Hyrule & FE Warriors bringing positive changes to DW

Jedi

Dynasty Warriors has lacked lock-on and dodge rolls (that can also be cancelled into other actions) for pretty much all their games.

While this was shown in DW9 awhile ago being added into it, its nice to see that these spinoffs are helping the main series mechanically in the long run. 

My muscle memory in the older warriors games has been altered a bit because I have to mentally remind myself not to try to roll lmao.

No Nintendo console release...again. :( But I'm not surprised. I see Steam there, but how could one play a Warriors game on a computer? I know Steam as a computer thing, and I even have an account there.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see Steam there, but how could one play a Warriors game on a computer? I know Steam as a computer thing, and I even have an account there.

Slot a (usb)controller and go. Or if you're feeling particularly adventurous, stick with keyboard

58 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No Nintendo console release...again. :( But I'm not surprised. I see Steam there, but how could one play a Warriors game on a computer? I know Steam as a computer thing, and I even have an account there.

My introduction to the genre was actually DW 8 XTREME Legends on PC. On keyboard. It took some getting used to, but it worked, and I loved the game itself immensely. It's one of the few steam games that I keep installed.

32 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Slot a (usb)controller and go. Or if you're feeling particularly adventurous, stick with keyboard

Oh... That means I'd have to buy one. Maybe someday. I probably need a new laptop first anyway though, because my current one hasn't been able to run brand new games from Steam lately.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Dynasty Warriors has lacked lock-on and dodge rolls (that can also be cancelled into other actions) for pretty much all their games.

While this was shown in DW9 awhile ago being added into it, its nice to see that these spinoffs are helping the main series mechanically in the long run. 

My muscle memory in the older warriors games has been altered a bit because I have to mentally remind myself not to try to roll lmao.

Bold: I know that feeling - with my only experience with the genre being from Hyrule Warriors (where I used the Zelda style of controls), it took me a while to get used to the control scheme for FE Warriors. Of course, going back to HW might be similarly painful...

8 hours ago, guedesbrawl said:

Well, i hope for DW fans that they don't start adding Giant Bosses.

Oh lordy please no, although Strikeforce kind of had those but that was a spinoff.

Orochi 3 too but that was a cool sequence with a Laser Ballista.

Edited by Jedi

I especially hope the warriors series will take a good look at how Fire emblem Warriors handles its ponies. Mounts were never for fighting in the main games, you use them for transport but if you try to fight on them it gets really clunky. Its rare to see horses in general which makes the cavalry focus of the Takeda or Liyang province a bit of an informed trait. 

But now that Fire emblem Warrior shows how you can do a horse unit and how you can convey power behind their blows I could see a character like Shingen getting a new mounted moveset. 

On 1/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: I know that feeling - with my only experience with the genre being from Hyrule Warriors (where I used the Zelda style of controls), it took me a while to get used to the control scheme for FE Warriors. Of course, going back to HW might be similarly painful...

I actually modeled my controls after HW.

39 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I especially hope the warriors series will take a good look at how Fire emblem Warriors handles its ponies. Mounts were never for fighting in the main games, you use them for transport but if you try to fight on them it gets really clunky. Its rare to see horses in general which makes the cavalry focus of the Takeda or Liyang province a bit of an informed trait. 

But now that Fire emblem Warrior shows how you can do a horse unit and how you can convey power behind their blows I could see a character like Shingen getting a new mounted moveset. 

There are some exceptions to those rules, like Ma Chao and Nobunaga for instance had really good horse attacks for just draining life of a general, but I agree for the most part.

Another exception for the weak horse rule I heard and can confirm as true is SWC Male Avatar- his horse charge attack has a small wind vortex at the tip of his blade, which deals pretty heavily damage if you can hit someone with it. Gracia was also better on horse, but great? Maybe, but maybe not since her horseless self is so weak. The ability to slowly generate Spirit while on Horseback combined with her having the Spirit transfer Skill made added to her in this regard. (Actually, should FEW get similar Skills?.)

We shouldn't forget that HW did the first full horse moveset (that me an bumpkin in the Musou world am aware of). Albeit Epona is rather chaotic. Doesn't help that Link has better options with his half dozen choices, the Master/Hylian Sword, Gauntlet, and maybe even Magic Rod and Spinner being better than Epona (so only better than the Great Fairy). Still, I guess Epona is proto-Xander.

Yeah, really. I think that Nintendo working with Koei is really good thing. I know Warriors series since I was 6 and I really like to see the evolution in DW9, finally. And my dreams wishes games from when I was little, Zelda and fire emblem musou, have been realised. What else? :D

Edited by Metakirby

4 hours ago, Metakirby said:

Yeah, really. I think that Nintendo working with Koei is really good thing. I know Warriors series since I was 6 and I really like to see the evolution in DW9, finally. And my dreams wishes games from when I was little, Zelda and fire emblem musou, have been realised. What else? :D

I'm personally hoping for a Falcom based Musou and maybe since Ys 8 is getting on Switch that may be more of a reality.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, Metakirby said:

I'm hoping for Kid Icarus Musou next myself, there's a lot of potential right there with all the different characters and weapons.