I want to live in a cool loft

Junkhead

I want to jump into the wild and go live by myself to some cool loft in NY or Miami (more familiar with the latter). What kind of job can I aim for so I can get that sort of income?

Preferably something that allows me to progress into the within a year or two.

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

This isn't FftF, you know. Thought people would initially expect as much, just by looking at the title.

Regardless, I'm quite series about it. "Get rich quick"? Maybe- but not necessarily. It seems feasible, at least for my current goal.

You can forget about living in NYC lol. We have enough people crowding up our buses and trains. Besides why live here? It's too expensive. Even with minimum wage being bumped up to $13/hour, it's still not enough to comfortably live alone. Hope you find a job with at least a yearly salary of $30,000.

29 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

This isn't FftF, you know. Thought people would initially expect as much, just by looking at the title.

Regardless, I'm quite series about it. "Get rich quick"? Maybe- but not necessarily. It seems feasible, at least for my current goal.

Have you looked into prices? 

It is hard to take this thread serious when what you're asking for actually requires research and time and dedication. You can't just one day say "Well I want to live in France, let me ask my peeps on SF how I go about doing that" and expect us to just, give you the perfect game plan and 2 years from now you upload a picture in the picture thread with you in France saying "thanks guys!"

I think you need to be a bit more realistic. I am willing to help as much as I can though :D: SO my first question is:
Do you even have any type of academic qualifications in a field that makes a marginally high amount of money?

Edited by Arcanite

I actualy used to live in the Washington Heights neighborhood, and it is in new york, has lofts, and is sort of affordable. It's also almost an hour commute from midtown, and is not a great nighborhood (although i lived there for 4 years without anything bad happening to me), but you can't have everything. Expensive cities tend to have a few neighborhoods like that, if you know where to look.

What about moving into a loft in a less "hot" city? lots of cities in the US have nice downtowns, that are apperently pretty cheap. I'm talking pitsburg or detroit (whose infamious rot does not effect the core downtown.) In fact, most cities in the US are vastly cheaper than New York. This includes chicago, Philidelphia, and pretty much everywhere that is not on either cost (especialy texas).

Note that I gave you no job advice. That's because getting a really well paying job is REALLY HARD, especialy if you don't have educational credentials. I hear coding pays pretty well, and you can study that online for cheap, but employers really expect a college degree nowadays.

Edited by sirmola

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You can forget about living in NYC lol. We have enough people crowding up our buses and trains. Besides why live here? It's too expensive. Even with minimum wage being bumped up to $13/hour, it's still not enough to comfortably live alone. Hope you find a job with at least a yearly salary of $30,000.

Because it looks cool? Can't give you a detailed answer, but every one bachelor not living in the U.S (hell, maybe even those who do) want to try- or at least, look into it.

$13 sounds very good compared to the $8.5 I was aware of in Miami (at least, last year or so). Sounds good unless it's proportional and scales differently.

38 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

It is hard to take this thread serious when what you're asking for actually requires research and time and dedication. You can't just one day say "Well I want to live in France, let me ask my peeps on SF how I go about doing that" and expect us to just, give you the perfect game plan and 2 years from now you upload a picture in the picture thread with you in France saying "thanks guys!"

And this is what I'm doing. Like, actually asking. This is it, this is how it starts. Can't research something I don't even know about.

Do you even have any type of academic qualifications in a field that makes a marginally high amount of money?

No. And hence, why I'm asking. It'd be a start.

6 minutes ago, sirmola said:

What about moving into a loft in a less "hot" city? lots of cities in the US have nice downtowns, that are apperently pretty cheap. I'm talking pitsburg or detroit (whose infamious rot does not effect the core downtown.) In fact, most cities in the US are vastly cheaper than New York. This includes chicago, Philidelphia, and pretty much everywhere that is not on either cost (especialy texas).

