What are your favorite gaming genres? Least favorite?

Ronnie

Favorites: Fighting, RPGs, hack and slash, racing, action adventure, platformers.

Least favorites: First person anything and visual novels.

I like fighting games the most as it's a lot of fun to look at the character select, choose a character that stands out to me, and learn their moves. I like the friendly yet competitive nature of playing local matches with friends while kicking ass and listening to rocking music. Basically I like video games that FEEL like video games. Not just playing a movie but a video game ass video game. Rules of Nature and all that.

Edited by Ronnie

Favorites:

• RPGs, especially classic turn-based JRPGs
  • Whatever genre the mainline Zelda games are
  • Platformers

Least Favorites:

• Anything first-person. I just hate first-person as a camera perspective in general
  • Horror... I actually don't know if this counts as a genre of game or just a genre of subject matter, but in any medium I don't have the stomach for it at all

Y'know what... on that note, I'm generally more deterred by subject matter than by gameplay genre when it comes to games. Like, there are some types of gameplay I like more than others but I can derive enjoyment out of most of them provided the specific game is a well-designed instance of that genre.

Edited by Topaz Light

37 minutes ago, Topaz Light said:

Y'know what... on that note, I'm generally more deterred by subject matter than by gameplay genre when it comes to games. Like, there are some types of gameplay I like more than others but I can derive enjoyment out of most of them provided the specific game is a well-designed instance of that genre.

I can see that. Except in my case it's not so much well-designed but rather the series. I don't really care for third person shooters but when Senran Kagura decides to release one with water guns and bikinis then sign me up.

Favorite: Games that allow me to sit and think, music games (don't ask how this works)

Least favorite: Whatever makes me sick

I'm not talking about game subject/content.  I'm talking about games whose camera/graphics/controls are such that I get motion sick when I play the game.  Unfortunately, this is just about every last FPS and most action RPGs.

Favourite: To be honest, I like pretty much every genre, but my favourite is probably RPG.

Least Favourite: First person shooters. Things like Call of Duty. I really can't stand those games.

Favorites: Beat em' up/Hack n' Slash/3D Brawler, Shooters, platformers

Least favorites: Match 4 games, crafting-centric survival games, visual novels/dating sims.

I'll play any genre, but my love is for games with a kinetic feel. Any game where nothing is stopping me from always moving and accomplishing objectives at a pace that correlates with my skill and understanding of mechanics. 

Favorites: RPG/JRPG's, Some Shooters (not a big fan of COD for example but sign me up for Battlefront 2 despite EA), Action/Adventure, Crossover games (Something about a good crossover makes it memorable), and some fighting games(So never played Tekken but I'm at least decent at Smash and still trying to improve in DOA and Street Fighter)

Least Favorite: Sports games, Platformers (There are exceptions like Galaxy, Odyssey, and Sonic Colors that are in my personal collection), never got into Puzzle games (like Candycrush or whatever), and never got into Visual Novels. Also anything that has any amount of blood and gore turns me away (One game or two I think are the exception to this), and also no horror and no games focusing on crime.

Favorites: RPG/JRPGs, platformers, action platformers, adventure, fighting, crossover, some shooters (Kid Icarus: Uprsing and Splatoon), racing (but only if it's Mario Kart).

Least Favorties: Exclusively-puzzle games (so Zelda doesn't count), rhythm games, sports games

Depends: life-simulators. Like, stuff like Animal Crossing, i don't like, but i do enjoy Rune Factory quite a bit and i could probably get into Stardew Valley.

Favorite:First- and third-person shooters, action RPGs, turn-based strategy.

Least Favorite:Visual novels, most turn-based, plot-heavy (J)RPGs, generally anything with a stupid/childish concept, also VR sucks ass.

I don't have much patience for plot in video games, if I want story I'll read a book(TV and movies are trash lmao).

Probably kind of the same as TC.

I generally find myself liking simulation games lately.  No, not stuff like "Goat Sim" or the plethora of other "X Sim" games.  I mean stuff like SRPG's, Sims, Sim City, and stuff where I'm just managing things.  I also like games that let me RP, some fighting games, the big platformers (don't have time to play indies that have tacked on gimmicks), and Metal Gear, along with maybe other assorted stuff.

