Would you like to see more interactivity in battles?

Armagon

I'd like more interactivity between the fighters not interactivity between the player and the battle itself. The reason is because the main point about the game is strategy, and adding a completely different element to the combat aspect of the game sort of takes away the big focus on the pure-strategy basis of the game. (Lck/RNG is also a matter of strategy because you have to have fail-safes to every decision).

I'd like to see more interactivity between the fighters in battle because the generic slash and spin moves are bland and a bit nonsensical. I'd like to see piercing cuts, and a variation of responses to attacks received and dealt (both in timing and style). Maybe they could make fighting moves the characters do an option for the player, although that sounds kind of time consuming and annoying, so maybe instead they could make a few scenarios where when you fight a mini-boss you have to choose the right move logically to ensure an attack hits or that you parry-dodge an attack.

How about a spin-off that's more focused on a smaller-cast, based on Project Steam engine (which is a fantastic game) that's all about moving right, and be more about close combat, and in close quarters it becomes A kin to Dark Souls combat, where it is highly tactical or it becomes a more advanced use of the motion controls used in Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, where it would be tedious in Zelda, here the game is more focused around it, and every weapon is used in a certain way and has it's own motion commands, playing SS always made me feel like that this combat would feel more natural in a Fire Emblem Spin-off.

I think it would be better if you have a system of limited tokens where you get a boost of attack or def/res. I think the interactivity kills the core of FE which is strategy

On 1/21/2018 at 3:35 PM, The Radiant Hero said:

How about a spin-off that's more focused on a smaller-cast, based on Project Steam engine (which is a fantastic game) that's all about moving right, and be more about close combat, and in close quarters it becomes A kin to Dark Souls combat, where it is highly tactical or it becomes a more advanced use of the motion controls used in Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, where it would be tedious in Zelda, here the game is more focused around it, and every weapon is used in a certain way and has it's own motion commands, playing SS always made me feel like that this combat would feel more natural in a Fire Emblem Spin-off.

If it is a spin off, I think it's fair game. However, I hope they don't use lords. It'd be interesting to see other characters taking the spotlight 

While real time combat elements might indeed ruin core FE experience I would not mind them expanding more on 3d game play elements. Switch is a lot more powerful 3d platform after all.

Since dungeons in FE:Echoes were so well received I'm sure they bring them back. Movement in villages and castles in between episodes were in 2D in Echoes. Would be cool to do that actually in 3D environment. Perhaps even introduce exploration element to down and villages. Follow voices behind doors or threes and so on... 

Also how about combining fog of war and 3D line of sight scouting feature during battles. 2D map is covered with fog of war but you still could see in 3D mode farther. You can spot distant villages and castles or maybe even dust clouds produced by moving units. Also line of sight would be obviously completely different for ground troops compared to Pegasus knights. Maybe even introduce new skills or items so scouting unit can zoom in on distant objects. Then we can play around with obscuring game play elements like magic smoke screens or event invisibility spells by enemy mages. Number of FE games have used coming and going rain and snowfall game mechanics for slowing down movement. Would be cool to actually see incoming wall of rain from distance.

Last but not least I wonder if they will utilise HD rumble feature in "waifu petting segments"? If so then it will be real time game play for sure :ph34r:

Edited by vuttFE

5 hours ago, vuttFE said:

While real time combat elements might indeed ruin core FE experience I would not mind them expanding more on 3d game play elements. Switch is a lot more powerful 3d platform after all.

Since dungeons in FE:Echoes were so well received I'm sure they bring them back. Movement in villages and castles in between episodes were in 2D in Echoes. Would be cool to do that actually in 3D environment. Perhaps even introduce exploration element to down and villages. Follow voices behind doors or threes and so on... 

Also how about combining fog of war and 3D line of sight scouting feature during battles. 2D map is covered with fog of war but you still could see in 3D mode farther. You can spot distant villages and castles or maybe even dust clouds produced by moving units. Also line of sight would be obviously completely different for ground troops compared to Pegasus knights. Maybe even introduce new skills or items so scouting unit can zoom in on distant objects. Then we can play around with obscuring game play elements like magic smoke screens or event invisibility spells by enemy mages. Number of FE games have used coming and going rain and snowfall game mechanics for slowing down movement. Would be cool to actually see incoming wall of rain from distance.

Last but not least I wonder if they will utilise HD rumble feature in "waifu petting segments"? If so then it will be real time game play for sure :ph34r:

If Shinobi Refle manage to make it work(and successful no less gee I wonder why....) and waifus are a high appeal to Fire Emblem it'll work of course more in line with FE!

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Yes, it would breath new life into the series. I wouldn't expect the turn based system if it was put in. Being able to battle in 3D and in real time would be awesome. I would say that it would be the next major leap for the series if it happened.

