Nintendo Labo

Von Ithipathachai

1 hour ago, Quintessence said:

Idk if most of the people reacting over the internet (not only the forum) are aware that this game is intended for kids.

Personally I'm impressed (or shocked) at Nintendo's creativity. I love the concept and it is coherent with Nintendo's objective, but don't know if it will be successful with nowadays kids. The idea of making figures out of cardboard and playing mini games with parents seem like a cool and familiar plan to me, but I think $70 is too much.

This pretty much. Though I personally wouldn't buy it (don't even have the switch), I thought the idea was pretty cool. It could make some really neat, immersive games. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Nym said:

I'm personally aware of that and the game is not my problem. Those cardboard controllers however seem nothing less than a trap. I'll admit that the robot backpack seem quite impressive.

But do I really need to remind you that the Switch has in build motion control? That there's a game called 1 2 Switch? Yes you probably can't do the the piano game with the controller but aside of that? This seem like an overuse of technology to me.

Unless this is here to promote something bigger, even then 70$ for cardboard when you can use the Switch controller for motion controls or even pressing the damn buttons. Customizing the cardboard seem to be only advantage of this.

It probably will serve as base for future concepts/projects, who knows. But Nintendo is definitely investing on quite a lot of stuff with the Switch's profits. After all, it's been its best console so far.

Not something I'll buy for myself but I can see this being quite popular among kids. I'll say kudos to Nintendo for coming up with such a novel idea.

For the record, you're not buying just cardboard, you're buying a game software and a full arts & crafts set with cardboard sheets and other materials, so the price is about right. (An arts & crafts set alone of that type can range anywhere from $10 to $30)

It’s sad to see so many people here not paying attention. The price is not for the cardboard, it’s for the software. The cardboard will be distributed for free.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-labo-kits-apparently-not-mandatory-cardboards-pattern-will-be-offered-for-free-cartridge-still-needed/

It is pretty innovative and amazing. Gotta give it to Nintendo, they are pretty creative. 
That being said, it is clearly meant for kids, yet I see so many people overhyping this then getting disappointed. What were they expecting? A new Smash? They clearly said “for kids”. Most people who say this is going to be a failure, either don’t have kids or don’t interact with them a lot, because this is the sort of thing kids love.

Add my name to the "why aren't people paying attention" questioners.

It's not just cardboard. It's the game with cardboard.

The video even outright shows new games we've never seen being played on the tablets, and that the cardboard cutouts would be folded into the optimal way to place the joy-cons and tablet to play the game. How are people missing this and assuming it's overpriced cardboard?

I'm not going crazy, right? I think this is a very interesting idea with the potential to work.

5 hours ago, Quintessence said:

Idk if most of the people reacting over the internet (not only the forum) are aware that this game is intended for kids.

Personally I'm impressed (or shocked) at Nintendo's creativity. I love the concept and it is coherent with Nintendo's objective, but don't know if it will be successful with nowadays kids. The idea of making figures out of cardboard and playing mini games with parents seem like a cool and familiar plan to me, but I think $70 is too much.

Actually, I looked at the video, there are some mechanics and strings appeared in the Variety Kit and the Robit Kit set. But, price is included with the software, I think the software could be 59.99 and the remaining price would be on the cardboard, the mechanics, and strings. And plus, the Variety Kit appeared to be having a walking robot and I don't know if the piano sound was used from the piano cardboard. I think the piano sound could might have came from the game for the Variety Kit.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I still did not see anything that looked like a game to me. Just dumb cardboard shit that they're charging you an insane amount of money for. People would be dumb to dump $70 on cardboard!

There's two software that comes with in the Variety Kit and Robot Kit game, they did have strings and mechanics in both of the Sets help out the functions of the Kit and I did seen the person was controlling a RC Cardboard unit from the Variety Kit from the Switch touch screen and it does have a machine under in the cardboard that connects the two Joycons. But, the two games were purposely made for kids and kids at heart since Kids do like to use Cardboards and Nintendo did tweet out about the announcement before Nintendo Labo was announced since many people thought this was suppose to be a Direct for Kids, but they didn't expected to be a 2 minute trailer.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, I looked at the video, there are some mechanics and strings be appeared in the Variety Kit and the Robit Kit set. But, price is included with the software, I think the software could be 59.99 and the remaining price would be on the cardboard, the mechanics, and strings. And plus, the Variety Kit appeared to be having a walking robot and I don't know if the piano sound was used from the piano cardboard. I think the piano sound could might have came from the game for the Variety Kit.

