Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

"Well if she's awake, I suppose it's as good a sign as any," Alain chimed in, quite impressed with what Sebastian had been able to manage. "If she's stable, we should see about moving her to Hera's fort soon. I doubt we'll be beset by any more band--er, tribes, but either way it would behoove us to remain cautious whilst we're still licking our wounds," he suggested, turning turning to address Astaroth who had just arrived carrying a... peculiar item to say the least.

There was a certain urgency in his voice that both worried, and intrigued Alain. But with Sebastian seeming to have a good grip on the situation, and with Kelbara on stand-by, he saw no reason to refuse his request. 

"Very well, let us be off then," he said, allowing Astaroth to lead. "Someone send for me if the situation turns dire. I may not be versed in the curative arts, but perhaps I can pluck a few flowers from beyond the veil if need be," he said with a chuckle.  

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astaroth took Alain to the edge of the camp, still well within sight of people, but away from the ears of both Kelbara and the princess. "What I'm about to say will probably shock you. Engel... spoke to me. I knew he was able to, but to think that he would even deign to speak to me... But it wasn't for any sacred duty, at least it didn't start out that way. I have done a terrible thing in striking the priest that hurt Naiman. However, I still live, somehow, probably because I told him why. I told him of Malaphar, and how we were trying to kill him. To say he changed his mind would be an understatement. When he left, he left this at my side." Astaroth unsheathed the blade a small amount. It glowed gold, and he quickly sheathed it again. "That's what I was afraid of. It wasn't glowing before, but knowing the relationship between your God and mine, I don't think it was meant as a peace offering."

Astaroth looked directly at Alain. "Engel said my actions carve the path. That was the last thing he said to me, before giving me this. The path I want to take is one of peace, but all I've ever really known was violence, and that certainly isn't the path to peace. I can see what is, however, and it is power over words. You have that power, and so does the Princess, in some aspects, at least. I must have it, if the mistakes of this day are to be avoided in the coming days. If you will pardon this blade being in my possession, Sir Duhamel, I humbly ask that you teach me the way of words. I can read, and I can write, but beyond that, I don't have much in the way of knowledge. I know how to survive, and the ways of war, but little else." Astaroth stood holding the blade behind him, pointed away from Alain. He hoped Alain would help him, even if he didn't have any reason to, especially after the recent revelations.

Suave Servant

Aurelio didn't say anything, Cass' sharp retort was message enough for him to know not to push further. He gave a shrug, returning to the campfire with Barry and Paul. Sebastian ushered Cass into the tent, giving her better access to her wounded ally. "I was surprised with the results myself, Princess. I had expected to be able to stabilise her condition but she has recovered remarkably well. Survival is indeed a useful trait to possess in a land such as Magonsaete." he replied, moving to give Cass more space. "I would recommend strongly against contact, unless you were intending to cause Miss Naimanzuunnadintsetseg a great deal of harm."

It seemed the Princess didn't rightfully know herself, moving back towards their makeshift camp in a hurry. Well, it was likely taken care of as well as it was going to be at this point... crowding them further wouldn't do any good. Despite Cassandra's parting words, it seemed few had yet made for the fortress, either loitering about or following her in the other direction.

"Hera, was it? Can ye walk proper, or d'ya need a hand?"

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's mind was hazy, almost smokey, as her eyelids fluttered open. The unflappable manservant from the princess's retinue was attending her, but that was all she could see for the moment. She tried to smile at his commentary, both for its self-effacing charm, as well as a slight, perhaps imagined, emphasis on how he'd been sure to use traditional medicine in addition to whatever else might he might have cooked up while she was out--probably meant to reassure her, whether or not it was true. The effort hurt, and she quickly stopped, though. For the better really, if the exhortation against moving and the warning about facial scarring was any indicator. A light nod of the head instead, to indicate her understanding, and the plainswoman had been about to close her eyes, to better focus on clearing away the clouds upon her thoughts, when Cassandra ducked into the tent, and quickly made her way to the bedside.

