Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

Sylvia moves to 8,2!

Sylvia attacks Brigand #1 with her Culverin Revolver!
22 Atk, 100% Hit, 23% Crit, 21% Adept
(49 10)
Kablammo!

Sylvia gains 20 XP!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they were off. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg pushed ahead, taking up position recently vacated by a deceased enemy to press the attack to good advantage. With a little luck, the group would clear enough space for breathing room, letting them figure out their next steps with a little more leisure.

Naiman moves to (6,6) and attacks the Sword Mercenary with her steel bow.

Graham moves to (5,7) attacks Brigand #5 with Steel Axe

Kelbara moves to (7,5) attacks Brigand #2 with Balor 

Sebastian moves to (7,4) trade-equips Astaroth with his Steel Sword, heals Astaroth

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg moves to 6,6!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg attacks Mercenary #2 with her Steel Bow!
18 Atk, 93% Hit, 15% Crit, 33% Arrowrain
(97 48 48)
Miss!
(41 11)
Never mind!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 15 XP!
Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 2 Bow WEXP!

"Leave him to me, Cass!"

Graham moves to 5,7!

Graham attacks Brigand #5 with his Steel Axe!
24 Atk, 100% Hit, 1% Crit
(4 23)
All hail the Love King!

Graham gains 20 XP!
Graham gains 4 Axe WEXP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

"If I must."

Kelbara moves to 7,5!

Kelbara attacks Brigand #2 with Balor!
26 Atk, 90% Hit, 12% Crit
(87 53)
Dead!

Kelbara gains 20 XP!
Kelbara gains 2 Tome WEXP!

"Perhaps caution would be a suitable replacement for luck?"

Sebastian moves to 7,4!
Sebastian helps Astaroth equip his Steel Sword!
Sebastian heals Astaroth!
Sebastian gains 8 XP!
Sebastian gains 2 Staff WEXP!

ENEMY PHASE

Mercenary #1 moves to 8,1!

Mercenary #1 attacks Sylvia with his Steel Sword!
12 Atk, 60% Hit, 0% Crit
(29 28)
Sylvia takes 12 damage! (24/36 HP remaining)
Sylvia shoots back!
22 Atk, 100% Hit, 19% Crit, 21% Adept
(25 43)
Sylvia deals 22 damage! (13/35 HP remaining)
(67)

Sylvia gains 8 XP!
Brigand #2 attacks Cass with his Hand Axe!
(83 50)
He changes his mind!

Cass gains 5 XP!

Free Knight #1 moves to 7,7!
Free Knight #2 moves to 6,8!
Free Knight #3 moves to 7,8!
Free Knight #4 moves to 8,8!

Soldier #1 moves to 10,2!
Soldier #2 moves to 12,2!

Pirate #2 moves to 6,10!
Pirate #3 moves to 7,12!

Reinforcements spawn!

OTHER PHASE

Trevor casts Libro on Mercenary #1!
Mercenary #1 regains 16 HP!

Sylvia reloads!

Chapter 11B - Turn 2

e6228971bf7edb64d997013952bf264e.png

Spreadsheet

Cass' group were still surrounded, the plethora of the troops around them were a testament to the power of the tribe. Graham looked ahead at the bridge, the incoming ruffians only adding to the situation. "That bridge looks broken, like there's parts missing. How long did they have to set up this trap?" Graham exclaimed,  the path ahead having become rather complicated.  He looked back to his butler, hoping that his cunning servant had some sort of solution. "That flying guy would have been useful... he chose a really good time to go missing. Sebastian, do you think you could fix it?"

"Carpentry is unfortunately not one of my primary talents, it is unlikely that I would be able to construct a bridge single-handedly." Sebastian replied, lowering his staff. "It may be wiser to consider our options when we both have the necessary pieces and are not at risk of being assaulted by the natives."

Edited by Shin

The princess's retainers were certainly correct, there was no way they would be just juryrigging a replacement bridge; not under threat of combat and not without supplies to work with. "I agree. It's not a priority, not compared to surviving, but we should keep an eye out whenever able to steal a spare moment," she piped up and added her assessment. "That gap seems too clean for wanton destruction, foolhardy though that would have been--crippling their access just to waylay us as we were passing through. Maybe they've stowed something somewhere, to fix it after they were done with us." Likely as not, fairly far removed from the site of the crossing, but one never knew.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg fought back a groan as the unpleasant facts were starting to settle in. If the stronghold across the way had been planning on using this trap more than just the once, the bridge itself should've been built with that in mind. Maybe it was, and she just couldn't tell from her current position, but the other option was even more unsettling. Someone would have had to have tipped them off to their particular arrival, and the Aegans had deemed the news of enough importance to go very much out of their way to entrap them. ...Too many unanswered questions.