I dislike... well, it's easy to put down FPS's.  And to be totally fair, I actually did enjoy Battlefield 3 (which is the only game I played in the series) and older CoD.  But I kind of hate what CoD has become, and there aren't many other FPS games that draw me in.  I also have a really hard time getting into traditional JRPG's lately.  And horror isn't really my cup of tea; the earlier Resident Evil games are sort of an exception because they're more in that silly B-Horror range that I like.  Nothing these days is really like classic RE anymore; they all take themselves seriously.

Sports... can be a mixed bag.  Depends.  I don't care for football or soccer at all, and a lot of the more official stuff is a turn off for me.  I do remember playing NBA and Tiger Woods games as a kid, so from the official sports stuff, I guess I was into basketball and golf.  And I also liked Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, and the Wii Sports stuff.  These days I don't bother with the sports games, but I don't have an adamant disdain for them.

Oh, and there's also racing games...  I sort of like them.  Prefer the Nintendo racing games, like F-Zero or Mario Kart.  Racing as someone like Captain Falcon or Luigi is so much funner than racing as... 1998 Honda Accord or unnamed street racer?

Favorites : Puzzle games , Platforming Games

Least Favorite - RPGs, Fighting Games

A note about my console ownership history 

N64>GBC>GCN > GBA >PS2> Wii > DS >Wii U > Xbox 360 > 3DS> PS4 

Argument for Puzzle Games

Puzzle games are under constant siege by mediocre developers, but if you stop and think about a lineup like tetris/lemmings/puyo puyo / Qix / Picross / Solomon's Key /Mr. Driller /  Head and Heels / Solstice /Bust a move / Blast Corps / Pokemon Puzzle Leauge / Sokobon / Lode Runner / Advemtures of Lolo / Super Monkey Ball / Aqua Aqua / Bombastic / Portal / The Witness / Stephen's Sausage Roll. It becomes hard for me to think of a genre that can really compete, even though I love tons of games in tons of genres.

I think that the popular bias against Puzzle games is due to a couple of factors -A: Cheap Flash and Phone games (not that their aren't cheaply made puzzle games for consoles/handhelds) B: Puzzle elements in non-puzzle games. Zelda and a number of RPGs being the bigggest offenders. Although I think that the kind of puzzles that Zelda uses does benefit their own games, I think that it hurts people's idea of puzzles as a whole due to neccesarily being a little short and not overly difficult to get through, not to mention overly "match the item" in games like OOT and TP. Most people regard puzzle games as "casual" which many game developer's are happy to attempt to make into truth, but it really shouldn't be.  time yourself playing Lemmings or Super Monkey Ball and then time yourself playing Dark Souls

Argument for Platforming Games

I started with pretty much Mario and Rareware,  and I've rarely found them wanting. Later I would open up to PSX and PS2 platformers, and then I would go on a wild exploration of Genesis/NES/SNES and while I do think I'm starting to prefer 2D platform games to 3D ones, it isn't to the extent that I can't enjoy 3D platformers at all anymore, and in fact I still fall in love with them over and over again. 

Argument against RPGs

I used to really love RPGs, but eventually they  broke me. You could say that I "love them while playing them but hate them when not playing them".

It's hard to piece together the chronology due to the volume of games I played, but it went something like this. (leaving out subtypes like Symphony of the Night, Mario Tennis GBC,  Star Control 2) SRPGs are included for special reasons.... 

