Thoughts on Omni's video: Deleting Fire Emblem Heroes?

Charmeleonbrah

Idk who he is but that's up to each one, honestly. I did the same with Summoners War and Phantom of the Kill and uninstalled them, despite having invested periodically on both games, and don't regret it. Different it is with Heroes because I'm an FE fan and will always supported.

The game itself has done overall a pretty decent job considering this is one of Nintendo's first mobile apps. The game has its good and lame moments but all in all it's been good and consistent, and I appreciate it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I play it because I want to "sink time" into it.  :lol:

People calling video games a waste of time is a pet peeve of mine.  Entertainment is not a waste of time.  If I look back and think about all the hours I spent playing the game (1-2 hours per day if I had to guess), I feel happy because it was fun. 

Oh, and the strategy part of the game keeps my brain thinking more than my job does, that's for sure.  :P:  

Edited by Infinite Dreams

as some one who has a bit of a gambling problem I don't blame anyone for getting rid of something that's trying to get you to put in money with no chance of getting anything of real world value.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

To be honest, deleting Fire Emblem Heroes would in fact be the smartest decision made. As well as the hardest. What you have to consider is how much time and money you spent on this app. And deleting the data and losing everything could be considered making all the effort you put into it before a waste. 

The fact this guy was able to do it, I commend him for that. It took real guts. Guts that I currently lack. I can't make that step and save myself from this addiction yet.

But in the future, I might give it up. One thing I want more than anything is to see this story's completion, if there ever will be one. Doubtful, but still. I stuck through it before, I'll still stay through it.

It's not that big of a sacrifice it it's linked to a Nintendo account. If that's the case, you could pick it up again whenever you want.

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

To be honest, deleting Fire Emblem Heroes would in fact be the smartest decision made. As well as the hardest. What you have to consider is how much time and money you spent on this app. And deleting the data and losing everything could be considered making all the effort you put into it before a waste. 

I mean, you could delete the app but keep the data. You only lose everything when you delete the link to your Nintendo account. Which is what Omni did, i believe. JWitzz did something similar, except he just deleted the app, which means that if he ever wanted to redownload the game, all of his data would be there once he links back up with his Nintendo account.

As for my thoughts......eh. You do you. 

Regardless of you're a F2P, something inbetween (like Belinda and I used to be Dolphins), or a whale... if you enjoy the game, there is no shame in loving Fire Emblem Heroes or not seeing the negativity there.

I have 220k feathers right now to upgrade who I want when I want at my own pace.

The grind is a HELL of a lot more lenient compared to other gacha games I play/played.

There is also no shame in deleting the app.

This game is all about self control and resource management. If he feels that its presence is toxic to him, then all the power to him for deleting it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

When my Defense Lead Roy has been upgraded and has every Skill he can possibly get through Skill Inheritance in the game, I'll think about considering the possibility of looking at deleting. When my Palla is in the same situation, I'll think about considering it. When my Cordelia(FINALLY GOT MY FIRST ONE LAST WEEK YEESSSSSS) is also in the same situation, I'll think about it. When my Sakura follows suit and my entire Arena Team is composed of Units possessing every possible Skill obtainable through Skill Inheritance...

Nah. Probably not.

FEH is still the most entertaining mobile game I've tried so until something unseats the status quo will remain. Something has to fill in the dead time when working a boring desk job, and this is that something.

That said, the diminishing returns are definitely starting to bite - I mean the stronger your barracks already is, the less impact new additions will have, it's only natural. Keeping up with the curve in order to even be able to do stuff like Lunatic GHBs used to be a thing, now that incentive no longer really exists. Yes, Arena is a constant rat-race but I've never cared about arena, especially when "keeping up" means a grand total of 600 extra feathers a week.

Thinking back, the last unit that made a significant impact on my gameplay was Black Knight, who made doing stuff with armour teams viable (before that my armour team was Amelia, Hector and some 4-stars). Before him, it was Bowlyn and Summer Corrin. Notably, two of those three game-changers were free.

These days, even when I get a unit high on my wanted list such as Celica on the November Legendary banner, I think to myself "cool" then proceed to barely use them (and she doesn't even have a complete skill set yet). I do want Micaiah now but she'd likely meet a similar fate, at best competing with Linde for third-resort blue mage behind Reinhardt and SCorrin. My most wanted unit is probably still Ayra but what would she do for me? Most likely just be the mainstay in the monthly "do 10th Stratum with all infantry" quests. With that in mind, you can see why spending money becomes harder and harder to justify.