Following her own advice and sprinting up, taking a quick moment to search the foe her arrows had skewered--looking for maybe a key or a device or something--and finding nothing, the plainswoman darted swiftly backward as the squad on horses approached. Another glance around informed that their line had held, and their position was as well protected as could be hoped for in an ambush like this, so Naimanzuunnadintsetseg placed her trust in her companions to continue to back her up, as she pulled out more arrows for the newly arriving foes. "These horses of theirs could prove trouble, with so much mobility. Let us deprive them of that asset."

Naiman moves to 6,7 fires her Steel Bow at the Free Knight at point 7,8

Edited by Balcerzak

It seems she had overestimated the opponent, or perhaps overestimated her aim. Either way, the first shot from her Culverin had been enough to deprive the brigand of his head with little delay. The swordsman who followed him up was a bit more adept, managing to land a glancing blow at the privateer's flank before receiving a shot in retaliation... this one not quite as lethal, giving one of the man's allies, who seemed to be able to heal from afar, an opening to close the wound somewhat. The man was still injured, but seemed sturdy enough at that point to take another body blow, and aiming for the head with her revolver against an opponent in melee was always a risk. Perhaps it was best to regroup for now. Loosing a warning shot to dissuade a strike at her back as she regrouped, Sylvia loaded more rounds into Culverin as she reached the rest of their line, pointing the reloaded weapon at one of the approaching horsemen with a rather mean looking blade, and taking the shot.

"Aye, one of 'em can heal his mates from afar. Try t'finish off who y'can insteada woundin' 'em, so they can't get 'em fixed up and back in the fray." Sylvia also noted, to whoever would listen.

Sylvia to 6,6, shoot Free Knight 1 with Culverin

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg moves to 6,7!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg attacks Free Knight #3 with her Steel Bow!
19 Atk, 100% Hit, 16% Crit, Arrowrain 33%
(40 95 7)
(16 34 75)
So dead.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 13 XP!
Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 3 Bow WEXP!

Sylvia moves to 6,6!

Sylvia shoots at Free Knight #1 with her Culverin!
22 Atk, 100% Hit, 21% Crit, 31% Adept
(26 0)
Bang!

Sylvia gains 13 XP!

"I wonder how many will be left for Cass to recruit?"

Graham moves to 7,8!

Graham attacks Free Knight #2 with his Javelin!
21 Atk, 95% Hit, 0% Crit
(32 68)
Graham deals 21 damage! (16/37 HP remaining)
Free Knight #2 strikes back!
2 Atk, 68% Hit, 3% Crit
(75 56)
Graham dodges!

Graham gains 8 XP!
Graham gains 1 Lance WEXP!

Astaroth moves to 3,6!

Astaroth attacks Brigand #3 with his Steel Sword!
24 Atk, 100% Hit, 10% Crit, 17% Adept
(28 64)
Astaroth deals 24 damage! (14/38 HP remaining)
(29)
Brigand #3 attacks back!
12 Atk, 45% Hit, 1% Crit
(47 83)
Miss!

Astaroth gains 8 XP!
Astaroth gains 1 Sword WEXP!

"We'll have time to fix the bridge when we aren't being harried by these fools! Much as I'd like to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, today is not that day." Cass grit her teeth, not for any pain, but to hide a smile. She was starting to have fun, with the fight and adrenaline running through her body. I can't be like this, anymore. This isn't a game, Cass...

"Thanks for the assist, Graham! My turn!"

Cass to 5,8, give the cav the ol' Gaff(ney sword)

Is this their plan? All that preparation just to end up throwing bodies at us one after the other? Could he chalk it up to gross negligence on the part of Hera, or was he somehow missing the bigger picture? 

Alain moves to (6,8) and imprisons Free Knight #4 with Balor. 

if Sebastian did not attack earlier

Sebastian to (5,6) heal Sylvia

"If it rids the world of another fool, I shall comply."

Kelbara attacks Brigand #3 with Balor!
27 Atk, 95% Hit, 14% Crit
(9 14)
Dead!

Kelbara gains 17 XP!
Kelbara gains 2 Tome WEXP!

Cass moves to 5,8!