Pokemon Red> Paper Mario>Pokemon Silver>Chrono Trigger > Dragon Quest 8 > Pokemon Sapphire > Paper Mario Thousand Year Door > Baten Kaitos > Tales of Symphonia > Final Fantasy Tactics Advance > FE9 > Skies of Arcadia > Chrono Cross > Mario Super Star Saga > Dragon Quest 9 > Arc the Lad Trilogy  >  Golden Sun: Dark Dawn > Langrisser > Phantasy Star 4 >Golden Sun > Final Fantasy 4 > Lufia 2 > Lunar:Silver Story > Suikeoden 2 >  Ogre Battle 64 > Tales of Phantasia >Super Mario RPG: Legend of 7 stars>   Disgaea 1 > Mario and Lugia: Partners in Time > Final Fantasy 7 > Final Fantasy 8 > Final Fantasy 9 > Final Fantasy 10 > Vagrant Story >  Grandia 2 > Xenogears> YS Book 1&2> Final Fantasy Tactics > Tactics Ogre >  XCOM > Final Fantasy Tacctics A2 > The Dark Spire > Etrian Odyssey 2 > SMT 4 > FE13 > Front Mission > Front Mission 4 > Front Mission: Gun Hazard > Front Mission 3 > Disgaea 3 > Sakura Wars Wii > Brigandine > Vandal Hearts >  Shining Force 2 > SMT Nocture >  FE 10 >FE 11> FE 14 > Borderlands 2 > Guild Wars> FE5 > Final Fantasy 5 >FE3 >FE4> FE2> FE1> FE6> FE7>FE15>FE12> Baldur's Gate 2 >  YS Origins >Front Mission > Wizardry > Wizardry 4 > Bard's Tale 2 > Ultima 4 > Planescape Torment > Divinity: Original Sin >  Legend of Grimrock >Pool of Radiance > Wizardry 8 > Silent Storm > Jagged Alliance 2 > Divinity 2 > Persona 5

There are a couple of big turning points in my RPG history  :

Skies of Arcadia - the first game I ever consciously beat with a formula (buy 12 on-level healing items between each dungeon some other stuff).

Final Fantasy 6-10 - These games led me to developing a theory about a paradigm shift in RPGs during the 4th console generation to "ensure players of any ability can see all content" as well as pushing toward a fun "playground like" game design where you can mess around with giant class/skill trees, but not actually punished (with game becoming harder)if you used your freedom to take bad options

SMT 4 - A game I sought out after a string of games that in retrospect, were  known to be low difficulty on review websites. However, only parts of it delivered the challenge I was so desperate for.

Final Fantasy Tactics - This set up a binge of playing SRPGs, that I really enjoyed at the time,  although I've turned against all of them since.

Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars - Pretty much the reason I avoid a certain subgenre. 

Wizardry 4 - This game made me violently pro CRPG. It's difficult to explain what playing these are like after a long JRPG playing history, but it's an eye-opener for sure once you get past the oldness.

FE 1-5 - Kaga convinced me that my old opinions about the SRPG subgenre were wrong and that "SRPG" had been a marketing gimmick all along and that rightfully games in the genre don't deserve special protection from comparisons to mainline RPGs on the same systems as them. I can marathon games without running into a "fatique/burnout" problem normally, but some things really turned my stomach while playing these.

Persona 5 - You  might notice a serious lack of 7th and 8th console generation games, and I say this knowing that the PS4 in particular has an extremely strong RPG library (probbably the better even than PSX/SNES RPG libraries for someone still interested in the genre from what I can tell) However, the PS4 library's had strong games in other genres and I mostly didn't purchase more because it didn't occur to me than that I conscoulsy thought they looked bad (the relative cheapness of collecting past gen games also helped). I played Persona 5 and enjoyed it, but didn't see myself ever replaying it, so I pretty much sold it on amazon less than a week after finishing the story. I've never purchased Xenobalde Chronicles for the same reason as it's easy to foresee the same experience- it's the Chrono Cross story of having interesting and unique battle mechanics to draw me into finishing, but then I realize that I increasing let myself use the most straightforward strategy throughout the bulk of the game and completely let down the "promise" of said interesting mechanics. 

But at any rate - I now believe that their has been a fundamental misunderstanding of the idiom "Japan loves RPGs". I think it is more proper to say that Japan loves Light RPGs, and the Main RPGs that are popular in Japan consciously adopt Light RPG elements. This is borne out pretty well by Square / Enix / Nihon games. It is troubling because it has actuallly warped mainstream opinion of what a Main RPG is to the extent that the current "definition" is able to tolerate and even expect Light RPG elements. It is pretty telling that the actual"System Heavy" RPGs are more or less as niche in Japan as they are in the West. i understand that "story/setting" are the primary appeal of RPGs and not gameplay, but it annoys me more today than it ever did before.

