Did you play/like TMS?

Did you play/like TMS?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Did you play/like TMS?

• I played it, and I liked it.
    • I played it, and I did not like it.
    • I did not play it.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I find it really limiting that Itsuki always needs to be in your active party. He's the best fighter, but there's still times where I'd rather fight with three different characters. There's not much plot reason for it either, plenty of games let the protagonist be in the sub cast when you can change party members mid battle.

IIRC it was something about Itsuki being the "lord" character, and how in regular FE you couldn't kick the main lord out the party.

It works in FE due to the sheer number of unit slots we get.  For a smaller game like this, I would've loved to give him the boot.

I feel like people are right to be upset at the lack of crossover-ness when this is the game's annnouncement.

26 minutes ago, eclipse said:

IIRC it was something about Itsuki being the "lord" character, and how in regular FE you couldn't kick the main lord out the party.

It works in FE due to the sheer number of unit slots we get.  For a smaller game like this, I would've loved to give him the boot.

Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves in JRPGs. Active parties of three or four but the main character is locked in. And don't get me started on those same games where it's instant game over when the main character gets KO'd even though revival items exist. Was TMS like that? Can't remember. I know most if not all Atlus games are like that.

42 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves in JRPGs. Active parties of three or four but the main character is locked in. And don't get me started on those same games where it's instant game over when the main character gets KO'd even though revival items exist. Was TMS like that? Can't remember. I know most if not all Atlus games are like that.

Nope. Itsuki can die without leading to a game over. They even removed this requirement in SMTIV, a sign of how dated it sort of is. Although in SMT it sort of makes sense, because the demons have no inherent loyalty to you or your cause. Once you're in a state that you can no longer exert authority over them, they'll just abandon you, and if you have say an Oni, well I hope you like being smothered in ketchup!

I am in total agreement that Itsuki should have been able to be swapped out of the main cast when you have a mere three characters out at any time, that is 1/3 of your team stuck as always being Itsuki when everyone else is interesting too. It'd be one of the first things I'd change in a port. I'd like a lot of new things/changes in one.

I had quite a few issues with bosses, as they were challenging, but in the end I always managed to beat them with whatever characters I used. I usually rotated them and ended using pretty bad matchups but resetted and faced them again. The only fixed party I used against Medeus was Itsuki, Tsubasa and Kiria/Touma.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, Glennstavos said:

I feel like people are right to be upset at the lack of crossover-ness when this is the game's annnouncement.

The rushed old teaser with old stock art? The developers have stated that this particular teaser was done before a direction was set for the project. Nintendo basically pushed Atlus for the teaser to attempt to build up hype. There was nothing to be “upset” about asides fans having expectations that were too high. The long 2 year pause was a clear indicator. However...had there been another teaser or trailer with original content, like, new designs for some SMTcharacters and a redesigned Marth fending off against SMT demons summoned by Nergal and then the TMS stuff a year later, sure, fans “should” be upset. 

As for the game itself, I loved it. The game deserves a second chance.

Edited by Lord-Zero

• 2 months later...

Played it and LOVED IT. When I first saw the teaser for the game where it was just FE x SMT, I was honestly not very excited. I don't like SMT, and my only experience with Persona (Persona 3 Portable) was of a game with a lot of potential but ultimately boring. 

When I saw the actual first trailer for TMS, I had a very different reaction to most. I WAS FREAKING SOLD FROM DAY ONE. I loved the vibrant colors, the music, the character designs, I was hooked. Pre-ordered the game and loved every second of it. The story's more simplistic than I'd hoped, but it is very charming, humorous, and endearing, and I really liked the characters and overall style. The combat system is also fantastic, my absolute favorite turn-based combat system in an RPG that I've ever played (before this it was FF X). It took the skeleton of Persona's combat system, then amped it up in some really great ways. Sessions are fantastic, having dedicated Mirages (Personas) for each character with actual character traits and story purpose (rather than Persona's Pokemon-lite + Fusion stuff which I've never enjoyed), the side stories are tons of fun, and the dungeons were interesting and varied. It even gets pretty dang hard at times, and I haven't played on the harder difficulties yet. Throw in a New Game + (wonderfully titled "Season 2") and FREAKING TONS OF OUTFITS FOR EACH CHARACTER (I am a huge sucker for buying outfits for my characters in RPGs, and was extremely disappointed with the garbage way they implemented that in FE Fates), and it was totally my game. One of my favorite Wii U titles (and I played a lot of them), and one of my favorite RPGs. 

I wish it hadn't seen some of the censorship it saw (mainly for that photography dungeon, as its English version honestly has zero weight and at times makes no sense for where that story and the characters go... that was just bizarre), despite it not being explicit at all in the Japanese version, it was just extremely stupid. But it overall never hurt my enjoyment of the game. I wish it had really gotten its due, and I'd love to see a sequel (though the pitiful sales mean that's never going to happen). 

• 5 months later...

Played part of Chapter 1, and well, not only was I hooked, but the game actually aroused my interest in the Persona series, which I consider TMSFE to be a crossover of.

I found the game to be quite enjoyable. One big flaw with it is the lack of an autosave. That alone is why I haven't finished the game, as one time I hadn't saved for three hours, and a savage enemy encounter just popped up, wiped my party, and sent me back three hours in progress, or basically three side quests, a few levels, and a lot of weapon grinding. I haven't picked the game up since, but I really want to since I loved what I played. Just need to find the time to really dig into an JRPG.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:44 PM, DarthR0xas said:

nd a savage enemy encounter just popped up, wiped my party

You didn't have any Smoke Machines in your inventory? Enemies sometimes drop these and they're always worth having on hand in case of Savages. 

Savage encounters always give one of your characters the first turn, an act of mercy so you can try escaping.

Or, if you want to fight, if the character who got the mercy action was not Itsuki, and Kiria isn't in the main cast or it was her who got the action, and if she has completed her second quest and has acquired Pastel Power, and you have the SP for it, then use that. Whereas bosses shrug off the ailments of Pastel Power, I've noticed random foes, including Savages, are easily crippled by it. With them wasting a turn or three each while ailed, you can begin chopping them down in quick order.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You didn't have any Smoke Machines in your inventory? Enemies sometimes drop these and they're always worth having on hand in case of Savages. 

I did, I just forgot they existed since I never really use items outside of a few healing ones, and maybe a stone during a boss-fight.

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Savage encounters always give one of your characters the first turn, an act of mercy so you can try escaping.

That's grand and all, but you see, I was over-confident from three hours of grinding and easy fights where I swept the enemy in one turn, so I thought I could take them.

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, if you want to fight, if the character who got the mercy action was not Itsuki, and Kiria isn't in the main cast or it was her who got the action, and if she has completed her second quest and has acquired Pastel Power, and you have the SP for it, then use that. Whereas bosses shrug off the ailments of Pastel Power, I've noticed random foes, including Savages, are easily crippled by it. With them wasting a turn or three each while ailed, you can begin chopping them down in quick order.

Good to know

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed the game for what it was, can not say it was my favorite on the Wii U though. That would easily go to Tropical Freeze. I would have much preferred a game in which you summon past FE characters (not just ones from FE1/Awakening) similar to demons in the SMT games, and why they went with idols and such is beyond me.  Game-play wise it is really solid and I had a blast trying to get the highest combo of attacks that I could, but the story and setting did nothing for me as a whole.  If we do get a port to Switch then I hope they remove most of the changes they made in the English release or at least edit them. I absolutely hated the outfits they used to replace the swimsuits and the odd flaming chest Aversa had in the cut scenes only to lose it during the actual fight is simply strange to me. Good game overall that just fell flat for me in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...