Your New 3 and 4 star units wishlist

Zapp Branniglenn

This is a fun thread where people post a wishlist of things they want or expect out of a theoretical update that adds numerous 3 and 4 star units to the game.  I've noticed this idea come up a lot of times over the last few months in multiple different topics. So instead of facing harsh reality, let's get it out of our system by hashing out some cool ideas eh?

The Character choices

Spoiler

We all want to see as many old faces as possible from the Fire Emblem pantheon. One thing that makes new character additions exhaustive is the focus on important characters. We knew the the FE4 banner would include Sigurd, Deirdre, and Ayra. We knew the Radiant Dawn Banner would include Micaiah and Sothe. We know the FE5 banner will have Leif and Nanna. Because New Heroes don't grow on trees and are becoming less and less frequent, it makes character selection feel more grandiose and stressful than it should be. So in this hypothetical update that surprises us with dozens of 3 and 4 star units, I'd devote my picks to B and C tier popularity units that people wouldn't spend a ton of orbs on to begin with.

• The Kaga games
    • I don't have enough opinions on the FE3-5 roster to point out specific names, but it's worth noting that these games have large casts comprised mostly of units I can't imagine many people would dump tons of orbs for. Not a knock on the games' quality, just an observation. This may change the moment we get an announcement of an FE4 remake, but until then, all of these guys seem fair game unless they own personal weapons or belong to obscure classes.
  • Elibe
    • Any of the Nomads: Sue, Shin, Rath, even Dayan. Brave Lyn is a cool shoutout to this class, but I want the real thing, so long as they're not as min-maxed as Brave Lyn.
    • Shanna's sisters, Thea and Juno: I feel like she's earned it after that Voting Gauntlet victory. Gwendolyn, Florina, they can wait.
    • Refresher units: This is tough since Lalum, Elfin, and Nils don't fight. We've seen what they're willing to spoil when it comes to Ninian, but the other two are just gonna have to pick up daggers or something. It's pretty criminal that 5 out of 8 dancers are seasonal units. The truth is, refresh units being incredibly popular and important to the story is pretty new, with the one exception of Ninian. So these guys ought to be more accessible.
  • Sacred Stones
    • Put in everybody we're missing please  Neimi and Colm seem appropriate for low rarity units. As well as Gerik's mercenary crew. Really anybody that's not employed by one of the royal families or themselves are royal. This is a small cast, so it's hard to argue any of them would have few people spending tons of orbs since all players have personally used at least half in each playthrough.
  • Tellius
    • Kieran: The missing christmas knight counterpart to Oscar, and a vital addition to the still embarrassing pool of axe cavalry.
    • Any Laguz units: This is a can of worms since we all have wild opinions of how to incorporate Laguz and transformation units. But if we did get Laguz, I don't want them to stop at Ranulf, Lethe, and some Royals, get in as many as you can. Yes, even the eyes and ears duo.
  • Awakening and Fates
    • Despite the oversaturation of dumb costumes, I think it's unfortunate that real additions from these casts have been so incredibly sparse. Naturally very few of them can be pointed to as being unpopular, but since so much of the 3-4 star pool come from these games already, they wouldn't seem out of place.

The skill distribution.

Spoiler
  • A skill variety: Fury, Life and Death 2, and Death/Darting Blow skills are all competitively viable skills, but I often feel railroaded into one of those three with my budget builds. And I notice a lot of 5 star locked A skills don't appear to be firing up the metagame as readily as Distant/Close Counter, Steady Breath, etc. So here are some 5 star locked A skills I think would promote more build variety.
    • Warding and Steady Stance. 
    • Fire and Wind Boost: I like skills that reward a unit for their high HP pools. Since most old units tend to have more health than newer units. 
    • More of the multi-stat increases. These still aren't great, but if I had an abundance of them, I'd certainly consider it. I'd especially hope for HP/Def+ and HP/Res+
  • Quick Riposte. I'm indifferent on whether we really need QR3 available from a common unit. It's just extra arena score. But what I want most is just to have it on another common unit in general. My overuse of Subaki has made me develop an addiction to Swap, which accompanies QR 1 and 2 every time.
  • Any skills that are available as seals (but probably not the ones that stack): I'm not saying Heavy Draw, Quick Riposte 3, and Guidance are balanced enough that anybody should have them, but the developers sure did. I only object to skills that stack with their seals. It would be pretty ridiculous if just anybody could stack Distant and Close Defense, for instance. I'm also interested in distribution of Hardy Bearing, Phantom Speed, and any of the Deflect _____ skill line. Because as more seals get added, a character's seal slot choice becomes more and more integral and I don't want these seal-exclusive skills to fall into obscurity since they're competing with so many other great options.

