple smoke swirled across the floor of the room, chilling their ankles as they approached. A bearded figure was sat at the far end of the hall. The lighting was poor, but he looked almost skeletal, his rib cage rising and falling gently. As important as he probably was, there was no aura of power or command, simply a deep emptiness and unsettling tranquility. Raum gestured forwards, bowing his head to his master.

"This is my master, Elder Dumah. His connection to Lord Belial is like no other, he has sacrificed his connections to our mortal realm in order to be closer to the truth." Raum marvelled, the concept exciting the otherwise docile cultist. "You may need to approach him... it is rare that he takes notice of the physical world around him.

"Do not fear, Raum... this is a matter important enough for me to... acknowledge." Dumah announced, his words interrupted by sickly wheezes and gasps. He weakly raised an arm, the limb as thin and emaciated as the rest of him. "Cassandra, daughter of Oswald.... Alain... child of the street and the House of Duhamel... Astaroth, follower of Engel. My Lord has told me much of your travels and your hardships. The children of Belial have faced harshness at the hands of the people of Magonsaete, and by the vile sorcerer Malaphar. My only son, Traliard, was taken away from me by his unnatural World. However... the woes of my people are not alone... you have also faced great hardship... tell me what your heart desires..."

Staring into Raum's eyes was like staring into a well without a bottom, and it greatly unsettled Naimanzuunnadintsetseg. It was almost physically disgusting, like the feeling of a bug crawling along your body, and she could feel her hackles raising. The backhanded compliment also bothered her, as the eerie man's insinuations about expecting her to lack in courage was an affront. Thankfully she held her tongue long enough for Uuliinyagaantsetseg to offer her another outlet that wouldn't risk destroying whatever opportunity Sandy and Alain were hoping for--at least until she were one hundred percent sure it needed to be destroyed, an outcome she had not yet entirely discounted.

"You do me great honor, and great honor to yourself as well. I am pleased to count such a noble warrior among my allies," Naimanzuunnadintsetseg exclaimed with relief, and found that just by doing so it was possibly to shake off the cloying cobwebs of Raum's presence, at least for a while.

The rest of their passage beneath the hill was mostly uneventful, with nary another soul actually encountered, just them and their guide, whose sense of humor was very badly warped. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg found it impossible to sympathize with the man for whatever plights had been suffered at the hands of either her tribe or any of a number of others. He had not made a winning first impression.

As for elder Dumah... "I can see why you prefer a subterranean lair," she dryly remarked. "A stiff breeze looks like it would do him in." The man was haggard beyond belief. She found it hard to believe any such "truth" existed worth trading one's hale and health for to such an extent.

Edited by Balcerzak

Monthly sacrifice, indeed... These men were like the old stories that got told to children to scare them into bed. Creepy, soulless, this impression wasn't doing much to convince Cass that the rest would be much like Alain... Or perhaps, he would become like them, as time passed. Seemingly less unsettled than the rest at Raum's empty eyes, Cass followed along through the tight halls, catching the shadows of others every so often. How many presided here? How many were left? To be living in such a cave... The journey didn't last much longer, as they came to meet with this elder of sorts. What was left of him, at least... He looked much more like a skeleton than a man. And as he spoke... Should he even have been speaking?

His explanation seemed typical, until that unfortunate name made itself apparent. Malaphar. So he'd done most of them in, had he? Who do you work for, you maniac? Or do you simply move on your own whims... I do not understand you, and I'm unsure I wish to. If they were to ally with the Belialists, it seemed that Malaphar was not a risk, but a certainty. He'd probably come back to finish them as soon as he realized he'd failed to do so in the first place. Then we figure out his tricks. That's all we can do...

