FE Characters As Monsters

Hero_Lucina

I know this sounds weird but I'm writing a Monster Emblem Au where everyone minus Anthony and an oc are monsters and I wanted some feedback

Monsters I have

Spoiler

Vampire: Berkut, Rinea, Alm

Werewolf: Legion, Lyn 

Succubus: Sonya, Camilla

Incubus: Leon 

Demon: Rein, Olwen

Harpy: Henry (crows) Lukas (freedom plus someone on amino suggested it)

Medusa: Python

Weresheep: Genny (I had to)

Fairy/Fae: Faye (get it?)

I'm doing all FE games (not every character tho. I'm already doing 288 or so fantrolls for Homestuck please spare me mercy)

It's a cool idea. Can't say I have the time to think about this extensively at the moment. Also, what do you mean by "Au"?

My randomized Sacred Stones runs have solidified my perception of some units as very specific monsters. That being said, the only one I take issue with is werewolf Lyn. If Lyn is gonna be a monster she has to be a bit more elegant. Maybe the Kitsune from Fates would be a better fit. Also, wait, you said 288 fantrolls? I hope you are getting commissioned for that amount of content.

Kyle.png

Edited by NPR
meh, typo

8 hours ago, NPR said:

My randomized Sacred Stones runs have solidified my perception of some units as very specific monsters. That being said, the only one I take issue with is werewolf Lyn. If Lyn is gonna be a monster she has to be a bit more elegant. Maybe the Kitsune from Fates would be a better fit. Also, wait, you said 288 fantrolls? I hope you are getting commissioned for that amount of content.

Kyle.png

No I am not. The Extended Zodiac is a thing so

Interesting idea. Just to be clear, are they monsters, or just fantasy/folkloric creatures? For instance, the Minotaur is a monster, but a Fae is really a creature. Monster implies malevolence.

I have a few ideas you can add if you want: 

Dullahan (an Irish Headless Horseman): Camus, Eldigan, Ares

Elf: Shinon

Dark Elf: General Petrine

Would it be funny, or just uncreative if I also jokingly suggested: Dragon: any manakete?

By the way: you listed: Fairy/Fae: Faye. What exactly do you mean? Fairy typically is used to refer to the tiny butterfly-winged creatures created by the Victorian English, while Fae is usually used to refer to the fairies from Celtic Folklore, which are very different creatures. Which type of fairy are you referring to?

Edited by vanguard333

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting idea. Just to be clear, are they monsters, or just fantasy/folkloric creatures? For instance, the Minotaur is a monster, but a Fae is really a creature. Monster implies malevolence.

I have a few ideas you can add if you want: 

Dullahan (an Irish Headless Horseman): Camus, Eldigan, Ares

Elf: Shinon

Dark Elf: General Petrine

Would it be funny, or just uncreative if I also jokingly suggested: Dragon: any manakete?

By the way: you listed: Fairy/Fae: Faye. What exactly do you mean? Fairy typically is used to refer to the tiny butterfly-winged creatures created by the Victorian English, while Fae is usually used to refer to the fairies from Celtic Folklore, which are very different creatures. Which type of fairy are you referring to?

I thought Faes/Fairies were the same thing. 

It's creatures in general, but I said monster emblem to sound cooler

3 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

I thought Faes/Fairies were the same thing. 

It's creatures in general, but I said monster emblem to sound cooler

Okay. Well, fairies and fae can be the same thing; there are two types of fairies. Fae can refer to one, but not the other. Which type of fairy were you referring to?

57 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

I can't tell the difference

There are two types of fairy:

1. The tiny butterfly-winged creature created by the Victorian English, and popularized by characters like Tinkerbell and others. 

2. The fairies of Celtic Folklore: they are vulnerable to iron, live in Otherworld, are often humanoid in shape and size, and are very skilled at magic; especially glamour: a type of illusion magic present in Celtic Folklore. In the folklore, they were creatures to be respected, and creatures to be feared. When fantasy worlds identify a creature using names like Fae, Faye, or Faerie, this is what they are usually referring to. The Faerie Queen Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream is this type of fairy. The Lady of the Lake in Arthurian Legend is also commonly written as this type of fairy. Have you ever heard of the fairy rings and fairy mounds in Great Britain and Ireland? Well, one can guess which type of fairy the name is referring to. 

Given your confusion, I'm guessing you're thinking of the fairy type (1). It's a common mistake. Only in more recent fantasy media is there starting to be more characters based on the faeries of Celtic Mythology, rather than the little butterfly-winged creatures that I, as someone quite fascinated by Celtic Folklore, wish the Victorian English had never referred to as fairies.