Cass attacks Free Knight #2 with Gaffney Sword!
16 Atk, 100% Hit, 9% Crit, 32% Astra
(7 17 94)
Dead!

Cass gains 13 XP!
Cass gains 2 Sword WEXP!

Alain moves to 6,8!

Alain casts Balor on Free Knight #4!
25 Atk, 96% Hit, 13% Crit
(42 48)
(58 99)
Dead!

Alain gains 13 XP!
Alain gains 3 Tome WEXP!

"Self preservation and articulation must be related skills, no?"

Sebastian moves to 5,6!
Sebastian heals Sylvia!
Sebastian gains 8 XP!

ENEMY PHASE

Soldier #1 moves to 10,7!
Soldier #2 moves to 10,5!
Soldier #3 moves to 16,7!

Bishop moves to 5,14!

Bishop attacks Cass with Meteor Shower!
(4)
Cass is the target!
16 Atk, 43% Hit, 0% Crit
(12 76)
Cass takes 16 damage! (24/40 HP remaining)

Cass gains 5 XP!

Ranger moves to 10,9!

Ranger attacks Graham with the Perso Bow!
6 Atk, 58% Hit, 4% Crit
(80 48)
44)
Miss!
(81 15)
(29)
Also miss!

Graham gains 5 XP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

Ranger cantos to 13,10!

Free Knight #5 moves to 8,8!

Free Knight #5 attacks Graham with his Killing Edge!
4 Atk, 63% Hit, 34% Crit
(80 35)
(35)
He's untouchable!
Graham strikes back!
20 Atk, 100% Hit, 0% Crit
(52 23)
Graham deals 20 damage! (16/36 HP remaining)
Free Knight #5 tries again!
(96 44)
(2)
The salt is real!

Graham gains 8 XP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

Free Knight #5 cantos to 8,9!

Pirate #2 moves to 6,9!

Pirate #2 attacks Alain with his Steel Axe!
15 Atk, 53% Hit, 0% Crit
(87 47)
The bandits here really suck!
Alain fires back with Balor!
29 Atk, 57% Hit, 14% Crit
(26 91)
Ouch! 29 damage! (7/36 HP remaining)
(78 16)
But he lives to tell the tale!

Alain gains 8 XP!
Alain gains 2 Tome WEXP!

Pirate #3 moves to 7,9!

Pirate #3 attacks Graham with his Killer Axe!
7 Atk, 74% Hit, 45% Crit
(60 10)
(59)
Graham takes 21 damage! (28/49 HP remaining)
Graham stabs back!
21 Atk, 77% Hit, 0% Crit
(61 63)
Graham deals 21 damage! (14/35 HP remaining)
Pirate #3 attacks again!
(82 34)
(38)
Dodge!

Graham gains 8 XP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

Mercenary #1 moves to 6,6!

OTHER PHASE

Trevor moves to 16,5!
Trevor uses Libro on Mercenary #1!

Enemy reinforcements spawn!
Sylvia reloads!

Chapter 11B - Turn 3

e29fac1476dc1a0dc1cf0e77d97a5bea.png

Spreadsheet

"Cass! Are you OK?" Graham called out, the smell of smoke from the bishop's spell distracting him momentarily from the enemies around him. "They're driving us into a corner, we need to break through ... maybe one of their commanders knows something about the bridge. There's no way they just broke it, then they wouldn't be able to use it!" 

"Your ponderings may be along the right track, Master Graham... but I would prioritise survival before you consider how to best cross water." Sebastian added, his staff ready to aid his injured master. "It is a shame we lack an individual with the ability to pass over such a river, one with ideally two hands would have been sufficient... but then I would have to question whether said individual would have the cognition to provide a solution. Removing the commanders is likely our best approach."

The thugs on the riverbank brandished their axes, particularly intent on carving through the likes of Alain and Graham. "The boss wants us to show what we can do. People like you have no right to go parading around our country like yer own it. We'll show yer what Magonsaete is really about."

Wasn't this going too well? They'd all definitely been keeping up with their skills and Cass herself, practicing with spells and her sword training, but all of this was going swimmingly. She didn't want to have to kill everyone here, though, at this rate...

Thoughts were quite easily disrupted, the fickle things, as Cass felt hers leaving at the sudden impact of a raging ball of fire. Perhaps there was a time such an action would've elicited a shrill cry, but Cass grit her teeth and focused through it. She'd been hit with worse.

