Cuphead In: Don't Deal With the Mafia (Game Over)

Aizen

1 minute ago, Cala Maria said:

You say I'm waffling on you, but I've been defending you. Your reasons for voting me are false. You've done nothing to dissuade Kahl from not voting you, just because I disagree with someone's reasons, I need to call them out and not be fine with it? Wtf is that logic? 

you're defending me and saying "but i could be wrong" in the same breath. that's waffling

if you disagree with someone's reasons for voting i'd say you should almost certainly call them out. figure out where their head's at, convince them of a better vote, at least TALK to them about it. going out of your way to say "i disagree but you do you" and leaving it at that is like so foreign to me that i'm struggling to see how it comes from a village mindset

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with your Calamari case but what do you think about the votes on you?  FYPOV, are the cases wrong or scummy?  Is there scum?

It's probably just a different scumhunting mindset (assuming you come from offsite, hello space invader), but I'm struggling to comprehend your lack of responses.

1 minute ago, Dr. Kahl said:

I'm fine with your Calamari case but what do you think about the votes on you?  FYPOV, are the cases wrong or scummy?  Is there scum?

It's probably just a different scumhunting mindset (assuming you come from offsite, hello space invader), but I'm struggling to comprehend your lack of responses.

i'll admit to being an offsiter - i'm sure this was far from a grand revelation lmao

gimme a few to reread the cases on me and i'll get back to you

1 hour ago, Wally Warbles said:

It isn't competence as much as it is paranoia. Scum are much less likely to make mistakes like that when casing someone.

I was the first vote on Djimmi and wanted to make sure they were not going to get away with their early play. It was a bit more than just "them not doing anything in RVS." I didn't do anything in RVS myself. I believed them to be posting just for the sake of it and trying to fake relevancy, which is a little different. Their post contained one egregious non-conclusion on a player which I thought would be easily faked and good for scum to try and keep their options open.

Anyway, main target of the day should probably be Rumor as they spent the entire time on their RVS post as someone else deftly mentioned. I don't think this is a case of "too scummy to be scum" either as struggling to come up with solid cases and reads is very common for scum. ##Vote: Rumor Honeybottoms. I'll read into Cala when I don't feel like death (so hopefully later).

This is your second content post in as many days.  What's your take on the rest of the game?

48 minutes ago, Hilda Berg said:

First of all, I want to apologize. I feel like I have been making this game a lot less fun for all of you. Mostly because while I do play mafia and have played it before on this forum, this particular format isn't really for me. I play on other forums too,  but this one is by far the most intense and it really isn't for me. However, I do want to end this one satisfyingly. I see Beppi is still on my case, which i'm honestly going to ignore for now since no matter what I say he won't change his mind. I don't really know how to feel about him, if i'm being honest. It's really not that hard for a mafia person to look like a townie, it happens all the time. What I don't like is that Grim seems to be pushing a Beppi case so much. He calls him out for lying but I honestly don't see how he is lying? Where is this lie stated? Did I miss it? An argument about him being sick and that being an 'Excuse' to be absent is just stupid and kind of hypocritical. Everyone can have reasons to not be online, I don't see how him being sick is supposed to be a genuine argument? Please tell me if i'm wrong about any of this.

##Vote Grim Matchstick

Remember when I said you'd be a good vig shot?  I apologize. This is the single towniest thing I've seen all game, because you're somewhat defending the guy who tried to have you lynched.

33 minutes ago, Cala Maria said:

I read the EoD votals and compared them with previous votals. I don't feel like Djimmi was being presented as a counterwagon as such to Beppi and Werner, but that's also because I townread both of them. I feel like if there are scum on the Djimmi wagon its probably the ones who changed their view on Djimmi or just went for consolidation. Mafia is probably more passive than not.

I agree with Captain Brineybeard that Sally's post wrt handling their rumor read was bad. Like she made an entire paragraph about why Rumor was not scum in her eyes, only to entertain the notion of her read being wrong. There's scum intent here because mafia try to avoid being 'wrong' and this is like she's trying to weasel out of a commitment to a read.

