Jedi

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Ether said:

How much will I regret trying to solo the game with Dana

This isn't possible.

You can't technically solo the game with anyone on your first playthrough - you don't unlock the ability to decrease party size below 3 until the postgame/NG+.

That said, a substantial portion of the game has you playing as Dana solo anyway.

Edited by preta

I would also like to add, if someone plans on playing every game (not counting V since it never received a western release or even a remake), play the most recent version of each game, since the remakes were intended to enhance the experience both story- and gameplay-wise. Also, my recommendation would be to play it by the story, so start with 1 and continue onwards with 2 and origins (digitalemelas also writes why it should be played in this order, so I'm not going to write it here).The bump system might feel strange at first, but is easy to get the hang of it, and - as much as I liked tha action-platformer elements of the latter ones - I actually sometimes miss the simplicity of it. So what I try to say is, don't be afraid of starting with 1, because it aged exceptionally well, and with the 2009 remake the gameplay is also pretty smooth. Other than that, well, I hope if VIII will be a succes we might see a remake of V (and a PC release of Celceta in the west would also be nice).

I've played Origin, 1&2, and Oath in Felghana and liked them all. LoD doesn't seem much like them, which is why I haven't played it yet. Does it appeal to fans of the earlier games (and of course Origin and Oath)?

6 minutes ago, Stopwatch said:

I've played Origin, 1&2, and Oath in Felghana and liked them all. LoD doesn't seem much like them, which is why I haven't played it yet. Does it appeal to fans of the earlier games (and of course Origin and Oath)?

Most Ys fans consider it the pinnacle of the franchise, so I'd say yes. I still need to play it myself, but I'm waiting for NISA's retranslation since their first attempt at a translation was pretty awful. 

(I just wish Xseed was able to take it since they've done such good work with both Trails and the Ys games they've translated).

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Most Ys fans consider it the pinnacle of the franchise, so I'd say yes. I still need to play it myself, but I'm waiting for NISA's retranslation since it was pretty awful. 

(I just wish Xseed was able to take it since they've done such good work with both Trails and the Ys games they've translated).

I'm watching the trailer for Ys Seven again, never having played it. LoD's style seems reminiscent of this but just... better? Seven reminds me of those decent Final Fantasy DS releases, art style wise. Is the party system as fun as the bump/hack n slash from the games I'm used to?

VIII is very much an evolution of the Ys Seven/Celceta formula, but the reintroduction of jumping and verticality in level design does a lot to make it feel more like Felghana/Origin than those two games. I would definitely give it a try.

Also, take what Digital Emelas says with a grain of salt, particularly when it comes to play order. That site authoritatively makes a lot of statements that the vast majority of the Ys fanbase would disagree with - the generally accepted best play order is release order, but definitely not chronological order. At the very least, play I and II before Origin. Ark of Napishtim is also frequently referenced in games made later, so his suggestion to play it after those games is most baffling.

For the most part, though, the main plots are standalone. VIII's, in particular, is actually one of the most standalone, and it's a perfectly good starting point.

Edited by preta

1 minute ago, preta said:

definitely not chronological order.

can't really agree more with this- I played the ones I've played in chronological order and was extremely confused by the Bump system.

"Which button attacks!? I keep dying to the first guy, what the hell..."

Not only did I not understand the bump system, I also forgot to equip the sword. I laugh about it now.

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How is Ys pronounced? "Ees"?

Yes, that's it. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

Would you recommend Ys VIII to someone who plays mostly turn-based? I've never tried a Ys game before and the recent announcement has piqued my interest.

It has lower difficulties that can probably ease you in, these games play more like action games.

How much hours of content does Ys 8 have? 

Also, i skimmed over the Ys article on Wikipidea and it turns out that there's actually two versions of Ys 4. Which one do i play? 

1 minute ago, Stopwatch said:

can't really agree more with this- I played the ones I've played in chronological order and was extremely confused by the Bump system.

Not only did I not understand the bump system, I also forgot to equip the sword. I laugh about it now.

To clarify, the particular order I'd recommend is I and II Chronicles > Ark of Napishtim (VI) > Oath in Felghana > Origin > Seven > Memories of Celceta > Lacrimosa of Dana (VIII).

I didn't include V because there's been a fair bit of hinting from Falcom that a remake may be coming at some point - and it definitely does need one.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

How much hours of content does Ys 8 have? 

Also, i skimmed over the Ys article on Wikipidea and it turns out that there's actually two versions of Ys 4. Which one do i play? 

My playthrough of 8, including postgame content, took me 53 hours, which is much, much longer than average for the series - most of the games are no more than 20.

