Ys General: 8 launches June, Celceta PC in summer

Jedi

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But like, is it still enjoyable? Doable is one thing, but enjoyment is much more important.

Works well enough for me.  I have no plans on getting a controller for Steam.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Works well enough for me.  

39 minutes ago, Stopwatch said:

I liked them enough

This is reassuring. I'll give the keyboard controls a try when i get the chance.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This is reassuring. I'll give the keyboard controls a try when i get the chance.

The games aren't generally too intensive for computers either, so you should be pretty fine.

Edited by Jedi

38 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The games aren't generally too intensive for computers either, so you should be pretty fine.

That's putting it mildly. Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin in particular could run on a toaster. They came out in 2003, 2005 and 2006 and were not remotely graphically intensive even for the time.

Edited by preta

22 minutes ago, preta said:

That's putting it mildly. Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin in particular could run on a toaster. They came out in 2003, 2005 and 2006 and were not remotely graphically intensive even for the time.

I'm the master of understatement! 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

It honestly varies, like 1 & 2 share an overhead formula with a combat system known as the Bump System

There is a DS remake of 1 & 2 called Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, and I know it gives the choice between running into your enemies and actually slashing them via a button press from an old Nintendo Power review I read.

I don't know how good or bad it is. I've never played it nor any Ys game, so a connoisseur such as yourself may spit it out and throw in my napkin. But hey, this is an FE fansite, so virtually everyone here should have access to a DS/3DS to play it.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a DS remake of 1 & 2 called Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, and I know it gives the choice between running into your enemies and actually slashing them via a button press from an old Nintendo Power review I read.

I don't know how good or bad it is. I've never played it nor any Ys game, so a connoisseur such as yourself may spit it out and throw in my napkin. But hey, this is an FE fansite, so virtually everyone here should have access to a DS/3DS to play it.

That's generally regarded as one of the worse versions of Ys I and II.

Ys I and II Chronicles (Steam, GOG, PSP) is widely regarded as the best, which I agree with.

Edited by preta

Glad VIII is coming to the Switch. I've been meaning to get around to it, but I've been waiting for the new translation to really jump in. It also seems to have brought way more attention to VIII than the original release did, which is nice for a franchise that has constantly gone overlooked by a workhorse developer that deserves more credit. Damn if Falcom hasn't made some damn good games that have their own identities.

Back to Ys specifically, this has inspired me to go back and go through the games again. I started with Oath of Felghana, really liked it, and never played anything else for whatever reason.

Any standouts I should check out next?

Edited by Slumber

12 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Glad VIII is coming to the Switch. I've been meaning to get around to it, but I've been waiting for the new translation to really jump in. It also seems to have brought way more attention to VIII than the original release did, which is nice for a franchise that has constantly gone overlooked by a workhorse developer that deserves more credit. Damn if Falcom hasn't made some damn good games that have their own identities.

Back to Ys specifically, this has inspired me to go back and go through the games again. I started with Oath of Felghana, really liked it, and never played anything else for whatever reason.

To a lot of people Oath would be the standout, honestly I think they all have their merits, and I had a blast with each game I've played, all the ones currently on Steam, had the most fun with Origin, SEVEN and 1&2 myself though.

Edited by Jedi

12 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'd recommend playing I and II or Ark of Napishtim next, personally, and then Origin after both of those.

12 hours ago, preta said:

I'd recommend playing I and II or Ark of Napishtim next, personally, and then Origin after both of those.

Napishtim in general is nice for newcomers I forgot to mention because it's kinder than most and has a mode that allows you to use items in boss fights.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Napishtim in general is nice for newcomers I forgot to mention because it's kinder than most and has a mode that allows you to use items in boss fights.

While it's true that's kinder because of that, the game itself isn't as good as the rest imo and may turn newcomers off, especially with it's clunky mechanics (and getting Teleport item waaaaaay to late). Also, all the lore stuff and references to other games will go over the head of the people who didn't play the others before it.

Edited by Shrimperor

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

That was the original mode since XSeed specifically added Catastrophe Mode in their release of the game. Although while you couldn't use items (other than 1 exception) in Catastrophe Mode, the game was broken since it let you buy infinite stat boosters.

I'd recommend Napishtim before playing Oath or Origin because its clunkier than those 2 while having better world design.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

While it's true that's kinder because of that, the game itself isn't as good as the rest imo and may turn newcomers off, especially with it's clunky mechanics (and getting Teleport item waaaaaay to late). Also, all the lore stuff and references to other games will go over the head of the people who didn't play the others before it.

I think playing Ark before Oath and Origin at least is a good idea, probably because Oath is brutal as hell.

Honestly I feel like Origin gives the best first impression of the series. No Adol, but I played it first (before I and II, even), and I not only loved it but I went on to love I and II as well for their ties to it. Only problem is that Origin's so polished it made it a bit harder for me to enjoy Oath and Napishtim, especially the latter.

I've played all of the Xseed ones. I was hesitant to touch VIII with a ten foot pole because I don't want to risk anything that might separate Xseed from Trails, but at this point I suspect that that might be an inevitability, which... has led me more to generalized apathy than any kind of resistance. Apathy is stronger for these purposes, though, I guess.

Still, great series. Origin is my favorite, like Oath and Seven too; least favorite is probably Celceta or Napishtim. Or I, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure. They're all still good though. Wanted to play Dawn someday but then all of this happened, meh.

16 minutes ago, Iridium said:

but at this point I suspect that that might be an inevitability, which... has led me more to generalized apathy than any kind of resistance. Apathy is stronger for these purposes, though, I guess.