"Is that all you've got you fourth rate mage!? Breakfast has burnt me worse than you!" She didn't know if he could hear, stationed across the water as he was, but it made the pain easier to deal with, barking out her comebacks. "I-I'm fine, Graham! Good work, you're doing exceptionally... Keep up as much as you can." He's right, though. A small bit of retreat to take care of things wouldn't hurt our chances.

L'appel Du Vide

"Damn, what was that?!" Alain cried out, whipping his head around to catch sight of the airborne inferno barreling through the sky. Wasn't magic supposed to be a foreign concept among the tribes of Magonsaete? With access to such potent siege-range magic, the whole bridge debacle was starting to make a little more sense. He disengaged from his battle and hurried over to Cassandra to assess her wounds. Luckily she seemed unabated, though he should have figured as much. It wasn't the first time she'd drawn such a blaze to herself--an expert now, by all accounts. Still, for all her posturing, another hit like that was liable to take her out for the count.

"Everyone, fall back and tighten the formation!" he commanded, motioning away from the riverbank. It was hard to keep track of what sort of magic the enemy might be equipped with but if they all had access to the same long range magic things could get out of hand. That being said, it was easy enough to position around so long as they were stationed across the water. And if that was the extent of Hera's plan, he wasn't impressed. 

"I think so far all you've shown me is that you're quite adept at bleeding. Now it's my turn to show you something. You can try again in your next life," he taunted, turning and leaving the pirate at the mercy of his wounds. He returned to Kelbara's side, offering the woman a slight bit of praise before revealing to her his intentions. "You've done well so far, color me impressed. There's something I'd like to do--I'm sure you're already aware. None are to disturb me, neither friend nor foe. Make certain of it," he ordered, flicker of mischief twinkling in his eyes. 

Trusting that Kelbara would leave him undisturbed, he began setting-up the necessary components for his ritual. He'd progressed fairly rapidly in the past week or so, but his method was still primitive at best. Against Malaphar, he was still lacking, but he felt better equipped to contend with the sorcerer now more than ever. After all, Malaphar had lived how many lifetimes? Alain began to smirk. Give me a hundred years, and I'd destroy you on my own.  

He brought out a dagger from his garb, and an ember sprung to life beneath his feet. The fire consumed his blood with rapacious desire, spreading out and emblazoning a myriad of runic inscriptions upon the earth. The lines began to ebb a warm blue light, belying the true nature of the magic that served as it's driving force.   

"I am the vessel who calls to the void,
favored by the sovereign of the abyss,
... ... ...

you who grip the hearts of man,
you who are shades with no shadow,
... ... ...
feast upon my offerings,

quench your sanguine thirst,
... ... ...
manifest in the image of my desire,
submit to chains unyielding,
... ... ...
to dust you have withered,
from dust you shall return,

... ... ...
emerge from the circle of binding,
and let the call of the herald ring true."

Upon the utterance of his final word, the ground began to rumble, and a black miasma sprung forth engulfing him in momentary darkness. Without so much as a word, the fog began to take a life of its own, swirling and contracting into a form that resembled a featureless apparition. He stepped back, content with the results of his dark deed. This was but a taste of what was to come, and soon the fruits of his labor would lay bare for all to behold. 

"You are granted permission to appear before me." 

Alain moves to (4,4) and Summons a spooky-scary-skeleton (axe) on (4,3)
Graham moves to (2,7)

Edited by Vestige

Well, things had gotten all the more wacky, quite suddenly. Cassandra was struck by what looked like a bloody meteorite, which seemed to be the work of a mage, and Alain called for a regroup, before... summoning an animated skeleton? The bloody hell was that?

"Yer sure that thing be on our side, right? Just makin' sure." Sylvia noted, as she moved to regroup, ending up just behind the burly armoured fighter, Graham, who appeared to be bringing up the rear.

"Aye, Graham. Try usin' this, iffin yer gonna be playin' rear guard." The privateer noted, handing him a lance she had been using. It seemed a bit better suited than what he had going on at present.

Sylvia to 2,6, trade equip the Partisan to Graham

"Quite the impressive show, Alain. Don't worry, Sylvia. If he meant to do us in, he would've taken his chances before I even entered Magonsaete. You can trust whatever he brings about." It was fantastic magic, that was for sure. A monster at his beck and call... What truly interesting things the cult of Belial conjured up. Cass took a moment to settle herself behind Graham, checking him over... And groaning with a scoff.

"You worry about me, when you're just as beat up. Please, take care of yourself, Graham. I can't afford to lose you." For more than a few reasons, at this point. His affections were troublesome, but his friendship beyond that, and his use in battle, were beyond compare. If Cass lost him, alongside everything else... There'd be little to cling onto past ambition.