Might've gotten that impression at the top of my head due to it's popularity, yeah. When I think pinnacle of "nice, lively city"...well, you usually know where to go. In my case, I'm not all too familiar. I did hear Chicago has a bit of that vibe going. And if Vampire Diaries is anything to go by, it was pretty lit...no pun intended?

I'm really taking suggestions, so they're well-welcome.

Note that I gave you no job advice. That's because getting a really well paying job is REALLY HARD, especialy if you don't have educational credentials. I hear coding pays pretty well, and you can study that online for cheap, but emloyers really expect a college degree nowadays.

Is it really up to a "really well-paying" job, though? Doesn't have to be a huge apartment with 3 rooms...anything for a one guy along the sort works for me (you know, assuming it's still a nice loft). Again, I'm also taking any suggestion on this. I don't know what kind of job does that sort of income and that's relatively quick (or on the quicker side, if you will).

I apologise if the question seems picky, I just try to be as specific as I can be at the moment.

Edited by Soul~!

11 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Can't research something I don't even know about.

You do realize people research things, because they don't know about them, right?

12 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

No. And hence, why I'm asking. It'd be a start.

Insurance Adjusters work for 50 - 60+ k a year I think

And I'm pretty sure that's at entry level. In order to be more competitive you'd need a degree but they actually hire high school graduates, if you think you can somehow get a job with no qualifications. You really only need an Associate's or Bachelor's though so

That seems like fast easy money but it takes work since others will also be competing for a position like that, with better koalafications.

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

You do realize people research things, because they don't know about them, right?

I think people heavily understimate the "not knowing part". You can't even formulate questions properly because you have no idea what to even ask.

This is my idea of research. Start simple, ask casually and ask around your network- yes, this is basically it, for me. This is my "network". I can't ask anyone around here (in my real life) since they're not from the U.S and haven't done anything of the sort.

Insurance Adjusters work for 50 - 60+ k a year I think

And I'm pretty sure that's at entry level. In order to be more competitive you'd need a degree but they actually hire high school graduates, if you think you can somehow get a job with no qualifications. You really only need an Associate's or Bachelor's though so

That seems like fast easy money but it takes work since others will also be competing for a position like that

See? There we go. I actually appreciate it. I'll be keeping that in mind and looking into it.

Thanks.

koalafications.

:awesome:

Hmm, I got the impression that you were a lot younger. Anyways, as with any place you live, the cost of living is relative to the salary you make. Hence why NYC's minimum wage is pretty high, because even 1 bedroom apartments will cost you $1500+ a month. You can get lucky and find something cheaper but it won't be anywhere extravagant. In fact, it'll be in a dangerous neighborhood most likely lol. I'm just letting you know that NYC specifically is severely overrated. I've only lived upstate for a year and it's not my thing. I prefer the city since I've lived here my whole life but I'm in Queens where it's a nice balance between suburban and urban. Stay away from Manhattan unless it's work or visiting lol.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hmm, I got the impression that you were a lot younger. Anyways, as with any place you live, the cost of living is relative to the salary you make. Hence why NYC's minimum wage is pretty high, because even 1 bedroom apartments will cost you $1500+ a month. You can get lucky and find something cheaper but it won't be anywhere extravagant. In fact, it'll be in a dangerous neighborhood most likely lol. I'm just letting you know that NYC specifically is severely overrated. I've only lived upstate for a year and it's not my thing. I prefer the city since I've lived here my whole life but I'm in Queens where it's a nice balance between suburban and urban. Stay away from Manhattan unless it's work or visiting lol.

I think I'm your age, but I have a lot less life experience and probably equivalent to a 15-year old.

Since you know a lot more firsthand, I'm also willing to hear any more you've got to say. So far, I'm listenting.

My ideal would be in the city, since urban places were never really my thing.

okay wow that was quick

research.png

Edited by Soul~!

26 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Is it really up to a "really well-paying" job, though? Doesn't have to be a huge apartment with 3 rooms...anything for a one guy along the sort works for me (you know, assuming it's still a nice loft).

