Ys General: 8 launches June, Celceta PC in summer

Jedi

With the current announcement of Ys VIII being on Switch, I notice quite a few people both on the Mini Direct thread and in PM/Discord asking me about Ys, lets have a central zone for it and see if I can help, of course if this isn't too active then I can just not do it, haha.

So give em to me.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

What are some comparisons to other video game series? Gameplay wise or story.

Gameplay wise I'd say its akin to Zelda if the focus was much more on Combat instead of puzzles, its a heavily action based series although the games themselves can differ somewhat in terms of core mechanics, the more recent ones focus on a party roaming openly with very fast combat. Theres also shmup elements depending on the game and boss.

Intense bosses are also a staple of the series, story wise i'd say its like those ye-old adventure book fantasy stories, but in game form.

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, LaserDuda said:

How different is each Ys game usually?

It honestly varies, like 1 & 2 share an overhead formula with a combat system known as the Bump System, some games focus on isometric hack n slash with some platforming, the more recent ones are party focused dungeon crawling (although all the games have dungeon crawling) the combat is always done on the field though, theres nothing like random encounters or the like the action is always there.

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Do I need to play older Ys games to understand Ys VIII?

Nope, the only thing the games typically share, are the main character (Adol Christin) and maybe one or two people he's met in the past, while other games can be referenced they aren't relevant to the situation at hand. 

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, while 1 & 2 have the bump system, 2 adds Magic to mix things up.

Yeah, 2 is much more like a shmup! 

Edited by Jedi

To those interested, i also recommend checking out http://www.digitalemelas.com/

It has alot of information.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah, 2 is much more like a shmup! 

If we are talking shmup, Galbalan in Oath has that damn Touhou Phase of his, and the Touhou Tennis after <.< (where i usually fail xd)

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Nope, the only thing the games typically share, are the main character (Adol Christin) and maybe one or two people he's met in the past, while other games can be referenced they aren't relevant to the situation at hand. 

Neat! I was worried it would be like LoH where I need to play everything in order to understand the story please remake Zero and Ao Falcom 

Just now, Shrimperor said:

To those interested, i also recommend checking out http://www.digitalemelas.com/

It has alot of information.

Hide contents

If we are talking shmup, Galbalan in Oath has that damn Touhou Phase of his, and the Touhou Tennis after <.< (where i usually fail xd)

Spoiler

Hahahaha, oh man the first time I played that boss it was like WHAT IS GOIIIIIIIIIIING ONNNNNNN JUMP JUMP.

2 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Favorite game is The Oath in Felghana.

Valestein Castle, man. The music is godly.

Its so awesome a character in Trails/Kiseki has the last name of Valestein 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Memories of Celceta is a great game. For anyone that has a Vita, give it a try.

I kinda hope that's ported to Steam soon since I lack a Vita haha.

I've seen some gameplay/story of Lacrimosa of Dana. It seems very unusual for JRPG standards. Is the concept very different for a typical Ys game?

Sara's Valestein Castle

for my it's: Oath >= Origin > Ys 2 > Ys 1 > Ark

Will soon get Ys7 or 8. Hopefully xD

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hahahaha, oh man the first time I played that boss it was like WHAT IS GOIIIIIIIIIIING ONNNNNNN JUMP JUMP.

It took me weeks to beat that guy on hard, and i've been trying to beat him for 1.5 years now on Nightmare xD

Just now, Dandy Druid said:

I've seen some gameplay/story of Lacrimosa of Dana. It seems very unusual for JRPG standards. Is the concept very different for a typical Ys game?

Current Ys games play more like Monster Hunter. Your party each have different weapons and abilities that are effective against varying monsters. Like gauntlets against armored monsters or swords against slimy monsters. Not your typical turn based adventure.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Current Ys games play more like Monster Hunter. Your party each have different weapons and abilities that are effective against varying monsters. Like gauntlets against armored monsters or swords against slimy monsters. Not your typical turn based adventure.

Awesome, glad it sounds exclusive to the series.

Just now, Jedi said:

Its way way more fast paced than MH though haha.

Yeah I noticed the combat was really fast.

Spoiler

Dana practically flies lol

1 minute ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Is the series like Final Fantasy in which the worlds are separate in each game? Or are all of the games connected?

Also, what would you say is a good starting point?

Memories of Celceta or VIII are good starting points. Jedi answered your first question in one of his earlier replies.

10 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Is the series like Final Fantasy in which the worlds are separate in each game? Or are all of the games connected?

Also, what would you say is a good starting point?

The games are all (except Origin) the chronicles of one adventurer named Adol Christin, the games are all loosely connected as his various journeys around his world. 

It's hard to place a good start since they can all be fairly standalone, but if you want some for the various gameplays 

Ys 1&2 would be for the origins of the series and the games actually based on the land of Ys, Oath in Felgana and Origin would be for the more isometric style (Ys 6 is also decent for this but isn't quite as polished as the other two I mentioned). 

SEVEN or Celceta is good for the new party system and 8 is kind of a merger of the more party based combat of SEVEN and Celceta and Felgana, Origin

Edited by Jedi