Haven't watched the video. Then again, I haven't really watched much of Omni, but I may check it out later. I do know that Rasouli (however you spell his name) recently did his final FEH video. There's no shame in quitting the series. If you don't like it, don't play it. Even as someone who really, really loves it I know it has its faults, and it can get tedious at times. Summoning is what it is. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose, and that sucks too, but that's sort of the nature of the game style. You just have to accept it.

I will say, sometimes I have an issue with people saying they're quitting, making a big deal out of it, and then not quitting. I had a week in the Arena where I just couldn't win. I got to the point where I had basically written up a post about how I was going to quit the Arena. And then I got a deathless streak and instantly felt better if not a little silly for thinking about quitting over a few days of rotten luck. Taking a break is fine. Rage quitting and ranting about it forever isn't (especially if you get what you want and immediately flip-flop opinions).

As long as Omni is happy with his choice and sticks with it, no shame. You shouldn't be making videos for something you're not passionate about!

I’ve been actively (and I mean it) playing the game since the second of February, and I’m not going to drop it anytime soon. It is engaging and the scaled-down FE experience is addicting. Also all the characters from all over the series will eventually be here… unless everyone decides to become a seasonal. Also it has Sharena.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Who is Omni and why should I care?

If you're not enjoying this game or it is negatively affecting your daily life, delete it. Simple as that. There's nothing special about doing so.

Once again Ice Dragon hits the nail on its head with impunity.

I’ve never understood the popularity of internet celebrities. Why would I take seriously what anyone does on the web?

12 hours ago, eclipse said:

Time enjoyed is not time wasted.  And I'm still having a blast with this game.

Pretty much this.

I'm not one to replay games I've already beaten too many times, so going back and beating Fates, Awakening, Echoes, etc over and over until a new FE comes out is not something I feel like doing for my Fire Emblem fix. Nor do I really feel like digging up much older GBA titles and whatnot that I've missed. Heroes has been something that stays fresh so I can keep playing something "new" between actual new FE games. So I'm still enjoying the game and will probably continue to do so. If I stop enjoying it, then I'll stop playing it. And then as far as cost sunk fallacy, even with some money put in, I don't find it really wasted since I've had fun and I haven't spent beyond my means. Even on a game that's not as permanent, neither is life. Everything will be "wasted" eventually.

Personally not a fan of Omni's toxicity. I've been enjoying the game since launch without dropping a single cent. If he gets angry over a mobile game, he should delete it.

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

Not unless it crashes my phone or something.  Self-control is in the eye of the beholder!

My eyes are bad.

14 hours ago, Reality said:

I uninstalled the game after the Gunthra/new years update because the game's file size became too large for my 2013 Android phone.

I also use a 2013 Android, but have enough space for 4 games (FGO JPN, FGO NA, Tales of the Rays, FEH) with a couple of gigs left over.  I have to wonder what else you have clogging up space.

My thoughts on his video? I think he's missing out on playing with Sanaki and her new Cymbeline. I, on the other hand, plan to keep playing FEH for quite awhile longer. I'm having too much fun with the game. If you're not having fun with the game, or it's interfering with your life activities, then yeah, you should quit.

It's an interesting coincidence that he mentioned chess. I actually used to play a lot of chess, but that stopped being fun for me, since I can be pretty competitive. I'm also a perfectionist, and so sometimes playing brought out the maladaptive traits of that to the fore.

9 hours ago, GinRei said:

My eyes are bad.

I also use a 2013 Android, but have enough space for 4 games (FGO JPN, FGO NA, Tales of the Rays, FEH) with a couple of gigs left over.  I have to wonder what else you have clogging up space.

I don't know about everyone else but my phone has been clogged up since I bought it, android has way to many built in apps that you can't delete and they take up a crapton of space, though at least I can get more space, I've just been lazy about it.

on the video, I really don't understand everyone's gripes with not getting what you want, sure there is plenty of crap you don't want, but I feel like if I don't get what I want that's just how it is, I'm peeved for a few hours but it goes away pretty quickly, I've probably spent a cumulative total of 240 free to play orbs on mist alone and never gotten her, all I can do is be optimistic and act like one day she will just fall into my hands, even though that is very unlikely, so I guess if you have a problem with not getting what you want this is not a good game for you, as for me I probably have over 200 hours played all together all freeloader to play, all pretty enjoyable, maybe it's just me but I feel like if I really spent money the crap pulls would only be made worse and my great pulls wouldn't feel near as good.

and I always hated calling it gambling, you have nothing to gain, it's an insult to gambling, FEH is less than gambling it's like a slot machine where you get chuck e. cheese tokens or blackjack where you only get to keep a card from the deck when you win.

