Thoughts on Omni's video: Deleting Fire Emblem Heroes?

Charmeleonbrah

This Youtuber posted an interesting video in which he discusses his Heroes addiction and the game's negative aspects, and ends the video by deleting the app.  He brings up some good points about the game, in that there is a lot of joyless grinding involved, the game's simplistic design, and the addicting/time-sink nature of the game, among other good points.  He also hits the nail on the head about the infuriating summoning banners.  I'll diligently save up 150+ orbs in a month, summon on a banner, get 1-3 good units amongst a sea of Bartres, and then go back to saving all my orbs for the rest of the month.

Personally, I won't install the game as Omni did (he also has an agenda as a content creator).  It sounds like if he was able to better control his playtime he wouldn't have had as many issues with the game.  I would agree that I've probably played the game too much.  What do you guys think?  Will you do the unthinkable in 2018 and *gasp* uninstall Fire Emblem Heroes?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not.  Fire Emblem Heroes is mostly something I play to pass the time between classes or on brief car trips and not something I would set aside such a large amount of time for.  I certainly think it's better than Pokemon Go, at any rate.

For me, it works perfectly fine as a "Fire Emblem lite" experience to sate me until I can get back to the real thing.

For me, I stopped and uninstalled Fire Emblem Heroes because I eventually felt little reward for anything that I was doing so it just felt like I was mindlessly doing the same thing over and over. Even with new banners and new chapters being released,  it still felt like that same cycle of doing playing the stages, getting the rewards and then rinse and repeat. It's different from other gacha games I've played because unlike Heroes, the other gacha games I've played have more engaging content, story, and characters that keep me surprised and interested. But that's just how I feel based on my own experiences and I'm not saying that Heroes is bad - I'd just rather play other games.

15 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

For me, I stopped and uninstalled Fire Emblem Heroes because I eventually felt little reward for anything that I was doing so it just felt like I was mindlessly doing the same thing over and over. Even with new banners and new chapters being released,  it still felt like that same cycle of doing playing the stages, getting the rewards and then rinse and repeat. It's different from other gacha games I've played because unlike Heroes, the other gacha games I've played have more engaging content, story, and characters that keep me surprised and interested. But that's just how I feel based on my own experiences and I'm not saying that Heroes is bad - I'd just rather play other games.

I can relate to this.  There hasn't been much added to the game for a while gameplay-wise, besides Arena Assault.  After I cleared all the story maps/CCs/Paralogues/SA I felt there wasn't much to do except fight in Arena and questgrind for orbs.  I think I mainly come back to the game because of the new characters that are released each month.

To be honest, deleting Fire Emblem Heroes would in fact be the smartest decision made. As well as the hardest. What you have to consider is how much time and money you spent on this app. And deleting the data and losing everything could be considered making all the effort you put into it before a waste. 

The fact this guy was able to do it, I commend him for that. It took real guts. Guts that I currently lack. I can't make that step and save myself from this addiction yet.

But in the future, I might give it up. One thing I want more than anything is to see this story's completion, if there ever will be one. Doubtful, but still. I stuck through it before, I'll still stay through it.

I commend the guy for making the best choice for him. If Heroes is taking so much of your time that you're unable to focus on other, more important things then it's better to leave it (although the sunk cost fallacy makes it super hard when you've spent so much time/money on this thing). 

For me I'm not planning on leaving Heroes anytime soon, I'm having more fun with this game than with some console games. I might drop it someday but as it is I'll stick around for a long time I still need to have Ishtar and Guinivere in the game to feel like I can stop collecting characters I want and we know Guinivere may not come ever so...

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

To be honest, deleting Fire Emblem Heroes would in fact be the smartest decision made. As well as the hardest. What you have to consider is how much time and money you spent on this app. And deleting the data and losing everything could be considered making all the effort you put into it before a waste. 

The fact this guy was able to do it, I commend him for that. It took real guts. Guts that I currently lack. I can't make that step and save myself from this addiction yet.

But in the future, I might give it up. One thing I want more than anything is to see this story's completion, if there ever will be one. Doubtful, but still. I stuck through it before, I'll still stay through it.

I've played this game pretty much everyday since I installed it in July.  There were others who installed day 1 in February.  If I very conservatively say I average about an hour a day playing the game, then I've probably played 200 hours.  It's so hard to let go of something that you have invested so much time into.  That's one reason why Blade Runner 2049 was so jarring for me; the underlying theme of simulated v. real experience.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Time enjoyed is not time wasted.  And I'm still having a blast with this game.

