Nintendo Labo

Von Ithipathachai

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the coolest thing they would do with HD Rumble. But being better than 1-2 Switch isn't what I'd call a triumph. Cool idea for kids though. They can't do any of this on their mom's smartphone, lol. 

Also, looks like we solved the mystery of where Miyamoto's weird robot game went.

EA: Charges microtransactions 

Nintendo: Charges $70-80 for fucking cardboard.

Like, once someone posts the blueprints online, i can just go to Home Depot and make this myself for a much lower price.

And you probably don't even need the cardboard. The cardboard is just complicated ways to play the game.

This is mainly just for kids who don't know any better.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Looks like trash to me. I don't even really see any game here. Just a bunch of boring cardboard. Not interested.

What I thought at first was that each set was a different version of the game with the cardboard added as a peripheral.

Kind of like how Guitar Hero would come with the guitar controller.

That being said, I love the idea behind this, but I would still like to hear more about how it'll all work, ideally in the February Direct.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

EA: Charges microtransactions 

Nintendo: Charges $70-80 for fucking cardboard.

Like, once someone posts the blueprints online, i can just go to Home Depot and make this myself for a much lower price.

And you probably don't even need the cardboard. The cardboard is just complicated ways to play the game.

At least this'll give me something better to do with my hands than gamble.

Again, see the above.  Ideally a copy of the game plus the cardboard would cost that much.  But this might not be the case.  -_-

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

What I thought at first was that each set was a different version of the game with the cardboard added as a peripheral.

I still did not see anything that looked like a game to me. Just dumb cardboard shit that they're charging you an insane amount of money for. People would be dumb to dump $70 on cardboard!

Umm, is it suddenly April Fools' Day in Japan or something?

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I still did not see anything that looked like a game to me. Just dumb cardboard shit that they're charging you an insane amount of money for. People would be dumb to dump $70 on cardboard!

Presumably, the cardboard to help's you play the various games that are (presumably) included. You don't need to be  member of MENSA to work that one out. Also, people spend more than $70 on plastic versions of the Millennium Falcon, so spending $70 on a game with cardboard accessories is not all that bad in comparison.

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Presumably, the cardboard to help's you play the various games that are (presumably) included. You don't need to be  member of MENSA to work that one out. Also, people spend more than $70 on plastic versions of the Millennium Falcon, so spending $70 on a game with cardboard accessories is not all that bad in comparison.

Thing is, I hardly saw much of a game there, if there really is one. And yeah, there are a few dumb people that would spend a lot of money on dumb shit, but not a lot.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And yeah, there are a few dumb people that would spend a lot of money on dumb shit, but not a lot.

After seeing how much people will drop on orbs, would it surprise you to see people spend money on literally anything?

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

After seeing how much people will drop on orbs, would it surprise you to see people spend money on literally anything?

I did just say there are a few people. But not a lot.

So basically in a nutshell, those cardboards are suppose to be the ''controller'' for the games?

What's the point, I get the idea of motion controls but I though we were past that idea. Buttons on a controller do pretty much the same thing.

Seem like a dumb idea to get some money out of dumb people.

Not gonna lie, if I was a parent, I'd be checking out warranty info. Building things with kids is fun. Obviously when Legos still make millions.

But since I'm not a parent, this is just another weird nintendo thing I'll hear about today, make jokes about tomorrow, and watch group streaming channels play with in April. 

24 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Also, people spend more than $70 on plastic versions of the Millennium Falcon, so spending $70 on a game with cardboard accessories is not all that bad in comparison.

Difference between this and a plastic Millennium Falcon is that the latter tends to be detailed, collectors items. You can't really go into Home Depot and make one yourself. You can with the Nintendo Labo though (the accessories, not the game).

Actual footage of SpongeBob and Patrick explaining how the Labo works to Squidward.

VR technology has certainly come far nowadays. Who would have guessed that they started using cardboard? Guess Nintendo wanted to make a birthday present for Lucina after Azura got the Switch last year.

Idk if most of the people reacting over the internet (not only the forum) are aware that this game is intended for kids.

Personally I'm impressed (or shocked) at Nintendo's creativity. I love the concept and it is coherent with Nintendo's objective, but don't know if it will be successful with nowadays kids. The idea of making figures out of cardboard and playing mini games with parents seem like a cool and familiar plan to me, but I think $70 is too much.

I think it looked cool, not cool enough for me to buy it or even use it at a friends house but I'm sure the 8 years old me would've loved the shit out of this (and then cry because it is cardboard and my pets would've broken it in less than one day).

Just now, Alexmender said:

I think it looked cool, not cool enough for me to buy it or even use it at a friends house but I'm sure the 8 years old me would've loved the shit out of this (and then cry because it is cardboard and my pets would've broken it in less than one day).

Durability was another problem that eventually came to mind, combined with the fact that, when I think about it, I ultimately don't see myself getting a lot of play time out of this like I would, say, Shin Megami Tensei V.

19 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Sheesh.  Lots of negative reactions here.

I guess the part of me that likes building stuff really wants this to turn out well.  But maybe it's just one of those things that's better in theory than in practice.

The part of me that also really likes building things and wants to promote that same enthusiasm in younger audiences and the part of me that is a Switch fan also wants it to do well. It's just... there are definitely better options out there. Amazon has the robot Labo listed at $80. The trailer makes it seem like you need four joy cons. That's another $80 for the additional pair. That's $160 (assuming you already have a Switch) dropped on a cardboard toy that a child will probably beg their parents to build anyways and then disregard two weeks later. And that's the real kicker. Most kids don't have a real perception of the value of money, so they don't care if they really only see themselves using it for two weeks as long as it looks cool. But parents do, and if they just do an ounce of research into other DIY/building toys, I can't see them buying Labo.

The robot doesn't use 4 joy cons, it uses the IR camera in the back pack to read the movement of the strings controlling the limbs. I think this has potential to be a real breakout hit among kids. 

56 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Idk if most of the people reacting over the internet (not only the forum) are aware that this game is intended for kids.

I'm personally aware of that and the game is not my problem. Those cardboard controllers however seem nothing less than a trap. I'll admit that the robot backpack seem quite impressive.

But do I really need to remind you that the Switch has in build motion control? That there's a game called 1 2 Switch? Yes you probably can't do the the piano game with the controller but aside of that? This seem like an overuse of technology to me.

Unless this is here to promote something bigger, even then 70$ for cardboard when you can use the Switch controller for motion controls or even pressing the damn buttons. Customizing the cardboard seem to be only advantage of this.