Worry was evident throughout her posture, and in the slight catches in her voice. Despite being told not to force anything, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg felt she had to speak at least a few words of reassurance. "I live," she managed slowly, painfully. "That is enough. Valuable lesson." Sebastian could, and did, cover the rest well enough.

Naiman's croak of life was all Cass needed to set her spirits high again, smiling and trying not to react too heavily. "Of course you do! Something like this, it wouldn't kill you. There's no way..." Cass simply nodded at Sebastian's comment about contact, she had no plans to be brusque about this, though... "There's a storm approaching, Sebastian. With Hera's surrender, we've access to her fort... I feel it would be a good place to gather, to get out of the weather, perhaps warm ourselves properly. Uhm... Is it possible to move her, without much more harm? I don't think it would be best for her to recuperate in a tent in the middle of a downpour..."

Cass couldn't help but continue her smile, hushing Naiman once again after she'd finished talking to Sebastian. "Thank you for what you managed to say. It brings me more comfort than you might know, but now... Please, no more talking," just in case the chieftain had more on her mind. "Once you're rested, we can talk properly. I... Have a lot I wish to say." Hopefully they would be able to discuss things within a day or so. Her wounds were heavy... But if she was already awake, Sebastian truly was a miracle worker.

"I thought there was something strange about that blade of yours," Alain muttered, eyeing the scabbard curiously. It was a decent enough blade on its own but if it was something Engel had sent to cut him down with, he had to wonder why it wasn't something more...  exciting? But the weapon itself wasn't what raised the most questions. What really intrigued him was that Engel had bothered communing with Astaroth at all. 

Alain let out an exasperated sigh, waving away the weapon. "I care not what manner of blade you wield in battle, but I would ask why I should bother myself with all of this? We may be comrades in arms, but do not make the mistake in thinking that I do not value my time," he said, a clear frown on his face. 

"Your intentions are noble, yes, but whatever inner turmoils you may face in light of your relation with Engel are not of my concern. What do I hope to gain by employing you in my tutelage, Chief of the Asarai?" 

Reunited and repaired

"It's good to see you making friends, Princess. After having killed so many of her tribe, you must have made a convincing case." Sebastian remarked, listening to Cass' warnings of the weather. "It should be safe to move her, slow and steady should mean fewer broken bones. As wonderful as residing within a tent would be, a more stable setting would better facilitate recovery. I can ask our allies to begin preparations to move, Mister Aurelio should be able to manage moving equipment. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance with Miss Naimanzuunnadintsetseg. I am unfamiliar with the weather patterns in Magonsaete, but I would estimate we have perhaps an hour."

-

That which stands

Hera chuckled, slowly rising to her feet after Sylvia's offer. "Do not think me so defeated that I cannot stand. Your ally may have won with their words but your pink haired friend was unable to cause me harm." she replied, giving the pirate a grin. "Although another few years and I would be old enough to be your mother. It seems not long ago that I was looking up to my tribe's elders for guidance, but now they all turn to me for hope. It will be difficult to explain that all of our fighters have perished... and now we are inviting their killers to stay among us."

Graham approached slowly, hoping to escape from Alain's undead servants and join another conversation. "I... uh, yeah. That's pretty awkward, maybe mentioning it would be a bad idea." he suggested, wincing as Nana continued to fly around him, screeching its horrible cry. 

Edited by Shin

"... She said I reminded her of someone. Someone that could only have been my father. What he was doing out here, I suppose I'll never know... But it was Alain that made a convincing argument. I was too full of rage to see anything other than her dead. Not anymore, but..." Cass sighed, there wasn't much else to say there. It had been an unfortunate scene, she was lucky to have so useful a vassal in her entourage. I'll have to give him proper thanks once everything is settled.

"Right, how are we going to move her? I'm more than willing to help, the battle hasn't left me tired enough to stand around. You lead, of course, and just tell me how best to hold her as to not make any of this worse."

