I'm Going To Ireland In March, I Need Some Advise

Captain Karnage

Hey everyone, I'll be traveling to Dublin in march as for a class, I'll be over there for a week

So I need a little bit of advise before I make the trip over there

like what kind of clothing should I wear, any places I should avoid, things I might not want to do

Alright, so Dublin's the kind of place I'm not usually in (what with living pretty much on the other side of the country), so some general tips.

Make sure to have a jacket ready, it'll still be likely to rain even if it's not the depths of winter and you're not on the west coast. Short clothes are still not a good idea for that time of the year.

I can't really say where to avoid as I'm not based in Dublin. 

I think I'd say more on what not to do if I had a bit more information.

Edited by Dayni

Since it tends to be pretty chilly in March, I would recommend good bulky clothes and also a rain jacket since it rains here a lot. Though it could be a bit warm, so I'd recommend bringing some lighter clothes just in case (But you would want to prioritize bulky clothes since more often then not it is cold).

Be careful with your things. There tends to be a good amount of pick pocketers around who especially prey on tourists and foreign visitors. I would say bring clothes where you can zip your pockets closed or a really good bag that wont easily be opened without you noticing. These types of people are especially prevalent on the Luas. Not trying to dissuade you from going on the Luas, it's one of the best ways to travel around, but be wary and watch over your stuff.

If you get a taxi, don't but any bags in the boot (Trunk). You will get charged. Also some taxi drivers are assholes and will sometimes go a bit longer to charge you extra.

If you get a Dublin Bus, keep the slip of paper you receive from the driver. There sometimes is an inspector on board that will throw you off if you don't have the slip of paper. Also on buses you don't get change back if you don't give the exact amount.

I don't know many places to avoid, since I'm not Dublin native and I really only go up there every once and a while however I heard that Sheriff Street can be pretty dangerous depending on who you run into. I'd recommend maybe doing some of your own research since I honestly can't say.

Tipping isn't really a thing here, or well I've never tipped someone in Ireland, but if you do want to tip, I heard 10% is the go to.

If you are in a shop or at a pub or something, typically the cashier/bartender may try and start conversation like asking you how your day is and stuff so just be ready for that I guess.

Anyways, I probably sold Dublin off as more of a shithole rather than a nice place to go but it really isn't that bad, it just can seem that way. If you have any other specific questions, I don't mind answering, but I hoped this helped.