I feel that's the wrong mindset atm. Don't forget it was because of the fan campaign that Nisa had to retranslate Ys8 to begin with, so fan resistance is a must. Altough it may seem grim atm, i really really hope Trails stays with XSEED, and will resist (even if it's just posts on some inernet forums lol) until it's confirmed otherwise.

On other news, just started Ys7 yesterday. I am really enjoying it so far, and i have no problems with the inclusion of the party system. Altough it isn't really programmed well (especially with how dumb the Ai acts sometimes). It's still good old Ys tho. High speed fast action challenging gameplay :3

Edited by Shrimperor

3 hours ago, Iridium said:

Honestly I feel like Origin gives the best first impression of the series. No Adol, but I played it first (before I and II, even), and I not only loved it but I went on to love I and II as well for their ties to it. Only problem is that Origin's so polished it made it a bit harder for me to enjoy Oath and Napishtim, especially the latter.

I've played all of the Xseed ones. I was hesitant to touch VIII with a ten foot pole because I don't want to risk anything that might separate Xseed from Trails, but at this point I suspect that that might be an inevitability, which... has led me more to generalized apathy than any kind of resistance. Apathy is stronger for these purposes, though, I guess.

Still, great series. Origin is my favorite, like Oath and Seven too; least favorite is probably Celceta or Napishtim. Or I, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure. They're all still good though. Wanted to play Dawn someday but then all of this happened, meh.

I'm surprised you say Origin is more polished than Oath considering the general fandom impression that everything about Oath is amazing and perfect (and its not). 

We'll see what happens, I'd like NISA to stay away from Falcom stuff but with recent interviews I doubt it'll happen, 

but this is entirely a thing too.

Edited by Jedi

Hey someone else that prefers Origin to Oath. It might be because I played Origin before Oath but Origin just feels like it has more polished bosses where you don't need to "wait" as much to find an opportunity to attack them. 

XSeed seems to be wanting to port Celceta to PC with their teaser for the year (basically one of the images is a render of Calilica). While I also don't like Celceta that much it'll be interesting to see what they add compared to the fan translated version of the Chinese port.

I have been into the Ys series ever since I got Book 1 & 2. Gotta say for something that is focused on action and RPG, it sure does that consistently well.

Something that always puzzles me in the series itself is the timeline. Now of course Ys is basically the books from Ys 1 & 2 but after that, no one mentions about them within the series nor is it even referenced in the games as the games often instead just show the two goddesses from time to time. 

I found the Chronology quite puzzling at times because I still have no clue as to how all the games link together.

I have pretty much have gotten all but Ys seven And 8 on Steam. Should probably get 7 at this point. Still waiting for Celceta to show up on Steam. Out of all of them that I played, Ys 1 is my personal favourite.

4 hours ago, blueasian said:

XSeed seems to be wanting to port Celceta to PC with their teaser for the year (basically one of the images is a render of Calilica). While I also don't like Celceta that much it'll be interesting to see what they add compared to the fan translated version of the Chinese port.

It still baffles me that we still haven't gotten the damn port. Really, what is taking so long for this. Ys is Falcom's biggest IP out there and yet they just delay it further.

57 minutes ago, Harvey said:

It still baffles me that we still haven't gotten the damn port. Really, what is taking so long for this. Ys is Falcom's biggest IP out there and yet they just delay it further.

Probably because Xseed is focusing on Zwei and Trails of Cold Steel 2's PC port.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Probably because Xseed is focusing on Zwei and Trails of Cold Steel 2's PC port.

But that's the thing. Why does it need to be Xseed? There are so many other good localizers out there like Nicalis, 8-4 and many others.

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

But that's the thing. Why does it need to be Xseed? There are so many other good localizers out there like Nicalis, 8-4 and many others.

Because Xseed cares far more for the source material than most others especially the likes of NISA.

They are dedicated Falcom fans to the point that their Trails and Ys translations are always super on point. I honestly hope they have involvement with the scripts even if they aren't the main porters of future games.

Edited by Jedi

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Something that always puzzles me in the series itself is the timeline. Now of course Ys is basically the books from Ys 1 & 2 but after that, no one mentions about them within the series nor is it even referenced in the games as the games often instead just show the two goddesses from time to time. 

You played Ark and Origin, right?

Ark has alot of references actually to both Ys1/2 & Origin. As you know, Origin takes place 700 years before Ys1/2. In Ark it's hinted heavily that Reah and Feena are from Eldeen race. There was all this talk about Emelas and stuff, too, and how humans who didn't follow the Eldeen wanted to use black Emelas. Also, Geis and Ernst are descendants of the same people Kishgal (the one who killed Yunica's Father in Origin iirc) and Epona belonged too. Also, in Ark you face demi-Galbalan, and iirc the game talks about how it was created with the help of black Emelas (or something). In Ys3/Oath you face Galbalan (and he has a Title ''Sinster Marauder from afar''), so even there there is some connection.

Edit: Also, the old dude you rescue in the Tower in Ys1 is in Ark as well, and he has some stuff to tell, too!

@Jedi please correct me if i am wrong, it's been a while since i played those games.

Edited by Shrimperor

So it seems it is not actually a bad idea to start with Origin then? I started with I & II and played Origin just after them, and it felt pretty natural (just how it feels good to watch Star Wars in 4,5,6,1,2,3 order - maybe it's just me though), but I feel like starting with Origin is a way where you get a lot of spoilers to I & II. But then again, maybe it's just me.

Spoiler

For example, Feena turning out to be a goddess was a pretty big surprise for me, which couldn't have been, have I played Origin before. (Actually you get some references to this in the opening of I, but still...)

Also, an official PC port for Celceta would be great. Oh, and a remake/english release of V would be appreciated. (Maybe if LoD will have good sales on Switch and PC we can hope for that?)