"Surely you desire to make your peers envy you? How many outsiders could manage to get a Magonsaetan Warlord to not only learn, but want to learn? Few, if any. You can show that this land isn't the untamed wilderness of ages past, but a land ready to embrace the future, especially if Malaphar's machinations are disrupted." Astaroth paused briefly. "It does not have to be much of your time, as I cannot allow it to be much of mine,  as I have... responsibilities." Astaroth saw Barry and Paul standing about idly, but said nothing and turned back to Alain. " I'm sure you can find some way to turn this to your advantage. At the very least, I have spoken my desires. "

Astaroth cradled the blade in his arms and turned to leave, looking back at Alain. "Well, I'm off to do whatever has to be done around here, if anything. Consider all that has been said, and maybe you'll find a reason to care." Astaroth walked away, hoping Alain still had at least a modicum of respect for him.

"So long as y'can walk, that's what counts. Aye, that be a bit of a predicament though." Sylvia replied, placing her hand on her chin to ponder as Graham approached with his own piece.

"They'd notice that their men weren't comin' back mighty quick, I'd reckon. Even not sayin' it would only buy so much time... morbid as it seems, y'might be better off goin' straight with it. Saved who y'could at the end, and shame as it might be, talk of peace just came too damn late."

Evening of 24th May 812 - Aegan Clan Fort

The rain had come quickly, Cass and her group had barely enough time to relocate before it had grown heavy. The Aegan fort was a solid enough building, its stone walls were mostly complete and whatever breaches there were seemed reasonably easy to cover. An untidy collection of plants of questionable health surrounded the building, the Aegan clan had made some attempt at farming but it was likely their efforts had been unsuccessful. Hera didn't leave the group to linger too long, instead taking them inside and away from the rain.

"We all reside within the fort, it provides relief from nature's harshness. It is only a few months ago where we moved here, the building itself has been here for generations. We did not even consider using it as a home until last winter, the cold and winds were harsher than previous years... something has stirred mother nature." Hera announced, leading them into the main hall. Corridors lead off in different directions, cells lining them as they trailed into darkness. If anything the fort looked more like a converted prison, it wasn't too dissimilar to the one where Cass had met with Dettard when the fire occurred. "Our crops do not grow well, but these walls keep us safe from the other tribes. It is rare we make contact with outsiders, the priest across the river is one of the few we dealt with until that man came to us..."

"oH hIM. i rEMEMBER iT lIKE iT wAS yESTERDAY. hE sEEMED lIKE a nICE gUY uNTIL wE kILLED hIM. tHEN hE wAS sORT oF dEAD." Mr Bones declared, the skeleton completely unable to adjust his volume for an indoor environment. Graham groaned, he was still uncertain why Alain was keeping his terrifying minions around - couldn't he make them disappear until the next battle? Hera looked down despondently, taking a few moments to come to terms with the death of her tribe's only ally. Kelbara smirked, the skeleton's reveal was amusing to her as it was unsympathetic for Hera. Even Aurelio could see that the moment was rather awkward, letting out a cough and quickly changing the subject.

"I'm guessing it's bed time for everyone, having everyone in a place like this means people can't get the jump on you. One thing that I'm not sure about... doesn't anyone keep watch at night?" he asked, noticing the clear lack of guards at the door. "I mean, the fort's great and all, but someone could easily walk in."

"tHAT's bECAUSE wE kILLED tHEM aLL." Mr Bones replied, giving a thumbs up, only for his hand to fall from his wrist. Hera's disposition only grew more solemn, with each passing statement... it only seemed to make things worse - and Barry and Paul hadn't even opened their mouths yet.

The whole party is free to post!

Edited by Shin

"What frustrating... Alain, either remove your skeletons, or send them somewhere else. They're not helping any of us right now." When they had been in an open space, the cackling voices were caught on the wind and easily ignored... With all these walls and a ceiling to bounce off of, now it was just echoing annoyance. Cass had left Sebastian to deal with helping Naiman move into the fort, he had assured her he would manage alone. With how good a job he'd done in helping her survive, she trusted him with this much. Now...