I think in vacuum Kahl sticking with the Rumor vote looks bad but Rumor's play hasn't changed or done anything different fro him to possibly change his read with her so I'm actually fine with his vote on her. I don't really have anything to say about Rumor because YES I don't see scum intent in scumreading someone but not voting them but if you're doing this continuously then you're avoiding associative tells which fucks the town over. Honey, put your vote where your mouth is, K? Still not feeling this yet though.

So where's Sally in relation to Honeybottoms?  You mention how bad she is, and that's it.

33 minutes ago, Rumor Honeybottoms said:

oy vey so i don't think looking at votals is gonna help much

when you've got a big wagon on a villager it's really difficult to make any alignment interpretations off of that unless you've got one of the counterwagons flipped as well, which we obviously don't

dammit that was my ticket back into relevancy fml

The hell is this supposed to mean?

19 minutes ago, Rumor Honeybottoms said:

from a skim of today's pickings:

beppi and matchstick feel town vs town purely off of tone

hilda solidifies my townread on her with the post she made higher up on this page

the fire that werner's bringing makes me lean town but i should probably actually read all those words at some point lmao

brineybeard is like blatantly town and i wouldn't be surprised if he got doc saved or something

not 100% sure what to make of wally. low quantity/high quality posts is easier for scum to fake than the reverse. hasn't really given me any super strong reason to read him either direction. will call it null for now.

not sure i like cala maria's latest post. first paragraph is useless fluff. second paragraph is a piggybacked read. third paragraph is what strikes me as the oddest, tbh. "i'm fine with this person voting you but i don't have thoughts on you yet but you'd better not do x" is pretty waffly. almost reads to me like she knows i'm town and would rather have others mislynch me than have to hop onto the wagon herself

On one hand, your methods of finding scum is to announce that everyone's town.  On the other hand, I saw that, and now I'm waffling.

8 minutes ago, Rumor Honeybottoms said:

idk i just think it's really weird that your first reaction to me voting you is "wtf i've been defending you all game"

To be fair, she has.

All this spat tells me is that the odds of Honeybottoms/Maria both being scum are fairly low.  Fuck if I'm coherent enough to make a vote off of this.  On content alone, Honeybottoms looks worse, but that thing I quoted bugs me enough that I don't want to vote her yet.  Would like clarification on that thing from Maria.

1 hour ago, Wally Warbles said:

Anyway, main target of the day should probably be Rumor as they spent the entire time on their RVS post as someone else deftly mentioned. I don't think this is a case of "too scummy to be scum" either as struggling to come up with solid cases and reads is very common for scum. ##Vote: Rumor Honeybottoms. I'll read into Cala when I don't feel like death (so hopefully later).

this one's kind of weird? the vote is a valid but oft-repeated point. the issue is i still feel like i had some reads/cases, even if i didn't really act on em. really if anything wally here is guilty of not reading (which is like a slightly-higher-than-random chance to be mafia but not nearly conclusive)

still reading

8 hours ago, Werner Werman said:

Djimmi's lack of associative reads sucks.  Of the people that were on at the time, Baroness' worries about a hammer reads as town to me, though her insistence on not using the Quote button is annoying.  I have enough to read about, and I don't want to play "hunt that quote with no name".  Maria's list post makes me extremely uncomfortable, as does the two quotes I clipped from Sally (over two posts).  Honeybottom's lack of scum reads is bad, as well.  Grim's wallpost just make me feel a whole lot worse about that slot.  I can't vote for all four at once, though I wish I could.  For now, I'll go with this:

##Vote: Rumor Honeybottoms

I was going to vote elsewhere, but realized that this is the crux between my reads on Sally/Grim.  Both of them defend Honeybottoms' lack of scum reads.  Someone else also posted about Honeybottoms not being worth a vote in D1, but I don't remember who that was.  Maria's an odd stand-alone.  Don't feel great about a slot that seems to think the entire game is town.  I'm well aware that at least one person in my scum pool is town, but I'll sort it out when there's more posts.

Dear Honeybottoms: WHO IS SCUM?

this one's p much just based off playstyle difference. basically comes down to "do i believe werner legitimately believes me not having many scumreads is scummy". which i do. inclined to call werner one o' them incorrect-towny-types

still reading

9 hours ago, Dr. Kahl said:

Rumor is bad because she unvoted without explaining herself, as if that'd fix all of the problems with her slot.  The lack of self preservation (as pointed out by Captain) in not voting the other wagon over herself is more likely to come from town, but it doesn't alleviate my issues w/the slot.  If Rumor came off as an inexperienced player, this would be more telling but that's not the impression I got, which is why I'd consider the play null.  Also her questions at the end didn't really accomplish anything, so what was even the point?

