Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

Alain looked at Cassandra incredulously, and let out an exasperated sigh as he listened to Astaroth's long list of complaints. Was he expecting someone to console him, or was he creating a scene just for the sake of it? Anyone else, and Alain may have felt some shred of pity--but Astaroth had proven time and again that he considered himself a cut above the rest. A cut above him at least. And now he was going to start crying to everyone on account of his own regret? Engel have mercy. It was just one thing after another. 

"Did Princess Cassandra knight you while I wasn't looking, or did you go and swear an oath of fealty in silence? Nobody forced you to be here. In fact, she specifically told you that if you needed to attend to your people, you were free to do so," he said. "And if you mean to blame circumstance, then I fail to see how we are any worse off than we were before," he added, looking to his peers. "I mean, am I in the wrong? Was it an error to enlist the aid of sorcerers against a sorcerer? Am I just not seeing my own folly? If there was a better option, someone, please explain it to me."

He pushed his bowl aside and stood up to address the man directly. 

"You and yours have consistently doubted me, but you pick up one dusty book and suddenly you take it as Engel's commandments? And do you really think you're the only one here with things to think about? Naimanzuunnadintsetseg and Uuliinyagaantsetseg have to contend with the fact that they're the only surviving members of their clan. Cassandra has to worry about her entire Kingdom and the people therein. And all those people sitting over there," he said, pointing to the cultists, "also have to contend with their own grievances," he said.

"And do you really think I'm just sitting around doing nothing when it comes to dealing with Malaphar? I know better than anyone here what we're dealing with. So don't start crying to me about what is or isn't possible," he scoffed. "I don't actually care whether you eat or not. But if you think we're dallying around here for the fun of it, you're damn wrong. But since it's come to this anyway, does anyone else have any grievances they wish to air out?" he asked, his attention focused squarely upon Naiman. 

Edited by Vestige

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cass' eyes would've rolled right out of her head if the action wasn't completely detrimental. Astaroth had definitely been the wrong choice, Cass was feeling incredibly vindicated now. She made to speak, but Alain did before she could manage, and he laid things out brilliantly. What a powerful man to have as an ally... And a bit scary, given her history with silver tongued traitors, but, she could trust Alain. He'd nearly thrown his life away to give her this chance.

"All that I can add to Alain's speech, is that I have no intentions of giving up halfway. I will bleed, I will sweat, I will cry, and I will not stop until I can go no longer. Malaphar is terrifying, but he is no God, he is a man. He can bleed-- I have seen him do so, battered, near death. I don't know what made him as such, but the man as is mortal as the rest of us. He can hide behind his magic for only so long. So while I am scared, it will not deter me." Hopefully knowing the force they were up against wasn't impenetrable made this a bit easier to swallow. "Our prospects are far from grim, and they're far better than wandering about the plains, or retreating to the comforts of home. I will second Alain, if anyone has complaints to make, make them now. Once the rains let up, we leave... And if some of you wish to walk the other way, make this plain." Cass wasn't about to try and convince anyone to come along with them. She'd made her case, they'd all heard the facts of the situation. If Sylvia, Naiman, Astaroth, or any of the other plains dwellers wished to leave, then it would be their decision.

Reluctant Gratitude

Aurelio's face was rather telling of his opinion, the man looked almost ill from the cultists' cooking. "I'm almost tempted to agree with Clip-Clop on this one, this is probably the worst meal I've ever had... but at least it's something in my stomach." he added, bracing himself to continue his meal. Barry and Paul were enjoying themselves though. Through their own unique brand of lateral thinking, they'd split an onion between them and submerged each piece into their bowls. "Damn... if this gives me the shits I might have to take that back. I guess caves don't make good kitchens."

"This dinner is perhaps one of the better ones, although I do believe that more earth worms would have made it a better dish." Raum laughed, twirling his spoon in his bowl. "I jest of course, we ran out of earth worms two weeks ago... we've been using slugs instead. That and many of our best chefs fell to the hands of Malaphar and his allies roughly a month ago. It is rather fortunate that I am still with us... otherwise the food may be far worse."

His macabre remarks very much faded into the background after Alain's slaying blow to Astaroth's complaints. The room had gone silent, all eyes were on Alain.

More drama with these folk... seemed like a common thing, nothing to be surprised at. One thing that also remained consistent was the sorry state of the cuisine... not at all unexpected after the foul pool these cave dwellers used as a water source, it was definitely bravery on the mage's part to try it in the first place. Edible if unpleasant, apparently. Taking a spoon for herself, Sylvia hadn't much trouble stomaching it... was it foul? Absolutely, but she'd had to eat worse in dire times at sea. Still, their own situation was not so dire as to require eating... this. The drama in the room seemed to remain the more pressing issue at present though, escalating as she constructed her thoughts on the state of their meal.

"I've no reason to leave now, I reckon. What is it they say up North? In for a penny, in for a pound? It be somethin' like that... o'course, that just be how I see it. Not a one would blame ye if y'put yer own people first n'rode straight to 'em." Sylvia added into the mix, slipping her hand into a pouch on her side. Rather than her usual grog, she pulled out a bright orange fruit, peeling back a bit of the skin before biting into it. Certainly leagues above the bowl in front of her, the humble orange was something she always liked to keep close at hand when she could, especially on land... she had seen too many a sea dog fall to scurvy in her day. Not Sylvia, not after seeing those men languish away.

"Iffin anyone would rather, I've got a few of the things left from the supply I had brought aboard th'wagon. I'm not above sharin'."

Astaroth stood up. Alain cut deep with his words, but maybe such a deep wound could heal more than it ever would destroy. "You are right. Such should have beneath me. I know not if I deserve pity, but I should not so readily beg for it, not when I have not given it to those who deserve it. Not just pity, but also praise. I would ask your forgiveness, if only because I did not see how I was wrong in doubting you before you told me. But maybe there is hope, if I only I could sense it in this place. As for me leaving, I will follow my own advice in that regard, and stay. The three of us, four if Hiero returns, know our odds of returning home alive are too low to consider doing so in good conscience, not just for us, but also for you all." He went and sat back down, seeing as though Barry and Paul weren't going to pass up the food. 