There are actually four versions of Ys IV - Mask of the Sun for SNES, The Dawn of Ys for PC-Engine, Mask of the Sun -A New Theory- for PS2, and Memories of Celceta for Vita/PC. Memories of Celceta is the modern, canon one, but The Dawn of Ys also has its own unique charms and is still worth playing today.

5 minutes ago, Stopwatch said:

hmmm

i did start with Origin first then 1->2, but i didn't really have any problems with the bump system or equipment. Infact, the game i had the most problems with was Ys6/Ark, and that's because it was super slow & clunky when compared to the other Ys i played & finished.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The new one/ Memories of Celceta

16 minutes ago, Stopwatch said:

Ys 8 is using the party system introduced in Ys Seven. I haven't played 8 yet but I quite liked what I've played of Seven, and I've played Ys I&2 and all of the Ys 6 based games.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's technically 3 now, since Ys Memories in Celceta is a remake of 4.

The general consensus that I've seen is Dawn of Ys is the superior version. The only "downside" to playing it back in the day was that it wasn't the "canon" version, but now that Celceta exists that doesn't matter anymore.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

hmmm

i did start with Origin first then 1->2, but i didn't really have any problems with the bump system or equipment.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete moron, for more reasons than just this.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

If people wanna see the bump system from 1 & 2 (although 2 focused more on flinging spells) I do have my run of the Ys 1 boss rush here 

of course Batman took you the longest :D

that boss was annoying af

How far does the series lean in on Greco-Roman, Norse, and other classical western myth? Or in other words, how many hours will I get into a Ys game before the game name drops "Yggdrasil", "Ragnarok", any members of the Olympian Gods, the Underworld, or has me fighting monsters such as the medusa, satyrs, and centaurs.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

How far does the series lean in on Greco-Roman, Norse, and other classical western myth? Or in other words, how many hours will I get into a Ys game before the game name drops "Yggdrasil", "Ragnarok", any members of the Olympian Gods, the Underworld, or has me fighting monsters such as the medusa, satyrs, and centaurs.

I think there are unabashed harpies in Oath of Felghana? so for early games, it might take you a while. 1, 2, and Origin are all fairly original.

So assuming i get the games from Steam/emulate them (i'm guessing not all the games are on Steam) would keyboard controls work? I know an actual controller is recommended but i currently lack that (i could use my Joy-Cons but the world would end before they sync up to my PC.

Also, I know my PC can run GameCube games (there isn't a Ys game on GC, i know). Not sure about PS2 emulation as i haven't tried it yet but PlayStation emulation works wonderfully on my PC. So that tells me that at the very least, Ys games on PlayStation would work fine on my PC. Are there any Ys games on PlayStation?

17 minutes ago, preta said:

My playthrough of 8, including postgame content, took me 53 hours, which is much, much longer than average for the series - most of the games are no more than 20.

Ok i'm actually like very slightly disappointed in those hours for a JRPG but if the games are fun, i'm not really gonna mind how long each game is.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The new one/ Memories of Celceta

Yeah, but that one's on Vita/PC so i can't play it.  Because i don't have a Vita and given that it's past the PS2 era, my PC likely wouldn't be able to run it. So i'd have to play Dawn of Ys instead.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So assuming i get the games from Steam/emulate them (i'm guessing not all the games are on Steam) would keyboard controls work? I know an actual controller is recommended but i currently lack that (i could use my Joy-Cons but the world would end before they sync up to my PC.

Also, I know my PC can run GameCube games (there isn't a Ys game on GC, i know). Not sure about PS2 emulation as i haven't tried it yet but PlayStation emulation works wonderfully on my PC. So that tells me that at the very least, Ys games on PlayStation would work fine on my PC. Are there any Ys games on PlayStation?

Ok i'm actually like very slightly disappointed in those hours for a JRPG but if the games are fun, i'm not really gonna mind how long each game is.

Yeah, but that one's on Vita/PC so i can't play it.  Because i don't have a Vita and given that it's past the PS2 era, my PC likely wouldn't be able to run it. So i'd have to play Dawn of Ys instead.

I beat all the Steam games with the exceptions of Seven and Ark of Napishtim with keyboard before I played any with a controller. It's doable, as with many titles. As you said, it's not recommended.

4 minutes ago, Stopwatch said:

I beat all the Steam games with the exceptions of Seven and Ark of Napishtim with keyboard before I played any with a controller. It's doable, as with many titles. As you said, it's not recommended.

But like, is it still enjoyable? Doable is one thing, but enjoyment is much more important.

Just now, Armagon said:

But like, is it still enjoyable? Doable is one thing, but enjoyment is much more important.

I liked them enough to do them again with an Xbox controller. And it was easier and more fun.