My thoughts exactly, especially since you can do so without spending any money.

I'm not really an avid player of the game myself, I only really keep up with updates to see the new character art since I really like IntSys has been giving these older characters some life again.

As for Omni, I have a couple of thoughts. Good on him for deleting the app and overcoming his addiction, but some of his complaints about the game don't make much sense since that is the deal with almost 90% of gacha games and is something you should expect when you go into one. It's the exact reason I don't play Heroes since I don't like the fact that I'm not guaranteed my favourites.

Another reason that's good about him deleting the app is that he may relax a bit. I'm not an avid watcher of his content since I find Omni to be a pretty angry person and I'm not a fan of that but it was especially the case with Heroes. I would occasionally watch one of his streams if I was up and there was nothing else to watch on YT and a commentor would talk about a build of there's that may not 'optimal' and Omni would sometimes just get angry at them calling them stupid for their build. I also remember how he really overreacted to Sages giving Wrys Close Counter, even though it was just a joke, I found Omni got a bit too pissed about it for no reason.

TLDR; not trying to call Omni a bad person, but I feel whenever he did Heroes stuff or talked about Heroes he would always be the, dare I say, 'elitist'/if it's not high tier it's shit tier, so I am happy for him and I hope that feels better because of deleting the app.

21 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I've played this game pretty much everyday since I installed it in July.  There were others who installed day 1 in February.  If I very conservatively say I average about an hour a day playing the game, then I've probably played 200 hours.  It's so hard to let go of something that you have invested so much time into.  That's one reason why Blade Runner 2049 was so jarring for me; the underlying theme of simulated v. real experience.

So did I. And I played a long time as well. In fact, I even raised my M!Robin with +Atk/-Res all the way to +10. It was so trying and difficult, but because of that, Robin has become one my most powerful units in the game. 

The time isn't wasted. And I'm still investing time to make more powerful units, like Adult Tiki. And making a Dragon Emblem Team now that refined Lightning Breath+ is OP as hell. 

I am F2P so I will keep Heroes on my phone.  I have played gatchas before so I knew what I was getting in to and decided before I started playing that I would not buy orbs, unless I had a gift card or something like that.  I  think that Omni got a bit too angry about Heroes and it is a good thing they are not playing anymore, their videos tended to end up as rants.

I'm not too familiar with Omni, although he seems to be cut from the same cloth as most Fire Emblem Youtubers.  The only channel I routinely watch is Pheonixmaster1, as he has good unit analysis, map strategies, and is pretty accurate with predictions for future content.  I just think the points presented in the video are interesting.  In-game, I would like to see more content and less grinding bs (beat the tenth stratum one trillion times and get 1,500 shards and 5 orbs!)

I'm happy with both the time and money I spend on Fire Emblem Heroes. I have no plans to delete the game, and I'm still having a lot of fun on it. I have some complaints, but then there are always going to be complaints about any game, since none are perfect. I've not watched the video nor do I plan to. The person did what they thought was right for them. 

7 minutes ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I'm not too familiar with Omni, although he seems to be cut from the same cloth as most Fire Emblem Youtubers.  The only channel I routinely watch is Pheonixmaster1, as he has good unit analysis, map strategies, and is pretty accurate with predictions for future content.  I just think the points presented in the video are interesting.  In-game, I would like to see more content and less grinding bs (beat the tenth stratum one trillion times and get 1,500 shards and 5 orbs!)

Second that. I also occasionally watch Abdallah as well. I found Omni to be too... ranty... 

One youtuber i kinda wish was still doing Heroes vids is JohneAwesome. That guy has quite the personality. "I swear to god if I get another Gunter-" (Gunter). John goes quiet. Like, that guy made it fun to watch.

As for grinding quests, didn't we just have that survey? I think they even asked about it? (I can't remember). If enough people complained, I would think they'd change it, right?

Oh, I was surprised to find this was a new video. I remember him doing one a while back where he promises to delete the game, does some final summons, gets exactly the unit he wanted and decides he'll keep it, what a classic Omni troll.

I deleted Fire Emblem Heroes too. I have to, every time the game gets a major update. It's rather annoying.

It's a bad video, but I think the point's about difficulty are justified. 

