Aethin

Berwick Saga Translation (Beta Patch Out!)

Notices:

• This is a beta patch--and I mean extremely beta. Some text overruns its boxes, sometimes faces glitch or interfaces cover up text, and sometimes weird crap just happens. Please know that all these kinks will eventually be ironed out. The level of errors in the current patch is not indicative of the level of quality that the final patch should have. My intent to have the final patch be as cohesively high-quality as possible, on the same level of quality as an official translation.

As some of you may know, after redoing the TearRing Saga: Champions of Yutona translation, I decided to continue on to the next game in the series, Berwick Saga: Lazberia Chronicle, Chapter 174, which was released in 2005 for the PlayStation 2.  I decided to take up the project in December 2016, though I wasn't able to actually do any work until February 2017 when the programmer Lightgazer volunteered to remake the Chinese fan translation's tools into a more workable format. It's thanks to his programming prowess that I've been able to translate and insert the text at all. Progress has been much more slow-going than I'd hoped, but I now have a working beta of the patch (beta version 20, see FAQ for details on what it covers.)

To see a video of the patch in action, you can watch this recorded stream of LordRaven playing it (with me co-commentating), or this Let's Play by Deltre.

Story Primer:

For nearly five hundred years, the western alliance of the Berwick League has been in on-and-off warfare against their ancient enemy, the Raze Empire to the east. These conflicts have dominated history on the continent for centuries, with times of peace as ephemeral as smoke. At the head of the Berwick League is the Kingdom of Veria, ruled by the King, who is spiritually guided by the Apostle, the voice of the Goddess Veria.

Fourteen years ago, while the Berwick League was embroiled in a bloody civil war, the Apostle and all her kin were brutally murdered by assassins. When the Raze Empire was revealed to be the culprit, King Mordias IV of Veria declared a holy war against the Empire. The civil war was quickly brought to a close as the Berwick League united against their common enemy, but Raze was not so easily defeated. Under the Razite General Zephyrus, the Berwick League's forces were pushed back to Fort Sakiria, a border fortress between the Empire and the League. As the war slowly turns against the League, even the states who had supported Mordias during the civil war now consider the tempting option to side with the Raze Empire...

Screenshots:

Spoiler

CNlzOKO.png3nXYqwT.png

j9GdTQp.pngiZQfMxw.png

Anticipated Frequently Asked Questions:

Spoiler
  • What does the beta patch cover?
    • Menus and interfaces, as well as nearly all story and hub conversations up to the end of Chapter 5.
  • Chapter 5? That's not very much, is it?
    • Chapters in Berwick are not like Fire Emblem chapters. Each chapter has one main mission (obligatory) and up to two side missions (optional). Covering "up to the end of Chapter 5" means that the beta patch covers the first fifteen maps. The game has 15 chapters in total, and total play time seems to average around 60 hours.
  • How far along is the translation? When will it be done?
    • About 70% complete (by byte count). It'll be done when I finish it.
  • What will the final translation cover?
    • Everything, hopefully! The entire game—including menus, conversations, images, narration, and system text—will be in English.
  • British English or American English?
    • American English. I'm originally from the Midwest United States, so don't be surprised if you see Midwestern idiom or phrasing pop up now and then.
  • How's this game related to the first TearRing Saga?
    • Very loosely. It's a "sequel" in the same way that the Archanea Saga is a sequel to the Jugdral Saga, that is, it's on a different continent and takes place hundreds of years later. Holmes and Katri are mentioned in passing as legendary figures, and the ancient Zoans play a background role in the setting (though you wouldn't know the latter just by playing the game).
  • Why did you translate X as Y? The Serenes page calls that person/item/class Z!
    • I'm the sole translator. I can make executive decisions like that. Please don't complain about them.
    • I decided early on not to refer to the old Serenes names for my translation, mostly because a lot of them are badly transliterated on Serenes. Where the names in my patch differ from the one used on the Serenes guide pages, it’s often because mine is closer to the Japanese, especially for bosses, e.g., Serenes has “Araken” where I have “Volcens” for ウォルケンス Worukensu.
    • I took inspiration from both the official names (“Volo” for ウォロー) and from making names closer to real ones (“Esteban” for イストバル Isutobaru).
    • For special items, I often trimmed off descriptors to make the names fit text boxes. For example, 聖弓ロスヴァイス “Holy Bow Rossweisse” is now just “Rossweisse.”
  • Will you be tackling Vestaria Saga after this?
  • Do you mind if I stream this/post an LP of this on YouTube?
    • Not at all! Anything that'd boost interest in the game (and translation) is most welcome.
  • How do you have time to do this? Are you getting paid to do it?
    • I'm a grad student, so I just work on it in my free time. I'm not getting paid, and please don't try to pay me for it, either.

Patching Instructions:

Spoiler
  1. Acquire a copy of the Berwick Saga ISO. Don't ask where to get it, 'cause that's against the rules. The patch has only been tested on the normal release version (internal numbering SLPS 254.97).
  2. The patch is in xDelta format, so you'll need a patcher like xDelta UI to use it.
  3. To use xDelta UI, select bws_beta_v##.xdelta for "Patch" (where ## is the version number). Next select your Japanese copy of Berwick Saga as "Source File," and type a new filename with the extension .iso for "Output File." Then hit "Patch."
  4. Berwick Saga takes several minutes to patch, during which xDelta will be "Not Responding". Depending on your computer, it may take up to ten minutes to finish patching. I've also heard that xDelta UI sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, but all instances so far have been solved by simply trying again.
  5. The game can be played by loading it onto a jailbroken PS2 or on your computer with the PS2 emulator PCSX2. I'm not going to include instructions on how to use or set up either of these, because that's a bit in-depth and not the point of this post.