Looking down at the thing again, he sighed. "Not like this." He pulled out and opened the bottle of spice, mixing a pinch into the bowl. "I hope that it is just the soup I'm eating, not also my words." Taking a sip, the spice managed to mask the taste, if there was any to mask, but the texture of it irked him even more. Deciding that it would only get worse if he didn't hurry, he drank the soup quickly. A series of hacks and wheezes followed. " *cough* *hack* *wheeze* Oh Engel above! What have I done to myself?" It had to have been the second stupidest thing he had ever done, second only to the childish tantrum he threw only minutes before. It's a wonder I have survived to this age. I really am this bullheaded, aren't I? I must to better, for the sake of my people, I must.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg began to regret having relayed the girls' encounter at the rank reservoir in light of Astaroth's reaction to the hot dish they had been presented--there were no other words she could use to describe it. It was hot, and it was a dish. Too solid for soup, too runny for a meat loaf of any kind, and with a curious thick film of sorts across its top.

But as unappetizing as it was,, the other chief had taken a poor approach in handling it. Herself? She had been content to observe, and having seen no hesitation from the cultists in tucking in to the meal, nor any observable difference between what had been placed in front of their hose as opposed to in front of their guest, was currently in the process of fortifying herself to take that first bite when the man first announced his intent to quit the table, unsupped. Despite her intense disapproval, they still were suffering the hospitality of these Belialists, and to take and throw it in their faces was rude beyond even her confrontation with the witch over what had happened to Hiero. His laying the blame at her feet was not far from welcome either. Turning to shoot him a questioning look, with a bit of a glare for good measure.

The others had attempted to patch things over, by digging in, and not one to shy from the task, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg carefully cut free a spoonful with the edge of the utensil and gave it a delicate try. She'd... eaten worse. Not often, and not with enthusiasm, of course, but when times were lean, being picky was not an option. Maybe it was just texture preference, some people seemed to actually enjoy the roasted termites, whereas she could never really get around that crunch. This, was more... rubbery, which didn't trip the same adverse reaction at least.

Perhaps it was both Alain and the princess criticizing his behaviour, leaving him with a sense of being forsaken maybe, but Astaroth proceeded to double down, causing greater spectacle as he bemoaned the circumstances he found himself in. The same circumstance they all were yoked under, but which he was having the harder time coping with. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg tried to give him due consideration, he still had his tribe to worry about after all... but the other side of the coin was that he still had a tribe at all. Her sympathy could only go so far, which was to say, not very. For hysterics of this level, there would have needed to be a trigger much more profound.

Setting her spoon down, and bringing her hands to her lap, the plainswoman prepared to speak, but was again beaten to the punch by the magus in Sandy's employ. Who of course, was holding nothing back. Great, just great. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg felt a headache coming on, and brought one hand up to cradle her face, thumb upon her temple and fingers across her brow. Perhaps this caught Alain's notice, as the man turned some thinly veiled sharp words in her direction as well. Better to respond than not, at this juncture.

"Any new, unaired grievances?" she made sure to stress the word. "No. I feel I've been quite clear and far from shy about raising mine as issues occur." Naimanzuunnadintsetseg flicked her gaze briefly to where the witch with scarlet hair had been seated. "Though if this current spat keeps up, I will have to complain that it is far too soon for us to all be succumbing to cabin fever. That was the phrase, right Sylvia?" Perhaps more flippant than he deserved, but she was growing irritable herself.

Edited by Balcerzak

"Well, I suppose that's the end of it then." Alain shook his head and sighed, settling back down into his seat. In a surprising turn of events Astaroth had not only acknowledged his folly, but asked for forgiveness in the same breath. Truthfully, it had caught him off guard. But like Naiman had said, it would be best to dispel the tension as soon as possible. "I must say, I'm impressed. Not many men I know would acknowledge their faults so quickly, and so publicly," he said, praising the man. "I hope I can prove your trust in me will not have been a mistake. Just as we fear Malaphar's name, I'll make certain that the sorcerer will soon come to fear our names as well. The bastard has a lot of debts to pay, and I intend to collect," he concluded. There wasn't much else to say, was there? Cassandra had made her intentions clear, and it seemed as though everyone was in it for the long haul--for better or for worse. He just hoped he'd be able to make good on his promises. 

"Slugs?" Cass felt her stomach lurch, having considered taking another bite, and now deciding against it. Beggars couldn't be choosers, but she could wait at least one more day to choose. As for the matters at hand, Astaroth had somehow turned his worries around, but the fact he was so ready to break was alarming. What could he possibly have read? It can't have been that disturbing. Couldn't have been worse than this sludge of a soup... "I think I will excuse myself, if we're all content, then... I have more practice to get in, and no time to waste." Pushing herself up from the table, Cass couldn't help eyeing one of those oranges... "Er... Sylvia, if you could bring one of those by later... I'd very much appreciate it. Anyway, if anyone needs me." The winding tunnels weren't any less confusing, but Cass at least know which one she'd taken to get from the resting quarters here. She had to have that fire spell ready for combat, at the least...

"Yarr, that seems about right, Thistle... and aye, sure, he- and she's gone." Sylvia replied to Thistle, about to pull out another piece of citrus and hand it to the Princess at her request, but she had already departed... well, it wasn't like she was going to eat the sludge soup anyway, and they had been told that wandering alone wasn't the greatest plan.

"Well, I suppose O'ill go deliver this'n, then. If any of y'others be interested, just find me, aye?" The privateer noted, following after Cassandra before she lost the sound of her footsteps on the cave floor. Easier to keep track of her, that way.

Inspecting the cave basin had been a bust, to put it frankly. Things happened to those who ventured alone in the caves indeed... were one not wary, a simple drink would have turned them into a foul beast's meal. Just what it was that had lurked under the depths, Sylvia did not know... nor was she eager to learn much more of it. Eventually parting ways with the twin tulips of the plains after reaching a less... treacherous area of the cavern, Sylvia began her next objective.

Searching out the Princess. For one, she was curious to hear what Cassandra had to say, but second... well, getting word of their findings to the others seemed a good idea, surely one that the others would attempt to fulfill as well. Eventually wandering into a living quarters of sorts, the privateer finally found her Princess, seemingly in the process of looking over one of those magic tomes.