The distribution of new 3 and 4 star units

Spoiler

I'm intrigued by the currently running 4 star focus banner. And since a lot of my character picks are units that players probably wouldn't spend all their orbs for, I'd release them in those sorts of banners. I wouldn't want people to feel cheated if the focus units they spent orbs for surprisingly got added to the 3 and 4 star pools. I'd also consider some of them for the Daily Hero Battle rotation where you earn 1 and 2 star versions of heroes. Remember those?

Let's say for the purpose of this idea that we have twelve new 4* units added together, in the exact same way the current banner. It's obviously too much work to do on a regular basis, but would be something to do on an annual or semi-annual basis, such as on the anniversary. I give myself these restrictions:

- Three units of each colour and enforce some type variety (and for grey, just one of each weapon type)
- No unusual type combinations like mounted archers or Laguz since they (at least initially) can be considered "premium" units even if not individually popular as a character
- Six guys, six girls
- Facial hair a significant plus
- One javelin and one hand axe user since it's a current hot topic

Red
Isadora - We have female cavaliers for both lances and axes, but no swords, time to rectify that
Fiora - To complete Roy's family, and red fliers sans seasonals are still very lacking
Miriel - I'd prefer she be on a horse and that'd probably mean a regular banner instead, not sure about this

Blue
Tauroneo - Obvious reasons
Vaida - Javelin!
Lugh - Because Raigh is red and Nino is green.

Green
Rinkah - Hand Axe!
Kieran - I don't actually know who he is, but you make a persuasive argument Glenn.
Ricken - To balance out the lolis :P

Grey
Neimi - To be honest I was just looking for a female archer to balance out this list
Julian - Don't know much about him but was heavily featured in the anime so he must be worthwhile right? Right?
Moulder - Obvious reasons

Yes, FE4-5 are obviously missing and the Archanea games only have one token representative. I know next to nothing about those games unfortunately.

If they make (I do not know how expensive ito make a untis is) unitis that are 4* at release, think they will mostly use untis that are unpopular ones that people would not cash orbs for (like the "anti-Ayras). In the spoilers are the people i think they are going to release a 4* or at least lower to that rarity later.

Spoiler

The Kaga games

I am kinda interested in new units from Archanea has a lot of potential. There are a lot of units without much and some (like Draug and Barst) were sort of built from the ground up.

FE4 GEN 1 or the "paired" children probably won't have any 3-4* (Arden was one of the most unpopular and he became a TT reward). The replacement children kinda scream 3* tough. Thracia 776 has a lot of "not very important units" and I think the most probable next 3* dancer.

Elibe

Rath is too cool to make 3-4 star and Thea. I can see one of the FE6 nomads going 3* tough (my bet is on Shin. Outside of nomads, we could get the Knight trio, Oujay, Dieck's band, Saul.... the list is long.

FE 7 is a very popular game with a smaller roster. I think Lyn's legion is  the most probable (hello Kent, Wallace). I think all dancer are two popular.

Sacred Stones

Put in everybody we're missing please  Neimi and Colm seem appropriate for low rarity units. As well as Gerik's mercenary crew. Really anybody that's not employed by one of the royal families or themselves are royal. This is a small cast, so it's hard to argue any of them would have few people spending tons of orbs since all players have personally used at least half in each playthrough.

Tellius

I am not sure we can get a 3 * POR character at all (Brom, Malkov, Danved maybe?). The new non-essencial uintis in RD have a better chance (Laura/Aran, the cat laguz nobody bothers to remember...). Kieran will probable have the same rarity as Oscar. I would LOVE Leanne (but she pretty much 5* only)

Awakening and Fates

Kellam, Vaike are the most likely to be 4* or 3* (I wonder if people would try to summon a 5* Kellam). As for the children, Inigo/Owain/Severa will likely be more rare than their counterparts.  Fartes has almost all adults (the ones missing are not very popular, except Flora). Children might get a pass.