##Vote: Rumor Honeybottoms

fair points. good push. would probably help if i mentioned that i got dragged away from the thread at the 11th hour by outside circumstances (which should be evident if you reread the eod posting)

think i've only got one more to look at

9 hours ago, Beppi The Clown said:

##Vote: Rumor Honeybottom

Let's start off with this. As pointed out by Kahl at the end of D1, Rumor just doesn't seem to have scum reads. They have a couple of town reads, including one or two they felt confident on, but it also didn't feel like they were actively scum hunting. The fact that they had their vote on Captain, their RVS vote, for the majority of the day phase even when they came back after RVS -- and never actually voted their main scum read or even removed RVS vote until Kahl pointed it out, makes me feel like this slot is scum. Gives off the vibes of not putting in as much effort as they could be while still trying to look like they're doing a lot.

(I'm also trying not to be biased by meta, because I suspect who the player is, but even without meta my point still stands.)

i'm a bit wary of you claiming to have meta on me (the odds of that are very low) but other than that i pretty much buy this

Anyway I'm going to move to other things.

I'm still holding to Town!Brineybeard because I haven't seen anything questionable from his play and the only thing I can even think of from scum!BB is not pushing Rumor harder as a counterwagon to Werner and Beppi since he didn't want to lynch either of them. This is tinfoil but I'd entertain this if he shows a history of pushing mislynches over he course of the game, would not lynch today.

My read on Wally was null but reading back I feel like from that wallpost, he should have been voting Rumor instead of Djimmi since he actually had problems with Rumor that he stated but in his recent post his justification for voting Djimmi is that he didn't want to let Djimmi slide, but CBB is right in that suspicious behavior at RVS has a lower prio to that during the later parts of the day.  Scumreading this one.

9 minutes ago, Werner Werman said:

The hell is this supposed to mean?

replied to kahl with an explanation, it's somewhere on the last page

On one hand, your methods of finding scum is to announce that everyone's town.  On the other hand, I saw that, and now I'm waffling.

i'm not entirely sure what you mean here

To be fair, she has.

All this spat tells me is that the odds of Honeybottoms/Maria both being scum are fairly low.  Fuck if I'm coherent enough to make a vote off of this.  On content alone, Honeybottoms looks worse, but that thing I quoted bugs me enough that I don't want to vote her yet.  Would like clarification on that thing from Maria.

so you're fairly confident me and cala aren't town vs town?

what specifically about my quoted post is making you hesitate? or do you just think it's Good

If I quoted this, it would be blank.

I'm still trying to figure out what side I think you are.  The interaction between you/Maria doesn't sound like a bus, hence why I don't think you're both scum.  But whether or not that offhand comment was just that, or something else, I'm not sure.  You'd need to claim for me to be certain, but now's NOT the time to do so.  I'll mull over it and see if I get any bright ideas.

Sally>Wally and tbh Rumor's vote gave me cognitive dissonance but I still want to believe they're town. Anyway, I'm voting neither of Sally/Wally.

Instead, ##Vote: Hilda Berg

First, 

Read the first few pages of this game. There was a player who flipped scum who was quite defensive, tried to follow the flock and not really contribute to the discussion. Hilda Berg and this player share the same kind of playstyle, I'm not making a mistake here.

And I don't care that Hilda let Beppi off the hook, if you've read this phase then it becomes clear that pushing Beppi as a lynch today would be bad, I'm not really seeing how that implies that Hilda is town, I don't follow your logic Werner.