"Aye, Cassandra. D'ya have a minute t'talk? I'd like t'catch up on what I missed earlier, iffin y'don't mind?"

"Oh, Sylvia... I suppose I can try. I hope you don't mind if it's a bit abridged." Going through everything again, so soon, would feel fairly upsetting. It was already frustrating enough to know what she now did.

"Right... In Wyke, there is a man named Edion. He's been trying to mess with my life for the better part of the last few months, in rather despicable ways. I'll spare you the details. As it turns out, thanks to Elder Dumah... I found out that not only is the good Edion a Belialist, he's the one who helped Deira take Wyke, and is now commanding over it like some pretend king... To top it all off, as if life couldn't help but throw another punch my way... He's sleeping with my mother. With my father out of the way, dead from his disease, I suppose it was easy for him to slip into her good graces... I don't know how complicit she is in things, but if it's at all of her own choice, I'm ready to kill them both."

That was the short of it. "Questions?"

Sylvia grimaced at Cassandra's description of events, her earlier outburst making far more sense with context now given. The Princess saying she was ready to slay her own kin was almost unnerving... almost. From the sounds of it, her Mother hay have turned out to be quite the wolf in sheep's clothing... possibly.

"Not so much questions, no. I can only hope y'take the chance to find out how involved yer mother was in all this... iffin y'charged inta her without lookin' deeper, y'might do something you'd regret." Sylvia chimed in... it seemed that Cassandra had intent to check such things either way, but it was always good to have anchors on standby.

"That aside, seems as though y've made up yer mind, Cassandra. Y'seem to have found yer resolve."

"Resolve... No." Cass appreciated the reminder that Graham and Sebastian had previously made clear. If possible, wring the truth out of Eowa before driving a sword into her. But this, this wasn't resolve. "I've found something to cling to. ... ... Do not tell anyone else of this. But... I want nothing more than to curl up and cry, right now." Admitting as such made her shiver. It was too much to think about.

"I've given up my brother, my lover, my life, my comfort, everything I knew... I came here to try again. And now, I am chasing the faintest possibility-- but the chance of that possibility coming to light, is giving me enough to keep going. To take Wyke, to forge Wyke, to save the people that matters, to destroy the people who forced me here, and made me this desperate... I would call this more some petty form of revenge, than resolve. You may see it differently... I appreciate the confidence, really. But when this is all over, if we're to succeed... I want a warm bed, and a pillow to sob into. I wish to be weak, again. I don't know when I'll be given the chance."

Why reveal this to her? It seemed odd to Sylvia... surely those she had known longer would be better to confide in... but she had no reason to betray the Princess' trust. Her sentiments at least made sense... despite the strength she had shown... no, this too was a part of that strength, she was still a young girl. 

"Whatever y'want to call it, it's drivin' you. Nothin' wrong with revenge... at least, iffin there is, I've got nothin to say on it. My confidence ain't shaken though, y'hear? I knew y'were strong a'heart, regardless o' anythin' else, and this seals it." Sylvia replied, grin widening as she walked over towards Cassandra and sat down a bit away from her on the bed she had been using as a place to read... it certainly wasn't inviting. Hard and unwelcoming, a place for rest by necessity, not comfort... seemed this whole place was that way.

"It takes strength t'admit weakness. Iffin y'can't open up to anybody, gotta be strong all the time no matter what, well that just makes ya weak on the inside. It's folk like you, see... who can face their weakness, know it's there, and tell it t'bugger off 'cuz y'ain't got time for that shit right now, keep movin' despite it. That's strength, Cass." The privateer noted with a bit of a light chuckle, taking a swig of grog before replacing her canister and wiping her lip.

"Y've given up a lot... more'n some people have to begin with, y'know. A lotta people might call ye crazy fer pursuin' this as y'do. Maybe they'd be right, even... but me? I can't help but admire that spunk a'yers, Cass. Call it resolve, somethin' to cling at, revenge... that be a spark deep in yer soul. It ain't somethin' that no one can take from you... as y'grow and find more a' yerself, it'll burn brighter and hotter, like that sun up above the clouds. I ain't gonna be the only one seein' it then, I guarantee." 

"And iffin it gets t'be too much, now or later, I don't mind bein' a pillar iffin ye need one. Don't matter how strong ye be, everyone's gotta cry or let loose now and again. Th'worst y'can do, Cass, is break apart tryina' take everythin' alone when y'ain't gotta."

So that was the sort of person Sylvia was. The kind to follow someone with strength of heart and body, like most of the Magonsaetians would. Cass didn't exactly mind that, as long as she could keep this facade up. The woman seemed rather set on helping her, but it did confuse Cass a bit. "Why?"

Too vague, she shuffled the words in her head before trying to sort them out. "Why are you willing to help us so far? I don't wish to see your aid disappear, but for simple reasons like 'admiring my spunk', whatever that's supposed to mean... You must realize you're putting your life on the line. Naiman and Astaroth are here trying to help their people or their country, Alain and I are here for our greater purpose, a few others are just following us because I'm their liege or their friend... So why you?"

It didn't really follow why this odd pirate form Myrcia would be willing to go so far. "What's your stake in things?"

"My stake in things? Aye... that be a fair question. Well... t'start with, iffin ye pull this off, you'll be strikin' quite a blow against Deira... kickin' em outta Wyke would certainly be a step toward me own revenge, iffin I helped y'do it, certainly more than raidin' a few ships ever was. Raewald be stompin' through Myrcia just as freely as Deira ever did... joinin' their war effort mighta worked, but it would leave a sour taste in me mouth." Sylvia began, hand coming up to rest on her chin as she considered how best to continue.

"Otherwise... well, I think I said it before. Ye interest me, Cass. I've usually got a damn fine intuition, see? And that intuition tells me that stickin' with ye is the right thing I should be doin'. It done tells me that y'all will do somethin' great... maybe it sounds silly to ye, but I wanna see where that spark a yers will go... how bright it'll burn."

Wanting to hurt Deira made some sense, though there were probably better ways to do it than this fool of a plan... The rest was fairly uninspired, but Cass wouldn't shoot down help if it remained loyal. Some of it, though... "While I appreciate your compliments, your appreciation seems a mite personal. I'm afraid you're just a bit too old for my liking, Miss Sylvia. Pardon if you weren't heading in that direction, but making it clear now should help to avoid anything going forward."