There's two software that comes with in the Variety Kit and Robot Kit game, they did have strings and mechanics in both of the Sets and I did seen the person was controlling a RC Cardboard unit from the Variety Kit from the Switch touch screen and it does have a machine under in the cardboard that connects the two Joycons. But, the two games were purposely made for kids and kids at heart since Nintendo did tweet out before Nintendo Labo was announced since many people thought this was suppose to be a Direct for Kids, but they didn't expected to be a 2 minute trailer.

I don't know what you're saying. I'm surprised you haven't improved your English at all. I can understand you sometimes, but not much. Sorry.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't know what you're saying. I'm surprised you haven't improved your English at all. I can understand you sometimes, but not much. Sorry.

Just re-watch the trailer, you should look and see it's not just cardboard that they're showing and it did make it to get the idea of use creativity for kids. It's similar to like Legos. And also, can you keep the discussion relevant about this game and not talking about English grammar please. I am trying working hard on my skills and it's not that easy as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Just re-watch the trailer, you should look and see it's not just cardboard that they're showing. And also, can you keep the discussion relevant about this game and not talking about English grammar please. I am trying working hard on my skills and it's not that easy as well.

I'm sorry, I can't help it if I couldn't understand you. What else was I supposed to say? And I'm not interested in this Labo, so I don't care to see the video again, honestly.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I'm sorry, I can't help it if I couldn't understand you. What else was I supposed to say? And I'm not interested in this Labo, so I don't care to see the video again, honestly.

Based on your "people are dumb to spend $70 on cardboard" post, you must have not paid attention when they showed gameplay on the actual tablets for new games we have never seen before that clearly looked like. (Yes, I know you said you're not interested in seeing the video again, but I guess someone has to if you plan to respond). You must have gotten lost at the technical jargon King Marth described, not the English.

It's $60 for the game, $10 for the cardboard. Not $70 for cardboard. And again, the video was advertised as being for kids and those who were "kids at heart" this morning.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nintendo: Charges $70-80 for fucking cardboard.

Like, once someone posts the blueprints online, i can just go to Home Depot and make this myself for a much lower price.

And you probably don't even need the cardboard. The cardboard is just complicated ways to play the game.

This is mainly just for kids who don't know any better.

Boy you're quite the picky one I must say.

Firstly, it comes bundled with the game which means that the cardboard comes around 10 or 15$ at best. Please do some research before blabbing out crap.

And here's your proof btw.

Secondly, its as you said, you don't need the cardboard to play the games but for kids who like this type of things, its good for them and for 10$ worth, why not?

Thirdly...stop. We all grew up as kids here so bashing at kids who don't know better is kinda like bashing at yourself for that matter.

Gotta agree with @Von Ithipathachai here. So much bashing here for no reason. Clearly Nintendo marketed it for kids solely. Is it really affecting your hardcore gaming on Switch in the long run?

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Firstly, it comes bundled with the game which means that the cardboard comes around 10 or 15$ at best. Please do some research before blabbing out crap.

Secondly, its as you said, you don't need the cardboard to play the games but for kids who like this type of things, its good for them and for 10$ worth, why not?

Thirdly...stop. We all grew up as kids here so bashing at kids who don't know better is kinda like bashing at yourself for that matter.

Gotta agree with @Von Ithipathachai here. So much bashing here for no reason. Clearly Nintendo marketed it for kids solely. Is it really affecting your hardcore gaming on Switch in the long run?

I love how you specifically quoted me.

If you wanted to actually prove a point, you could've just linked this article, which states that you can get the actual materials separately for free. What you linked to was just the customization kit, which is literally just the stickers and stuff. You tell me to do my research yet you linked to something that doesn't help your case.

The real question is, can i get the games separately, which i would imagine you can if you can just get the kits yourself.

Also, just because it's for kids doesn't excuse it from being criticized. Nothing is above criticism. Nintendo Labo makes a nice Christmas gift for kids, i'll admit. And the concept is fun. Most of my criticisms are resolved for now. As long as the game can be bought separately and i can get the materials for free, i'm cool with it.

(The games themselves don't look like $60 games though).

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

While it's true nintendo said it was for "kids", nintendo also said "kids at heart" so that easily could've been interpreted as something like pokemon which is also aimed at kids, but adults still enjoy. I think it would've been much better if they said "Completely separate to our other franchises, we're about to announce something intended with a strong focus on children in particular. Stay tuned!" as that would've caused less confusion and less people would've gotten their expectations up for more than this.

And while we're at it, where's that Fire Emblem switch game? Where's Metroid prime 4? Where's other expected games like Animal Crossing or Pokemon? In the past we've gotten a new main fire emblem announced each January on two occasions now, and it's a darn shame that nintendo is seemingly abandoning this opportunity for another one, and instead doing a mini direct and cardboard. Yes, I'm well aware that these announcements are very likely separate from when the game's will release, but I'd rather know about these things (and get updates on them) earlier than have a surprise announcement later, after a long period of not knowing what's up with each game and getting bored.

