Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

Florete

Talk about what you expect, what you want, etc.

I played the Wii U version (and most of its DLC) and really liked it, but was a little disappointed that Legends had a lot of extra content exclusive to an inferior console. I've been hoping for a while to get it all on home console, and that's exactly what's happening! Having skipped Legends completely, there will be a lot of new content for me, so I don't even really consider it re-buying the same game.

They've announced Breath of the Wild themed costumes for Link and Zelda, but nothing else new. I'm not expecting anything else, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did add more, either in the base game or as another set of DLC. If we do get more, it would almost certainly be from BotW. Personally, I'd like to see Urbosa and Revali added, though they would likely add all four champions. A new adventure map based on BotW could also be really good.

Lastly, this week's (1/17) Famitsu has a few pages on the game (http://nintendoeverything.com/scans-roundup-hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition-valkyria-chronicles-4-kirby-star-allies-more/). I don't know what any of it actually says, though. I haven't heard of anyone translating it yet.

The game releases on March 22 in Japan, so if there's any more info to know it shouldn't be long before we hear it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the Wii U version and the DLC, and was also disappointed that Legends got some exclusive content.

I never got around to "completing" Hyrule Warriors as I began to lose track of what level my guys had to be to do missions in the adventure maps. However, despite the Definitive Edition having more content, I'll probably pass and just focus on Fire Emblem Warriors as my game of choice instead. If there is some form of save transfer (so my progress from the Wii U is somehow transfered over to the new version), then maybe I will consider picking this up.

Thing is, there are plenty of other Switch titles I want to play since I'm just picking it up now. There's Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and I can even pick up Mario Kart 8 again (since I didn't get the DLC for that the first time around). I also really want to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which will be my next game after Fire Emblem Warriors. All these titles makes the likelihood of me picking up Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition rather low in the foreseeable future.

I'm going to pass on this. I bought the Wii U version with all the non-Legends DLC, never even finished all of Termina and TP, close, but still missing some costumes and plenty of the retro weapons. That 255 level cap was rather unnecessary and I will never hit it as well.

Warriors is a series I think I can oversaturate myself on very easily. Hence I choose to space out my purchases fairly widely, and will hold off until an actual HW2. Ideally with Oracle additions (Din, Nayru, Onyx and Veran could easily be turned into PCs), but that's if Capcom doesn't shoot that idea down.

want it to eventually come at a lower price tag, because I already bought the game on Wii U and feel completely burned.

I'd also like to see a diminished number of giant bosses, but I don't see that happening.

For a serious answer...  Honestly, I see myself more inclined to get DW9 than that game.  I'm sorry, but I just really didn't like the gimmicks TLoZ brought to Warriors.

I'm curious if the 3DS version's story scenarios will be incorporated. 

Among Wii U ports, I have the most to gain from this one in terms of content, but this is likely a pass for me. I played the game on Wii U and tore my hair out trying to unlock stuff from the base game's adventure mode. And the DLC packs add more maps? Not happening. Adventure mode just isn't interesting enough to warrant those hundreds of hours, even if I had the game on a portable. 

I'll likely get this at some point, but probably not right away. Having it all in one package is a great deal if you don't mind going through the story and such again. If they do add more content based on BotW, I hope it's already on the cartridge and not DLC, and I'd hope for Kass to be a playable character.

I'd love to see Groose, Revali, and Mipha added. But I don't really expect anything else unless it's more DLC too. I'm still gonna buy it though, because of all I missed out on that was exclusive to the 3DS version.

As someone who first bought Legends, then all the Legends DLC, then bought WiiU Warriors for my cousins for Christmas because they're crazy about LoZ, then went halfsies with them on the DLC so they'd have the content, then lost access to the 2DS Legends was downloaded on thanks to an unidentified issue with the LCD and had to go get it for a second system that I have because I liked the game enough to really want to keep playing, then had to go buy the DLC again for that system and decided to compound it with the WiiU pack so my cousins could enjoy Ravio, Yuga, etc. as well, and haven't found time to set money aside for a Switch yet, hopefully it's understandable why I'm passing this up - I've already let myself sink way too much money into this game.

Edited by SoulWeaver

I've never played Hyrule Warriors but at this point, i don't really want to. There's just so many other Switch games that i'm more interested in, including Fire Emblem Warriors, since i hear it's a great improvement over HW's gameplay.

I'm honestly super excited. I never got the chance to play it on the Wii U and after hearing people say how much they disliked it on the 3DS (And I only had an old 3DS XL and I wasn't going to shill out for a new console for one game), I'm really excited.

Having seen how much content the games have, and how it is going to all be in one game is really exciting. Also FEW also has piqued my interest in the Warriors series so yeah.