16 hours ago, GinRei said:

My eyes are bad.

I dunno about them, but my own 2016(?) phone is permanently clogged by undeletable "systems storage", constantly getting bigger after every update. I've disabled every app I don't use and prevented their updates, but they're constantly worming their way back in after these updates as well.

Eventually I'll run out of space for an FEH update and have to resort to playing on my tablet.

This is the only video of his I can recall ever seeing, so I have no other opinion of him. There are some things I noticed in the video I'd like to point out:

• While he made some (valid) criticisms of the game, ultimately, he doesn't blame the game, he blames himself and his own issues. This is good.
  • His biggest disappointment was possibly leaving the community. He understands that there is some toxicity but that such is present everywhere and really loves the community. This is also good.
  • If I understood correctly, he's never played any other FE games, but seemed interested in trying them now. More good.

I'm not someone who has his kind of problems with a game like this, but I can sympathize with him. It may have been hard, but if he believes he made the right decision for himself, I'm inclined to believe him.

Why does he need to make a big show and dance about it?

Pheonixmaster1 is the only FEH Youtuber I watch because he's so lovely when he gets the unit he wants, he just sounds so genuine.

Personally, I don't understand how anyone can get addicted to Heroes, though I suppose it's the whole summoning aspect that makes you want to see who you can get. I'm a proud F2P, and I've done quite well with my goal, which is summon all the lords, plus the Nohrian and Hoshidan siblings, plus a few favourites.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much money you pour into the game, you still have the same chance to get a unit as a F2P. It's all luck.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much money you pour into the game, you still have the same chance to get a unit as a F2P. It's all luck.

You do know that Gacha games prey on that, right?

I'll admit that there are times it does feel like FEH is becoming more of addiction, but it never felt bad as an MMO game.

Yesterday morning, I remember I wanted to deplete all stamina so I won't have to later worry refilling in a couple hours so I played the TT. It took about half an hour & it made me somewhat tardy to the movies, but I'm willing blame myself on that then the game.

Self-control is vital but it's a lot more difficult than some people make it out to be.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

Same chance per pull, but a lot more pulls, which is where the difference lies.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Same chance per pull, but a lot more pulls, which is where the difference lies.

Even so, there is no guaranteed chance that you'll get the unit you want. Most likely, you'll pull a pity breaker.

Just now, Lau said:

Even so, there is no guaranteed chance that you'll get the unit you want. Most likely, you'll pull a pity breaker.

You are 1.26 times more likely to pull Micaiah than a pity breaker when pulling blue on the World of Dawn banner and 1.72 times more likely to pull Sothe than a pity breaker.

13 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I don't know about everyone else but my phone has been clogged up since I bought it, android has way to many built in apps that you can't delete and they take up a crapton of space, though at least I can get more space, I've just been lazy about it.

6 hours ago, Cornguy said:

I dunno about them, but my own 2016(?) phone is permanently clogged by undeletable "systems storage", constantly getting bigger after every update. I've disabled every app I don't use and prevented their updates, but they're constantly worming their way back in after these updates as well.

Eventually I'll run out of space for an FEH update and have to resort to playing on my tablet.

Maybe that's the issue.  I bought mine unlocked directly from Google, so it had none of that bloatware.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Money is wasted the second you spend it on something from which it cannot be retrieved. Don't fall victim to sunk cost. Similarly, time cannot be retrieved, but that is no excuse to continue pouring further time and effort into something that will not yield a satisfactory return on your investment of it. It's even entirely possible to have enjoyed your time with something at one point while recognizing that those memories can live on with you instead of your account, which is a lesson that should be all too familiar to anyone who has experienced a dead or dying MMO.

I deleted the game after Ayra and it's the best decision I made regarding it, and these days I only pay passing attention to it out of morbid curiosity. This place seems to be (as usual) the most dedicated to defending the game and any of its issues, but elsewhere you can see cracks clearly beginning to show, and it isn't hard to see why. January has been probably the best month in a while (what competition is there lmao), but I wouldn't get comfortable when February (starring the Anniversary and Valentine's Day) is looming around the corner and we've probably got another Legendary Hero to ruin the arena with soon.

7 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Money is wasted the second you spend it on something from which it cannot be retrieved.

By that logic, you should never spend money on food.

10 minutes ago, Iridium said:

This place seems to be (as usual) the most dedicated to defending the game and any of its issues,

I'm not seeing any of that. I just see people being more civil about its issues instead of resorting to one-line meme responses or click-bait doomsday predictions.