I'm very disappointed in Nintendo and besides e3, I probably won't be tuning in for another presentation/direct/ect... for a while.

1 minute ago, Dinar87 said:

While it's true nintendo said it was for "kids", nintendo also said "kids at heart" so that easily could've been interpreted as something like pokemon which is also aimed at kids, but adults still enjoy. I think it would've been much better if they said "Completely separate to our other franchises, we're about to announce something intended with a strong focus on children in particular. Stay tuned!" as that would've caused less confusion and less people would've gotten their expectations up for more than this.

And while we're at it, where's that Fire Emblem switch game? Where's Metroid prime 4? Where's other expected games like Animal Crossing or Pokemon? In the past we've gotten a new main fire emblem announced each January on two occasions now, and it's a darn shame that nintendo is seemingly abandoning this opportunity for another one, and instead doing a mini direct and cardboard. Yes, I'm well aware that these announcements are very likely separate from when the game's will release, but I'd rather know about these things (and get updates on them) earlier than have a surprise announcement later, after a long period of not knowing what's up with each game and getting bored.

I'm very disappointed in Nintendo and besides e3, I probably won't be tuning in for another presentation/direct/ect... for a while.

It was obvious that it wouldn’t be new game, because they would have outright said it. Also, it couldn’t be Pokemon for 2 reasons: 

First, Pokemon likes to do it’s own thing, separated from Nintendo and second, calling Pokemon, and Nintendo games, for kids, it’s sore subject from older Pokemon games. They would never risk pissing off long time fans by calling it something “for kids”. 

6 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Based on your "people are dumb to spend $70 on cardboard" post, you must have not paid attention when they showed gameplay on the actual tablets for new games we have never seen before that clearly looked like. (Yes, I know you said you're not interested in seeing the video again, but I guess someone has to if you plan to respond). You must have gotten lost at the technical jargon King Marth described, not the English.

It's $60 for the game, $10 for the cardboard. Not $70 for cardboard. And again, the video was advertised as being for kids and those who were "kids at heart" this morning.

I wasn't sure at all what I saw on the actual Switch screens. Couldn't tell if it was an actual game or some weird add-on. Either way, it does not look like something worth $60. Maybe $20.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

If you wanted to actually prove a point, you could've just linked this article, which states that you can get the actual materials separately for free. What you linked to was just the customization kit, which is literally just the stickers and stuff. You tell me to do my research yet you linked to something that doesn't help your case.

I was aware of that but I wasn't sure about that statement.

Anyways, if you look at the site carefully, you'll see that there's a cardboard for 10$. So it implies your previous point that you stated that its 70$ for a cardboard which is flat out wrong.

Is what you said which again is wrong.

Edited by Harvey

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Anyways, if you look at the site carefully, you'll see that there's a cardboard for 10$. So it implies your previous point that you stated that its 70$ for a cardboard which is flat out wrong.

Is what you said which again is wrong.

If you wanted to actually prove a point, you could've just linked this article, which states that you can get the actual materials separately for free.

As long as the game can be bought separately and i can get the materials for free, i'm cool with it.

In light of my new points, my previous points are completely irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As long as the game can be bought separately and i can get the materials for free, i'm cool with it.

So then by that logic, you're fine with buying the game for 70$? Because The cardboard comes bundled with the game and since the game is around 60$, why not pay extra 10$?

What's your point?

Just now, Harvey said:

So then by that logic, you're fine with buying the game for 70$? Because The cardboard comes bundled with the game and since the game is around 60$, why not pay extra 10$?

What's your point?

I literally just said

this article, which states that you can get the actual materials separately for free.

The materials can obtained for free. Buying the game and getting the materials for free is a cheaper option that i would be ok with (even if i feel that the games themselves shouldn't be $60). Learn to fucking read. I never said i was fine with the $70-80 price tag.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The materials can obtained for free. Buying the game and getting the materials for free is a cheaper option that i would be ok with (even if i feel that the games themselves shouldn't be $60). Learn to fucking read. I never said i was fine with the $70-80 price tag.

As of now, There is no source that says that you can by the game separately. You can get the cardboard for free but the game comes bundled with it as of now. So where's the source that says that you can buy the game separately and get the cardboard for free?

I don't know. To me, it doesn't make sense for getting the cardboard free if right now, only about 2 games support it. If you're buying the game, why not pay extra for the cardboard? 

3 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

...I don't get your perspective. You're swearing off directs because a MINI direct didn't give you what you wanted and you had expectations for a game for a presentation Nintendo has never done before and we had no idea what to expect from it?

Think what you want, but I urge you to not give up on normal directs just because you saw a game and cardboard and expected Pokemon.