"Aye, I ain't that old, now. Don't wound me pride, y'hear... as fer that, while I might not be opposed to such a thing, it ain't what I was drivin' at. How do I put this... what yer tryin' seems so far outta line compared to what most might do, see? I wanna see iffin y'can pull it off. And iffin y'do, I wanna be a part o' it. Does that make any sense?" Sylvia replied, shaking her head a bit at Cassandra's assertion.

"Hmhmhmhm. You're certainly not that young, though..." At least she hadn't been heading that way, that made things a bit more comfortable. "I suppose. Then we'll just have to see how well we can accomplish it, shall we?" Having new allies like this... It was a bit like before, wasn't it? How nostalgic.

"I'll ignore that this time... and I got no intention o' failin', iffin that's what you mean. So, still feel like cryin', or got it outta yer system?" Sylvia responded with a guffaw and a wide grin, leaning back a bit on her hands.

Cass snickered. "Not yet. I have to accomplish something before I can give myself that moment. We're ready to start now, but we're still sitting at the gate. Maybe if we succeed with the south I can have that time to myself. What about you? Anything else you need to make known?"

"Fair enough... oh, ye be right though, I almost forgot the other reason I done came over here... we went to check out the water supply, we did... foul thing." Sylvia paused, a grimace covering her face.

"The water be rank and still, a metallic smell loomin' over it. When Rosemary stuck an arrow inta it t'check, somethin' started t'churn and almost grabbed it. Somethin' is definitely amiss, livin' in that pool. I'd avoid it, iffin I were you.

Oh, wonderful... Some dark pet to one of the cultists. Cass couldn't help a sigh. "It's a good thing we'll be out of here sooner than later, then. We'll have to find a proper source of water and get what we can from it while we travel. How unfortunate... I'll see if, perhaps, they have some other pond without a creature resting inside. Thank you for letting me know, Sylvia... And I was looking forward to a calm bath." Oh well...

"Aye, same as I was, but it seems that won't come to pass, not here. We'll have to find a stream somewhere with some woods, most likely." Sylvia affirmed with a sigh of her own, echoing Cassandra in that regard.

"As long as we can keep the boys away... I've half a mind that Graham would try to sneak a peek at me. He is at that age, now..." Cass shrugged. "If that's all, then."

"Hah! Any man'll peek once, Cass. The trick is t'put a fear in 'em so they don't do it again." Sylvia replied with a hearty chuckle.

"That be the bulk of it, ye. Unless y'had any small talk or such things t'share, hah!"

Edited by Ether

Astaroth looked at his two companions. "I'm sorry you two had to see me like that. I hope it didn't frighten you so. Are you ready to leave? If so, we should do so now. Our goal is far, yet. We must be ready for anything, and we won't be if we do not rest now. I await you both near to the door." Astaroth moved to the door, waiting for his two trusted companions to join him and go into the sleeping quarters.

Despite how Alain's call out, and almost pointed provocation of her had hinted he'd been expecting, maybe hoping, for something more to come from their exchange, it seemed the man had been satisfied enough with Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's answer for now. Still, perhaps sooner than later they would need to have words, to clear the air more, as much as it could be at least. Preferably in private, or at least not in front of all the cultists.

With the nature of the protein in their hot dish revealed, Sandy--or her stomach--seemed to have decided she'd had enough, and promptly--but politely--quit the table, followed quickly thereafter by Sylvia. Astaroth also departed, and if the trend continued it would rapidly become very nearly just Naimanzuunnadintsetseg and the caveful of Belialists at the table. Starting to border on unsettling, but what could you do? Anyway, rather than let the food grow cold, and less palatable than it already was, she returned to the task at hand, occasionally stopping to rest her gaze on one or the other of the more worrisome members--Raum, the witch, Alain--just trying to puzzle them out.

Missing Link

"I have an issue, although it's not a particularly big one." Aurelio yawned, pushing his bowl away from him. "Anyone seen that lizard-humper? I haven't caught sight of him since he went five fingers down. Not really many places to run off to, unless he tripped and fell into that nasty pool people keep talking about. Clip-clop, when you think about it, these people aren't that different from you. Huts and caves aren't that different, if you saw Wyke, you'd be completely blown away. The food's not great, but I haven't had a decent meal since I've been out here. If you want to go around improving things, you've got a whole country to sort out."

Raum chuckled, his face as haunting as ever. "I had seen our one handed friend near our lovely lake... I wonder if he is partial to swimming." Raum pondered, delight spreading across his twisted face. "It would be unfortunate if he did, people who have tried to submerge themselves have a horrible tendency not to return to the surface.  We should really look into that one day, what a pity."

Barry and Paul looked up from their bowls, puzzled by their leader's apology. "You're not scary boss, if we were scared of you it wouldn't be good at all." Barry replied, lowering his empty bowl back down onto the table. "The only things that scare me are spiders with too many legs and words that are too long."

"It looks like you're also afraid of common sense, you numpty." Paul added, gently smacking his brother on the head. "At least I understand, boss. It's a lot of work when you're in charge of a lot of people and they're depending on you, especially when some of them are as hopeless as this dimwit. Just let us know what we need to do and we'll be doing it, no slacking from us."

Slugs, eh? 

A niche item to be sure, but the revelation hardly fazed him. Cassandra on the other hand seemed disgusted, and promptly quit the table at her earlier convenience. Not very surprising to him, that. She liked to pretend she had become tough and rugged, but at the end of the day she was born and raised as royalty. Even if she never quite fit the mold, a couple weeks in the wild lands weren't going to change that. That was precisely why he couldn't help but raise an eyebrow when Sylvia quickly followed Cass' lead and excused herself with a bowl untended to. The woman spoke as if she were born and raised in the Dank Codger, and yet she was going to pretend like she couldn't stomach some slugs?

He placed another spoonful in his mouth. It was a curious thought, but the matter of Hiero's wayward stroll proved even more so. He held up a finger. "Sounds like you and yours have quite the problem there, Raum. Here's a thought. Why wait for 'one day' when we have today? I'm sure I'd be able to figure out the mystery of this lake if I were to take you with me for a quick swim," he mused, prodding the ghoulish man with a dark thought of his own. 