"The priest declared us his enemies by the Gods we choose to worship, and unfortunately, Astaroth didn't make a convincing case otherwise. Would avoiding his death been a possibility, we would have tried it. What's done is done, though... And we need to figure out where to move forward with this." This being their situation. "Trying to stop the tribes gathering in the south is currently what I'd like to have accomplished, but I know it's not so simple as to wish it done and have it happen. Then there's also the issue of Malaphar, and whatever he's doing here..." Cass stepped towards the center of the hall, considering their options. "I suppose for now, it would do to rest, and then continue south. Gather what information becomes available along the way, and perhaps run into a tribe that's less willing to throw themselves at us without hesitation." If such a group existed, but given the track record of the plains, Cass wasn't quite sure.

"Hera, I can rely on you to help me learn more of your culture, yes? Only a fool would continue to charge in without more of an idea as to how Magonsaete works." Cass' experience with the place so far had been one quaint village, and several murderous tribes. Not much else to go on, so far.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Astaroth didn't say anything. Engel's words were still on his mind, and the Princess still didn't know about his gift. Astaroth thought about his own home, a place made of wooden walls and wooden houses, not as well protected as this fort, but also not nearly as wretched. He swore he heard the moans of the dying, and the clanging of chains. "This isn't a good place. To be forced into these stone walls, once undisturbed for a long time, because of tragedy, it's sinister. Magonsaete is open, and should be about openness. This place is constrained, as if it symbolizes everything Magonsaete isn't." He turned directly to Alain. "Sir Duhamel, is there a presence here? Well, besides your underworld companions?" Astaroth couldn't shake the feeling the whole fort was, more or less, haunted.

Alain let out a quiet snort. "A bit of candid truth too much to stomach for you, Princess? Very well then," Alain replied, dismissing Mr. Bones with a curt wave of his hand. "Make yourself useful and guard the front gate--quietly. Take the archer with you as well," he commanded, solving both Wykian concerns at once. It was true that Mr. Bones altogether lacked any respect for social etiquette, but Alain could help but grant him some leniency. 

"Satisfied? Then a word, if I may," he said, narrowing his gaze onto Cassandra. He'd stayed his tongue earlier as a courtesy, but with Naiman's survival all but guaranteed he had little remaining care for any of the Princess' fragile sensibilities. If she was going to masquerade as some diligent leader--it needed to happen where and when it mattered. Not when safety and comfort made it convenient for her.

"The real cause for frustration is your inability to keep your emotions in check and your abject disregard of the bigger picture. That you can stand here and pretend to assert authority with such a straight face is at once both incredible, and appalling. This battle could very well have ended in catastrophe because of your irresponsibility. I don't know when you decided to put a crown on Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's head, but it is quite clear to me that your judgement has failed you for it," he said, shaking his head.

"I'm... Sorry?" What was all this? Where did he get off saying something like this? "And what would you do, Alain? Last I remember, you chased after me, and could have quite easily turned around to join Owen and his cadre, yet remained with us, and now you're questioning me? I'm not about to apologize for having emotions. You know exactly why I'm like this right now, you've known for a while, and if you're going to challenge me on it instead of trying to help, then I have no need for you. Naiman has the crown because there's no one else on our side that's better fit for it. If Hera was suited to lead, she'd have won today. And are you sincerely going to trust Astaroth with such a lofty position?" Did he have a plan, or was he just wishing to vent some frustrations?

"I know what I did wrong today. If you think I'm trying to move past it without dwelling on it, I'm simply choosing to try and plan now, and dwell later, because punching myself in the gut over the fool I was moments ago will get us nowhere. Now that you've had your fun taking a shot at me, do you have anything useful to suggest? Pardon the assumption, but I'm fairly sure we're both rather empty when it comes to the knowledge of these lands."

