You ever look at a video game you haven't played yet but you know you're gonna love it?

Ronnie

atelier_shallie_le_cover.jpg

This is mine. I'm currently playing the 2nd game in the trilogy (Escha & Logy) but I'm really looking forward to playing this last game. The characters look cool, the locations look pretty, and I love the battle themes I heard on Youtube. Considering how much I've enjoyed the trilogy so far, I have high hopes for the finale.

I feel like stuff like that is a very bold assumption, and I don't really like making assumptions like that.... but regardless I know a few games that are like that.

Persona 5 and Nier Automata. I'll be very shocked if once I get around a playing those games that I end up disliking it

Technically no, I've never known that a game is gonna be good, but I've had good feelings about games that were fulfilled.

These days, most games I get I have a good feeling about and wind up enjoying because I commit some research towards them usually (or they're games from franchises I've played, such as Fire Emblem and Zelda).  You might say that by virtue of me knowing that much about the game I would actually know, but it's very different to know the qualities of the game than it is to actually experience the game.  This is a result of me feeling completely burned on GTA Online when it turned out to be very bare initially after convincing myself it'd be super great (now of course it's absolutely incredible the amount of content it has, and it's a damn shame I quit on it).

There aren't really any that particularly stand out.  There was never a game I looked at that I thought "Man, this looks so amazing" and it wound up actually being that great.

So I'll be honest, only a few games have done this to me.

The first was Project X Zone 2, I originally got it just for the FE reps in it, but it has became my third favorite game of all time. I've beaten it 3 times and I do plan on doing a 4th ng+ on the hardest difficulty.

The second was Valkyria Chronicles. I knew of it but knew very little, so I decided to get it one day and it has become one of my most favorite games. It's honestly just that amazing.

The third and most recent was Xenoblade 2. I avoided all spoilers I could on it, I got it as soon as I could. I played through it so much that I had played over 100 hours before beating it. I enjoyed every bit of that and I'm still putting in hours postgame. I knew it would be good but honestly how good it is surprised me. While it may have a little difficulty living up to the masterpiece status that Xenoblade 1 carved for itself, I still prefer 2 overall and 2 actually replaced 1 in my favorite games list.

This hasn't happened with me too often, but it has occasionally. Genealogy of the Holy War was that way for sure. The Awakening Spotpass characters alone were interesting to me, and after reading a lot about the characters and lore, I knew I'd enjoy it. While I'm not the biggest fan of its gameplay, I still adored playing FE4, and I look back on it very fondly.

If deciding that I'd love a game just from its intro counts, Ys: The Oath in Felghana was also like that. While I loved Ys I&II Chronicles+, I was a little meh on Origins (though I've grown to appreciate it more now), and Ys VI has its own quirks and issues. But as soon as the intro to Oath started, I knew it would be something special. And it absolutely was and is; to this day, it's tied with Ys I&II for my favorite Ys game, and my second favorite game of all time.

Stephen's Sausage Roll - I didn't actually play it in 2016, instead waiting until early 2017. To be fair, maybe I did a little more than just "look" since I had played the previous commercial game by the developer. Anyway, it did live up to my "self induced" hype. I didn't refer to any of the gaming press's opinions to decide that I would love it.

Yooka- Lalyee - Obviously I was the target demographic, since I played Banjo Kazooie and Tooie religiously at the time. I ended up liking it less than I thought it did when I bought it, but I still liked it enough to put it in the "love" category when it comes to personal favoritism (definitely not objective quality / how good I think it is when recommending for others though)

Hat in Time - See Yooka Laylee

Mario Odyssey - See Yooka Laylee minus the second part.

Worms WMD -  While I still say that Worms Armageddon is the "be-all end all" game in the series online, I'm not going to lie about having fun with the new games.

Descent - I knew what an 8 degree of freedom game was via playing a clone series first (Psygnosis's colony wars) but otherwise I knew it would be good (and no one talks about it when retrogaming compared to other things from its era to influence me)

Freespace - See Descent

Roll Away -  I could tell it was a puzzle game, (and I liked the publisher) so I bought it.