24 minutes ago, Rumor Honeybottoms said:

from a skim of today's pickings:

hilda solidifies my townread on her with the post she made higher up on this page

the fire that werner's bringing makes me lean town but i should probably actually read all those words at some point lmao

brineybeard is like blatantly town and i wouldn't be surprised if he got doc saved or something

not 100% sure what to make of wally. low quantity/high quality posts is easier for scum to fake than the reverse. hasn't really given me any super strong reason to read him either direction. will call it null for now.

not sure i like cala maria's latest post. first paragraph is useless fluff. second paragraph is a piggybacked read. third paragraph is what strikes me as the oddest, tbh. "i'm fine with this person voting you but i don't have thoughts on you yet but you'd better not do x" is pretty waffly. almost reads to me like she knows i'm town and would rather have others mislynch me than have to hop onto the wagon herself

What is town about Hilda's post? The points about Briney and me really pad out the post while offering basically no insight on either of us.

I feel like that is a very dishonest misinterpretation of Cala's post. Calling wagon analysis "useless fluff" is very dismissive especially when Rumor themselves has participated in doing just that. Sheeping isn't scummy, especially not when Cala actually explained what they saw as scum intent and why, making them much more accountable than just saying "I agree with X about Y". I really dislike the last generalisation about Cala too but I think that's been talked about in terms of how wrong it is to call Cala waffly here.

Well I'm glad I don't have to reread Cala now as Rumor is very likely scum and I don't think page 13 is a buddy interaction. I think Hilda is prob the next point of interest but also Sally but w/e I'm pretty confident in this vote right now.

1 hour ago, Captain Brineybeard said:

the problem with the argument that Rumor is scum having trouble coming up with suspicions and cases is that she has come up with cases. For example while I disagreed with her suspicions about Matchstick early in D1, Cagney found them convincing enough to vote him. She just hasn't actually committed to those cases by voting people.

Where are they then? The fact that they didn't vote any of them means that they didn't think they were solid cases and lo and behold she's forgotten them. I'm her second strongest scumread and I've made 2 posts, the first being completely null apparently. Not one of her cases has any sticking power in her mind or in ours and there's definitely something wrong with that.

Regardless not committing to cases is even more egregious because it shows fear in commitment, you're going to get a lot less pushback on a case is you don't vote it or, heaven forbid, LYNCH it. Being the start of a failed wagon always brings attention and that is not ideal.

16 minutes ago, Cala Maria said:

My read on Wally was null but reading back I feel like from that wallpost, he should have been voting Rumor instead of Djimmi since he actually had problems with Rumor that he stated but in his recent post his justification for voting Djimmi is that he didn't want to let Djimmi slide, but CBB is right in that suspicious behavior at RVS has a lower prio to that during the later parts of the day.  Scumreading this one.

Yeah it was a tossup between Rumor and Djimmi for me at the time but it feels a little silly to call Djimmi's post just RVS and Rumour's much later considering both posts I commented on were on the same page (page 3). It really wasn't that long after the RVS had died down that I even made that vote and expected Djimmi to come back. To me they were both made at similar times and I felt like Djimmi was worse than Rumour and wanted to put the pressure on.

19 minutes ago, Cala Maria said:

Sally>Wally and tbh Rumor's vote gave me cognitive dissonance but I still want to believe they're town. Anyway, I'm voting neither of Sally/Wally.

First, 

Read the first few pages of this game. There was a player who flipped scum who was quite defensive, tried to follow the flock and not really contribute to the discussion. Hilda Berg and this player share the same kind of playstyle, I'm not making a mistake here.

And I don't care that Hilda let Beppi off the hook, if you've read this phase then it becomes clear that pushing Beppi as a lynch today would be bad, I'm not really seeing how that implies that Hilda is town, I don't follow your logic Werner.

I'm not sharing a playstyle with this person at all, and I think bringing up a game that happened months ago reeaaally isn't a good argument, quite weak at that. Surely you have better arguments than "Hilda shares a playstyle with someone else from a game that took place months ago!" 

Honestly, this argument is probably the weakest I have seen all game. And as I remember, this very same player had another game where a similiar thing happened, but instead he flipped town. You're not being very believable with these arguments. 

##Vote: Cala Maria

10 minutes ago, Cala Maria said:

First, 

Or someone can post and make up my mind for me.

Has Hilda been avoiding discussion since her first few posts?  Her Grim vote would've put her in line with me, even though Honeybottoms/you/Sally have generated more attention this phase.  Yet when Hilda was being stubborn, you said this, which doesn't say a thing about whether or not you think Hilda is scummy for her behavior.