"OI! Both a y'all really think this be the time to go on 'bout this? When we're all beaten n' bruised? Rest n' stuff some needed food n' drink down yer gullets, and iffin' y'still think later that y'all need t' trade punches either with yer words or yer fists, do it then. Ain't nothin' gonna come from scrappin' when everyone still be more tense n' a half length rope stretched over a ravine." Sylvia interjected, not quite sure what had triggered Alain to choose this moment to air his grievances, but not appreciating it regardless of what it might have been. Last thing they needed was more fighting. Hopefully his dismissal of those ghoulish servants of his would at least dispel some of that tension... but why send them outside? Could he not get rid of them? That was a rather stomach turning thought, to be stuck with those things until they perished of other causes...

"It's too late for that. The Princess has insulted my leadership ability for the last time. She thinks I don't have any authority. I have these two, and I have over 200 others who count on me to get them through the same terrible things! And what have you done, Princess? So far, you led us to a dank cave that got one of us maimed and probably killed, and then led us into a blind trap that almost did the exact same to someone else, not to mention where I met you. Then you and Kelbara decide to put a crown on the head of someone who wants for the leadership I hold, and who couldn't keep most of the remnants of her tribe together!"

Astaroth wasn't willing to put up with Cassandra's excuses anymore. "Do not claim to know how I lead when you have not seen how my people respect me. Do not judge me on seeing my vulnerable side in a place I had no business being in. I am just as capable of leading a nation as she is, and I have actual authority. And unlike you, I did not hesitate. When Naiman fell, you just stood. You did not defend her, instead you froze in fear. And you didn't even defeat Hera, you only just survived her. She could've killed us all, and yet she didn't, because that wouldn't undo the damage both we and the South did. The only leadership you should question is yours, Princess. " Astaroth expected her blade, but did not attempt to defend himself. A cut across his neck is all that would be needed for him to be proven right.

And now the aloof chieftain chose to speak up, instead of being quiet as he had been almost this whole time. Sylvia's attempts fell on deaf ears. "Then why are you here, and not leading your people? Why are you following me around, instead of off working towards being the great leader you so clearly are? If my leadership is an issue, then leave! I have no hold over you, and if it's truly as awful as you claim, then I'll do nothing but get you killed. Well? The door's that way, Astaroth. See to the people that respect you so much." Cass already knew what she'd done wrong, today. And that she'd have to find away over it should Naiman suffer such an injury in the future. It was just, too soon, to be able to ignore something like that. And when will it stop being too soon, Cassandra? He's right about one thing, you did freeze. And while your attempts might've aided in keeping Naiman breathing, to fly off in a rage after solved nothing. And they both act like I don't know that? Gods, it takes one mistake for everyone to turn on you... Was it like that for you too, father?

Alain could only sigh as he listened to Cassandra's rebuttal. He had hoped she would have at least been able to show a shred of humility or remorse, but instead he was being treated to an embarrassing spectacle of petty ingratitude. That she would assume, after all that he'd done, that he was merely having a quiet laugh was disappointing beyond all word.    

"If you think you are above being questioned, you ought to dispel that notion immediately. Feel free to expect that kind of blind loyalty from your vassals, but I have made no such oath to you," he replied, keeping his voice level. She was severely mistaken if she thought her title made her exempt from any form of criticism. If anything, she was expected to be held to a higher standard because of it.

"If you're so keen on planning things instead of dwelling on your emotional grievances--you should have taken the opportunity to do some planning on the battlefield as well. That is my entire point. Astaroth is correct. You did not defeat Hera. Your intentions were to either kill her, or die by her hand. You should consider what you're going to do if she dies in battle instead. Are you going to jeopardize your life, and ours, just so you can indulge in your emotions? Because not every adversary will have Hera's humanity." 

He shook his head and shrugged. "That was my original concern anyway, but I'm finding myself feeling even more alarmed now. Your first reaction to having criticism levied against you is to plug your ears and show your allies the door. Take a look around you, and just think about that for a moment. If you really and truly believe you can afford that sort of luxury, then I don't have much left to say to you." 

"It is true that my initial impressions of the Asarai chief have not been favorable, but he at least recognized the errors he made today, and sought to reconcile them. That is something I can respect, at the very least."

