Ys General: 8 launches June, Celceta PC in summer

Jedi

As expected there's been huge backlash against NISA's PC port of Ys 8, the scores on steam being very negative mostly due to crashes, and the like. 

So i'd suggest you play the original Vita version, PS4 ver or the upcoming Switch ver, or just play the original Japanese not tainted by NISA.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, and here I was hoping we would get something nice... Seems like I will really have to buy a Vita after all, I mean a portable Ys-machine sounds kinda cool, but with the release of Celceta I'm not sure. Guess I will wait til then, maybe Ys VIII will get some patches by that time. Would be nice at least.

Hey uh, so just to confirm, it doesn't actually matter which Ys game i start with, right? I found out that my PC can in fact run PSP games and Ys has a few games on there so i can probably play one of them once i finish Trails in the Sky (that's how i found out my PC runs PSP games).

@Armagon No, it doesn't really matter which one you start with. Also, most Ys games are available for PC, so you don't even need to play the PSP versions. I'm gonna drop a link here, there you can check the recommended orders to play the game.
http://www.digitalemelas.com/index_ys.php#order

The one I recommend (but not necessarily the best) is the Story Path, but since the games are pretty much episodes from Adol's adventures (except Origin) there is not really an order to play them. You can pretty much start wherever you want, however playing Origins only after I & II is strongly recommended, since Origins contains quite a lot spoilers for I & II.

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

oh my gosh how sloppy.

It's a real bummer, I just keep hearing again and again how botched the translation is.

Honestly at this rate I'm highly considering getting the game in Japanese just so I don't support NISA, i've heard Ys 8 is fantastic but its hard to support such a sloppy localization, and some people want these people instead of Xseed to localize Cold Steel III, its a joke.

Edited by Jedi

On 4/17/2018 at 4:14 AM, coldhand25 said:

@Armagon No, it doesn't really matter which one you start with. Also, most Ys games are available for PC, so you don't even need to play the PSP versions. I'm gonna drop a link here, there you can check the recommended orders to play the game.
http://www.digitalemelas.com/index_ys.php#order

The one I recommend (but not necessarily the best) is the Story Path, but since the games are pretty much episodes from Adol's adventures (except Origin) there is not really an order to play them. You can pretty much start wherever you want, however playing Origins only after I & II is strongly recommended, since Origins contains quite a lot spoilers for I & II.

Yeah, i'll take your advice and play Origins after I and II (though with a name like Origins, you'd think it would come first). Besides that, i think i'll play in any order. 

The real question is if my PC will be able to run Origins in the first place. My PC is capable of running anything up to the PS1 smoothly, with GameCube emulation possible but the sound....becomes a thing. PSP works wonderfully as well while DS sucks on my PC. Given that Origins is also PS4, Vita AND Xbone game, i'm concerned. I mean, i haven't tried Vita but given that my PC can barely run PS2 games (learned that the hard way with Xenosaga, couldn't even get past the first cutscene), i don't see how it'd be able to run console games past that.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Honestly at this rate I'm highly considering getting the game in Japanese just so I don't support NISA, i've heard Ys 8 is fantastic but its hard to support such a sloppy localization, and some people want these people instead of Xseed to localize Cold Steel III, its a joke.

How bad is NISA's localization of Ys 8, exactly? Like, i saw that one screenshot where they forgot to translate the text but like, is stuff like that plauging the game or is just another FE Fates situation?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

How bad is NISA's localization of Ys 8, exactly? Like, i saw that one screenshot where they forgot to translate the text but like, is stuff like that plauging the game or is just another FE Fates situation?

It was worse before they had to "fix it" I'm not sure how much better it is now, but considering mistakes like this still exist after a several month revise, it's kind of telling.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

The real question is if my PC will be able to run Origins in the first place.

I think if it can handle emulators it should be able to handle Origins as well. The PC release is from 2006, I don't think anyone had an XONE or PS4 equivalent PC back then :D Anyway, giving it a try can never hurt. I'm gonna put a link here (once again) for the system requirements, You can check them out here: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3695&game=Ys Origin

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

It was worse before they had to "fix it" I'm not sure how much better it is now, but considering mistakes like this still exist after a several month revise, it's kind of telling.

But like, how bad was the localization? I keep hearing it's bad but aside from that one screenshot, i don't really have anything to go off of. What exactly were the problems with the original localization?

8 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

I think if it can handle emulators it should be able to handle Origins as well. The PC release is from 2006, I don't think anyone had an XONE or PS4 equivalent PC back then :D Anyway, giving it a try can never hurt. I'm gonna put a link here (once again) for the system requirements, You can check them out here: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3695&game=Ys Origin

Ok so um, i actually don't know much about my own PC (it's a laptop btw). All i know is that it's Intel and that's really it. Don't really know what my graphics model or anything like that is so i'm just gonna post a screenshot of what my PC tells me to see if you or anyone else can help out. I mean, i imagine that PC game from 2006 isn't gonna be hard to run but just to be on the safe side.

zHx9UKq.png

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

But like, how bad was the localization? I keep hearing it's bad but aside from that one screenshot, i don't really have anything to go off of. What exactly were the problems with the original localization?

