Rate the video game opening above

Ronnie

I'd give it a 4/5. I like the animation of the characters (reminds me of Rune Factory's) and the presentation of the the op (reminds me of God Eater 1). Though the backgrounds changing is a nice touch but honestly throws me off but it is a good contrast with the characters. Also the music doesn't seem to fit to me but that's just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVNFSFqGmL4

Namco X Capcom's op: Animated by the same animator of Kill la kill and Gurren Lagaan. Also the starting op of a crossover series of games. Came out in 2002 on the PS2 of all things. Sadly this one never got localized but the subsequent sequels are both localized on the 3ds today and most recently have Included Chrom and Lucina in them. Also just a note major Xenoblade 1 spoiler in that same game so beware.

Wait, so Project X Zone? My comp's refusing to load YouTube at the moment(gotta love crappy internet + old comps), so I can't tell from clicking on it, but if that's the game I like the opening quite a bit.

So I'd love to post a link to an opening video for a great game in a series that really should have got off the ground but didn't for who knows why, Custom Robo, but the above mention of comp issues makes it a touch tricky. I think I can get around the issue by using Google search and copy-pasting the link, let's try it here. Let me know if it's not working and I'll try again on my iPod.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Custom Robo

I read the thread title and thought "oh hey, I have just the thing to post!"
I found the video I needed, copied the link, watched it because it's my favorite game opening, and then read the post right above mine. "What will I be reviewing?" I wondered.
Hi there! You beat me to posting Custom Robo's opening. Curse you and thank you, I think?? I will hold off on figuring out what opening to post by gushing about Custom Robo.

Custom Robo (Battle Revolution, for the Gamecube) draws the player into the game by showing what a battle would look like from the perspective of the robots.
-The movie looks amazing for its time and console; alas, if only the in-game graphics could match it.
-The battle follows a basic story structure: antagonist appears and sends out minions, hero defeats a minion, hero fights the antagonist, hero defeats another minion, and then the final showdown.
-Game mechanics are showcased throughout it all: weapons like the Wyrm gun work like they do in the game, Rakansen moves through the air in the way strike vanisher models will, and the hero achieves victory by using its gun, bomb, and pod weapons in combination. The couple seconds of first-person perspective were a nice touch, as it helps show how difficult it is to hit a strike vanisher robo during its signature jump. The movie will eschew proper gameplay in the name of making things flow better or look cooler: Ray 01 all-but flies at one point, and then loses its gun and manages to salvage an enemy's gun.
-The music enhances the intense atmosphere of the battle, as do the sound effects. I think I once saw a comment saying the robotic sounds were taken from a film, but it fits well here...even if that sound in particular is ever so slightly overused.
-The blue explosion at the very end feels a little out of place. Explosions are nice, and blue explosions are cool because they're an abnormal color, but it looks like it belongs in a work of lower visual quality.

I would give this opening cinematic a rating of 95/100. It does an excellent job of grabbing and keeping the player's attention by playing out like a fast-paced action movie. A game's introduction should leave the viewer thinking "I want to play this now", which is what many a player will think upon watching this.

To shift gears, I present the next poster (and the thread as a whole) with the introduction to Odin Sphere (the Leifthrasir remake).

Edited by Phazon Archon

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Wait, so Project X Zone? My comp's refusing to load YouTube at the moment(gotta love crappy internet + old comps), so I can't tell from clicking on it, but if that's the game I like the opening quite a bit.

So I'd love to post a link to an opening video for a great game in a series that really should have got off the ground but didn't for who knows why, Custom Robo, but the above mention of comp issues makes it a touch tricky. I think I can get around the issue by using Google search and copy-pasting the link, let's try it here. Let me know if it's not working and I'll try again on my iPod.

It's the prequel game to those ones. Honestly I find that if you like the Project X Zone's OPs this one should blow those out of the water.

Odin Sphere: Heard of it, never really looked into it. I'll say the environment looks amazing and the character design looks interesting. I like how it introduces each of the characters as well, well briefly that is. Since to better coincide with things I'm going to x/100 scale now, so I'll give it 90/100. The music is also very fitting.

So onto a gem of a game I discovered this past year. Valkyria Chronicles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTo45-gO5o

Came out in 2008 back on the PS3 and 2 or so years ago got a remastered on steam which led to a ps4 port of it. Now on it's tenth anniversary the 4th game in the series is being released. (Coincidentally the day I beat Valkyria Chronicles was the day 4 was announced)

The first image of clouds made me think of Skies of Arcadia. Anyway. I didn't like the opening, because I couldn't get a sense of sense of the depth of field and proportion very well. Like how far away  during each little jump / big in comparison the character fighting the monster is, the absurd leap the main cast takes out of the boat, and finally at the cathedral duel sequence, Velvet Crowe brandishes the demonic arm toward the roof at the beginning but is that supposed to be just 5feet (or whatever) above their head or is supposeded to freakishly stretch up to the dome of the catherdal. The opening seems fairly conventional in main character and group organization shots, but doesn't show particularly dynamic shots of them, for some reason most of the non-combat scenes place the characters a bit further back than the middle background. A couple shots hinted at a pretty good setting (the winter town with the crystal things and the boat shots), but for some reason the opening cuts away from them a bit quickly instead of lingering on them for us to take in or wonder about.  The opening also seems unsure whether that the game is more about an ensemble cast, or if it's the story of the Velvet Crowe first (the song choice steers you to think that since it doesn't fit anyone else in the opening). The boat sailing away at the end is a good touch and it has unity with the way that the boat was used at the beginning of the opening. 

I guess I would give it 6 / 10

Soul Eater: Legacy of Kain