Quick question on how to initiate pairings?

Spectraman

hey guys so I just started Fe 4 and I had a quick question about pairings. I know that you gain love points through many events and units being adjacent, but I want to know if my pairings are solidified immediately after I reach the highest amount of love points, because I am a little confused on how I get to choose my pairings.

For example:

Lets say I want to pair-up Lex and Ayra. Here are the questions I have.

-if they get paired does that mean the only conversation I should get in Chapter 5 is between them? Or can Ayra have another conversation with another male character because she also has the highest number of love points with that person.

-also can you have female characters have max love points with many characters?

Please, I feel like i need someone give me a step by step example of how to correctly pair-up two characters, because I don't want to have substitutes in the 2nd generation because I couldn't correctly pair units.

9 minutes ago, Spectraman said:

hey guys so I just started Fe 4 and I had a quick question about pairings. I know that you gain love points through many events and units being adjacent, but I want to know if my pairings are solidified immediately after I reach the highest amount of love points, because I am a little confused on how I get to choose my pairings.

For example:

Lets say I want to pair-up Lex and Ayra. Here are the questions I have.

-if they get paired does that mean the only conversation I should get in Chapter 5 is between them? Or can Ayra have another conversation with another male character because she also has the highest number of love points with that person.

-also can you have female characters have max love points with many characters?

Please, I feel like i need someone give me a step by step example of how to correctly pair-up two characters, because I don't want to have substitutes in the 2nd generation because I couldn't correctly pair units.

You don't 'initiate pairings', when a couple gets 500 love points they become lovers, if you're playing the game, look at Cuan's and Ethlyn's character pages and you'll see the line 'lover' and their respective names will be there, that means they are paired.  When a couple reaches 500 love points by 'lover' it will say whoever they are paired with.

Yes the ch. 5 lover conversations only occur between people who the game identies as lovers, once a couple reaches 500 points the game stops adding points for other characters, so if Lex and Arya reach 500 they are lovers even if Holyn had 450 love points, it doesn't matter the game will stop counting Arya and Holyn's love points.  

That's pretty much it, though the game doesn't allow conversations that create 'love points' like the conversation in ch. 3 between Arya and either Lex or Holyn if that person already has a lover, so that should be kept in mind too.

You'll gain "points" by having units stand next to each other, certain conversations, having healers do their thing, and maybe a thing or two I've forgotten.  Get enough points (500) and you get lovers. . .who, in turn, generate kids instead of replacement units.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

You'll gain "points" by having units stand next to each other, certain conversations, having healers do their thing, and maybe a thing or two I've forgotten.  Get enough points (500) and you get lovers. . .who, in turn, generate kids instead of replacement units.

I don't think using staves gives love points, but you're right about conversations and standing next to each other.  The last one is just implicitly, most females naturally gave love points each turn with males even if they aren't adjacent at the end of the turn.

So basically if you have two males really close to 500 and you screw up by accidently making one of them the father when you wanted the other, than it is your loss.

So is it better to get pairings early(unless you want items from specific events) so you dont scew up your pairings by waiting near high value love point character.

Especially for Ayra, I dont want Claud as a parent and I am really afraid I accidently put them next to each other.

38 minutes ago, Zasplach said:

I don't think using staves gives love points, but you're right about conversations and standing next to each other.  The last one is just implicitly, most females naturally gave love points each turn with males even if they aren't adjacent at the end of the turn.

Could've sworn it did.  Ah, well, thanks~!

25 minutes ago, Spectraman said:

So basically if you have two males really close to 500 and you screw up by accidently making one of them the father when you wanted the other, than it is your loss.

So is it better to get pairings early(unless you want items from specific events) so you dont scew up your pairings by waiting near high value love point character.

Especially for Ayra, I dont want Claud as a parent and I am really afraid I accidently put them next to each other.

Yep.  There's a place in the castle that'll give you a rough idea of who's closest to being a lover.

Most pairs start at a pretty low value.  There's only one IIRC that's both relatively high, and not exactly ideal (as in, you can do better, but the world won't end if you pair those two).

1 hour ago, Spectraman said:

I mean, most pairings that can 'accidentally' happen are okay, besides all the females except the two that show up late have low love bases so you can just have desired pairings stand near each other about 10 turns a chapter and you'll be fine.  And there aren't a ton of lover conversations that give items, but there are a couple.  Also love points stop accumulating after turn 50 on every chapter too.  All-in-all, pairings while fun, aren't the end all be all, most are pretty okay, just decide the ones you want and build towards them and they will happen, really only one pairing is likely to happen accidentally. 

3 hours ago, Spectraman said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about this pairing. By the time you get Claud, Ayra probably has a high number of love points for someone else, so even if you put them next to each other, the odds of them accidentally falling in love are slim, because units still gain love points even when they're not adjacent to each other. Each turn, love points are given. 5 if adjacent, 1-3 points for non-adjacent. However, given Ayra's conversations, Lex or Holyn/Chulainn will probably fall in love with Ayra faster than putting Ayra or Claud. The only way Claud can beat them out is if you finished the first 3 chapters relatively fast and kept those two together for the rest of the generation.

Even so, I would rate Ayra's kids as relatively low priority/low stress, since they're great. Claud as a father is bad, but thank goodness for magic swords. The only pair of kids that are less stressful are Sylvia's. So basically, Ayra and Sylvia can be paired with almost everyone, since their kids can function no matter what and will be at least, decent. But do note there's better fathers to make their kids outstanding (well, Ayra's kids will be outstanding, Sylvia's kids are another story, but let's just say they'll get their jobs done no matter what. It's just a matter of what other roles you want them to take on) 

8 hours ago, Spectraman said:

Something worth mentioning about Genealogy is that it can be difficult to make a unit useless in gen 2 via a pairings. A good example of this is in either Ayra's kids and Tiltyu's kids. Ayra's kids are incredibly powerful units alone. If their father is Claud or something dumb like that, it really only balances them more than making them bad. In the case of Tiltyu's kids, while they will very easily become really screwed in the magic department without having a magic using father, they make up for it with the wrath skill. Which they inherit from their mother and, if you havent figured it out yet, guarantees a critical for the unit while they are at low health.

Also remember that love stops growing via units being out on the map at the same time or by standing next to one another after turn 50. So if you really want a specific pairing without fail, just keep the two glued together for the duration of the 50 turns.

43 minutes ago, Spectraman said:

does ending a trun while two units are adjacent without ending their turn accumulate love points, like how gba games build supports with ending the units turn

yep

but keep an eye on the love points. some characters generate ir faster or slower.