My personal experience - 

I was F2P for 4 weeks. I don't usually play Mobile games (it was like my second ever). 

I managed to beat all 5 of the squad assaults (at the time) and the 2 GHB (Michalis/Berkut) on infernal during that time period. 

I uninstalled the game after the Gunthra/new years update because the game's file size became too large for my 2013 Android phone.

If I installed the app on a real device, I think I would try to run through the Squad Assaults and the  harder double chapter chain challenges with each of the 4 brave hero starters  + the rotation heroes + whatever 60 randoms I got from burning the single chapter normal/hard/lunatic story orbs. 

I think the game plays best when combining limited resources to get through the chain challenges and sqaud assault. My last week (after getting lucky finally via the legendary hero banner) was a little less entertaining for me due to finally having a reliable 5 star team. 

Deleting RPG save files in general doesn't bother me (for such things as starting nuzlockes or single class/job challenges) so the aspect of "losing progress" doesn't bother me. Being forced to try to complete the best- made part of the game with non-synergistic units seems like a better pay off than the "ultra reliable" situation I was in before uninstalling the game where when say (the Amelia BHB and the developer maps) the new content was trivial to beat practically the first time.

also the brain dead complaint applies 5x more to the mainline games than FEH with only 2 of the 15 games as exceptions

Anyway I think that most of the complaints about "gambling" or exploitation come from a misunderstanding of the gacha genre, and theoretical concern for other people (eg children) rather than a legitimate problem. It always comes off as affectation, no matter where I read it. People know how to use phones responsibility and the game is very clear that it isn't meant to guarantee you specific heroes.

Yeah, fair enough.

I won't cast any speculations about Omni himself or his motives because I don't watch his channel, but he his points aren't necessarily wrong. I know Heroes is considered to be the kindest gacha by a lot of people, but at the end of the day it's still a gacha game. There's a certain amount of stuff that you just kind of have to accept as a part of the genre, and it's certainly not a genre for everyone.

Edited by Phillius the Crestfallen

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh, I was surprised to find this was a new video. I remember him doing one a while back where he promises to delete the game, does some final summons, gets exactly the unit he wanted and decides he'll keep it, what a classic Omni troll.

I deleted Fire Emblem Heroes too. I have to, every time the game gets a major update. It's rather annoying.

I saw that one, he gets Summer Corrin on what was supposed to be his last pull before deleting the game.  He pulls a Sanaki in this one and acts legit surprised.

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

If I installed the app on a real device, I think I would try to run through the Squad Assaults and the  harder double chapter chain challenges with each of the 4 brave hero starters  + the rotation heroes + whatever 60 randoms I got from burning the single chapter normal/hard/lunatic story orbs. 

I think the game plays best when combining limited resources to get through the chain challenges and sqaud assault. My last week (after getting lucky finally via the legendary hero banner) was a little less entertaining for me due to finally having a reliable 5 star team. 

Deleting RPG save files in general doesn't bother me (for such things as starting nuzlockes or single class/job challenges) so the aspect of "losing progress" doesn't bother me. Being forced to try to complete the best- made part of the game with non-synergistic units seems like a better pay off than the "ultra reliable" situation I was in before uninstalling the game where when say (the Amelia BHB and the developer maps) the new content was trivial to beat practically the first time.

also the brain dead complaint applies 5x more to the mainline games than FEH with only 2 of the 15 games as exceptions

Anyway I think that most of the complaints about "gambling" or exploitation come from a misunderstanding of the gacha genre, and theoretical concern for other people (eg children) rather than a legitimate problem. It always comes off as affectation, no matter where I read it. People know how to use phones responsibility and the game is very clear that it isn't meant to guarantee you specific heroes.

I've said this before.  Like in other games, in FEH you eventually reach 'game-god' mode and the game becomes too easy.  For example, in the Legend of Zelda when you fight Ganon and you have 20 hearts, and five bottles with red potions.  For example, my flier emblem team cleared all difficulties in Oliver's BHB on the first try.  

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Time enjoyed is not time wasted.  And I'm still having a blast with this game.

Wish more people thought like that.

But back on subject, it’s worth noting that this game is honest about what it is. It’s a gacha game and it shows. You should know exactly what you’re getting into when you download it. If it is your first gacha game, research the genre before downloading it. 

Complaing about not getting the units you want in this game is like complaing about the Fire Emblem games requiring strategy when it is a strategy game.