Argument against Fighting Games

Fighting games I mostly dislike because at my house multiplayer games are played as "party games" regardless of the genre, but unlike  eg most wrestling games, one player will eventually master the mechanics and then there will be no fun playing anymore until I manage to train up the entire group. Which obviously takes too long compared to just popping in Rampage or Bomberman. I did enjoy Soul Calibur 2 and 3 due to their longer SingePlayer modes, and I have some memories of SF2 and KOF 98 but generally I avoid the genre due to not having anyone around who understands blocking, let alone quarter circle inputs.. 

Other Genres

Sports games and First Person Shooting games are really starting to grow on me even though I used to shun them as a nintendo kid. I think it's mostly because of how much I enjoy multiplayer  (that all players in a group can pick up quickly) I now love these two.

Back when I played mostly Mario Kart and it's clones I had a super positive opinion of racing games for similiar reasons, but as I played other games, although there were many that I liked, I found that I could only reasonably play them in Singleplayer, which was a harsh blow, but kind of inevitable. 

I like Strategy games, but not 4X games or strategy games with overly involved tech trees. I find slowly gaining an economic advantage and pushing people off their resources one by one to be oddly fascinating. I do not claim strategy games as a favorite genre because it would be interpreted too broadly (eg civilization) by people, and I would rather respect mainstream use of the genre label  than to bother with picking the relevant sub-genre as my favorite

Extreme Sports games have a troubled history (Mostly Activision and Co milking the Tony Hawk engine) .but Obviously Neversoft's Tony Hawk, SSX, certain BMX games, Sk8te,  and Aggresive Inline make a strong showing. On the other hand, the fact that the genre has more or less been absent for the last 2 console generations and that the few new games that appear have no way to compete against the "gatekeepers" of the genre, makes it impossible for me to pick it as a favorite in good faith. 

Favorites:

• Turn-based Strategy: I enjoy any game that makes me think, and I.
  • 4X Strategy: They're long for the right reasons, I enjoy how the game changes over time, and I love how it seems like I'm charting a course of fictional history.
  • Adventure: They're just fun. Not much more can be said, honestly.
  • Puzzle: As long as they don't resort to moon-logic, they can be enjoyable, and again, they make me think.
  • Platforming: They're a gaming stable, and rightfully so.

Depends:

• Tactical games: They alternate between fun and frustrating a little to easily for my liking.
  • Rougelike: Same problem as the above.
  • First Person Shooters: I enjoy most Star-Wars related shooters (Dark Forces, Battlefront, and Republic Commando) and had fun with a demo of the original Doom, but otherwise, they're a bit too similar to each other for me to pick and choose.
  • Third Person Shooters: I greatly enjoyed MechAssault, Mercenaries, and Battlefront, but otherwise, they have the same problem as FPS's; they're too similar to each other.
  • RPG: If they do something unique (such as the Mario & Luigi series) I tend to enjoy them, but otherwise, I find the general gameplay to be a bit boring honestly, and I never liked how number-heavy many of these games are.

Don't Care for:

• Sports: They just don't interest me, but I don't dislike them at all either.
  • Racing: Mario Kart is fun, and I've tried F-Zero X and greatly enjoyed it (partially because you can finish a race in less than two minutes), but as a whole, the genre just doesn't interest me.
  • Rhythm: They can be fun, but they're not a genre I'd go out of my way to play.

Dislike:

• Bullet Hell: How the heck am I supposed to simultaneously stay alive while defeating the enemy in all this mayhem?!?!
  • Fighting: I just can't pull of combos. It doesn't help that I find many of the combinations to be unintuitive, and I can never pull one off confidently. About the only fighting game I'm good at is Smash Bros, and even then I main Ike, who relies largely on single, powerful attacks.
  • MOBA: They're a bit too competitive for my liking, and I don't like "click a thousand times to win" kind of games in general.
  • Horror: This problem applies , but I end up in an unappealing paradox no matter what: Either I'm not scared and can predict what's going to happen, and thus have wasted my time and money, or they succeed too well and I'm psychologically scarred for a few days, and I like to sleep at night.