24th May 812 - Eastern Magonsaete

The storm had been unrelenting, several days had passed before conditions were suitable for travel. There had been some mixed feelings about residing within the Belialists and their unsettling habits. There had been no signs of Hiero at all, it wasn't clear if he'd disappeared within the caves or simply left of his own accord. His wyvern had not left, leading question to if he had met his fate at the cave's lake. With the Belialists as their allies, Cass and her group travelled eastwards, dedicated in recruiting the remaining tribes to unite against the south. It had been less than a day's travel and things had gone almost too smoothly. The ground was still waterlogged, but passage was at least possible. Sunlight was peeking through the breaks in the clouds, the prospect of an approaching summer seeming far more likely. Kelbara wasn't quite a direct replacement for their dimwitted wyvern rider, and she didnt make any particular efforts to try and break the ice.

"The tribes to the east have the most contact with Wyke. Rumour is they were willing to work with a Wykian noble to further their own goals... it would not be unreasonable to think they wish to cooperate." Kelbara muttered, disgust creeping across her face. "They are like leeches, latching onto whatever host they see best. However, their strength is second only to the south. The constant battles with Wyke have kept them strong."

Aurelio scoffed, dismissing the bandits in his own way. "I've seen how they fight, we were winning easily against them until Escablunder botched things. There's lots of them and they're not the weakest... but they're hardly potent fighters." he remarked, giving a mock yawn. "A bunch of thugs led by whoever's got the biggest club, no brains at all."

"Quite an interesting interpretation, Mister Aurelio. You must have had plenty of time to consider things whilst taking shelter in that hut of yours." Sebastian added, leaving Aurelio lost for words. The axefighter huffed, deciding that the conversation was better left with what had been already said.

The path ahead of them diverged, with a mountain range to their west and a narrow bridge to their south. With their convoy and mounts, the mountain path would have been a difficult option. 

However, it soon became clear that Cass' group had other problems. Fighters were posed for a well-timed ambush, their placement almost too on-point for a group of mindless thugs. The nearest fighters were an ugly bunch, their demeanour and appearance such to make Aurelio's generalisations a reality.

"We gots good information that some important people was coming through here." one snarled, brandishing his axe. "Chief Hera is going to make us Aegan clansmen a force that people won't want to mess with. We just need to prove ourselves... it'll all be ours."

Graham looked at Cass and Alain, nodding his head firmly. "I don't think we'll be making friends with these guys, we've got no choice but to fight, right?" he asked, less reluctant than he had been in the previous battle. "Having them as our allies wouldn't work out anyway, let's hope the next bunch have more sense."

Chapter 11B - Followers of Him
Objective: Seize with Cass / Defeat all promoted enemies

81a4eedeffd67338e31ad733e68157dd.png

Spreadsheet

Deploy in the blue! Three NPC slots available!

Rule

Night had fallen, the rains not letting up. Were these monsoons the norm here, in Magonsaete? The people here were definitely hardy to survive so long and still be so able bodied... Cass had other things on her mind as people began to go to sleep, though. Gently raising her head and looking around their sleeping quarters, her eyes fell on Naiman, but for no lascivious reasons. There was a very important thing that needed discussed with her, and Cass hadn't found the time. With the way Astaroth was acting, things needed to be set before he could raise argument. And so, creeping towards her, trying to be quiet, Cass gently nudged her shoulder.

"Naiman," she whispered, looking about to the others, wondering if they would wake. "I need to speak with you. Please, wake up."

Not particularly having trusted the worksmanship of the makeshift beds in the living quarters, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had moved her mattress to the ground before settling in for the night. Given their location, and those whose hospitality they were relying on, she did not hope for sound sleep or pleasant dreams. And lo and behold, she had barely descended into the first fitful bit of slumber before an unfamiliar hand grasped her shoulder from behind. Instincts leaping into action, she rolled to face her attacker. Reaching up with her hands, she grabbed back, twisting and continuing to roll, aiming to pin them beneath her, neutralizing or at least minimizing any threat while buying enough time to fully awaken.

To her surprise, once she'd regained her bearings, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg discovered that it was Sandy who had come to bother her. Blinking quickly, and shaking her head a little, her racing heartbeat began to calm down, as the adrenaline-fueled reaction proved itself entirely unnecessary. Answering the half-heard request she only now began to recall and recognize, the plainswoman whispered back. "You gave me quite a start, do forgive me. Perhaps we should take a small walk, so as not to disturb the others any further."

Having not expected the sudden struggle, Cassandra was left unaware as to how she should respond, rolling with Naiman until the woman was holding her down. Despite the situation, Cass couldn't help but turn a bit red, smiling somewhat. "If you wanted to be on top, you should've just asked..." What a... Fortunate, turn of events?

That aside, it would probably do to get to the real reason she'd decided to wake the chief, nodding. "Yes, quite... I had something to discuss with you. It's... Definitely too important to leave waiting." She thought of Astaroth for but a moment, his behaviour earlier springing to mind. "If you can get me off-- get, off of me," she choked, nearly slapping her head against the ground in embarrassment, "I suppose we can get walking."

"I already apolo--" Naimanzuunnadintsetseg cut off the rest of her words when it became clear the princess was just in jest. A hard one to get used to, that. A quiet snort, followed by a flat "Very funny," and she pushed herself up and off of the other woman before grabbing and wrapping her furs close around her body. It wouldn't do to go walking the corridors in such ill state of dress as she slept. Turning back to Cassandra, she reached out a hand to help her up as well. "Come."

That garnered a snicker, Cass having to bite her lip to stop it from becoming a laugh. "You are quite adorable, under the right circumstances." Cass pulled herself up, trying to calm her smile. The subject on her mind wasn't at all as pleasant as this, but perhaps it was a necessary excitement to calm her nerves and help ease her into discussion. Bless her stars, and all that. "Of course."

Cass held her hands behind her back as they began to walk, deciding to get down to the issue immediately. "How do you feel about ruling over Magonsaete?" A proper question, if there ever was one.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg wrinkled her nose at the mention of 'adorable', but seemed to have given up protesting the princess for now. The dark of the tunnels did its best to seem ominously oppressive, even when faced with the light of the candle she'd lit as they'd left the sleeping quarters. Despite that, though, walking them with a companion was infinitely more bearable than pacing them alone would have been.