Mario RPG style action commands would be fine. Pressing a button once or twice during a battle to reduce or increase attack or defense is not too demanding of the player, but it does not fit the theme of fire emblem. Unless handled extremely well, it would water down the strategy of a game series that feels like it is already set up to be a person's first srpg. 

It's not that QTE's or interactivity wouldn't be welcome in Fire Emblem as a whole, it's just that I don't think they really belong in the standard 'tactical field deployment' sub-setting of FE that we're all so used to.  I would much rather there be multiple modes of play for different parts of the game, and it would be in those different parts of the game where more interactivity could be introduced.

One classic example: sending a Thief to scout something out and report back.  You're playing the Thief, on his/her own, trying to get around a castle/other complex undetected while gathering as much information (and plundering as much loot) as possible.  There's TONS of opportunity for interactivity, here, and it'd still connect with the main game in spite of that segment not being part of the traditional 'map deployment' mode.  Dungeon exploration's another big one, and we're already seeing quite a few shades of that in SoV.  Another possibility is a 'Duel Mode', which might trigger when facing Bosses or when you're using the Arena/Training Grounds; instead of having the same old Armor General sitting on the same old Gate/Throne and relying on the same old massive Avoid/HP Regen imbalances in an attempt to present even the most remote of challenges, maybe you have to engage the leader on an entirely different level of combat, where your own personal inputs and use of interactive objects/nearby allies/etc. are much more important that the raw stats of the opponent in question.  And, uh, 'Petting Mode'...not my thing, but you KNOW there's demand for that, and it had best be interactive.  Your MyCastle-analogue might have tons of mini-games in it that are interactive, etc. etc.

I think it’d be okay as long as the bonuses from the action command are very minimal so that way it doesn’t force players to use it if they don’t want to. 

Maybe somewhere between 1-3 damage difference, no more than that, when you guard/attack.

And again it would have to be only a bonus with no penalties if choosing not to do it. Kinda like the rhythm attacks in Mother 3. You benefit from doing it but you can get by just fine if you opt not to.

Hmmm, I'm rather conflicted on this matter. On one hand, it would be fun to be more involved with the characters' fighting than simply directing them. On the other hand, this may sacrifice some of the relevancy to strategy. For instance, blue unit approaches red unit. Blue unit will do 7 damage by default, and red unit will survive to do 20 damage to blue unit, wiping him out. In a normal FE game, this situation would force the player to rethink the approach if they want to save blue unit. However, with interactivity in battle, a simple quick time event means Blue unit will crit and wipe out red unit. In other words, a cheap simon says session has now just almost completely nullified he core aspect of FE - strategy. Why think about where I'm going to charge my units when a few button presses will basically fart me over to victory?

Then again, allowing the player to be more interactive in some way or another might open FE up to an even wider audience. And yes, Hardcores, general appeal is important. 

Tbh I'm not too big on the idea of more interactivity. I feel like it could easily get tedious having to be involved in all the battles and I'm also concerned about the potential removal of the options to turn animations off and to skip combat, which are very nice to have. I mean, normal FE maps already take me a good chunk of time to complete, I don't think I would have the patience or the time if it were to be extended by having battles take longer.

If it were a spin-off, then sure. But main series? I'm inclined to say no.

Well, let me pull something I said a while back in Concepts up...

As you proceed throughout the map, performing certain actions (killing certain enemies, recruiting or not recruiting characters, answering mid-battle decisions, etc.) changes the map, enemies, or other such things. Let's say that, in a defense mission, you get a question of whether some hot water or oil should be poured on the enemies. Aside from the initial decision changing (hot water deals 5 damage while oil reduces their Speed and Move), it also changes which reinforcements come in (Hot water brings in Connor and his band of Mages and Valkyries while oil brings in Danil and his band of Knights and Cavaliers).

Another idea would be this: You're heading through a camp of mercenaries, with three sub-bosses. The order you kill them in changes the events: The first one killed brings in new reinforcements, the second one brings in a new recruit for you and the final one changes which weapon the boss is equipped with.

I doubt QTRs will ever be implemented in the game. Otherwise we'd be better off playing Warriors.

Although I'd consider Skills that are... activable by will and not passively? I mean, we've stuffs like Camilla and Beruka's Lunge, which is displayed as a seperate option for the unit in the overview. What if we had more stuffs like that? Maybe we can have certain skills that activates before the combat like Growing Light, Rising Thunder and Growing Fire in Heroes. Or a choice for the characters to use different types of attacks in combat (e.g, an uppercut or a sweep, which would slightly alter the damage, the hit ratio and the buffs/debuffs). Echoes kinda had it, like Alm's Royal Sword which had different skills like Double Lion and Scendscale.

Just a thought. Maybe it'll work out great, maybe it'll overcomplicate the game's system. Only time can tell us...