Favorite Genres
Platformers. Because they're typically good action games.
Shoot 'em ups. But only when they're not trial-and-error.
Racing games. But only when they're fast.
Action-adventure games. That means Metroid and Zelda.
Puzzle games. But only when they're unique, quality puzzles. None of that "match-3" garbage churned out for a quick buck.
Strategy games. But no dice-roll combat.

Least Favorite Genres
First-Person Shooters. Because the market is over-saturated and they all look the same.
MOBAs. Because they all look the same.
Sports and simulations. Because my goal is to escape real life, not recreate it.
Fighting games. Many have bad controls and rely more on muscle memory than strategy.
Gambling. Gambling is bad. This includes CCGs and games with loot boxes.
Interactive books/movies that pretend to be games. Visual novels, Journey, etc.

12 minutes ago, Zera said:

Fighting games. Many have bad controls and rely more on muscle memory than strategy.

Not at all. It's all about strategy. Memorizing a flashy combo means nothing if you don't know the right opening to use it. Bad controls? Maybe some indie fighting game but the majority (all the well known series) like Street Fighter, Soulcalibur, King of Fighters, etc. have solid controls.

Favourites:

- RPG, so long as there isn't any "This seemingly minor quest/question actually has massive negative consequences if you miss it"
- Action Adventure 
- Strategy
- Racing Games (well, Mario Kart).

Least Favourites:

- First-Person anything, but particularly shooters.
- MMORPGs: they overcharge, servers are bad, gameplay is usually overrated, etc.
- Sports Games
- Online PVP Games
- Cheap App Puzzle Games (I have no idea what the actual name for the genre is, so I went with something I hope describes it effectively
- Any game where the combat is all about either pulling off massively-complicated combos, or constant gimmick exploiting. I much prefer a game where I have to think about the fight (For Honor, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time), than one where I think, "If I mash these specific buttons in this particular order at this specific rate of button-mashing" (Dark Souls 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X).

Wow, I forgot MOBA's.  That's how little interest I have in them; I keep forgetting they even exist.

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not at all. It's all about strategy. Memorizing a flashy combo means nothing if you don't know the right opening to use it. Bad controls? Maybe some indie fighting game but the majority (all the well known series) like Street Fighter, Soulcalibur, King of Fighters, etc. have solid controls.

I agree.  And I'll use a game that's sort of hot right now as an example; Tekken.

Muscle memory doesn't mean a damn thing in Tekken.  Unless it's muscle memory in the sense that you don't have to look at your controller to know what button you're pressing, but if that's the level you're at with games, then everything will be difficult for you.  It's all about out-doing your opponent's mind games.  You can memorize all the combos you want, take the 10 hit combos to heart... but if one really good combo is your go-to for every situation in that game, then you'll never make it past Marauder rank unless you get some stupid luck.

Tekken is all about figuring out what your opponent is doing; trying to outplay their mind games.  Will you let them try to attack you so that you can block them and return them in kind with a nasty counter?  Or will you try to rush for their weak point and attempt to keep them from even striking out at you?  Do they tend to prefer going for highs, mids, or lows?  What range do they block?  Are there moves of theirs that you can interrupt?  It's almost mesmerizing just how much strategy can go into a match between two equally skilled Tekken players.

And yes, the controls are good.  They're so stupidly obvious, an eight year-old kid who barely plays fighting games could pick up on them; I know this from personal experience.  The only significant hurdle with Tekken is navigating the 3D environment; it can be a hassle for newer players to figure out exactly how to move into the foreground or background.  If you just press up, you'll jump, or if you just press down, you'll crouch.  You have to double tap the buttons to move in those directions.  Same with Soulcal.

*I have not played Tekken

I only played a bit of Soul Calibur on the GC, but I would not say it had great controls. The game had a thing called "slide inputs", where you have to press a button, and then immediately press another button, but not actually at the same time - oh god, who did this?

BTW, I recently played Nidhogg and Lethal League. Both are really unique and intense fighting games. Both have flawed controls and unexplained mechanics which immediately shove them out of 9/10 territory, but I still recommend them, which surprises me.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I think this Extra Credit video explains the appeal of fighting games, as well as why they don't have a mainstream audience. (I would post the video here, but I don't know enough about the website on how to do that. Heck, I don't even know how to add attachments!)