Meanwhile, you have things you don't like about Sally/Wally, but don't vote either of them.

3 minutes ago, Wally Warbles said:

What is town about Hilda's post? The points about Briney and me really pad out the post while offering basically no insight on either of us.

I feel like that is a very dishonest misinterpretation of Cala's post. Calling wagon analysis "useless fluff" is very dismissive especially when Rumor themselves has participated in doing just that. Sheeping isn't scummy, especially not when Cala actually explained what they saw as scum intent and why, making them much more accountable than just saying "I agree with X about Y". I really dislike the last generalisation about Cala too but I think that's been talked about in terms of how wrong it is to call Cala waffly here.

Well I'm glad I don't have to reread Cala now as Rumor is very likely scum and I don't think page 13 is a buddy interaction. I think Hilda is prob the next point of interest but also Sally but w/e I'm pretty confident in this vote right now.

Where are they then? The fact that they didn't vote any of them means that they didn't think they were solid cases and lo and behold she's forgotten them. I'm her second strongest scumread and I've made 2 posts, the first being completely null apparently. Not one of her cases has any sticking power in her mind or in ours and there's definitely something wrong with that.

Regardless not committing to cases is even more egregious because it shows fear in commitment, you're going to get a lot less pushback on a case is you don't vote it or, heaven forbid, LYNCH it. Being the start of a failed wagon always brings attention and that is not ideal.

Yeah it was a tossup between Rumor and Djimmi for me at the time but it feels a little silly to call Djimmi's post just RVS and Rumour's much later considering both posts I commented on were on the same page (page 3). It really wasn't that long after the RVS had died down that I even made that vote and expected Djimmi to come back. To me they were both made at similar times and I felt like Djimmi was worse than Rumour and wanted to put the pressure on.

This post makes me uncomfortable.  WHY is Hilda a point of interest?  What do you think of Honeybottom's quote dump?  Why are there so many words that say so little?

For now:

##Unvote
##Vote: Cala Maria

Your case on Hilda is that bad.

Wally's slowly sliding into scum territory.  Despite having a bunch of words, he's failed to mention anything about Honeybottom's responses.

I'm scumreading half the game.  Go me?

Day 2.2 - Votals
Cala Maria (5): Captain Brineybeard, Cagney Carnation, Rumor Honeybottoms, Hilda Berg, Werner Werman
Rumor Honeybottoms (3): Dr. Kahl, Beppi The Clown, Wally Warbles
Beppi the Clown (1): Grim Matchstick
Hilda Berg (1): Cala Maria
Not Voting (2): Baroness Von Bon Bon, Sally Stageplay

You have 61 hours and 28 minutes left in the day. With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Hilda is a point of interest because I haven't read anything about them which makes them different to a significant portion of players. Same really regarding Sally and anyone else whose content only really came after I posted D1.

Honeybottom didn't really come to any conclusions in their quote dump. Can't be bothered to say the same thing over and over again on repeat. The only thing she did say of any value IMO was about my case on her and I addressed that. What part of her stuff is any good to you?

What words say very little? Very interested to hear this because as far as I'm concerned everything there is necessary so nice undermining to justify your case.

Why would Cala Maria stop scumreading me based on a metaread as scum? There's no scum motivation here other than to get townie points from me specifically. Like, no one had an issue with their read on me from my memory and it's such a weird waffle. There's no reason for mafia to do this but it makes a ton of sense to come from town who are actually trying to solve the game.

This Hilda vote is the same way. I mean, Hilda is an "easy" target but the case is super weak and it shows the player is going out of their way to read past games. Does mafia go read a game from like 4 months ago to come up with a flimsy case on the newbie? Who does that?