As for skills, they probably will get 4* skills that were 5* but got out of meta; like the boost skills you mentioned. Hard Bearing is another candidate, since it is so situational.

I'd like them to release ones people just won't care about.

I mean, the Sable Knights would be cool to see, and I'm sure Camus would be glad to see them. They're barely remembered in the game, so I doubt many would pull for them.

Kein, Robert and Alva from Thracia. These guys don't even get a line in their original game. It's so sad. I'd love to see more about them but, again, they're not the most memorable since they don't even speak -.-

I can't argue with adding the likes of Moulder to the pack, either. Really, would anyone pull for him unless he had the most amazingly powercrept skills in the world?

But yeah, I'd expect/want characters along those lines - the ones that really don't have a chance of getting into the game otherwise.

@Humanoid I adore Rinkah and would love to have her in, but I really want her wielding a club. It just wouldn't feel right to me if she didn't have a club. Of course with no hit or critical rate in this game the question then is, what would separate clubs from axes? They had lower might but higher critical and accuracy. What type of weapon in this game generally has lowered mt but deals more damage in specific instances? Anti-unit weapons, death blow, fierce stance, I am probably forgetting some. Anti-armor is handled by hammers, but clubs could always come with low mt and anti-infantry. Or just have built in death blow. It was a critical skill in fates after all. So 10-12mt and +6 when initiating.

I am going off topic.

-Rinkah is a good solid 4 star pick I think.
-Another non-5* dancer would be nice. Tethys or Phina could fit that. Though something would have be done to differentiate from Swordlivia.
-Given that the base Corrins and Robins are all available outside of 5*'s(though female Robin is GHB only) perhaps we could get a pair of Kris's from New Mystery of the Emblem to finish rounding out our Avatar collection. We currently have red sword/blue breath/blue tome/green tome avatars. So we could easily have Male Kris as an axe wielder and Female Kris a lance user(Pegasus knight maybe?). That would put each in one of the gender exclusives without pumping out even more swords. Though I am not sure if another lance Pegasus would be a whole lot better. What ground has yet to be covered for such a unit?

Well that is what comes to mind at the moment.

I tried limiting each game to 7 units, but those with prequels/sequels got 14. Some characters, such as Leif, are excluded for suspected 5-star exclusivity or other reasons.

Marth land: Julian (infantry dagger), Lena (infantry healer), Castor (infantry bow), Hardin (mounted lance), Wolf (mounted bow), Matthis (mounted lance), Tomas (infantry bow), Cecil (mounted sword), Ryan (infantry bow), Marisha (infantry healer), Phina (infantry red dancer), Arlen (infantry blue magic), Dice (infantry axe), Malice (infantry sword)

Valentia: Kliff (infantry red magic), Silque (infantry healer), Forsyth (armored lance), Python (infantry bow), Valbar (armored lance), Kamui (infantry sword), Conrad (mounted lance)

Jugdral: Azelle (infantry red magic), Lex (mounted axe), Erinys (flyer lance), Fee (flyer lance), Arthur (infantry blue magic), Oifey (mounted sword), Altena (flyer lance), Finn (mounted lance), Nanna (mounted healer), Dagdar (infantry axe), Tanya (infantry bow), Asbel (infantry green magic), Mareeta (infantry sword), Salem (infantry red magic)

Elibe: Wolt (infantry bow), Lugh (infantry blue magic), Rutger (infantry sword) Sue (mounted bow), Thea (flyer lance), Melady (flyer lance), Percival (mounted lance), Sain (mounted lance), Kent (mounted sword), Wil (infantry bow), Canas (infantry red magic), Fiora (flyer lance), Heath (flyer lance), Farina (flyer lance)

Magvel: Franz (mounted sword), Gilliam (armor lance), Natasha (infantry healer), Gerik (infantry sword), Cormag (flyer lance), Myrrh (green dragon), L'Arachel (mounted healer)