"Sebastian, to me, while I take care of his wounds. Much as I'd rather not admit, that spell took me by surprise."

Cassandra to (1,7) heal Graham

Sebastian to (1,6) heal Cass

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It was well that Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had had that talk with Alain back at the cultist caves, else the summoning ritual he just pulled off might've had a lot poorer repercussions from her end. As it was, she merely grimaced, and focused on making this a fighting retreat, rather than an all out loss as the the call came out to regroup and lick their wounds. She had yet to suffer herself, so it shouldn't be too risky... Then again, she thought as she released her arrows, the fire spell from afar was certainly unnerving. Just who--or what--had the Aegan clansmen sold themselves to in exchange for that? She clucked her tongue in disapproval, and made a waving gesture to the other chief of the plains currently traveling amidst the group. If willing, his horse ought be able to ferry them both out of harm's way, no worse for wear.

"Best we play it a little safer till we've worked out the full extent of their range, I suppose. Mind if I hitch a short ride as we fall back?"

Naiman moves to 6,6 fires her Steel Bow at the myrmidon

Being on a horse definitely gave Astaroth an advantage. It didn't seem to him the situation was quite as hopeless at it seemed. Still, he preferred everyone to still be okay. He rode next to Naiman and patted his saddle. "Let us pull back for the moment, take some pressure off." He waited for her to mount up so they could fall back to a more defensible position.

Astaroth moves to (5,6), Rescues Naiman, and Cantos to (2,5).

Edited by Hylian Air Force
I was steered wrong smh

Alain moves to 4,4!

Alain summons an Axe Skeleton!
Alain loses 3HP! 

"You can summ-... nevermind."

Graham moves to 2,7!
Sylvia moves to 2,6!
Sylvia helps Graham equip his Partisan!

Cass moves to 1,7!
Cass heals Graham!
Cass gains 8 XP!
Cass gains 2 Staff WEXP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

"Of course, Princess Cassandra. I could tell from the smell of singed hair."

Sebastian moves to 1,6!
Sebastian heals Cass!
Sebastian gains 8 XP!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg moves to 6,6!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg attacks Mercenary #1 with her Steel Bow!
18 Atk, 91% Hit, 10% Crit, 33% Arrowrain
(15 5)
Nevermind!

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 10 XP!
Naimanzuunnadintsetseg gains 2 Bow WEXP!

Astaroth moves to 5,6!
Astaroth rescues Naimanzuunnadintsetseg!
Astaroth cantos to 2,5!

"Such crude tactics."

Kelbara equips Nosferatu!
Kelbara drops Naimanzuunnadintsetseg onto 3,4!

ENEMY PHASE

Soldier #1 moves to 5,7!
Soldier #2 moves to 5,5!
Soldier #3 moves to 11,7!
Soldier #4 moves to 11,2!

Free Knight #5 moves to 3,7!

Free Knight #5 attacks Graham with his Killing Edge!
3 Atk, 82% Hit, 34% Crit
(36)
(88 58)
Miss!
Graham strikes!
23 Atk, 100% Hit, 0% Crit
(50 7)
Hit! Graham deals 23 damage! (9/36 HP remaining)
Dead!

Graham gains 13 XP!
Graham gains 2 Lance WEXP!
Graham gains 1 LEXP!

Free Knight #6 moves to 7,7!

Pirate #2 moves to 6,11!
Pirate #3 moves to 5,8!

Other Phase

Trevor moves to 16,6!

No reinforcements spawn!

CHAPTER 11B - TURN 4

8df6dc759b4a1db51a6b36f4cc936fae.png

SPREADSHEET

Edited by Shin

• 2 weeks later...

At a glance, their position certainly seemed to be improved. They weren't over the bridge yet... both figuratively and literally, but they retained a relatively defensible line, and the opposing numbers were dwindling as they crashed ineffectually into their formation. Just a bit more, and they could take a proper offensive... so long as their rank remained unfettered, that is.

"Aye, Kelbara, was it? Alain be lookin' a tad weathered after conjurin' that thing. Think ye could give 'im a look over? Oi'll take care'a that bastard nearby t'cover ye!" Sylvia noted, as she moved into position, leveling her Culverin at the lancer, before depressing the trigger.

Kelbara to 6,5, Mend Alain

Sylvia to 6,4, attack Soldier 2 with Culverin