Known Errors/Bugs/Issues:

Spoiler
  • Intro movie freezes. (Not always, but very common.)
  • Skill names exceed various text boxes. (Currently a WIP.)
  • Some mercenary hiring dialogue is untranslated.
  • Certain lines of conversation text run on to the next lines by mistake, or a random blank line loads for no reason. (Please post all of these that you can find!)

Non-Patch Issues:

• If you're noticing strange lines on certain menus, this is an emulator glitch, not a glitch with the patch. To fix it, try switching your graphics plugin from Direct3D to OpenGL.

Other notes for all playtesters:

• Know that there's a chance I missed some lines, especially when it comes to visiting shops, etc. in Navaron. If this is the case, please kindly let me know.
  • If you encounter a typo, misaligned text, inconsistency, or a visual glitch that isn't present in the original version, please post a screenshot or verbatim description of the error here--but check the Known Errors spoiler above first! (You can take screenshots in PCSX2 with the F8 key. They'll be saved as BMPs in Documents/PCSX2/snaps by default on Windows. Alternatively, you can use the key combination Alt+PrtScr, which copies a screenshot of the currently opened window to the clipboard on Windows.)
  • Just like Champions of Yutona, Berwick Saga uses circle for "yes/confirm" and X for "no/cancel." The triangle button is for "help/details," and the square button will usually display the currently available controls. L1/R1 cycle between units, the Start button places marker flags, and the Select button displays HP bars (and known enemy vision on FoW maps).
  • Gameplay is substantially different from Fire Emblem and Champions of Yutona. I highly suggest reading through either my two guides here and here or Aggro Incarnate's guide for an explanation. There are also in-game guides that are given to the player as gameplay advances.
    • I've also been slowly working on updating the Serenes Wiki pages on Berwick Saga, now that I've got an account to do so. Aggro Incarnate has helped with this immensely, checking item data and such for errors (of which there were a lot). Once the final patch drops, I'll put more effort into revamping the item/skill/character names on these pages.
Edited by Aethin
update to v20

Good to see this coming along, i've been wanting to try this game for years.

4 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

By the way, I'll be streaming this with Aethin on Sunday, January 14th at 5:30 PM EST. My twitch is http://twitch.tv/lraven17

Lol I knew I forgot something in the OP. Details added!

WHOA, Holy crab! Berwick Saga is one game that I really wanted to play, but couldn't due to not knowing japanese, and not trusting myself to play in the blind.

I'm DEFINITELY watching that stream.

Good luck with the patch! Hopefully more people can get to enjoy this cool game ^^

You work a bit faster than I thought you would.

I enjoy me some proof of concept and look forward to more progress with baited breath. ' 3'

Thank you very much! Keep up the good work!

I've released a beta for this thing! Please check the updated OP for details.

(Why yes, this is a thinly veiled excuse to bump the thread!)

> says he only bothered with characters that you get in chap 1 and 2
> derrick

no need to hide the fact that you made exceptions for best grill muh dude ;):

4 hours ago, Ziggy McDougal said:

> says he only bothered with characters that you get in chap 1 and 2
> derrick

no need to hide the fact that you made exceptions for best grill muh dude ;):

But you kinda get Derrick at the end of Chapter 2!

All right fine, you got me. It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. :P:

I need to find a PC for this and TRS by the time this game gets a full fan translation. This game has kept its allure of the exotic for being so different from typical FEs over me for far too long. I want to experience it myself and see how it truly is.

I already use Czene in my profile, since I looked through all the official character artwork and she certainly was the best. That I think I heard she's an animal lover too helps. On the male side Kramer looks like one handsome Ogma Jr. too, they're certainly my visual favorites. Silvia also looks very classy. I might try them all out.

By the way, SF used to have the BS official artwork, but I can't seem to find it on the site anymore.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Thank you everyone for showing up! Here's the VOD:

It will be up momentarily. Audio issues will be fixed for next time. I found out what the issue was -- it was actually processing my mic on my laptop (I was fooled by some weird setting because it showed a noise when I tapped my mic on my headset a few times) so once I managed to switch it back to my actual headset microphone it was fixed.

There's a much much deeper explanation as to why it was set like that, but that's for another time.

Technical stuff happens, at least you're sure of how its fixed now.

Loving it so far played throught the first 2 maps, only things i noticed so far not translated is the mercenary reveuitment conversations with axel and also the archer girl

3 minutes ago, flare9 said:

Question how do.i view the mercenaries happiness level?

You can’t. (Also, just as a side note, this might not be the best place to discuss gameplay or strategy; this thread’s just for the translation and feedback on it. You’re probably better off going to a chat or making a new thread. :):)

But thanks for the heads-up about the mercenary conversations!

Edited by Aethin

AAAAAAAH! It's happening! YES! Been replaying through TRS lately so this beta can't come at a better time! Super stoked to hear you're translating this as well, I really liked TRS's translation. Does Berwick have as much dialogue as TRS does per chapter on average?

4 hours ago, dark_knight17 said:

AAAAAAAH! It's happening! YES! Been replaying through TRS lately so this beta can't come at a better time! Super stoked to hear you're translating this as well, I really liked TRS's translation. Does Berwick have as much dialogue as TRS does per chapter on average?

Similar amounts, yeah, though it’s separated into smaller events, I feel.

Thanks for the praise! Glad to know people liked my old translation.

Yayyy for first beta release.  I'm encountering this error  "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" when attempting to patch, however...

EDIT:  I patched the right iso finally.  Game crashes at random moments during the first chapter.

Edited by 12fretsjourneyman

2 hours ago, 12fretsjourneyman said:

Game crashes at random moments during the first chapter.

How you play it? PS2 or emulator?