Edited by Vestige

How very frustrating. "Are you perhaps deaf? I said, quite clearly, that I understand what I did wrong. Does it need spelled out for you to be accepted at face value, can I not be trusted on my word?" Apparently not, Alain expected faulted to be admitted and declared, apparently. Showing humility, more like tearing into myself to humor fools.

"I let my emotions get the better of me and froze at a pivotal moment in the fight. And when I had managed to reconcile with them enough to move again, I let them cloud my judgement enough to blind me to what was necessary, only seeing what I wanted. There was no place for that, and I understand this, but I... Am not, entirely capable, of tossing everything that happened in Raewald and Myrcia away, in the span of a few weeks. I'm impressed if you're able to escape such turmoil, or perhaps you don't understand what it feels like, so you don't get it. But I am trying, and while I do not expect mere attempts to be lauded and praised, I expect to be trusted over more than one mistake. I had thought I'd handled myself rather well, until today." In dealings with other bandits and their cave dwelling allies, had she not shown up and done what she could? 

"So yes, I am feeling rather defensive right now. If you think more criticism is best for the situation, you are sadly mistaken. I have enough afflicting me, I don't need people im supposed to trust thrusting this sort of thing at me like I am unable to self reflect and understand what has been done wrong." A frustrated sigh left her, arms crossing as a hand came to rest against her face.

"I'm sorry." Alain deserved at least an apology for her snapping. "And for you as well, Astaroth. While you've been... Odd. I suppose a person's personal qualities, or their ability to fit in with a group of strangers, do not necessarily have to line up with their ability to lead." She was still far and away from considering him as any sort of country leader, though. 

"... I'm... Trying, to let go, of Adele. I'll just... Have to try harder, so this doesn't happen again." She narrowed her eyes some, scowling lightly at the floor. This wasn't something she wanted to throw away, it was something else she had done wrong, something she felt, she may never be able to live down. But, maybe there was nothing to be learned from, looking at it. It had been a comedy of errors... Born from her selfishness. If that was all the takeaway... Then maybe it was time to move on.

Fragile Alliance

"oF cOURSE, mASTER. i wOULD sTAND iN tHE rAIN fOR yOU uNTIL i wAS sOAKED tO tHE bONE... wHICH wOULD hAPPEN rIGHT aWAY". Mr Bones proclaimed, jumping up and giving Alain a salute. "cOME sTRANGE sPEAKING sKELETON. tHE mEAT wEARING sKELETONS nEED uS oUTSIDE."

Mr Bones and Señor Bones ambled outside, although the latter only seemed to understand when beckoned towards the door. Graham was relieved that Nana had taken refuge in the corner of the room, remaining silent for the time being. What was less than ideal was the argument that had broken out, people didn't seem happy with Cass for some reason. Why hadn't he noticed any of these problems? He thought that Cass had been doing well up until now, she'd always taken charge when they were younger... had he just accepted that things would be done her way? He was ready to interject but Sebastian shot him a stern look, shaking his head as if he disapproved of getting involved. Graham sighed, everyone was ganging up on Cass and it was frustrating that he wasn't being allowed to help. Aurelio, on the other hand, didn't feel any particular reason to keep quiet, stepping into the argument for himself.

"Captain Kettletrousers is right, having a big toss up after all this ain't going to fix much. I'm following the Princess because it's better than hiding in a hut from a bunch of brain eating cavemen, you guys are following her to get this country sorted out. Nobody's really got any better options looking at it." he remarked, finding some irony in him trying to promote group unity. "We've got a Princess with no country, a tribe leader with no tribe, one who commands a pair of idiots and a wizard with friends who live in a cave. I'm not the biggest fan of Clip-Clop, but he's giving it his best."

Barry and Paul were off to the side by themselves, listening in carefully. "I feel sorry for the tribe leader with idiots, I bet they're completely incompetent too." Barry whispered smugly, his brother even more oblivious to the conversation than himself.