Mistranslated location names, constant spelling errors, Japanese text randomly popping up like seen in the revision, memes and references ala Disgaea, mischaracterization, description mistakes, name switches for no reason.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/10/16455388/ys-8-localization-translation-patch-ps4-vita 

https://kotaku.com/nis-america-is-redoing-ys-viiis-shoddy-localization-1819332350

Edited by Jedi

34 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Mistranslated location names, constant spelling errors, Japanese text randomly popping up like seen in the revision, memes and references ala Disgaea, mischaracterization, description mistakes, name switches for no reason.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/10/16455388/ys-8-localization-translation-patch-ps4-vita 

https://kotaku.com/nis-america-is-redoing-ys-viiis-shoddy-localization-1819332350

Ooof, that's pretty bad. Like, some of it is just a repeat of FE Fates localization (which isn't....that bad) but when you've got description mistakes and Japanese text popping and remnants of Japanese structuring (and stuff like "my name is Alison. Call me Alison" like, what), that's just unacceptable.

I'll admit though, i did get a chuckle out of reading "Archeozoic Big Hole". I'm also gonna gonna forgive them a bit for translating "Baja" as "Baha" because as a fluent Spanish speaker, i know full well that the Spanish pronounce the letter "j" the same way the English pronounce the letter "h" so that's probably what mixed them up....i think. 

You did mention how you didn't like NISA localizing Falcom games so i'm guessing stuff like this happens consistently and it's not just a Ys 8-exclusive thing?

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok so um, i actually don't know much about my own PC (it's a laptop btw). All i know is that it's Intel and that's really it. Don't really know what my graphics model or anything like that is so i'm just gonna post a screenshot of what my PC tells me to see if you or anyone else can help out. I mean, i imagine that PC game from 2006 isn't gonna be hard to run but just to be on the safe side.

Hmm, it's a hard one. As far as I understand, it should run. I say should, because I'm not sure. Your cpu is definitely weaker (1.6 ghz) than what the game requires (1.8 ghz), but it might still be able to run it. As for graphics, I think you are good to go. RAM is more than enough, so it ultimately comes down to cpu. However, there are some good news. I was able to play AND enjoy it on an even weaker cpu. It was smooth 30 fps (don't kill me for calling 30 fps smooth) most of the time with some drops at certain parts. So, you should be able to play it, but I don't want to say it for sure, as I haven't tested it myself on a system like yours (but as I've said, I was able to play it on a system weaker than yours, so...)

Edited by coldhand25

3 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

Hmm, it's a hard one. As far as I understand, it should run. I say should, because I'm not sure. Your cpu is definitely weaker (1.6 ghz) than what the game requires (1.8 ghz), but it might still be able to run it. As for graphics, I think you are good to go. RAM is more than enough, so it ultimately comes down to cpu. However, there are some good news. I was able to play AND enjoy it on an even weaker cpu. It was smooth 30 fps (don't kill me for calling 30 fps smooth) most of the time with some drops at certain parts. So, you should be able to play it, but I don't want to say it for sure, as I haven't tested it myself on a system like yours (but as I've said, I was able to play it on a system weaker than yours, so...)

Alright, that's reassuring, thanks. And yeah, 30 fps is fine. I'm one of those people who legitimately can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:59 AM, Jedi said:

Honestly at this rate I'm highly considering getting the game in Japanese just so I don't support NISA

Says the guy who's at the height of a DanganRonpa addiction.

Unless you just pirated it all, in which case at least you get points for being a man of your word.

5 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Says the guy who's at the height of a DanganRonpa addiction.

Unless you just pirated it all, in which case at least you get points for being a man of your word.

Spike Chunsoft themselves publish the Steam versions, if I got the console versions I'd be giving NISA money, but since I got the steam versions I'm not.

(they actually do an alright job with DR anyways, they put actual effort in there, despite the some grammar and occasional spelling mistakes).

44 minutes ago, Rapier said:

So, are there even plans to fix the crap that the Ys 8 port turned out to be? I kinda wanted to play it and I only own a PC.

I haven't seen anything regarding that unfortunately.

On 22/04/2018 at 11:56 PM, Rapier said:

So, are there even plans to fix the crap that the Ys 8 port turned out to be? I kinda wanted to play it and I only own a PC.

Seems they've have been putting out daily updates on Steam so far but it's still in a really poor state

Well, NISA did make a pronounciation about the dissatisfactory localization. At least they know they really messed up badly. Now to hope that they show us solutions to the mess they got themselves in.

Another thing I just saw is they seem to be extending the launch promotion with some free DLC until May 15 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/announcements/detail/1649883812469405908

This just feels like they couldn't delay any further and just released it in Early Access instead