I do hope they add more, like maybe Urbosa and Revali (With giving Darunia and Ruto costumes to rep Daruk and Mipha) or even anyone just to give the roster a 30th character so the number is even. I also hope they add some costumes for the Legends DLC characters since from what I have seen, they don't have any costumes, not even Medli who was free DLC. I also hope they add some innovations from FEW like performance mode.

But yeah, overall I'm super excited.

Here's the official site BTW.

Edited by Azz

As much I enjoy Hyrule Warriors, I seriously doubt I'll ever get this game. Unless I can somehow transfer my memory from Wii U & I'm not going to grind all my characters to lvl 255 again. I really rather spend that kind of time on Fire Emblem Warriors. Talk about ironic.

29 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So March 22 is the release date? Is that just for Japan or is it for everyone?

It has only been confirmed for Japan and according to the HW Reddit, China too. I don't think we should expect a worldwide release since while HW is a big game, I wouldn't consider it a major release for the Switch, though it could be possible. If it isn't a worldwide release I say it would only be a month for the international release since they have most of the English assets anyways from the Wii U and 3DS versions.

Just now, Azz said:

It has only been confirmed for Japan and according to the HW Reddit, China too. I don't think we should expect a worldwide release since while HW is a big game, I wouldn't consider it a major release for the Switch, though it could be possible. If it isn't a worldwide release I say it would only be a month for the international release since they have most of the English assets anyways from the Wii U and 3DS versions.

Yeah, I figured as much. I hope we get it in late April or very early May so I can ask for it for my birthday. Release it before May 5th plz, Nintendo!

15 hours ago, Armagon said:

I've never played Hyrule Warriors but at this point, i don't really want to. There's just so many other Switch games that i'm more interested in, including Fire Emblem Warriors, since i hear it's a great improvement over HW's gameplay.

I wouldn't call HW bad, and if you like Zelda, the game is quite enjoyable, all the characters having fun movesets.

Admittedly, the giant bosses are a pace-breaker and they're never really hard- just defend/dodge and wait for them to expose their spot and then use the appropriate item. Likewise, the use of items to move forward or reveal rewards on the various adventure maps sometimes pads out the maps by forcing you to grind for additional Compasses, Bombs and the ilk. Being able to only heal Officers when their HP falls below half and typically being not so useful as allies hurts too. When it comes to dealing damage to enemy Officers, unless you're sufficiently leveled and or have a strong weapon or of the right element for a given situation, Officers take too little damage I'd say, and you rely on waiting for chances to Weak Point Smash them.

That should get most of the criticisms out of the way. The WPSes, the Giant Bosses, the item use on the Adventure Maps- all little nods to the Zelda franchise, so they were meant in good faith. FEW being based on a Strategy RPG series integrates more elements of strategy, and if it does improve on HW's gameplay (I don't have it so I can't say), good for it. I wouldn't wholly pass up HW, but I get it that you'd have priorities, better that than poor or faced with a glut you can't reasonably get through at the moment and hence there was no rush to buy in the first place.

So a preview trailer was released:

Spoiler

Also the info from Famitsu was translated and you can see what it said here.

It doesn't say anything exciting other than what we know like all 29 characters are gonna be playable along with character switching, My Fairy being 3D etc.

Though Challenge Mode (Where you played as Ganon and the giant Cucco) has been confirmed to be coming back though that was also pretty obvious really.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't call HW bad, and if you like Zelda, the game is quite enjoyable, all the characters having fun movesets.

That's highly debatable considering HW has quite a number of movesets that long time Warriors vets like myself would put in their "worst and least fun Warriors movesets of all time" I'd say about 70% of the movesets are fun.

The game is good though that's agreeable.

Edited by Jedi

58 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That's highly debatable considering HW has quite a number of movesets that long time Warriors vets like myself would put in their "worst and least fun Warriors movesets of all time" I'd say about 70% of the movesets are fun.

Shouldn't have said all then- absolutes are bound to lead to getting shot at, I should know better and never use them (and that is the one time you should).

Admittedly I had in the back of my mind the badness of Fi when writing that, and the Great Fairy is even worse, just totally optional the vast majority of the time since Link has so many better choices. Then I have my distaste for the Rapier as grossly underpowered, there is the RNG element of the Summoning Gate, and Zelda's and Lana's other options each being problematic in their own way. I wish the ability to update the game allowed the developers to boost these movesets and others (I heard Tetra is also underpowered), a bit, since they did that with Zant and the Great Swords. But those were mostly just invincibility frame and dodge canceling modifications, and the above movesets need more than that. Rapier needs either to double up on the single target effectiveness without light orbs, or have much more/quicker crowd clearing with them, or both. Fi needs, I don't know, maybe sword lasers on every attack after using the C1? Summoning Gate should rotate the summons in a fixed order to make it more predictable.

