Ys General: 8 launches June, Celceta PC in summer

Jedi

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I found the Chronology quite puzzling at times because I still have no clue as to how all the games link together.

The games make references to each other occasionally (mostly nods although it was a big point in Ark) but the series not going by chronological order in their numbering hurts. Thankfully Falcom released the chronological order for the games.

Timeline: Origin (not listed) >>>>>> 1&2 > Celceta > Oath > Kefin (no localized release; probably the next Ys game) > 8 > Ark > Seven

Ys timeline.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nisa, the company that does not stop giving.

Man, am i glad i bought Ys no Kiseki mini Ys7 a few days ago. I am having a blast atm, and i really needed a Ys game to play.

at those who are interested, i strongly suggest you go check out the older games, they are still on sale on Humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&search=ys

There is also a demo of Ys Origin here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/Ys_Origin/

Edited by Shrimperor

11 hours ago, Gemma said:

the most important Ys related question:

Feena or Reah?

Reah, easily.

On that note

Toal x Reah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Adol x Feena

On another Note, just finished Trails of Ys - Light Ys 7 yesterday. Really really enjoyed it, and if it weren't for some little annoyances, would've been my fav. Ys so far

Gameplay: I really like the Party system, even if the Ai was dumb sometimes, and love the skill system as well (altough it needs some polish), the game is still the super fast Ys we know and love. However, i really really miss jumping, and am not really a big fan of the Guard Button/Flash guarding, especially since sometimes you really need to mash that button like there is no tomorrow.

Final Boss: He is no Galbalan, but he was still pretty tough & fun, however i am really super annoyed by the preset Teams in the Final Battles, and the fact that there is no saving between battles, so you have to do it all in one go. Thankfully you could still retry each phase alone. However i like that they made it like Sky3rd final battle, just needs a better execution

Story: Oh Boy. Finally an Ys Game with some story Focus haha. It felt like i was playing Sky sometimes. Infact, the whole game is Trails in the Sky Trilogy condensed in one game (pre Prison Escape = FC, Post Prison = SC, final dungeon = 3rd.). Even tough the Story was predictable (except that the King's murderer was Scias, that took me by surprise, as i suspected PM so he can remove old town.), it's a start in the right direction. Altough i am a bit annoyed that it does have little connection to the other games, except for Geis.

Tl;dr: Ys is moving in the right direction with that Title, just needs some polishing here and there (which according to alot of People is what Ys8 does... If we ever get to play it, that is. Thanks NISA)
I will rate it a bit below Origin, so, so far

Ys Oath >= Ys Origin > Ys 7 > Ys 2 >  Ys 1 > Ys 6

Dogi x Wall best ship

and no Feena love?

Also, I remember really liking all of the bosses in Ys 7. It's been a while since I've played through it, but not too long ago I fiddled with the game for funsies, kinda felt like the combat was a bit busted after playing through the other Ys games, lol.

14 hours ago, Gemma said:

the most important Ys related question:

Feena or Reah?

That's a hard one - for me at least - since I liked Feena in I, but then again Reah was better in Origin so I'll probably choose her this time. Either way, 

Spoiler

Hugo x Epona (I'm pretty sure that's her name, but it sounds a bit weird now) is the best ship imo :D Not gonna lie, her death in Hugo's route made me shed a tear (just checked, it's alright that's her name)

Edited by coldhand25

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

Dogi x Wall best ship

and no Feena love?

Also, I remember really liking all of the bosses in Ys 7. It's been a while since I've played through it, but not too long ago I fiddled with the game for funsies, kinda felt like the combat was a bit busted after playing through the other Ys games, lol.

I like Feena but I have bias for Toal & Reah. 

Ys 7 is fun because its really fast, it can be a tad jank though haha.

A bit busted, but that's what makes it so fun~

Also I haven't played through Origins yet, so I guess I'm missing out on some of the hype.

I played a bit over break though, it seems like a slick version of Ys 6.

So i've been meaning to ask, what's the overall tone of the Ys games? Is it more serious but still have humor occasionally like the Xeno games or is it more lighthearted but with serious moments like the Tales games?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

So i've been meaning to ask, what's the overall tone of the Ys games? Is it more serious but still have humor occasionally like the Xeno games or is it more lighthearted but with serious moments like the Tales games?

Tends to depend on the game but there are both comedic and serious moments.

Some are much more serious than others, but it never goes into super dark territory, usually.

I think the defining tone of Ys is the sense of adventure. Each game, Adol winds up in a new area of the world, and the lore hypes him up by saying that what makes all his feats so marvelous is the fact that at his core he is driven by his desire to journey, not really seeking anything else.

There's cool environments and intense bosses, and the lore is kinda dramatic.

That being said, I agree its probably an even mix of both. Not as silly as Tales though, lol.

9 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I think the defining tone of Ys is the sense of adventure. Each game, Adol winds up in a new area of the world, and the lore hypes him up by saying that what makes all his feats so marvelous is the fact that at his core he is driven by his desire to journey, not really seeking anything else.

There's cool environments and intense bosses, and the lore is kinda dramatic.

That being said, I agree its probably an even mix of both. Not as silly as Tales though, lol.

Yeah Adol, just travels the land from each place to the next seeking nothing but new adventure, pretty much sums it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!
I bought Ys VIII a few months ago on PS4, played a bit and liked it, but I put it back down for the single reason that I feel like I'm constantly doing things wrong and I find it kind of intimidating getting back into it because of that. Do you have any tips on what to look out for? What to avoid?

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Hi!
I bought Ys VIII a few months ago on PS4, played a bit and liked it, but I put it back down for the single reason that I feel like I'm constantly doing things wrong and I find it kind of intimidating getting back into it because of that. Do you have any tips on what to look out for? What to avoid?

I haven't played 8 unfortunately yet, but maybe someone here who has can help.

• 1 month later...

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/976508092450979840

Switch version launches June 26th in America and June 29th in Europe.

Memories of Celceta which was only on the Vita meanwhile will be launching on PC this summer https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/ys-memories-of-celceta-will-arrive-on-pc-this-summer/

Edited by Jedi

June 26th seems like a good release date for me. As far as i'm aware, there's nothing else in the radar for me during that time so i should hopefully be able to pick it up.

4 hours ago, Tonton said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'm just reporting on what they're saying

Yeah sorry the comment wasn't needed. 

Thank you for the report, hope it does pan out.