Tellius: Boyd (infantry axe), Shinon (infantry bow), Gatrie (armor lance), Geoffrey (mounted lance), Brom (armor axe), Jill (flyer axe), Kieran (mounted axe), Edward (infantry sword), Leonardo (infantry bow), Nolan (infantry axe), Laura (infantry healer), Aran (infantry lance), Pelleas (infantry red magic), Meg (armor sword)

Awakening: Sumia (flyer lance), Miriel (infantry red magic), Maribelle (mounted healer), Gregor (infantry sword), Libra (infantry axe), Noire (mounted bow), Basilio (infantry axe)

Fates: Kaze (infantry dagger), Flora (infantry dagger), Scarlet (flyer axe), Rinkah (infantry axe), Orochi (infantry green magic), Benny (armor lance), Charlotte (infantry axe)

My Brom bias wants him to be 5-star but I know realistically that likely won't happen.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I'd wish for characters that are not banner material. Characters that we wouldn't get any other way. 

That excludes such mentionned characters above such as Julian, Hardin, Finn, Mareeta, Rutger, Gerik, Cormag, Myrrh, Greil mercenaries, Jill, Pelleas, Sumia, Maribelle, Kaze, Charlotte and dancers. These will eventually make the game probably in the next year.

Everyone else mentionned is a good idea in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Usana said:

@Humanoid I adore Rinkah and would love to have her in, but I really want her wielding a club. It just wouldn't feel right to me if she didn't have a club. Of course with no hit or critical rate in this game the question then is, what would separate clubs from axes? They had lower might but higher critical and accuracy. What type of weapon in this game generally has lowered mt but deals more damage in specific instances? Anti-unit weapons, death blow, fierce stance, I am probably forgetting some. Anti-armor is handled by hammers, but clubs could always come with low mt and anti-infantry. Or just have built in death blow. It was a critical skill in fates after all. So 10-12mt and +6 when initiating.

I am going off topic.

-Rinkah is a good solid 4 star pick I think.
-Another non-5* dancer would be nice. Tethys or Phina could fit that. Though something would have be done to differentiate from Swordlivia.
-Given that the base Corrins and Robins are all available outside of 5*'s(though female Robin is GHB only) perhaps we could get a pair of Kris's from New Mystery of the Emblem to finish rounding out our Avatar collection. We currently have red sword/blue breath/blue tome/green tome avatars. So we could easily have Male Kris as an axe wielder and Female Kris a lance user(Pegasus knight maybe?). That would put each in one of the gender exclusives without pumping out even more swords. Though I am not sure if another lance Pegasus would be a whole lot better. What ground has yet to be covered for such a unit?

Well that is what comes to mind at the moment.

IIRC, archers were pretty popular in that game outside the hardest settings where everyone went either fighter or knight, so one could be an infantry archer or mounted archer. If they go mounted archer, maybe give them like Palla's stat spread, so like 30/30 offensive stats to prevent another Brave Lyn situation.

Anyway, for me oh-ho are there so many. I really like a lot of the more obscure characters for whatever reason. Formatting got screwed up so all the spoilers for each world are nested and I'm too lazy to fix it.

Archanea:

• Cecil
  • Arran
  • Feena
  • Bantu - The old codger needs some love
  • Etzel
  • Ellerean
  • Horace
  • Xane - Wouldn't mind a name change though. I preferred Chainy so much.
  • Astram
  • Samson
  • Sedegar
  • Wolf
  • Not evil Hardan
  • Ymir

Valm:

• Kliff
  • Better art for Clair - I love her in Echoes, but I can't stand her art in Heroes.
  • Python
  • Mycen
  • Kamui
  • Atlas
  • Jesse
  • Nomah

Jugdral:

• Azel
  • Lex
  • Finn - Could see him being 5* if he's in a Thracia banner.
  • Jamke
  • Holyn
  • Beowulf
  • OIFAYE!
  • Delmud
  • Tinny
  • Linda
  • Really all the replacement characters
  • Halvan
  • Evayle - Might be 5*
  • Dagda
  • Marty
  • Lifis
  • Machua
  • Brighton
  • Fergus
  • Hicks
  • Carrion
  • Alva
  • Fred
  • Pahn
  • Dean - He'd probably end up being 5* though
  • Eyrios
  • Misha
  • Shanam - I'd die for Shannan (and Marricle) but he's almost certainly going to be 5* if he ever shows up.
  • Xavier
  • Amalda
  • Conomore
  • Kempf - I could see him ending up a GHB though.
  • Mahnya