Sandy had wasted little time before broaching her subject, the reason she'd woken the plainswoman in the first place. Waiting only until scarcely out of earshot, she launched in with zero fanfare, nothing to break the ice. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg halted her footsteps, and turned in place to face her, narrowing her eyes and trying to gauge for sure that she wasn't being pranked. The dancing of the shadows cast by the candle was the only thing playful about the princess's countenance. Not that Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had truly expected otherwise, but upon hearing a topic like that, one couldn't help but slow things down.

Choosing her words very carefully, she responded to the solemn question in kind. "A unified Magonsaete is the sort of thing a rare chief might boast about, late at night after they had been deep in the drink, but fewer still would make any designs upon working toward such goal when greeted by the light of the following morn. More than most things, it has been naught but a matter of far-off myth."

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg closed her eyes, a faint smile gracing her lips. "I must confess at times I too had dreamt such things, had yearned after being the great chief of chiefs. Felt the flames of desire urging me forward, to seek and command the respect, the allegiance of the unnumbered tribes. To guide them in prosperity through the power of my visions for the future, to see them all bend to my will."

Sighing wistfully, she continued, "I had thought such fancies dead the day I was unable to keep a small band of hunters bound together during the aftermath of the devastation of their home. But it seems some embers may have been carefully sheltered from the cruel winds of fate. Perhaps they are simply waiting for the proper time to be rekindled."

Question thoroughly answered, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg almost asked what had prompted it. Such a query seemed quite disingenuous, however, as she had good ideas regarding the princess's general train of thought. Where would she take things next, though? The plainswoman found herself looking forward to seeing just how the rest of the conversation would unfold.

A good reaction from Naiman was enough to bring joy to the princess, dealing with her negativity for the past day or so. She'd even smiled! Cass lit up. "So you're interested, then!" Taking her free hand, Cass squeezed it tightly, smile wide. "I know the dream is lofty, but I do not wish to make use of this country's people and simply toss it aside. To do so would be an absolute insult to the powers that would help me take control of what used to be mine. No, what I want, I want for the both of our countries to join as one. Wyke no longer needs to hold barriers and breaches, defended against Magonsaete... And trade could spread from one end of the plains to all the states Wyke holds rule over... It's a bright, beautiful dream, isn't it?"

"Of course," she said, letting her happy expression fade a bit, and relieving her grasp on Naiman's hand, "it's just a dream. Even making it to Wyke, is far loftier than any could imagine. I'm not going to give up, nor consider giving up, not once... As long as I have people willing to come with me and my decisions, then there's a hope for it, isn't there? Still... I wanted to ask you, because I think you're truly fit to rule." Cass chuckled just a moment, but not in jest, she didn't want to give Naiman the wrong impression. Turning around, facing the wall, Cass tried to spin things as pleasantly as she could.

"You're... Easily angered. If I had to say anything of your faults, you take to the defense quite quickly, but, you're young. I'm young... It makes sense, really, and of your faults, I can't find any other. If that's all you have to work through, to realize everything else you bring-- your strength, your determination, this aura of leadership you wear as you walk. You showed up immediately to Uuliinyagaantsetseg's plight, you didn't hesitate to do what you could for her, so that she would no longer be alone... Something I think you would be willing to do for any of your fellow man, that needed your help. And that... That wonderful mixture of selflessness, pride, and strength, that makes for a good leader. Even now, not once have you fled in the face of all these magics and this talk of Gods and Demons... Perhaps there is one better suited out there on the plains for this highest of positions, but whether there is or not doesn't matter. You are here. You are more than enough of a leader for your people, more than Astaroth, more than Uuliinyagaantsetseg..."

Turning back with a brighter smile, Cass couldn't help herself a giggle. "You're exactly what Magonsaete needs. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, Son of Altan, Great Chieftain of the plains of Magonsaete. It sounds great, doesn't it?" There was one issue with things, but Cass hoped it would go through, despite things. "I would only ask that if we do this... If all of us manage to, somehow, succeed, take control of the south, and save my home... That when I give the reins to you, so that you may lead as is needed... That we rule together. It does not have to be out of love, I do not expect either of us to be harboring such feelings so soon... Much as I appreciate you for, a multitude of reasons, even I can't claim something so strong, but... A unified front, between the Queen of Wyke, and the 'King', of Magonsaete. What do you think?"

The hand grab had been unexpected, as was the sheer giddiness of the reaction. Even though Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had managed to predict the general theme--that the princess was intending to offer her rule over the plains, following their successful campaign--the explanation behind her desire and the level of emotion attached to it had fallen outside her calculations. For someone whose aim was to tear down her own country and build afresh, the plainswoman had guessed the princess may have been considering something similar for the fate of Magonsaete after she'd finished with it. Reorganizing it as a vassal territory, perhaps, with a trusted native to govern its day-to-day while she was focused on Wyke proper. To hear her dreaming of something far more co-equal...

The hands around her own were warm, firm, caring. The girl was honest, excited, and getting far ahead of herself. That much was plain to see. But was that really such a bad thing? Before she could think to give a squeeze back though, Sandy had released Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's hand and turned away from her. A curious move, was she embarrassed? Nervous maybe? From someone who had been so playfully joking around just moments ago when she'd been pinned, that seemed unlikely. Was she hiding something? Didn't want Naimanzuunnadintsetseg to read the expression on her face as she continued to discuss the offer?

...No, it was more likely she was just choosing to avoid the scowl that crossed the plainswoman's face as she started in on some criticism, though it was thankfully brief before turning to praise. A curious way to handle this all, but... Naimanzuunnadintsetseg couldn't deny it was having a positive effect. She may have been more inclined to false humility, to vocally denying her virtues, had they not been saved for after mention of a flaw or two. Soon enough she was nodding along, a thoughtful smile taking the place of the earlier frown. This was not just a whim of the princess. Of the options currently available, she was not only the best fit, but a good one, even.

Still... would the rest of the clans accept her? It was all well and good for Sandy to offer, but the prize wasn't hers to give. Before she could voice that objection though, the princess had one more outlandish suggestion, which shut down pretty much all thought while Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's brain cells scrambled to come to grips.