"I come seeking aid," she began, voice strong and unhindered by the pallid atmosphere of the cave. "I wish to turn the southern tribes against themselves, or assume command. Then, drive them to the east, and take Wyke. Not to save it, but to destroy it... And I will rebuild it as a place without the corrupt underbelly it contains today." Hopefully that was plain enough. "Unfortunately, we're a small group. We've the means to fight a hold of bandits, perhaps two or three at best, but an entire gathering of clans, such a feat is above us. I had... Hopes," she said with a moment's hesitation, "that we would be able to use the magics of you and your people to scare or, corral the fringe tribes, bring them under our power. Or if there is such a way, to behead the beast leading them, and assume his place. Whether or not this is a possibility remains to be seen, but your... Our lord, guided us here. It's all we have to go on."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Alain had thought he'd tempered his expectations well enough, and yet he still managed to find himself deflating upon every corner they turned--all culminating in a final exasperated sigh as they approached what appeared to be the main hall. Had these people not been told of their coming by 'Lord' Belial himself? And despite that, the best they had managed to dig up was a ghoul who fancied himself a jester, and a corpse that had all but forgotten to stop breathing? This was the welcoming they offered to a Princess who stood before the door of acceptance? 

"Astonishing, simply astonishing," he gasped, taking in the full view of the hall. Not that there was much to take in to begin with. He was told there would be elders plural, and yet only Dumah was seated before them. Perhaps the hall was more a cemetery, and the remaining elders had long since been laid to rest? He looked between Duham and Raum, quietly lamenting his very own existence. 

I'm to fight Malaphar with this? 

He would be better served joining the remaining elders in the great beyond before Malaphar had a chance to burn him to cinders. He let out another sigh as Dumah began to speak, but slowly he found his exasperated disappointment giving way to begrudging acknowledgement. Perhaps his companions had failed to notice, but for all his faults the elder possessed a cognizance that was not wholly mortal. It was impossible for Dumah to have known his past without Belial's aid. He would know. He had experienced the same manner of revelations himself. Though it irked him that the man would speak of his previous life so openly in front of the very people he would have hoped to hide it from.  

But the point was soon forgotten once Cassandra began to speak. As he listened, he couldn't help but smile. For just a few moments she commanded the air with an authority that even she herself may have never known she had. Still she paled in comparison to Ethel, yet just days ago she was wrought with fantasies of life as a village maiden. And now she spoke of reforming a kingdom and killing a man who sought power to rival the lords of light and dark.

A bold turn of character if ever he'd seen one. 

"It is as Cassandra says. As it so happens, the Malaphar you speak of is the very man that stands at the epicenter of this all. You have my condolences for the fate of your son. I myself have borne witness to the horrors of his realm," he revealed, a dark expression washing over him. Even now the sorcerer was likely seated upon his throne, plotting and planning.  

"My heart holds many desires Elder Dumah, but in this moment I desire the end to the man known as Malaphar."

Astaroth was still not comforted when the cave walls gave way to the halls of stone. He gazed upon Dumah, a man who was nearly bones. Was he sustained by the old devil's power? Or was it the old devil that made him like this. He had few desires in particular, and none that Belial had the power to give... except for one. Cassandra wanted an army to reclaim and reshape her home. Astaroth wanted what the Southern Tribes were attempting: an empire. If him and Cassandra would compromise, he could take her army and fashion Magonsaete in his imsoul,  forging an empire in its own right, not the one of conquest the Southern Tribes were trying to create.

As for the treacherous mage who burned Naiman and Uuliin's village had a name. Malaphar, a name sounding more malicious than any bore by any of the old devil's associates. The way Dumah spoke of him made Alain uncomfortable, as both Cassandra and Alain reacted rather poorly at his mention. What was he capable of, Astaroth wondered? His realm? Astaroth wondered how there were realms other than than this one and the domains of Engel and Belial.

Astaroth looked up into Dumah's almost soulless eyes. "Princess Cassandra has a similar desire to mine. For too long, barbarism has held back Magonsaete from rising into the power it could be. The fact that it could be united in its barbarism and lay waste to the lands to the North is sickening to me, and also could bring about the destruction of my tribe. She wants an army to demolish the old order of Wyke, I want Magonsaete to unite under a banner of order and progress. I know that I should stand opposed to you, but I feel that Engel will forgive our alliance, because unlike the Southern Tribes, and this Malaphar character, I see no reason to deny you life and shelter, and that as long as those who come to you come willingly, you would remain unharmed. If you give me reign over the army of the Southern Tribes, I will help Cassandra reform her home. That is all." He stepped back, hoping that his every word didn't send him ever closer to Belail's realm. Forgive me, my lord, for I have sinned.