Elible:

• Marcus - Preferable young, but would take either.
  • Alance
  • Merlinus - Make him a support character that lets units take a turn to swap one of their skills during combat.
  • Dieck
  • Lot
  • Lugh
  • Dorothy
  • Sue - The low strength would probably keep her from being OP, but could see her being 5*
  • Zealot
  • Gonzales!
  • Geese - That hair
  • Tate
  • Lalum
  • Echidna
  • PERCIVAL! - On one hand, I want him to be as broken as possible so I'd want him to be 5*, but on the other hand, I want to actually have a decent shot at him.
  • Igrayne
  • Garret
  • Douglas
  • Hugh
  • Niime
  • Juno
  • Old Karel
  • Kent
  • Sain
  • Better art for Florina <_<
  • Wallace
  • Lowen
  • Better art for Rebecca
  • Oswin!
  • Canas
  • Dart
  • Isadora
  • Fiora
  • Legault
  • Louise - I can't imagine Pent not being 5*
  • Geitz
  • Harken
  • Vaida
  • Leila - I was so disappointed when I found out she wasn't recruitable the first time I played FE7
  • Farina

Tellius:

• Boyd
  • Rhys
  • Shinon - Could see him being 5* with a CC bow though.
  • Gatrie
  • Marcia
  • Assassin Volke
  • Keiran!
  • Brom
  • Any of the not as popular Laguz, say Mordecai, Maurim, Lyre, and Kyza - Left out the rest of the Laguz because I'd be surprised if they weren't 5*
  • A special mention for Lotz - Wished he was playable too.
  • Zihark - Though I kind of want him to be 5* and powercreep Mia just to tick off all the Mia lovers :P
  • PoR Sothe
  • Astrid
  • Makalov
  • Devdan
  • Danved
  • Nadved
  • Tanith & Sigrun - Could very possibly see them being 5* though, but more sword peggies would be nice.
  • Tauroneo - Might be 5*
  • Haar - Could very possibly see 5*
  • Calill
  • Bastian - Only one of Elincia's retainers that seems likely for non-5*
  • Largo
  • Edward
  • Nolan
  • Laura
  • Aran
  • Meg
  • Heather
  • Tormod

Awakening because I'm blanking on the continent's name:

• Sumia
  • Gregor
  • Basilio
  • Flavia
  • Priam
  • F!Morgan - Never much liked M!Morgan for some reason.
  • Cynthia

Fates:

• Kaze
  • Silas
  • Scarlet
  • Sophie
  • Midori
  • Selkie
  • Velouria
Edited by bottlegnomes

10 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I'd wish for characters that are not banner material. Characters that we wouldn't get any other way. 

That excludes such mentionned characters above such as Julian, Hardin, Finn, Mareeta, Rutger, Gerik, Cormag, Myrrh, Greil mercenaries, Jill, Pelleas, Sumia, Maribelle, Kaze, Charlotte and dancers. These will eventually make the game probably in the next year.

Everyone else mentionned is a good idea in my opinion.

I don't see any of those characters staying 5-star, I think they'll all be put into the 4 or 3-star pool, hence their listing.

14 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I don't see any of those characters staying 5-star, I think they'll all be put into the 4 or 3-star pool, hence their listing.

I thought we were discussing characters that would appear outside of banners, say for a potential new surge of 3*4* exclusive characters. Not necessarily characters that would not be dropped to 4* afterwards. All of these I feel are banner characters.

I also believe characters like Hardin, Mareeta, Jill and Myrrh will remain 5* exclusives. Only a third of banner characters get dropped nowadays.

30 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I thought we were discussing characters that would appear outside of banners, say for a potential new surge of 3*4* exclusive characters. Not necessarily characters that would not be dropped to 4* afterwards. All of these I feel are banner characters.

I also believe characters like Hardin, Mareeta, Jill and Myrrh will remain 5* exclusives. Only a third of banner characters get dropped nowadays.

Hardin I could see dropping since normal Hardin isn't the most popular IIRC, but I would be a little surprised if Mareeta and Myrrh dropped, and Jill I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. I could see Gerik, Sumia, and Charlotte also not dropping.