The Incredible Machine - My only real "visuals only" impulse buy. I mean, how can you see a Rube Goldberg machine and say no?

Divinity 2 - I had played the first Divinity:Original Sin however. 

Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - At the time I had never heard of the Mr. Driller sub-series, but I saw only what looked like Dig-Dug like gameplay. I went in wanting to love it for bringing me nostalgia for my first ever video game, and then got an actually well designed experience that blows the admitedtly shallow Dig-Dug out of the water. 

As for games that I've looked at but haven't bought that I know I'll love.

I can't really name anything since I pretty much always refer to Richie's opinion or exhaustively wait 4+months for critical consensus before buying the majority of new games, I'm not a 1st day release kind of person.

Edited by Reality

When I was a mere child, a fledgling, before I met with the utter disappointment that teaches you not to do that

So no, I do not, and cannot allow myself to do this

Edited by Soledai

Pokemon XY, considering that I previously left the franchise after GSC. I just got excited seeing Poke-France, and seeing a more realistic interpretation, again, not seen since GSC.

Tokyo Mirage Session is set to be like this after borrowing a friends Wii U and playing part of Chapter 1.

I have a pretty good grasp of my tastes, so it's easy to determine what I'll like even before playing the game.  How intense my feelings are is harder to determine until I actually play the game, because there are a lot of minor things that tend to affect my enjoyment of the title a lot.

I also remember getting interested in Binding Blade, which was my first FE game. And based on the information from gaming magazines, it felt unlike other Nintendo titles that I knew at that time. I had some confidence that I enjoyed this, and to this day, the story and world-building of Binding Blade is one of my favorites. I'm hoping that one day I could make a crossover fanfic of Binding Blade's story adapted into a modern-day Pokemon setting.

Edited by henrymidfields

specifically from cover art you mean? if yes, then no ive never thought/cant remember thinking that

if you include trailers and stuff then yeah

though i think in your case when its part of a series and youve already played prior games its kinda obvious

Edited by Belisarius

For the most part, it takes seeing a trailer for me to know that I'll like a game. Though as someone with a good grasp of his tastes, it's easy enough for me to determine what I'll like about one. Also, I'd say it's an obvious yes when the game in question is one within a series that I already like.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Update for anyone who cares: currently playing this game and loving it. Soundtrack is even better when you're playing the battles.

granted there are, I think, over 20 atelier games so ur not running out any time soon

29 minutes ago, gralbeord said:

granted there are, I think, over 20 atelier games so ur not running out any time soon

True. After I finish the Dusk trilogy, I have the Arland trilogy set up and Sophie.

1 hour ago, gralbeord said:

Some of them (by which I mean all the ones before the Iris games) weren't released outside of Japan though.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

True. After I finish the Dusk trilogy, I have the Arland trilogy set up and Sophie.

Speaking of, the Dusk trilogy and the Arland trilogy also have Plus versions available on the PS Vita (or a PSTV if you have one; the Plus version of Rorona is available on PS3 as well).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

11 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Speaking of, the Dusk trilogy and the Arland trilogy also have Plus versions available on the PS Vita (or a PSTV if you have one; the Plus version of Rorona is available on PS3 as well).

I know! I have a Vita too but I opted for the PS3 copies (Rorona Plus instead of original though). I prefer console gaming and if I'm curious about the extra cutscenes, I can watch 'em on Youtube.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I coulda sworn all 3 of the mystery games were out. I know I have firis
mana khemia is also on psn if you want that, but i don't think 2 is

59 minutes ago, gralbeord said:

I coulda sworn all 3 of the mystery games were out. I know I have firis
mana khemia is also on psn if you want that, but i don't think 2 is

Well, Firis is out, yes. But Lydie & Suelle isn't... Yet (it comes out late March).