Hera was rather unsettled by the conversation, how had these people defeated her warriors when they could barely even get along? 

"I... I miss Adele too, Cass." Graham interjected, disregarding Sebastian's warning to stay out. "It was so much easier when we had everyone. It was you, me, Adele, Owen... and Jeeves. I couldn't do anything to stop any of them going away, I was too scared and I just let things happened... maybe if I tried... I don't want to repeat mistakes either. I don't know what's right for Magonsaete, but I know it isn't this Malaphar. None of us want him to have his way.

"Malaphar... the man I spoke to called him his master. He was a strange fellow, but the promises he made and the power he showed... if there were a man he were to bow to, it seemed like there was no other option." Hera admitted, visibly ashamed by her own poor judgement. "How much power does Malaphar hold? How is one man able to tempt the south into a unity never seen before?"

Edited by Shin

Astaroth heard all that was said by everyone after him. He was glad to hear that Aurelio had at least some faith in him. What got to him most of all, besides someone Graham mentioned, was Malaphar being brought up. " And therein lies our problem. We must remember who the enemy is, and why we must keep our heads. Hera, I understand now why you sought our lives. I have only heard of Malaphar's evil, but Princess Cassandra has seen, as have the Ulagan.Truth be told, your people were no safer under his influence than opposing him, as it would've meant total destruction either way. He is a monster who seeks godhood, and must be destroyed entirely, lest he kill many more in his quest. Who was this servant of his? And why do you think he came for the Aega? " He wanted to ask Graham about this Adele, but the way he spoke of her made it sound like it was an old wound for both of them. It wasn't his place to ask, and he wasn't about to. But they needed to know who Malaphar sent to the Aega, and why.

"You all seem to have a good idea of what it is our goals are, so I would remind you that anything less than perfection will spell certain death. I would urge you, Cassandra, to hasten in making peace with your demons because time is a luxury you, or rather we, cannot afford. Use Adele's memory as a reminder, not as guidance. I may not be so inclined to save you from yourself next time," Alain said, holding back the urge to further chastise her. Instead he opted to simply acknowledge her apology and move on. As it stood, anything more was a wasted effort. 

"As for Malaphar, what Astaroth has said is true. He slaughtered Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's entire clan by himself. And he spared no man, woman, or child. To say he is ruthless is to do the man a gross disservice. To make matters worse, his sorcery allows him to return the dead to life. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but I suppose now is as good a time as any--Emmet yet lives. It would not surprise me if he happened to be this messenger," he said. 

Friends Turned

Sebastian was content with the partial resolution, focusing on Malaphar and schemes would at least provide a common goal for them all despite their differences. That however didn't make their task any easier, Malaphar was a potent force on his own, let alone orchestrating a whole nation of bandits. "My apologies for interjecting, but I can confirm Malaphar's combat prowess from my own observations. It is not that he is simply powerful, but he possesses magical abilities beyond the reach of even the wisest wizards." Sebastian confirmed, combining the knowledge of Owen's brief alliance with Malaphar with what he had been told by his predecessor. "Master Javier had said he had a grasp on reality at its core. Navigating through space and time as if he were on another plane of existence. Decades ago he only had a rudimentary command over his abilities, but I fear they have progressed with time. It is not clear why he would encourage conflict, his motives are unclear."

"The Aega may have declined his offer, the individual who visited us warned that refusal would result in our end." Hera lamented, fearing that her choice would have resulted in her clan's death regardless. "Emmet... I think that was the man's name. He wasn't overtly threatening... but he made me uncomfortable, there was something off-putting about how he carried himself."

Spooks had materialised next to Alain, sending a gentle stream of cold air around him. "i wOULD dIE aGAIN fOR yOU, mASTER... iF yOU aSKED mE tO hANG mYSELF, i wOULD gO sEARCH fOR rOPE." Spooks soothed, practically inches away from Alain. "i cAN sTILL sMELL a dEAD mAN's sTENCH. hE wAS hERE oNLY dAYS aGO."