I know that even mainline Warriors has had some duds and underpowered characters- Gracia, and that Throwing Knife moveset in DW7, and Sangzhang (that shirt sleeves girl in WO3) being instances from what I can tell. But I'm not even going to pretend to have any real idea of the ratio of good to bad in the mainline.

Whoops and I forgot. The Cucco is back? Ganon was okay, repetitive and they shouldn't have had leveling in that mode (since it just pads it out), but the Cucco is an atrocity of clucking and button mashing with a weakling. They best fix it or deny it any role in 100% the game, otherwise some people will have some unpleasant stuff to do on hand.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shouldn't have said all then- absolutes are bound to lead to getting shot at, I should know better and never use them (and that is the one time you should).

Admittedly I had in the back of my mind the badness of Fi when writing that, and the Great Fairy is even worse, just totally optional the vast majority of the time since Link has so many better choices. Then I have my distaste for the Rapier as grossly underpowered, there is the RNG element of the Summoning Gate, and Zelda's and Lana's other options each being problematic in their own way. I wish the ability to update the game allowed the developers to boost these movesets and others (I heard Tetra is also underpowered), a bit, since they did that with Zant and the Great Swords. But those were mostly just invincibility frame and dodge canceling modifications, and the above movesets need more than that. Rapier needs either to double up on the single target effectiveness without light orbs, or have much more/quicker crowd clearing with them, or both. Fi needs, I don't know, maybe sword lasers on every attack after using the C1? Summoning Gate should rotate the summons in a fixed order to make it more predictable.

I know that even mainline Warriors has had some duds and underpowered characters- Gracia, and that Throwing Knife moveset in DW7, and Sangzhang (that shirt sleeves girl in WO3) being instances from what I can tell. But I'm not even going to pretend to have any real idea of the ratio of good to bad in the mainline.

Whoops and I forgot. The Cucco is back? Ganon was okay, repetitive and they shouldn't have had leveling in that mode (since it just pads it out), but the Cucco is an atrocity of clucking and button mashing with a weakling. They best fix it or deny it any role in 100% the game, otherwise some people will have some unpleasant stuff to do on hand.

Fi is actually considered a good moveset, it's more Agatha, Ghra, The Baton, Ruto. As the standout poor ones. 

Theres debate on Links movesets besides his default too and the Deku Stick of course is rather infamous.

i may have overstated but, yeah the mainline games tend to have some odd weapon moveset choices but usually the ratio is really lobsided to the fun side.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Fi is actually considered a good moveset, it's more Agatha, Ghra, The Baton, Ruto. As the standout poor ones. 

Theres debate on Links movesets besides his default too and the Deku Stick of course is rather infamous.

i may have overstated but, yeah the mainline games tend to have some odd weapon moveset choices but usually the ratio is really lobsided to the fun side.

I don't think I've ever heard of Fi's moveset being considered good. Who is Ghra?

1 hour ago, Florete said:

I don't think I've ever heard of Fi's moveset being considered good. Who is Ghra?

ghirahim, Fi's moveset is one of the better horde clearers in the game she just sucks vs bosses, but Legends fixes that with the ability to switch characters.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

it's more Agatha, Ghra, The Baton, Ruto. As the standout poor ones. 

I rarely heard of Ghirahim doing poorly. Ruto, the Baton and Agatha, yes to all of them being bad. But on a hypothetical tier list, well for the Wii U original, even after a bunch of updates Ghirahim was Upper Mid on GFAQs. His C5 has crowd clearing, it isn't the best, but it's very serviceable- better than non-Legends Fi's Officer and Giant Boss WPSing was for sure. The C2 is for juggling/Officer WPSing. A C1-C3 puts the hurt on lone officers. A C4 dodge canceled after the spikes appear is good for Giant Boss WPS. And C1 dagger spam deals okay chip for what little that is worth. Did Legends somehow nerf him?

I can see how character swapping would permit singularly flawed characters to be less bad, but if there are any solo challenges those flaws would still sting. Furthermore, being able to do everything well is still better, in worthless theory at least, than not being able to. 

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

ghirahim, Fi's moveset is one of the better horde clearers in the game she just sucks vs bosses, but Legends fixes that with the ability to switch characters.

So, Baton and Ruto I can agree with, but Ghirahim is typically considered one of the best in the game once you learn him and Fi is not very good at anything. Horde clearing is her best attribute, but even there she's average at best, and from what I've seen that's the general consensus on her, too.

I personally don't think Agitha is bad,  just has a unique playstyle and a learning curve, but not many people agree there.