"You wish... to be my queen?" She echoed, still a little dumbfounded, a flush rising to her cheeks. Granted, the other woman had laid out the provision that love need not play a part in the union, as was altogether common of political marriages--earth and sky knew it had been wholly absent from her own short-lived one. But... to even go that far in the first place? Yes, she needed the help, needed the hordes of Magonsaete to liberate her home, so there was sense to it, but...

"There would be no heirs, whether we were to try or not," Naimanzuunnadintsetseg thought aloud, buying a little more time to fully come to peace with the concept. "But if your people's concerns about succession could be sated, I am certain the people of the plains could gather around their own alternative..."

This was it. This was the way to power. This was what she'd been looking for. So why was she hesitating? Swallowing somewhat audibly, she nodded and reached out a hand. "If I've understood what you are offering, and if we can manage what we hope to, and still stand each other's company by the end... then yes. Let us manage the aftermath side by side."

Goodness, was she blushing? So much for all that stoicism, there was definitely quite the kind spirit hidden underneath all of this, wasn't there? Cass listened, attentive, not wanting to miss a beat. Naiman seemed more than interested, almost happy. Was she happy? Cass didn't really know, she just wanted to hear...

"Let us manage the aftermath side by side."

It was like a wave, rising through her whole body, bristling to the top and washing over her, the calm, at ease face she presented something she'd thought lost through these struggles. That she could show such comfort, and having finally eased her way into this woman's good graces, it was quite a bit to handle, all considered, as Cass tried to speak and found words getting lost between themselves, trying to come out of her mouth, stumbling over each other, as the tears finally won over them.

"I... I-I thought you'd, say no..." She wiped at her eyes immediately, it was too early to be so happy, so content, so pleased with the situation, but beneath the tears was a smile so genuine it almost hurt to wear. "I'm sorry. I'm happy, I'm sorry, it's just... A lot, I've... I've gone through so much, you know? And to finally make it back, to some level where I believe that I have a future, a real, visible way forward... It's a lot. Just... A moment, please..." It took her that whole moment, eyes buried against her arm for the time, until she managed to cover those feelings up again, hide them as she had before, enough to remain stable.

The smile bled through, nonetheless. "Whether or not with you, were I to rule Wyke, I would have no heir. Not by blood, in any case. I could never see myself laying with a man... None save yourself, perhaps, but it's as you say, were we to ever try. If my vision comes true, Wyke will no longer need to be led by royal families, or the oldest heir... Let whoever is most worth the rule have it. Let the people decide who they wish to lead them. What good is royalty if it fails to do what it is supposed to?"

That was a bit too philosophical for the moment, Cass unable to hold her bursting smile back any further, finding the sight of Naiman ever more appealing, the longer she stared. "Truly, you have blessed me, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg. Though we have been at odds, for a bit... From here on out, I want nothing more than to be your friend. Truly... You've made me so... So..." She could feel the tears riding their way back up... Cass lurched forward and caught Naiman in a hug, if only to hide her face. Perhaps the woman could feel the small trickle on her shoulder, but Cass needed this much.

"Thank you, so much..."

Sandy's words betrayed a much greater depth of issues than Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had been made aware of were at play for the woman. But with how little of her history had been volunteered, nor previously having felt she was in position to pry, that was only natural. Now however? Watching the girl hide her eyes in her elbow--crying or trying not to, no doubt--drove home the point even further. The plainswoman had lost her tribe, yes. But the princess too was certainly suffering losses as well. She wouldn't have been in the position of needing to retake her country if she weren't, after all.

At any rate, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's answer had been the correct one, both for herself, and apparently for the princess--her future queen. That was going to take some time to get used to, to adjust to this new way of thinking about her. Minor hurdles would be easily overcome, though. The issue of succession clearly hadn't been of concern either, the woman obviously having thought that through before making her offer. Her utter refusal to consider any relation with men was a little curious, but not wholly unrelatable. The caveat she'd snuck in there though, that had warmed Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's heart. It had been difficult to tell whether Sandy's apparently willingness to have come on board--calling her 'Son of Altan' and the like--had been serious or jest. But this? The exception as she laid it out right there? Spoke volumes. She was being taken seriously. That meant a lot.

And so when the woman had burst forward and hugged her, the plainswoman found herself pleased to reciprocate. Feeling the fall of liquid sorrow upon her shoulder, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg went a step further, and gently twined her fingers through the other woman's hair, soothingly beginning to brush it with her hand. "I do not know the full brunt of the pain you've borne. But, with fortune's favor, your story may yet have a happy ending. And I will listen, should you chose to share it."

"Not now... Later, I promise, but if I return to those memories right now... I won't be able to have the strength I need to continue. Once we have time to rest. Once we have some form of success here on the plains... I'll tell you anything you want to know. For now..." Naiman was so warm... It was a painful memory, but getting to feel this comfort again, it was something she'd expected so far away from now, or perhaps never again. Cass sank just a bit closer, tightening her hug ever so slightly.

"Forgive me for being greedy... If it doesn't bother you, can we stay like this... For a little while longer?"

Travel after being stuck in that cave for so long was more welcome than Cass had expected, especially with it being so smooth. Despite the rains, they didn't run into much trouble, their wagon running along without issue. They'd begun using Hiero's wyvern to pull it, it seemed to have quite the odd attachment to Cass, despite not having ever seen her before this, and listened with little issue. Unnerving, but useful, as it meant Astaroth's horse didn't need to be untangled for any battle they could chance upon... Such as this one.

Getting this far without issue was lucky enough, they had to get into a fight at some point. Cass was rather amused by Aurelio's comments, unsure of where he'd gotten that impression. "A sword is only as good as the person wielding it. The bandits of Magonsaete lack coordination, but they are by no means weak. Wyke was simply lucky that no one tried to rally them thus far. You'll see how effective they are once rallied under the same cause. Strategy and tactics combined with a hefty instrument make for a rather fearsome effect." She hoped, at least. If there was one thing she regretted leaving Owen for, it was that he'd not had the time to teach her proper tactics and strategy. Some of it came naturally from experience, some motions in a fight made perfect sense, but on the grander scheme of things... Cass would need a rather cunning tactician to make the most of all these men.