New York is REALLY expensive, even for a loft. It is also a rather "love it or hate it" city. I loved living there, but many people do not.

I lived in chicago as a kid, and it does have "that vibe" going. Definitely check it out.

I reccomend getting an idea of prices by going to a rental website like zillow (which you can have show rentals instead of houses) or hotpads. I just got a nice one bedroom in the bay area for a relitively reasionable price by doing that. It's also a nice neighborhood, but is a longish commute.

14 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

You can't even formulate questions properly because you have no idea what to even ask.

2 hours ago, Soul~! said:

What kind of job can I aim for so I can get that sort of income?

Google:
High income jobs
Rent in NY
Rent in Miami
Good jobs for living in NY
Good jobs for living in Miami

It actually doesnt get any simpler than that

16 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

This is my idea of research. Start simple, ask casually and ask around your network- yes, this is basically it, for me. This is my "network". I can't ask anyone around here (in my real life) since they're not from the U.S and haven't done anything of the sort.

I feel google would tell you more, but I guess that's fair enough
After all, google isn't a robot :smug:

16 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

See? There we go. I actually appreciate it. I'll be keeping that in mind and looking into it.

Thanks.

I think it is also worth noting that if you're going to pursue anything Academic you should also look into getting some sort of grant, if you can~

17 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I think it is also worth noting that if you're going to pursue anything Academic you should also look into getting some sort of grant, if you can~

What do you mean?

1 minute ago, Soul~! said:

What do you mean?

Financial aid vs student loan. With grants/aid, you get money based on your financial need and you don't need to pay it back unless you drop out. Loans, you need to pay back after graduating and with interest.

Just now, Soul~! said:

What do you mean?

As I was typing that I was hoping you'd know what that is but it seems I was wrong...

Well here's a piece of info

Grants for college students fall across two broad categories, depending on what eligibility requirements are attached to the funds.  Need-based grants are issued to students exhibiting the greatest levels of financial hardship in paying for college. On the other hand, merit-based grants are tied to performance-like good grades and other personal achievements.

Basically, depending on what you're doing you can get a partial payment on your tuition

If you're good looking/cute/youthful looking, get a sugar daddy/mama to pay it for you.

BAM. Easy.

If you're not good looking, then what SKILLS do have? Having a certain degree can help you find a job. If you have a business degree, you'll have a lot of opportunities to find a job, since business covers a wide range of occupations.

If you don't have a degree, can't sell your looks to a sugar parent, and you don't have some sort super talent you can exploit (like an athletic champion or something), then the loft idea strays farther away, at least what I think a loft looks like.

5 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

As I was typing that I was hoping you'd know what that is but it seems I was wrong...

Well here's a piece of info

Basically, depending on what you're doing you can get a partial payment on your tuition

Figured it'd be something different than the usual use of the word in the context "to gain".

Not looking into debts. That's off the list.

4 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

If you're good looking/cute/youthful looking, get a sugar daddy/mama to pay it for you.

BAM. Easy.

well I'm not quite there yet but I'll get there :D

Not sure if it's Ashton Kutcher-level in the movie, "Spread", though.

12 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Figured it'd be something different than the usual use of the word in the context "to gain".

well I'm not quite there yet but I'll get there :D

Not sure if it's Ashton Kutcher-level in the movie, "Spread", though.

there's a more direct method than finding a sugar daddy.

17 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Not looking into debts.

Thats what grants are for

for less debt

you dont have to pay it unless you drop out

Depending on the course you might still have to pay loans though so

21 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

It is POSSIBLE to get yourself through college without debts, by working a job or two and getting a lot of grants/scholorships. Note that going to a publicly run school (such as a city college), makes this much easier, as they are much cheaper.

Also don't fall into the trap of "pristine" colleges. People pay more money to go to NYU when they're just getting the same education as Queens College students. Who's the smarter one?