Personally, the problem I have with fighting games is simply activating combos in the first place. Not so much memorization, since I know that comes time and practice, but just knowing that I did them correctly in the first place. I know some of it just comes from having to use a keyboard to try out these games, which I know isn't ideal (oh, the joy of online emulators! I can play old games for free, but with the knowledge that I'll have no context of how to play, and my save data has the chance to be erased at any moment without warning!), but even if I had a normal controller, I can never confidently "draw a half-circle, then press X button" or "charge back, then forward while pressing kick" etc. without worrying that I'll mess it up or actually messing it up. Not to mention some combinations do seem unintuitive at times. How is the game supposed to know that I went back twice, then forward twice? What differentiates a charge back/forward with normally pushing back/foward? And who in the right mind thought that doing Z on a D-pad was a good idea! (Skip to 4:05. The game is Tatsunoko VS. Capcom, by the way.)

I don't mean to say that fighting games are bad, far from it, but it's not hard to see why it's not a genre for everyone. On a side note, I've rarely, if ever have had trouble the the controls of fighting games, it's honesty knowing what the heck each fighter does that causes issues (or not).

Mine is a bit all over the place as I'm very fussy, but...

I generally prefer:

•  Simulation, in particular, Sim City 4, A-Train (which is a Japanese train network management franchise from Artdink), and Cities Skylines
  • Turn-based strategy: Fire Emblem, obviously. Because it's more about thinking, and I appreciate that I can easily interrupt a chapter when something comes up.
  • RPGs: Pokemon, obviously, but also regaining interest in Final Fantasy, and immensely enjoying Persona. They tend to have interesting world-building or good stories, not to mention I can easily interrupt a playthrough when I need to.
  • Anything that provokes my thought in regards to worldbuilding. Again, Pokemon, but also FE Binding Blade, and the Zelda franchise.

On the other hand, stuff that I avoid, unless if there are very good reasons:

• Platformers: Partly because I'm  not really strong in that dept, and also because of a particular franchise that I consider as overrated shit because of how the story in general is so brain-dead and and two characters in particular are spineless sissies. Odin Sphere, however, is a major exception.
  • Horror or too much gore. Though Yomawari may become an exception...
  • Racing: Though, F-Zero may become an exception.
Edited by henrymidfields

Favourite

RPG(Especially ones with unique gimmicks like Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, and Persona)

Racing(Only if they're fast)

Platformer(Only if they don't have bullshit difficulty spikes)

Action-Adventure(Stuff like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Jak and Daxter, interested in Bayonetta)

Simulator(Interested in Trauma Center)

Least favourite

Sports(I play games to escape real life, not re-create it, that and sports are boring)

Gambling(Gambling and loot boxes)

FPS(Market's over-saturated and they look and play exactly the same)

Edited by RulerJeanne

1 hour ago, RulerJeanne said:

Gambling(Gambling and loot boxes)

Oh right, gambling's actually a genre of game...

I generally hate luck-based games... or at least, games that are entirely governed by luck.  I'm fine with RNG in RPG's and whatnot, but when it's pretty much just a roulette where I get practically no input aside from activating something, I hate it.

Loot boxes I wouldn't say are a genre...  But they still make my skin crawl.  Like, really crawl.  I hate those little boxy bastards so much that even my body reacts out of revulsion.  I particularly despise how they use a flashy presentation - sometimes even a cutscene - to try to manipulate you into buying into them.  I hate when devs try to pull that kind of Pavlov crap.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ertrick36 said:

If you just press up, you'll jump, or if you just press down, you'll crouch.  You have to double tap the buttons to move in those directions.  Same with Soulcal.

But you actually have free eight way movement in Soul Calibur. The only thing that might throw people off is that you have to hold the guard button to crouch and jump.

My favorite genres are:

Shmups/Bullet Hell/Run n' Gun
RPGs(Action, Strategy, Western, Japanese)
Fighting
Racing
Platformers

Least favorites:

Sports
Puzzle

Although with sports I'm not fond of the traditional types, but I like the arcady ones like NBA Jam/Street and the Mario sports games. While for puzzle games I do like Puzzle League, Puyo Puyo and Puzzles and Dragons.