Thought aside, some of them were approaching, and providing good information. "Chief Hera, is it? We've our own chief, I'd like to see how well yours handles themselves." Graham seemed convinced they'd be fighting it all out here, perhaps he was right. Perhaps...

"We should see if we can dismantle their leadership. We've simply been running through every group we clash with without a second thought... If this Chief Hera is promising them so much, and we take her out of the picture, maybe we'll have made a few more friends... Or at least some lackeys. To arms, everyone!"

Cass deploys at 4,3~

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Alain shook his head. "A sound idea, but you're missing the point here Cassandra. Look," he said, pointing to the distant building across the river bank. "Their stronghold is up ahead, but the path is collapsed. That bastard is telling the truth. They really have been expecting us for a while, else the bridge would still be up," he muttered. "Somebody has been keeping tabs on us for a while. And I don't like the sound of that at all," he added. He wanted to ask just who exactly might have tipped Hera off, but even the thought of expecting an answer was laughable. They'd have to sort it out after the battle. If it turns out to be Hiero, I swear...

"I know Sylvia has quite the experience with aquatic combat, but I'd rather not try swimming across. We'll have to go around in that case, but that means we're doing exactly as they want. Keep your wits about you--everyone. Even the smallest of spiders can catch the largest of prey if they've already spun a web. We'll worry about diplomacy once we've thinned out their numbers a bit," he said, bringing out his tome. 

"Kelbara, to me." He beckoned the female mage to his side. She'd been fairly reserved for the duration of their travel, and while he didn't exactly have a problem with her aloof nature, he wasn't keen on letting her wander as she pleased during the battle. Best to keep her in vision--at least until he could asses her abilities. She'd been the only cultist Dumah had spared them. If she turned out to be as self-presumptuous as Morganna, he was going to be severely disappointed. "You four will bring up the rear," he said, pointing to Aurelio and the three natives. 

"Thugs or no, you don't win wars by underestimating the opponent."

Alain deploys at 5,4

Kelbara deploys at 5,3

Sebastian deploys at 3,4

Graham deploys at 4,4

Graham 'borrows' Aurelio's Steel Axe. Maybe his vulnerary too if Aurelio's extra generous. They're both Wykian's, so it's all cool. Right? 

Astaroth looked to Barry and Paul. "Do as Alain says. I can't lose either of you. Stay close to one another. Let us hope this battle ends quickly, or else we may very quickly end up being set upon by the South. Go, now. We cannot have our rear exposed." Astaroth looked at his horse. "You look like you could jump a mountain. Ready to fight?" The horse shook it's head and snorted. "I thought so. You weren't the only one trapped in that cave for days. Let's give the Aega a fight they won't soon forget. " Astaroth never had much problem with Aega before this, but it seemed this had more to do with Princess Cassandra herself than it ever had to do with him and the Asaria. This is bad.  The Aega never had any ambition like this before. What changed? Why have they set this trap? We have to find out what is going on, before it's too late.

Astaroth deploys to 3,2

"I s'pose it's about t'be expected we wouldn't get too far without seein' more trouble." Sylvia noted under her breath as the ambush laid by the local brigands came into view. This was the path they had chosen, after all... one of hardship and potential glory, instead of sitting at the sideline. Well, here came their hardship in spades.

"All y'all're lucky though. Sitting around that long with nothin' t'do but tinker with my Culverin... I gots a great show for ye." The privateer continued, a bit louder this time, pulling her piece from it's holster. At a glance, it certainly looked... different. Modifications to the revolving chamber and barrel, and re-aligned iron sights. Granted, Sylvia wasn't sure if anyone had paid it enough attention to notice, but a few test shots had her more than confident in the upgrades.

Sylvia deploys at 5.2

Naiman deploys at 3,3

A few things had settled down since that rough first day in the caves, but Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had settled into an uneasy peace with the cultists, and something of a bit more familiar nature with other members of the party.

Events back on the road, however, dictated that the path to their goal would be far from simple. Loosening her knife in its sheath and readying her bow to be drawn quickly, the plainswoman tried to keep an open eye for any chance to maybe leverage something, sway a less convinced member maybe, find and talk to Her a, perhaps. She had to do her part to bring the might of the plains to unity behind their cause.

"Uuliinyagaantsetseg, take care. Things may get messy."

"Er... I... I suppose, you're right." Cass pouted, despite their situation, being corrected so easily by Alain. You're being too optimistic. Things won't work out that easily just because you wish for them to... My talk with Naiman is weighing far too heavily on me. Alain is right. I will not be able to talk everyone out of this. "To arms, then! We thin their herd!" She'd practiced her spells, she'd spent time with her swords, and this whole ordeal had steeled her enough to continue. It was time to see how much it was worth.

Cass to 4,6, Gaffney Sword the bandit on 4,7

Cass moves to 4,6!

Cass attacks Brigand #5 with her Gaffney Sword!
17 Atk, 100% Hit, 12% Crit, 32% Astra
(61 16 37)
Cass deals 17 damage! (20/37 HP remaining)
Brigand #5 attacks back!
13 Atk, 21% Hit, 0% Crit 
(32 9)
Miss!

Cass gains 8 XP!
Cass gains 1 Sword WEXP!

Alain moves to 5,5!

Alain casts Balor on Brigand #1!
27 Atk, 100% Hit, 17% Crit
(90 4)
At least Hell's warm!

Alain gains 20 XP!
Alain gains 2 Tomes WEXP!

Astaroth moves to 7,3!

Astaroth attacks Brigand #2 with his Killer Bow
25 Atk, 84% Hit, 38% Crit, 17% Adept
(24 93)
Astaroth deals 25 damage! (13/38 HP remaining)
(34)
Brigand #2 throws his Hand Axe!
14 Atk, 51% Hit, 0% Crit
(50 76)
Astaroth takes 14 damage! (24/38 HP remaining)

Astaroth gains 8 XP!
Astaroth gains 1 Bow WEXP!

Edited by Shin

Well, time to test it out in earnest, then. Spotting a brigand nearby with a relatively intimidating hammer in his grip, Sylvia decided he would be a decent first test. Better to engage someone like that from range anyway. Moving into range and quickly double-tapping the trigger of her revolver, Sylvia eagerly waited for the result.

Sylvia moves to 8,2 and attacks Brigand 1 with Culverin