I'm just gonna ignore werner's posts since it makes this game bearable okhandemoji

##Unvote

Rumor, you said you're better at establishing townreads than scumreads. Okay, great. Who are your strongest townreads? Who are you confident in saying "This person is definitely town, don't lynch them ever"? Who is in your pool of not-townreads that you are willing to lynch?

what is sleep

I'm preeeetty sure Hilda is not Michelaar from that game. Firstly, Hilda's comments imply that they've only played NOC on this website once or twice, and normally play offsite and in a different format. Michelaar has played NOC on SF at least 3-4 times and afaik hasn't played on another site or played any OC/EiMM games. even if Hilda is lying, their grammar, typing style, and tone don't read like Michelaar.

this feels like a scum case honestly. going back through cala's posts afaics this is all they've said about hilda in the past: "I don't give  a fuck if this one gets lynched: Hilda Berg(yeah, I can't say anything about someone who refuses to contribute to the discussion)". this meta case about hilda playing like michelaar could have been made at any point on D1. why make it now when Hilda actually tried for the first time and apologized and started moving away from being defensive and frustrated and posted content? not to mention, there's no attempt at actually analyzing this content.

also, this might be bias on my part but I really dislike this: "I'm still holding to Town!Brineybeard because I haven't seen anything questionable from his play and the only thing I can even think of from scum!BB is not pushing Rumor harder as a counterwagon to Werner and Beppi since he didn't want to lynch either of them. This is tinfoil but I'd entertain this if he shows a history of pushing mislynches over he course of the game, would not lynch today."

this is the definition of trying to leave someone open to be a mislynch later on in the game. nobias but townies just say "yeah I really think this person is town and I would only vote them as a last resort". this is more like "yeah I think this person is town but actually there was this very slightly scummy thing they did and it's not important now but it might be important later if it keeps happening"

@wally- the thing though is that the overall narrative you're trying to portray doesn't fit. like if rumor is scum who has trouble making cases, would they be able to rattle off the string of content they just did? even if you think the content is bad, it's clear that they're at the least competent enough to fabricate cases. the points you make about them dropping their cases from d1 and not committing to cases are valid but they're separate points. also, yes, you get pushback for pushing a mislynch, but you also clearly get pushback for not voting at all. there's a middle ground between those two, and scum usually tend to err towards the side of pushing mislynches over the side of not pushing anything (provided they're competent enough to push cases, which rumor is).

5 minutes ago, Wally Warbles said:

Hilda is a point of interest because I haven't read anything about them which makes them different to a significant portion of players. Same really regarding Sally and anyone else whose content only really came after I posted D1.

Honeybottom didn't really come to any conclusions in their quote dump. Can't be bothered to say the same thing over and over again on repeat. The only thing she did say of any value IMO was about my case on her and I addressed that. What part of her stuff is any good to you?

What words say very little? Very interested to hear this because as far as I'm concerned everything there is necessary so nice undermining to justify your case.

Oh hooray, I get to dissect a quote.

24 minutes ago, Wally Warbles said:

It's a town read on Briney and reasons why you're a null read.  Hardly padding.

You say sheeping isn't scummy, yet hold it as a point against Honeybottoms.  That first paragraph could've been reduced to the first sentence.  Also, you're awfully sure about that scum read.

Don't assume what I'm thinking.  I remember her cases just fine.

Why was this necessary?

The worst thing about this was that you vanished until D2.  If you're allowed to go poof for extended periods of time, why not everyone else?  Djimmi not coming back is unfortunate, but expecting someone to come back after a vote rings hollow, given what you did.

Biggest scumtell from you is that last passive-aggressive sentence in the first quote.  My vote is elsewhere.  Why would it bother you so that there's maybe one other person besides me that doesn't see you as town?

6 minutes ago, Grim Matchstick said:

Why would Cala Maria stop scumreading me based on a metaread as scum? There's no scum motivation here other than to get townie points from me specifically. Like, no one had an issue with their read on me from my memory and it's such a weird waffle. There's no reason for mafia to do this but it makes a ton of sense to come from town who are actually trying to solve the game.

This Hilda vote is the same way. I mean, Hilda is an "easy" target but the case is super weak and it shows the player is going out of their way to read past games. Does mafia go read a game from like 4 months ago to come up with a flimsy case on the newbie? Who does that?

I'm just gonna ignore werner's posts since it makes this game bearable okhandemoji

##Unvote

Rumor, you said you're better at establishing townreads than scumreads. Okay, great. Who are your strongest townreads? Who are you confident in saying "This person is definitely town, don't lynch them ever"? Who is in your pool of not-townreads that you are willing to lynch?

Flailing will do that.

And yes, I've referenced past games for cases before.

Are you somehow not scumreading either of Maria/Honeybottoms?